• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Multiplayer Media (Spartan Ops & War Games)

I really don't like the sound of some of these changes. I don't really mind change within itself but it seems that even 343 isn't confident that they can do this as playlists will seemingly be segmented and players will have "drastically" different play styles available. While that may sound fine, what Reach has taught me is that the worst play lists have the most population while the better playlists are killed off or have little to no players.

jet1911

I really don't like the sound of some of these changes. I don't really mind change within itself but it seems that even 343 isn't confident that they can do this as playlists will seemingly be segmented and players will have "drastically" different play styles available. While that may sound fine, what Reach has taught me is that the worst play lists have the most population while the better playlists are killed off or have little to no players.

So maybe they're the best playlist after all ;)

TheOddOne

Updated list of changes with all of Walshy and Bravo's comments.

Check out his videos: Walshy Halo 4 Day One | Day Two | Day Three | Wrap-up

My write-up.

Multiplayer:
  • Incendiary weapons are Forerunner weapons, such as the Scattershot and Lightrifle we saw during the campaign reveal.
  • Every time a Forerunner weapon is used, you will get that incendiary animation when killing someone.
  • You can bounce off the Scattershot, kind of like the Grenade Launcher from Halo Reach.
  • One of the new armor abilities is a shield, when equipped you go into third person and you will not be able to shoot.
  • Shield is able to deflect Scattershots – can cause people to commit suicide when used effectively.
  • There is a multiplayer mode called Infinite Slayer, with it there is a new point system in where you get points for kills, assist, double-kills, killing spree and more.
  • There is a risk and reward aspect in the point system, for example if you go for assassinations you will get more points.
  • The Battle Rifle is three-shot burst, there is an indicator when your shots are hitting. On the gun you will see hash marks around your cursor indicating that.
  • Promethean vision does a pulsing wave when equipped, it hits any anybody who is in the area.
  • There is a possibility to use the full usage percentage of armor ability to see pretty far across the map.
  • When you get hit by Promethean vision you will get a audio cue that somebody is using it.
  • Sniper Rifle has a lot more recoil to it, between shots it took a while to re-centre it. It was difficult to explain, but it felt powerful and a one-shot kill weapon.
  • There is a circle bar on the left side, like the armor ability bar from Reach, on the screen. The more points you get the more it fills up and when it’s full you get to choose a ordnance drop.
  • You get to choose three things from the ordnance drops via the D-pad.
  • On the right D-pad is going to be power ups, for example speedboost (you move faster, reload faster), powerboost (lets you do more damage) and overshield.
  • When somebody is using a power up you will know it via visual tricks such as when you have powerboost you will be red. If you have overshield, you will be green.
  • On the right D-pad are weapons such as the Scattershot. They are balancing it out per map basis, on certain levels sniper is the best so that is the highest weapon you can get.
  • The ordnance drops carry over when respawned, so if you die before you used it you will get to use when respawned.
  • Ordnance drops are very nearby when used and anybody can take it from you.
  • Ordnance drops indicators are active when you are nearby, not when you’re on the other side of the map.
  • Walshy estimated that there are 1300 possible load-out combinations from the build he played.
  • There will be more tactical options, support options, armor abilities, weapons and more when the game comes out.
  • The fourth option for tactical option is “Shielding”, which makes your shield recharge faster.
  • With the tactical option “Resupply” you can pick up grenades from your teammates or enemies. You can’t do this without the perk.
  • The tactical option ”AA efficiency” lets your armor ability recharge faster.
  • The support option “Ammo” gives you more ammo from the moment you spawn, but also the ordnance drops you call in have more ammo.
  • The support option “Sensor” increases the distance of your radar and the sensitivity of it.
  • The support option “Awareness” lets you see your radar while zoomed in.
  • The support option “Mobility” lets you have infinite sprint. Normal sprint is for 7 seconds estimates Walshy.
  • With the armor ability “Thruster pack” you get only one burst and you can go every direction you want. You can’t shoot when using it and screen goes blurry.
  • The armor ability “Shield” has infinite damage, third person and you can’t shoot. You move fairly slow. Shield lasts about 8 seconds before it dissipates and needs to recharge to use again.
  • Scattershot has a five bullet clip and you get six buckshots off of it. The rounds can bounce off of surfaces. Can shoot around corners.
  • There is a Spartan Laser, much like that one from Halo 3, and takes a while to recharge.
  • The spawn system is close to Halo 1, because you spawn close to your teammates.
  • You don’t spawn where your teammates are spawning, but you spawn where they are. Same system seems to be in place for Spartan Ops.
  • They did not get to see the railgun, active camo in action and the ranking system.
  • 343 is still finalizing the ranking system. They think there might be two parallel ranking systems going on, the normal military grade ranking and trueskill ranking (“Frankie just reached rank A-7”).
  • The first time they played the game it felt the controls were clunky and slow, but spending more time with it they adjusted to it.
  • 343 did not comment on whether classic slayer will be back or they will be sticking to the point based infinite slayer.
  • The ordnance drops are very near the player, but Walshy encountered one moment where they spawned it and it dropped pretty far from him .
  • There is bleedthrough and it is easily noticeable.
  • When zoomed in they were not getting knocked out of it while being shot. Bravo noted that Frankie said that the game was still a work-in-progress, they are still tweaking the game.
  • Bravo noted that some Halo pros did not at all like the changes being introduced.
Spartan Ops:
  • Spartan Ops takes places six months after the campaign.
  • Spartan Ops has matchmaking, difficulty is from easy to legendary.
  • On easy the mission they played took about 10 to 15 minutes.
  • 343 is not recycling maps from campaign or multiplayer, they are new standalone maps.
  • 343 is banking on the first season of Spartan Ops being a full campaign worth of martial.

Bombadil

Banned
Did they bring back spike grenades?

Spike_Grenade.png

I love these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvpTcncoPH8

Remembering the great stuff about Halo 3 makes me hate Halo Reach that much more. Bungie dropped the ball big time.

Did they bring back spike grenades?

Spike_Grenade.png

I love these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvpTcncoPH8

Remembering the great stuff about Halo 3 makes me hate Halo Reach that much more. Bungie dropped the ball big time.

doubt it as they are a brute weapon, but wouldnt be surprised to see a forerunner grenade variant, or even a forerunner brute chopper like vehicle

I reallu didnt like Halo 3's maps save for Guardian. I like Reach because it was different but only really play team swat, which reminds me of a Halo + classic Rainbow Six 3, two of my favorite franchises

Insaniac

Am I the only one who thinks the majority of the gun audio is incredibly plain and lackluster? There's so little oomph to it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Im gonna post this over here since some do not venture into the community thread and may find this interesting..

The following weapons are all being held by Prometheans.

Lightrifle

nc6zk.jpg

Scattershot

6pPgE.png

Mystery Gun 1

QRVxO.jpg

Mystery Gun 2

ERAQt.jpg

Mystery Gun 3

uSJon.png

I don't like the fact they all look so similar to each other. I understand they need to preserve a similar style, but the Covenant weapons were immediately recognizable from their silhouette, I never noticed there were these many forerunner weapons and I watched all the videos.

Izayoi

Banned
Isolation was gorgeous and had a cool effect (the spreading Flood spores), but otherwise was awful. Epitaph also looked cool, but again was awful. I really liked Halo 3's art style, thinking back. I'd kill for a PC port some time down the line where we can crank the IQ, the game deserves that much at least.

I don't like the fact they all look so similar to each other. I understand they need to preserve a similar style, but the Covenant weapons were immediately recognizable from their silhouette, I never noticed there were these many forerunner weapons and I watched all the videos.
Agreed. It's possible that they're placeholders, the Scattershot and Lightrifle are distinctive enough from one another.

Updated list of changes with all of Walshy and Bravo's comments.

Check out his videos: Walshy Halo 4 Day One | Day Two | Day Three | Wrap-up

My write-up.

Multiplayer:
  • Incendiary weapons are Forerunner weapons, such as the Scattershot and Lightrifle we saw during the campaign reveal.
  • Every time a Forerunner weapon is used, you will get that incendiary animation when killing someone.
  • You can bounce off the Scattershot, kind of like the Grenade Launcher from Halo Reach.
  • One of the new armor abilities is a shield, when equipped you go into third person and you will not be able to shoot.
  • Shield is able to deflect Scattershots – can cause people to commit suicide when used effectively.
  • There is a multiplayer mode called Infinite Slayer, with it there is a new point system in where you get points for kills, assist, double-kills, killing spree and more.
  • There is a risk and reward aspect in the point system, for example if you go for assassinations you will get more points.
  • The Battle Rifle is three-shot burst, there is an indicator when your shots are hitting. On the gun you will see hash marks around your cursor indicating that.
  • Promethean vision does a pulsing wave when equipped, it hits any anybody who is in the area.
  • There is a possibility to use the full usage percentage of armor ability to see pretty far across the map.
  • When you get hit by Promethean vision you will get a audio cue that somebody is using it.
  • Sniper Rifle has a lot more recoil to it, between shots it took a while to re-centre it. It was difficult to explain, but it felt powerful and a one-shot kill weapon.
    [*]There is a circle bar on the left side, like the armor ability bar from Reach, on the screen. The more points you get the more it fills up and when it’s full you get to choose a ordnance drop.
    [*]You get to choose three things from the ordnance drops via the D-pad.
    [*]On the right D-pad is going to be power ups, for example speedboost (you move faster, reload faster), powerboost (lets you do more damage) and overshield.
    [*]When somebody is using a power up you will know it via visual tricks such as when you have powerboost you will be red. If you have overshield, you will be green.
    [*]On the right D-pad are weapons such as the Scattershot. They are balancing it out per map basis, on certain levels sniper is the best so that is the highest weapon you can get.
    [*]The ordnance drops carry over when respawned, so if you die before you used it you will get to use when respawned.
    [*]Ordnance drops are very nearby when used and anybody can take it from you.
    [*]Ordnance drops indicators are active when you are nearby, not when you’re on the other side of the map.
    [*]Walshy estimated that there are 1300 possible load-out combinations from the build he played.
    [*]There will be more tactical options, support options, armor abilities, weapons and more when the game comes out.
    [*]The fourth option for tactical option is “Shielding”, which makes your shield recharge faster.
    [*]With the tactical option “Resupply” you can pick up grenades from your teammates or enemies. You can’t do this without the perk.
    [*]The tactical option ”AA efficiency” lets your armor ability recharge faster.
    [*]The support option “Ammo” gives you more ammo from the moment you spawn, but also the ordnance drops you call in have more ammo.
    [*]The support option “Sensor” increases the distance of your radar and the sensitivity of it.
    [*]The support option “Awareness” lets you see your radar while zoomed in.
    [*]The support option “Mobility” lets you have infinite sprint. Normal sprint is for 7 seconds estimates Walshy.
    [*]With the armor ability “Thruster pack” you get only one burst and you can go every direction you want. You can’t shoot when using it and screen goes blurry.
    [*]The armor ability “Shield” has infinite damage, third person and you can’t shoot. You move fairly slow. Shield lasts about 8 seconds before it dissipates and needs to recharge to use again.
  • Scattershot has a five bullet clip and you get six buckshots off of it. The rounds can bounce off of surfaces. Can shoot around corners.
  • There is a Spartan Laser, much like that one from Halo 3, and takes a while to recharge.
  • The spawn system is close to Halo 1, because you spawn close to your teammates.
  • You don’t spawn where your teammates are spawning, but you spawn where they are. Same system seems to be in place for Spartan Ops.
  • They did not get to see the railgun, active camo in action and the ranking system.
  • 343 is still finalizing the ranking system. They think there might be two parallel ranking systems going on, the normal military grade ranking and trueskill ranking (“Frankie just reached rank A-7”).
  • The first time they played the game it felt the controls were clunky and slow, but spending more time with it they adjusted to it.
  • 343 did not comment on whether classic slayer will be back or they will be sticking to the point based infinite slayer.
  • The ordnance drops are very near the player, but Walshy encountered one moment where they spawned it and it dropped pretty far from him .
  • There is bleedthrough and it is easily noticeable.
  • When zoomed in they were not getting knocked out of it while being shot. Bravo noted that Frankie said that the game was still a work-in-progress, they are still tweaking the game.
  • Bravo noted that some Halo pros did not at all like the changes being introduced.

Just fucking dreadful. Wtf?

NJ Shlice

I disagree. The size and scope are enough to tell them apart. You can argue that the DMR, BR, and Sniper are all identical because they are dark gray/black ?

And what exactly are the best playlists that no one is playing?

One thing that really bothers me more and more these days are the voting system. Too often, people end up choosing the same map/game-type over and over and it makes the game lack variety.

I really like the way Gears3 does it, you select your playlist and it just loads one maps after the other without having to choose or vote. So like that, every map is played, you get some variety and you don't have those times that you'll play on the same map 3 out of 5 times.

Im really curious has to how Halo4 is going to do this.

Bombadil

Banned
doubt it as they are a brute weapon, but wouldnt be surprised to see a forerunner grenade variant, or even a forerunner brute chopper like vehicle

I reallu didnt like Halo 3's maps save for Guardian. I like Reach because it was different but only really play team swat, which reminds me of a Halo + classic Rainbow Six 3, two of my favorite franchises

I hate the Bungie/343 philosophy of only including things in the game that "make sense" in the storyline. Do they really think players give a shit about maintaining story coherence when it comes to multiplayer? I loved the spike grenades. They were a great addition to the series and had really awesome physics. It doesn't matter to me that the Brutes are no longer in the game. The Brute shot and the spike grenades and even the spikers to some extent were interesting weapons that should be included in Halo 4, continuity be damned. I also don't like how 343 went out of their way to fit the multiplayer into the fiction with their Infinity ship. In all my years of playing Halo games it has never occurred to me to ask why a bunch of red and blue spartans are fighting on a map. I didn't need it to "make sense." It was fun and that's all that mattered.

I think Guardian was the best Halo 3 map as well, but I loved Narrows and The Pit was a good map (not for its style but for its design). Last Resort, High Ground, Construct, Rat's Nest, and Valhalla were also good maps. The only ones that sucked were Isolation and Blackout (should have been a proper Lockout remake).

In Summary: Please include Spike Grenades and other Brute-associated weapons and vehicles because they were great additions to the series. Story continuity means nothing to multiplayer.

I hate the Bungie/343 philosophy of only including things in the game that "make sense" in the storyline. Do they really think players give a shit about maintaining story coherence when it comes to multiplayer? I loved the spike grenades. They were a great addition to the series and had really awesome physics. It doesn't matter to me that the Brutes are no longer in the game. The Brute shot and the spike grenades and even the spikers to some extent were interesting weapons that should be included in Halo 4, continuity be damned. I also don't like how 343 went out of their way to fit the multiplayer into the fiction with their Infinity ship. In all my years of playing Halo games it has never occurred to me to ask why a bunch of red and blue spartans are fighting on a map. I didn't need it to "make sense." It was fun and that's all that mattered.

I think Guardian was the best Halo 3 map as well, but I loved Narrows and The Pit was a good map (not for its style but for its design). Last Resort, High Ground, Construct, Rat's Nest, and Valhalla were also good maps. The only ones that sucked were Isolation and Blackout (should have been a proper Lockout remake).

In Summary: Please include Spike Grenades and other Brute-associated weapons and vehicles because they were great additions to the series. Story continuity means nothing to multiplayer.

This. It's funny they try to put so much emphasis on making sure the story of why RvB is a thing ties into the universe. They already royally fucked the Halo canon up with Reach anyways, it doesn't matter anymore.

so MLG's site is referring to derelict ship map as Haven and the Forerunner tower map as Adrift, this is the opposite of what I thought I had heard them called before, can anyone verify MLG being correct? (they probably are)

so MLG's site is referring to derelict ship map as Haven and the Forerunner tower map as Adrift, this is the opposite of what I thought I had heard them called before, can anyone verify MLG being correct? (they probably are)

MLG has them reversed.

Adrift is the human-themed ship. (Previously known under the code name Warhouse.)

Haven is the sunny Forerunner map. (Previously Wraparound.)

Longbow is the third map shown at E3, it's a snowy BTB map.

Brannon

Looking good. The HEADSHOT or whatever text that appears smack dab in the middle of the screen is quite annoying, but maybe we'll be able to get rid of that.

volturnus

Banned
''The armor ability “Shield” has infinite damage, third person and you can’t shoot. You move fairly slow. Shield lasts about 8 seconds before it dissipates and needs to recharge to use again.''

Why, Frankie?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

I approve of this post. Halo 3 had the best weapon/vehicle sandbox IMO.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I finally watched the E3 trailer stuff and it made me replay levels of Halo 3 and Reach. So I forgot I really liked Halo. So I started reading more on this stuff.

Question on Spartan Ops: is it new content in the traditional sense? Like is it new levels or just new objectives within existing levels? I heard David Ellis on a bunch of podcasts and I don't understand how they could produce new "levels" (as in new geometry) every week. I'm imagining this being more like RPG maker. Am I wrong?

So I finally watched the E3 trailer stuff and it made me replay levels of Halo 3 and Reach. So I forgot I really liked Halo. So I started reading more on this stuff.

Question on Spartan Ops: is it new content in the traditional sense? Like is it new levels or just new objectives within existing levels? I heard David Ellis on a bunch of podcasts and I don't understand how they could produce new "levels" (as in new geometry) every week. I'm imagining this being more like RPG maker. Am I wrong?

They said that SP, MP and spartan ops will all have original content. No taking from other parts of the game and putting them in Spartan ops or mp.

TheOddOne

Frank said on the Giantbomb podcast that Spartan Ops will take place 6 months after the campaign and will revisit Requiem (The place where Halo 4 takes place). The player will revisit heavily changed locations, but there is a massively amount of brand new content such as level layouts and even types of environments. There is brand new content that is not seen or reused from anywhere else.

See 20:20 - 21:30 of Giantbomb E3 Day 3 podcast to hear him explain it.

wwm0nkey

New levels weekly (though I am sure some will be reused) and they are downloaded. Also you can play different missions of different levels too.

(Also if you like Halo you should start reading the Forerunner books.)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I do like Halo a lot (I own all the games, including Halo Wars...I'm playing that now actually), but I don't know that I like it enough to read the books.

Once I read a Resistance book and I felt really weird after.

Frank said on the Giantbomb podcast that Spartan Ops will take place 6 months after the campaign and will revisit Requiem (The place where Halo 4 takes place). The player will revisit heavily changed locations, but there is a massively amount of brand new content such as level layouts and even types of environments. There is brand new content that is not seen or reused from anywhere else.

See 20:20 - 21:30 of Giantbomb E3 Day 3 podcast to hear him explain it.

Completely understand that Spartan Ops content will be unique to Spartan Ops, but it seemed so crazy to me that they could pump out entirely new content on a weekly basis. I could see a mix of Forge-ish reimaginings and then totally new levels every once in a while.

Gui_PT

I do like Halo a lot (I own all the games, including Halo Wars), but I don't know that I like it enough to read the books.

Get some Halo books. Do it. Most of them are quite enjoyable

I do like Halo a lot (I own all the games, including Halo Wars), but I don't know that I like it enough to read the books.

Halo has some of the best books out in terms of "video game books" some great sci fi writers pen the newer ones but the early stuff is good aswell.

Grab "The Fall of Reach" its fairly cheap now. If you like it go from there

TheOddOne

Completely understand that Spartan Ops content will be unique to Spartan Ops, but it seemed so crazy to be that they could pump out entirely new content on a weekly basis. I could see a mix of Forge-ish reimaginings and then totally new levels every once in a while.
I share the sentiment, sounds a bit too good to be true.

wwm0nkey

Completely understand that Spartan Ops content will be unique to Spartan Ops, but it seemed so crazy to be that they could pump out entirely new content on a weekly basis. I could see a mix of Forge-ish reimaginings and then totally new levels every once in a while.

Halo books are actually good (well I personally felt The Flood and Cole Protocol were awful) and the new Forrunner books are just great sci-fi books.

Overdoziz

Banned
Completely understand that Spartan Ops content will be unique to Spartan Ops, but it seemed so crazy to me that they could pump out entirely new content on a weekly basis. I could see a mix of Forge-ish reimaginings and then totally new levels every once in a while.
I imagine they've got season 1 ready before the game is even released. They just don't let you play all of it straight away.

I still find it a bit odd that they seem to be creating "content close to a campaign length long" and still only ship the game with 10 maps.

Roche

Halo books are actually good (well I personally felt The Flood and Cole Protocol were awful) and the new Forrunner books are just great sci-fi books.

I agree with you that "The Flood" was pretty terrible, but I always thought "Cole Protocol" was pretty decent. Nothing spectacular but worth a shot if you're into the series.

I agree with you that "The Flood" was pretty terrible, but I always thought "Cole Protocol" was pretty decent. Nothing spectacular but worth a shot if you're into the series.

Yep, Flood is terrible. I couldn't get through Contact Harvest either.

Fall of Reach, Ghosts of Onyx and Halo: Evolutions are the best books IMO.

Top Bottom