• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 doesn't, and won't, have splitscreen - but Halo 6 might

Lothars

Pure anecdotal observation here but, almost every time I hear mention of the Halo 5 campaign it's in the context of playing it solo with the AI companions. I was honestly expecting to hear more about people rolling 4-deep through the campaign but I haven't. Could the splitscreen-only playerbase have represented a larger portion compared to online coop players than they had thought?
I think more people use it than some seem to think.

Split Screen is great even though i don't use it myself that often.

KingV

Pure anecdotal observation here but, almost every time I hear mention of the Halo 5 campaign it's in the context of playing it solo with the AI companions. I was honestly expecting to hear more about people rolling 4-deep through the campaign but I haven't. Could the splitscreen-only playerbase have represented a larger portion compared to online coop players than they had thought?

I think the issue is lack of matchmaking for co op. It's just harder to coordinate.

Floody

Fucking 1080p culture.

60 fps with split-screen at a lower resolution >

Wouldn't they probably have to go sub 720p for something like that (and have it looking like ass)? The consoles can barely get one screen at 60, at random resolutions, I doubt we'll get 2 anytime soon.

bede-x

Unless they go back down to 30 fps for splitscreen or have some pretty radical optimizations to their engine, I don't understand how they could possibly do this while maintaining a graphical level similar to halo 5 (or have anything close to the singleplayer experience of halo 6 if that is the route they take).

Cut back on the details or resolution (not the framerate) until they get it running. No one expects splitscreen to look as good as singleplayer. The old Halo games did it and they still ran pretty well even in coop (though the framerate was lower)

wait-what-gif.gif

Fitting.

I have a feeling this means them majorly reworking engine logic to run at 60fps behind the scenes with the ability to drop the render framerate for SS. Absolutely something that would be a massive undertaking if they were to try to patch it in.

But for a new game, plausible.

bede-x

Isn't split screen pretty much a thing of the distant past these days?

Nope, some of us still do a lot of coop that way. These days I'm enjoying the latest chapters of Earth Defense Force and Samurai Warriors, and I really wish I could say Halo, but since they cut splitscreen, there wasn't much reason for me buying it. It does look lovely in all its 60fps glory though and I hope they keep that and add splitscreen next time.

Kibbles

Halo 5 is fantastic, but the lack of splitscreen really is a huge blow.

My friend came round to see the game with the idea that we'd pass the pad back and forth and go through the campaign. We ended up giving up after the first mission and playing Halo 3 in splitscreen instead. This is the first Halo launch since Halo 2 that my social group hasn't organised a huge launch day LAN, and that's just a huge part of Halo that's lost for me.
These games don't even have LAN anymore so if you don't have a Internet connection your fucked :/ Doesn't make sense to me, especially with all the problems that happened with MCC in their tournaments with people getting disconnected.

J@hranimo

Banned
Halo 6 might have splitscreen? Halo 6 to not have 60fps confirmed
/s

Seriously, that's pretty good if they manage to do that while retain the performance of Halo 5.

Sulik2

Underpowered Xbox couldn't handle 60FPS and split/screen. No big mystery. I would rather have had Halo at 30FPS with better graphics and split/screen personally. The next Halo game is either gonna be 30FPS or a launch title for their next console would be my bet.

RedFury

Well fuck I forgot this was a thing, was waiting for my son to get home from school so we could split screen. (I work out of town and come see my family on weekends, my girl is in vet school here) I saw all the rage about it too just completely forgot since its always been there, damn. I know this is my fault but it's the cherry on the cake on top of all the other little problems the game has, and sums up 343 halos for me quite well...disappointing.

I've often used splitscreen when friend/family wanted to play some Halo. Even though I'll probably go with a Live subscription this time whenever I get to Xbox One, I'll still miss splitscreen on Halo 5.

robotrock

Banned
Lol would be really nice if Halo 6 has splitscreen. Been hogging the Xbone all week playing Halo and my step brother hasn't even had a chance to check it out. We usually play through those games split screen, but not this time.

farisr

Honestly, this is just making my suspicions more and more likely.

MS/343 absolutely wanted a Halo game out for this holiday season and optimizing the code to allow this feature at 60fps just simply wasn't feasible in the time that they had.

Feature wasn't deemed important enough to be given priority or possibly delay the game over.

This'll be the first Halo game I sell off after completing the campaign, and I bought MCC at launch andl kept it despite all the issues that were there.

These local multiplayer options are the reason why me and my friends are still playing Rocket League, and buying all the dlc up as soon as it comes out.

It is entirely the reason why I got into COD in the first place and started buying those games and the map packs. A game I can play online alone, and also play alongside a friend when I'm at his place, or he's at mine, or play with other folks in the house is going to get much more investment from me than a game that I can only play alone.

bede-x

I'm glad they spent their time on other parts of the game. Splitscreen sucks. It's not the 90's anymore.

Wanting to play with your buddy without buying two copies and paying for two live subscriptions has nothing to do with the nineties. That's why games like CoD: Black Ops 3, the new Star Wars Battlefront 3, Minecraft, Rocket League and others include split screen.

Hoje0308

Banned
Wouldn't they probably have to go sub 720p for something like that (and have it looking like ass)? The consoles can barely get one screen at 60, at random resolutions, I doubt we'll get 2 anytime soon.

It already drops to 1152x810, which is like 11 thousand more pixels than 1280x720. That's the absolute lowest and is not indicative of general performance, but the point remains that 343 is already digging deep just to get the game running at 60 frames, period. I've no idea what that guy is thinking (and it seems neither does he), but at least I got a laugh out of his "1080p culture" nonsense.

MS/343 absolutely wanted a Halo game out for this holiday season and optimizing the code to allow this feature at 60fps just simply wasn't feasible in the time that they had.

Feature wasn't deemed important enough to be given priority or possibly delay the game over.

Yeah, if only they had just optimized more the game would run at 60 fps during a splitscreen session....

Wow

This'll be the first Halo game I sell off after completing the campaign, and I bought MCC at launch andl kept it despite all the issues that were there.

These local multiplayer options are the reason why me and my friends are still playing Rocket League, and buying all the dlc up as soon as it comes out.

It is entirely the reason why I got into COD in the first place and started buying those games and the map packs. A game I can play online alone, and also play alongside a friend when I'm at his place, or he's at mine, or play with other folks in the house is going to get much more investment from me than a game that I can only play alone.

Nonsense. They had three years. They could have all the time in the world and it would not run 60fps on split screen with the Xbox one.

They should give you coop matchmaking though.

I bet split screen is one of those things where people rarely use it, but they highly value the moments when they do, and 343 misread the situation.

I know that's how it works for me. Like, I don't even like RE5 that much but the full day I spent drinking beer and playing through it locally with my friend is one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had.
I think this is a good way to read the situation. Regardless of the implementation, people playing together on the same screen are still a thing. Looking at the best selling games of 2014, 7 out of 10 feature ways to play together on the same couch. This could be meaningless but it might also mean that online gaming didn't stop people from having siblings, friends, roommates or significant others they want to play with.

CryptiK

Lets hope a new Xbox is out by then. Because the game already suffered horrible in the graphics department on a single screen.

PnCIa

Lets hope a new Xbox is out by then. Because the game already suffered horrible in the graphics department on a single screen.
You may have not noticed that the game runs at 60 FPS. You should be aware that 60 FPS makes any other flaw in the graphics department meaningless. At least thats what i keep hearing.

On a serious note, i remember the last time this was discussed that quite a few posters wrote that 60 FPS is more important to them and that they support 343s decision. Now even the developer backtracked. Thats kinda funny.

The game fails to run well even during single player, with the absolutely hideous 30 fps enemies and super obvious lod changes. The Xbox one can't run a game like this with split screen because it can't even run it with one screen. So hopefully they don't even try next game, because it'll end up a bigger mess than 5 turned out to be.

jelly

Is this the buy one get one free Xbox One promotion in 2017?

Two TVs required. :p

Co-op really needs matchmaking. Yeah it didn't always work great, people left in Reach but you know, improve it, dedicated servers etc. Don't give up.

CryptiK

You may have not noticed that the game runs at 60 FPS. You should be aware that 60 FPS makes any other flaw in the graphics department meaningless. At least thats what i keep hearing.

On a serious note, i remember the last time this was discussed that quite a few posters wrote that 60 FPS is more important to them and that they support 343s decision. Now even the developer backtracked. Thats kinda funny.
Its a combination of the engine and the systems fault. It should in no way be acceptable in either case but with the XBone being as weak as it is we have to deal with it and hope they dont fuck up the next one or releasd Halo 5 on PC because at 1080p and with AA this game would look fucking amazing. But unfortunately it joins the rest in mediocrity.

hwalker84

I'd rather by another xbox and move another TV into the living room before i play split-screen ever again. It such a crappy experience.

farisr

Yeah, if only they had just optimized more the game would run at 60 fps during a splitscreen session....

Wow
What's so wow about it. That it's true?

Nonsense. They had three years. They could have all the time in the world and it would not run 60fps on split screen with the Xbox one.
You optimize the game settings for splitscreen mode, you scale back things like texture quality, asset fidelity. resolution etc. That's how splitscreen modes work.

The Xbox One can't do it? LOL. No.

There's a reason they're saying they're looking into it for Halo 6. It's possible. A decision was made to not include the feature (maybe because it would've required too much time, or resources and they didn't feel it was worth it), and hence they didn't work towards putting it in. That's why it's not there.

Hoje0308

Banned
What's so wow about it. That it's true?

You optimize the game settings for splitscreen mode, you scale back things like texture quality, asset fidelity. resolution etc. That's how splitscreen modes work.

The Xbox One can't do it? LOL. No.

There's a reason they're saying they're looking into it for Halo 6. It's possible. A decision was made to not include the feature (maybe because it would've required too much time, or resources and they didn't feel it was worth it), and hence they didn't work towards putting it in. That's why it's not there.

What's surprising is that it doesn't sound like you have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Textures already suffer, LOD management for both geometry and shadow maps is already aggressive to the point of being distracting, and the dynamic resolution drops to nearly 720p. All this while running a game for a single player. You assume you know why splitscreen wasn't included, yet your assumptions about optimization don't ever make contact with the facts. But keep thinking you're right, despite the evidence at hand.

Crazyorloco

They couldve done it...just tone the game down significantly and make it look like halo 4. PThat game wasnt bad looking. People would be happy with something.

Funny how for halo 6 they'll be able to do.

krang

Out of interest, from someone who knows significantly more about this than me, but why is split screen so much more resource-intensive than non-split screen? It's not like you're going from 1x1080p to 2x1080p. And the NPC and other players' positions only need to be calculated once.

If anything, to ensure a reasonable aspect ratio of each "screen", the black side bars reduce the used resolution even more making the output way a lot less than a full-screen single player mode.

BriGuy

What? I thought it was gorgeous to look at!

Was really impressed with both graphics and level design.
The level of detail "popping" kills it for me. I can't help myself from moving back and forth to watch details get added and erased before my very eyes.

Fox Mulder

Splitscreen has always been a big part of Halo. The fact that 5 doesn't have it completely put me off the game, shame too because I played the heck out of all the others.

yep.

but i didn't like 4, skipped the MCC shitshow, and have zero hype or desire for 5. Maybe Halo just isn't for me anymore. They might as well just move forward while hoping the people that love splitscreen just buy anyways.

The thing that made me a Halo fan was playing the Halo games on legendary, splitscreen with my brother. They have no idea what made Halo good.

Top Bottom