• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Forge - First PC Gameplay (Custom Match + 4K Map Flythrough)

Except that Forgers have been asking for such a tool for almost a decade now. It being on Windows 10 makes sense, since it's their latest OS, an UWP title and fits in into Xbox plans for their games. Of course it's also a pretty good Beta for future Halo titles.

Exactly how many people do you think this will attract? How many do you think will switch from Windows 7/8 to 10, because of this game?

I know quite a few friends who have upgraded to W10 because of this Halo app yes...especially once they broke the news that this was going to have a custom game browser (essentially server browser just like halo 1 and 2 on pc). This will also be the first thing I download from the Windows store.

I can tell you for certainty the majority of people who download this, will not be people who own xbox ones or give a crap about forge. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled actual forgers have way more options now, but that's almost besides the point.

So yes, I think this will app will help get a lot of people used to the windows store. Stuff like this and the free forza game are very effective and getting people onboard and using it.

membran

Sorry for being really dense here but, Halo 5 on PC???

I thought it was just the forge level builder coming out on PC. You can actually play this on PC??

And what about Warzone/Arena/Falafel?

This is pretty sick though!

You can play proper online custom games and Forge only, for free though. You'll need to invite people from your Xbox Live friends list or find strangers to play with via external means (discord groups, reddit LFG, etc) and add them to your friends list. 343i said they will indeed implement some form of custom game search filter to Halo 5 (both on PC and Xbox One) in an upcoming update, which is the really interesting part, because then you'd be able to find strangers to play against from within the PC version itself.

You have access to any original map and are able to import/export Forge maps from / to the Xbox One Version of Halo 5.

There's no matchmaking, no campaign, no warzone. But you have access to all REQ weapons and vehicles in Forge and custom games (this is also true for the Xbox One version since the latest update, I believe).

It was meant to be a quality-of-life gift to the Halo 5 Forger's scene because of mouse & keyboard support, and is probably also a sneaky way to drive people towards adopting the Win 10 store. Nevertheless, this is the Halo 5 engine on PC with free multiplayer support (you won't need Xbox Live Gold to play online) and a PC custom game scene could emerge from this. As most Halo veterans will hopefully agree with me: custom games are where it's at.

I can only properly launch the game through the Xbox App, otherwise it won't sign me in, and I can't for the life of me find any files to change the FOV.

To even access the folder the damn exe is in, you need to jump through a bunch of permission based hoops.

UWP is terrible.

Fret

I can only properly launch the game through the Xbox App, otherwise it won't sign me in, and I can't for the life of me find any files to change the FOV.

To even access the folder the damn exe is in, you need to jump through a bunch of permission based hoops.

UWP is terrible.

i doubt you're just gonna come across a file that will let you change the fov

Miker

Thruster on caps lock is kind of awkward. It's difficult for me to thrust backwards, and I feel like it might be better on shift but that's for sprinting.

membran

Exactly how many people do you think this will attract? How many do you think will switch from Windows 7/8 to 10, because of this game?

Well, upgrading to Win 10 isn't free anymore. If anything, I could see this bringing existing Win 10 users to even take a look at that Win 10 app store in the first place, if Forza 6: Apex couldn't make them do it.

So can anyone tell or figure out if Controller aiming is just like on Console? Like with Magnetism? I know in custom games keyboard and mouse users will still be better but I still want to use a controller.

membran

They really should've added bots to this.

There never have been bots in Halo's multiplayer, and making (good) bots from scratch is hard, tricky work - and way beyond the scope of this port. Let's hope they'll get that announced custom game browser right. But this is probably weeks and months away. For now, you'll need to use discord groups or something to get a game going. It's cumbersome but better than nothing. And if you're sending a couple of friends invites when playing vs other people, you'll build a list of 30+ players to invite directly from within the game in just a few days time. It's doable but requires a bit of effort in the beginning. Then again, it's free.

MadGear

So does the game actually require feature level 12_0 support to download and launch? It says DX12 isn't supported with my 780 (11_0). That would suck. Ever since I heard of the upcoming custom game browser I have been looking forward to this.

Is there a particular discord group that is clearly the one everyone is using for PC customs?

I want to get in on this but I imagine at the moment there are probably 10 different groups being made.

Tovarisc

That FOV looks so bad :/ Kinda sucking out interest of trying this one out. Yeah, FOV matters to me quite a bit in FPS games.

Edit:
Did anyone seriously think that would let you change the fov...both bungie and 343i have been very serious about that being the right way to play.

I can see that being acceptable console FOV when sitting on couch at X meters from your screen, but hardly same on PC.

That FOV looks so bad :/ Kinda sucking out interest of trying this one out. Yeah, FOV matters to me quite a bit in FPS games.

Edit:

I can see that being acceptable console FOV when sitting on couch at X meters from your screen, but hardly same on PC.

Honestly for H5 I think it even got a few complaints from console users at launch. The restricted fov is a bit much imo.

mcrommert

Banned

Edit:

Most of the time i play halo 5 i do it on a monitor right in front of me...they will never give you a fov slider...ever...so time to move on

Jawmuncher

The fov complaints making it sound like the game looks this
3lDw2.jpg

Alexious

Did anyone seriously think that would let you change the fov...both bungie and 343i have been very serious about that being the right way to play.

Perhaps on Xbox, but PC is a different matter. I hope they'll listen to complaints and introduce a slider, even a limited one.

Tovarisc

Most of the time i play halo 5 i do it on a monitor right in front of me...they will never give you a fov slider...ever...so time to move on

The fov complaints making it sound like the game looks this

Issue with the FOV is that it's too narrow. Some people can and will get headaches, motion sickness etc. from playing H5. Pic Jawmuncher linked is tad different where FOV is too high causing extreme fish eye effect. Luckily I have only encountered one game that gave me physical issues because of garbage tier FOV, but to me low FOV feels claustrophobic and forces unnecessary camera spanning in order to see your front left and right angles. Sure you do that scanning even with e.g. 95 H.FOV, but having it that low as in H5 to me it gives this... forced feel / need to do it more than usual.

Game isn't even out yet and there's already a decent amount of whining.

Welcome to PC, Halo

Whining? There is legit reasons for people to dislike locked FOV even if mine aren't as... severe as some others.

mcrommert

Banned
Issue with the FOV is that it's too narrow. Some people can and will get headaches, motion sickness etc. from playing H5. Pic Jawmuncher linked is tad different where FOV is too high causing extreme fish eye effect. Luckily I have only encountered one game that gave me physical issues because of garbage tier FOV, but to me low FOV feels claustrophobic and forces unnecessary camera spanning in order to see your front left and right angles. Sure you do that scanning even with e.g. 95 H.FOV, but having it that low as in H5 to me it gives this... forced feel / need to do it more than usual.

Whining? There is legit reasons for people to dislike locked FOV even if mine aren't as... severe as some others.

Not a real pc release...given to you for free...didn't have to do even what they did

Whining...everywhere whining

Nipo

Seems the solution is pretty simple. Don't play. If a product makes you physically ill don't use that product. If enough people have that problem developers will take note and adapt. Complaining that a free product doesn't have every feature you want is overboard.

Velikost

If you look at the past few pages, it's not just about FOV, and it's not as tame as "Feature X I wanted isn't in? Bummer."

I've had some issues with my free game as well, but I'm not about to complain about it, especially when it's not even officially out yet.

CryptiK

No FOV setting and 60FPS lock. Disappointed :<

Not a real pc release...given to you for free...didn't have to do even what they did

Requires you to have Windows 10 anniversary. It being free isn't an excuse for it to lack specific features.

Fret

Game isn't even out yet and there's already a decent amount of whining.

Welcome to PC, Halo

Seems the solution is pretty simple. Don't play. If a product makes you physically ill don't use that product. If enough people have that problem developers will take note and adapt. Complaining that a free product doesn't have every feature you want is overboard.

whining? lmao what?

FOV is a HUGE issue for playing on PC. I don't care if a game is free or $100, it must have an fov slider to be actually playable.

xJavonta

Banned
People saying that a PC game shouldn't have an FOV slider is bizarre to me. The "right way to play" isn't a good reason, it's an excuse and a shitty one

watership

I love the FOV posts. From someone who thinks crazy FOVs above 80 ruins games. Especially competitive multiplayer, where seeing things at a 100 angle changes your advantage.

No FOV setting and 60FPS lock. Disappointed :<

Requires you to have Windows 10 anniversary. It being free isn't an excuse for it to lack specific features.

It can forge maps and test maps, sounds like feature complete to me.

I mean really people need to realize this is not for them, this is for forgers.

Magwik

Banned
Anyone know how to monitor framerate in UWP? I can tell I have some dips here and there and wanted to see how bad it was.

Fret

Then why make the distinction if the entirety of it was irrelevant? What was the point about mentioning that feature specifically and attributing it to something being unplayable?

because it was very obvious to figure out what i was saying? fov slider & fov are the same thing in this conversation. the game has neither, thus the problem.

Well, upgrading to Win 10 isn't free anymore. If anything, I could see this bringing existing Win 10 users to even take a look at that Win 10 app store in the first place, if Forza 6: Apex couldn't make them do it.

You can still get windows 10 for free via: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Game is showing up as unavailable to me, is it because I'm in UK or because I don't have the Anniversary update yet?

membran

Right, I forgot about that. But it this widely known? When I read about it a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to me like a sneaky workaround.

Game is showing up as unavailable to me, is it because I'm in UK or because I don't have the Anniversary update yet?

It's been pulled a couple of hours ago, they apparently released it too early by accident. If you missed it, you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

In any case, you will need the Anniversary Update in order to download and play it, it depends on stuff that's in there.

Top Bottom