• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Haha oh god, Backwash. The map that was so visually unoptimized, they removed grenade starts from it. Then the shitty Xbox 360 backwards compatibility couldn't handle it, so it was just outright removed from playlists. Nicely done.

The 360 emulated it fine up until someone picked up active camo. All they had to do was remove camo from Backwash in matchmaking, but I guess they found it easier to just remove the map.

It was hilarious though, because if you selected it way later in Halo 2's run in customs, people that had picked up Halo 2 later on would seriously ask me if it was new DLC

wwm0nkey

It only happened once but I was playing backwash with dinner friends and the fog was moving SUPER fast fur some reason, made things a bit clearer too.

Chitown B

Has anything flood related been good? Flood campaign levels have always been my least favorite. They're an inherently annoying ass enemy to fight and the levels always seem have confusing layouts along with an incredibly ugly brown/green aesthetic.

Halo 3 - Cortana

SUCKED SO MUCH.

IHaveIce

Banned
Customs are private. Always have been, always will be. It's by design. If you want public just go to matchmaking.
I wouldn't be so sure about always will be, Frankie onece said the idea of a custom game browser or a more accessible way to search for custom games is a very good idea

Chitown B

I wouldn't be so sure about always will be, Frankie onece said the idea of a custom game browser or a more accessible way to search for custom games is a very good idea

I don't want randoms jumping into my customs. I play customs specifically with my clan. I don't understand why anyone would want this for Halo. This isn't Battlefield.

But will anything come of it? Let's not forget about XBL Public before Halo 3 came around.

EDIT:
I don't want randoms jumping into my customs. I play customs specifically with my clan. I don't understand why anyone would want this for Halo. This isn't Battlefield.
Hey buddy.. ever heard of privacy settings? You know, those things that block randies from joining your game and only allowing friends or requiring invites? They could illustrate their friends hosting "friends only" games in the Active Roster, etc.

Lots of potential.

Halo works both as an arena shooter and as a big team battle game, I just think that 343 need to place a wall between the two and keep them their own things.

A problem for all online shooters right now is that there is way too many of them out there, you can make an interesting mode like infiltration or whatever reach had but people will only play it seriously for the first few weeks, as much fun as that mode was it died too quickly as people bunny hop between different games.

Pro players like Ninja and Naded have been revisiting Halo 2 using xbox connect (to play LAN matches over the internet) and it's a real kick to see that game being played again, halo 3 and 4 dropped the speed and encounter rate and threw in way too many vehicles.

Pre-order stuff might just be timed exclusive?

Pre-ordering from shop-to gets you the Bonded Pair Skull

Pre-Order Halo: The Master Chief Collection to get the ShopTo exclusive Bonded Pair Skull DLC (co-op only) which gives a 100% damage boost for 60 seconds if your co-op partner dies. The 'Bonded Pair' Skull unlock for the Halo 2: Anniversary campaign is exclusive until 12/12/2014.

MysteryM

I wish we could search prior games for set gamer tags to work out if any of us had actually played with each other before.

I for one loved relic on team slayer, taking the sniper to the back rock where the warthog was and raining down fire on the main base was amazing.

I want this game so badly at the moment.

I wish we could search prior games for set gamer tags to work out if any of us had actually played with each other before.

I for one loved relic on team slayer, taking the sniper to the back rock where the warthog was and raining down fire on the main base was amazing.

I want this game so badly at the moment.

I've always wanted that too.

Akai__

Customs are private. Always have been, always will be. It's by design. If you want public just go to matchmaking.

Yes and no. Custom lobbies can be open to anybody, so people can join your game, whenever they want, unless you set it to invite or friends only.

Adding a custom game browser could also work this way, but instead of having to go on peoples profiles to join their game, you could search in a list and decide, what you want to play. Of course, people should still be able to chose, if they want to make it public or private.

I could see that working pretty good, with Halo MP.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Halo 3 - Cortana

SUCKED SO MUCH.

This level man, THIS FREAKING LEVEL. Even in medium difficulty I was lost many times and found it hard. I don't have guts to even check it out in legendary.

Could this be the system selling collection?

jlys.gif

I know I'm a broken record, but I really want Reach & ODST for completion sake. yo 343i, I will buy both as DLC! $10 each, multiplayer/firefight included. let's goooooo

it won't happen though, fml. BELIEVE

I know I'm a broken record, but I really want Reach & ODST for completion sake. yo 343i, I will buy both as DLC! $10 each, multiplayer/firefight included. let's goooooo

Jesus people. It's called the Master Chief Collection not the Halo Collection. IF it was the latter, then it warrants everyone's begging, but it doesn't so please let it go.

But i will agree with the buy both as DLC. That being said, no way in hell would it be 10 bucks each.

I hope it doesn't. Halo 4 had a very "next-gen" look to it, that I didn't like. Overemphasis on Browns, yellows, and cool blues. It's hard to explain, and I've talked about it in the HaloGAF threads. But the one thing I loved about older games was the abundance of color, the neons, green, purple etc.

There was this washed out look to Halo 4 I didn't like. Don't get me wrong, what they did with the game was great, especially on such ancient hardware. But like compare the "look" of Valhalla  in halo 3 to Ragnarok in halo 4. Obviously Halo 4 has much better visual fidelity, but do you see what I mean by the tint/lighting?

zGEb4.jpg

0s9rmyg.jpg

And it's not unique to 343, I saw a lot of this in games like Mass Effect 3, like the Firebase Jade level set on the Salarian homeworld. With the lighting, the colors become a bit washed out. Bright and deep red becomes like an orange etc.

I have no doubt that Halo 5 will be one of the best looking games of next gen though. They have a lot of talented people on the team and a new powerful console to take advantage of.

Yeah completely agreed on that point, this “sunny fog” probably (HDR or lightning design) almost bother me when I play on the H4 variant. H4 is beautiful thought but I would like to see less next gen effect and more huge deep background like Bungie did before (and still with Destiny, I remember also Forge world for example). So yeah more vibrant color, Halo is a universe made for that, Gears of War is for the darkish grey type. It is so strange because they do almost perfect for the remakes (CEA (maybe too much this one), H2A and H2A MP).

A question for the Legendary COOP: In fact someone know here if in legendary coop if one player die we will still have to come back to the checkpoint? It was ultra-mega boring in 2004 but I succeed to do the game without go out of the level with friends around 10 times in Legendary but it will be better if that become a skull in the remake version.

Oh and yeah infinite ammo will change the game in Halo 2, finally I can have human weapons more than 2 fight in the game :D cannot wait for that, BR and SMG all across Delta Halo.

ODST and Reach in DLC? I buy day one for sure.

EvB

This level man, THIS FREAKING LEVEL. Even in medium difficulty I was lost many times and found it hard. I don't have guts to even check it out in legendary.[/IMG]

I often hear people saying how tricky they found this one, I seem to recall simply sprinting through the vast majority of it.

I'm surprised tht Ruffian hasn't been credited more openly with porting porting Halo 3 and 4 but I can't wait to see those with the resolution/frame rate boost.

With regards to Halo 2 Anniversary, Blur's cinematics look awesome but I hope they aren't too jarring of a change from those to the in engine gameplay. Also a bit of a shame that they couldn't implement the E3 2003 New Mombasa demo but given the HD treatment the New Mombasa areas are going to look great either way and it still has the excellent Scarab/Ghost portions.

Had they done that I would have melted. That is still one of the greatest E3 moments for myself. I don't even need a graphics update, make it playable even if it's glitchy and I'd love it.

mcrommert

Banned
While I don't hate it due to the fun custom games (zombies mainly) Foundation was pretty bad to actual play serious games on.

and obviously Backwash. What a terrible map, flood maps have never been good in any game.

Oh my God foundation zombies be still my heart...actually also super juggernaut (the juggernaut variant with like 3 shields) on foundation was awesome...and backwash is pure garbage in every way possible

PooBone

I don't care about the fake and completely broken/nigh unplayable E3 demo from Halo 2. The treatment they're giving it is as much as I could hope for, aside from some more ammo deposits in campaign, honestly. Halo 2 was definitely the most disappointing game I've played, because it was the most hyped I've ever been for a game. Campaign was a big letdown in terms of graphics, design, cutscene pop-in, and of course the last few stages and the missing ending. I'll still play through and probably enjoy it more than ever this time.

PooBone

Halo 2 had some really stellar maps, and the DLC maps were even better. Let's talk about Relic for a second.

9knbwM0l.jpg

I had a love/hate relationship with this map. Playing team slayer on it sucked serious ass, but assault or CTF was godlike. It took a lot of coordination to be successful on this map, and once you grabbed that flag, it was a mad dash to jump off the edge and give your teammates a chance.

Assault was a different story. If you died on your way to arm the bomb, your team had to decide if you should sit around and wait for the bomb to respawn or do your best to infiltrate the base and not get killed.

I can't wait to replay this gem!
:)

1upmuffin

I actually don't like the idea of DLC for a collection like this. One of the appeals is that the community isn't split by some people not having all the DLC. Sometimes playing Halo 3 with friends we wouldn't be able to play certain maps because 1 or 2 people didn't have the latest map pack.

Also, I think if they included ODST and Reach they might have had to make the game 2 discs, one for singleplayer and one of multiplayer.

Jesus people. It's called the Master Chief Collection not the Halo Collection. IF it was the latter, then it warrants everyone's begging, but it doesn't so please let it go.

But i will agree with the buy both as DLC. That being said, no way in hell would it be 10 bucks each.

yes, that's why I said DLC =P

I'm not even sure if they would fit on the disc. they could add another tab in Campaign beside the "Master Chief Saga" one or something. just take my money 343.

I also pictured you saying that post as Picard, haha:
jS7SE5O.jpg

Has anything flood related been good? Flood campaign levels have always been my least favorite. They're an inherently annoying ass enemy to fight and the levels always seem have confusing layouts along with an incredibly ugly brown/green aesthetic.
343 Guilty Spark and Floodgate.

Mask

Pre-order stuff might just be timed exclusive?

Pre-ordering from shop-to gets you the Bonded Pair Skull

That skull seems kinda useless. I hope they are timed, and we get the others added in a patch later.

It'd be pretty cool if they released Reach and ODST as DLC later down the line. I stopped at Halo 2, so I'm experiencing 3 and 4 for the first time. Never completed 2 either.

PooBone

I'd be willing to bet a big part of the reason there's no ODST or Reach (and never will be) has more to do with the Bungie/MS split and the legalities involved than them deciding people don't want them.

I'd be willing to bet a big part of the reason there's no ODST or Reach (and never will be) has more to do with the Bungie/MS split and the legalities involved than them deciding people don't want them.

what legalities are there that don't also apply to Halo 1-3? or was it because the split was occurring while those games were developed?

They mentioned that with how the xbox one works there is no longer a need for a server browser.

Im assuming this is in regards to "follow/friend" and sending invites from twitch broadcasts and stuff.

Custom games in halo are DYING for tag matchmaking like titanfall is getting. search for #rockets or somethin and see whos playing

Bessy67

I'm guessing it's more that they wanted to ship on one disc. Halo 1-4 plus all DLC is probably 40-45 gigs. Reach and ODST aren't really part of the Master Chief's story and they probably couldn't fit on the disc so they were left out. I wouldn't be too surprised to see them added later as DLC though.

They mentioned that with how the xbox one works there is no longer a need for a server browser.

Im assuming this is in regards to "follow/friend" and sending invites from twitch broadcasts and stuff.

Custom games in halo are DYING for tag matchmaking like titanfall is getting. search for #rockets or somethin and see whos playing

hmm, that sounds interesting. perhaps I should play Titanfall more, been out of the loop lately.

Microsoft owns the rights to the IP, it's pretty clear cut. ODST and Reach are no different from Halo 1-3. They own the rights. It's more an issue of time and manpower, getting all the games up to snuff for the XBone, while remastering Halo 2 can be no easy task.

PooBone

Microsoft owns the rights to the IP, it's pretty clear cut. ODST and Reach are no different from Halo 1-3. They own the rights. It's more an issue of time and manpower, getting all the games up to snuff for the XBone, while remastering Halo 2 can be no easy task.

Owning the IP doesn't mean there aren't fees involved with direct use of an external developer's (ie Bungie's) code. Not that they couldn't do it, obviously Microsoft owns the IP. I'm just saying... there's likely more to it than just "gotta get it on one disk" and "Masterchief's story." If the other two were included it would just be branded as something else.

But I for one couldn't be happier with the collection they're presenting. It would be nice if they could touch up some of the architecture on the redesigned graphics in Halo: CE Anniversary. Especially on Truth and Reconciliation, door frames have a way of not existing in the new graphics where they do in the old graphics/working engine.

Will there be any semblance of Firefight in this collection? I know they were only present in ODST and Reach, and I really missed this mode in H4.

Edit: should have searched first before posting this, but I'm leaving this here as a plea/vote to add Firefight back to new Halo games, whether in MCC or H5.

Owning the IP doesn't mean there aren't fees involved with direct use of an external developer's (ie Bungie's) code. Not that they couldn't do it, obviously Microsoft owns the IP. I'm just saying... there's likely more to it than just "gotta get it on one disk" and "Masterchief's story." If the other two were included it would just be branded as something else.

But I for one couldn't be happier with the collection they're presenting. It would be nice if they could touch up some of the architecture on the redesigned graphics in Halo: CE Anniversary. Especially on Truth and Reconciliation, door frames have a way of not existing in the new graphics where they do in the old graphics/working engine.

Everything Bungie developed under Microsoft is owned by Microsoft. Hell, they reuse tons of Reach assets in CEA, 4, and Halo 2 Anniversary. Halo 4's engine was even based on the Reach engine.
Will there be any semblance of Firefight in this collection? I know they were only present in ODST and Reach, and I really missed this mode in H4.

Edit: should have searched first before posting this, but I'm leaving this here as a plea/vote to add Firefight back to new Halo games, whether in MCC or H5.

I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to get rid of Firefight in 4, people love Firefight. I really hope they bring it back in 5.

Simzyy

Any word on whether or not we get anything for completing the games on LASO? Achievements, skins or anything?

I've beaten all the games on LASO and kinda want to do it again. Kinda....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom