• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Random17

The current Halo thread on gaming side is ridiculously stupid. It's pretty clear 343 has learned a lot about handling the franchise in creating the MCC and that's pretty much where the discussion ends.

Yup, the salt is strong in that thread.

And people act as if Halo 4's campaign story is somehow bad. Granted it was short and not adequately explained without the EU, but the story itself was by no means bad, it was actually quite good. The dialogue and voice acting was also very well done.

Bungie's last installment into the lore was Halo:Reach. 343i wins by default in that regard.

And people act as if Halo 4's campaign story is somehow bad. Granted it was short and not adequately explained without the EU, but the story itself was by no means bad, it was actually quite good. The dialogue and voice acting was also very well done.

Bungie's last installment into the lore was Halo:Reach. 343i wins by default in that regard.
I'm gonna disagree, I think Halo 4's story is terrible.

HTupolev

Eh, it's not great.

The narrative structure exists, but it's not driven that well across all aspects of the game. The dialogue isn't "bad", but it's not as intelligent as it seems to think it is, and that sort of narrative could strongly have used much better. It also doesn't feel like a natural sequel to the existing series at all, although that may have been deliberate.

Even if Bungie's games had some sketchinesses, on the whole I think they consistently did a much better job of delivering a narrative than Halo 4 manages. Well, prior to Destiny, anyway.

abadguy

Banned

I would put Reach above Halo 4 as far as single player goes. But MP i prefer Halo 4. There is nothing like armor lock in Halo 4 for instance. That automatically makes it more enjoyable than Reach multi IMO. Halo 4's campaign was still good but 343i should never do anything like the Didact fight at the end. That's not Halo, that was straight up COD type shit there. Aside from that Halo 4 was good first effort.

My issue with 4 wasn't the campaign, it was the multiplayer. Maybe i'm stuck in the past, but I hated loadouts, armor abilities, sprint, etc. I like Halo where everyone starts the same and you fight for weapon spawns on the map. Everyone always moving at the same speed. 4 to me felt like CoD mixed with Halo.

Random17

Eh, it's not great.

The narrative structure exists, but it's not driven that well across all aspects of the game. The dialogue isn't "bad", but it's not as intelligent as it seems to think it is, and that sort of narrative could strongly have used much better. It also doesn't feel like a natural sequel to the existing series at all, although that may have been deliberate.

Even if Bungie's games had some sketchinesses, on the whole I think they consistently did a much better job of delivering a narrative than Halo 4 manages. Well, prior to Destiny, anyway.

Yes, but in comparison, Halo Reach is downright awful in regards to the lore (i.e. anything that isn't gameplay related).

-Bad voice acting
-Unconvincing characters. MC+Cortana in Halo 4 was significantly better than the previous games. Even the side characters were more relatable than the cardboard cutouts that were Noble Team.
-Basically chucked away the lore it was based on.
-The primary purpose of the story was concentrated in the final two missions.

I still don't understand why you guys disliked Halo 4's narrative. (I've ranted on about how Halo 3 was also relatively uninteresting from a lore perspective as well)

Edit: The QTE was bad yes, but functionally it was no different to a playable cutscene. Not a big deal for me.

Onikaan

I would put Reach above Halo 4 as far as single player goes. But MP i prefer Halo 4. There is nothing like armor lock in Halo 4 for instance. That automatically makes it more enjoyable than Reach multi IMO. Halo 4's campaign was still good but 343i should never do anything like the Didact fight at the end. That's not Halo, that was straight up COD type shit there. Aside from that Halo 4 was good first effort.

Armour lock...

Jack-Nicholson.gif

Reach had the worst Multiplayer.

Ein Bear

My main issues with the campaign in Halo 4 were the small levels and shit AI, which I'm willing to blame on technical limitations of the 360.

I think it was a bad decision to go with the graphical level of detail they did in Halo 4 if that was the consequence, but I'm not going to write off 343's ability to make a decent Halo campaign until I've seen what they can do with more horsepower on the Xbone.

Madness

I felt the story of Reach was a million times better than Halo 4, not only in content but also how it was told. I cared about Noble Team by the end, about how Reach fell (yes it pales to the novelization), about Six and Cortana. I didn't care about Halo 4. I didn't care about Lasky, Palmer, Didact, New Phoenix, even Cortana.

Don't get me wrong, I get that they humanized Chief, gave him more dialogue, but the story told is ridiculously bad, I had no real understanding of it, or interest in it.

Random17

I had no real understanding of it[/B], or interest in it.

That just sounds like 343i being too reliant on the EU, which I have already stated.

People are still insisting the story being told is bad, but I have yet to see a clear reason why aside from the narrative structure, which I completely disagree with.

*Sigh*.

Madness

Damn. I had a feeling they would cut internal theater/file share in favor of the Xbox Live version that also saves it to the cloud or whatever. Just means I won't use it at all. Halo 4 was the first game I didn't really care about making montages, clips, or viewing others.

Booshka

Halo 4 is bad Campaign, bad Firefight (Spartan Ops) and bad Multiplayer. It's a bad Halo game, yet a decent Shooter and product on its own merits. It's not a good Halo game in any stretch of the imagination though. I had no fucking clue who was doing what, why, where and how, for pretty much the entire game. Didn't seek out terminals, and didn't read books or waypoint fiction to figure it out. Just played the game and it was a bunch of nonsense.

Halo CE made sense, and was mysterious in the right kind of way. Halo 2 made sense mostly in reference to Halo CE, and on its own merits. Halo 3 started to become a bit insufferable to me with Cortana whining the entire game, because of whatever Gravemind was doing. Also, it was fighting against Brutes the whole time because of the Covenant Civil war that happened, and so I could give a shit about the Covenants problems, because I am fighting Brutes. Much rather fight Elites. Reach made plenty of sense, even though it took some liberty with the Fall of Reach book, it still made sense and wrapped up nicely into Halo CE's storyline.

Halo 4, what the fuck I don't know, let's wake up Master Chief and watch Cortana (Dylan Ryder) go crazy, while we fight yet another enemy type that is not as interesting as Elites.

Onikaan

I felt the story of Reach was a million times better than Halo 4, not only in content but also how it was told. I cared about Noble Team by the end, about how Reach fell (yes it pales to the novelization), about Six and Cortana. I didn't care about Halo 4. I didn't care about Lasky, Palmer, Didact, New Phoenix, even Cortana.

Don't get me wrong, I get that they humanized Chief, gave him more dialogue, but the story told is ridiculously bad, I had no real understanding of it, or interest in it.

Yeah, some things weren't great. But I personally like where the story is going. I also find Lasky to be an interesting character. I spend a lot of time in discussion with friends about where the stories heading. I think the Terminals in CE:A and 4 are some of the greatest additions to the storytelling. Love 'em.

blamite

IQ9LXEV.png

Armor sets for Halo 3 confirmed?

Yeah but you can have to wear the enture set as far as we know. No more mix-and-match.
Even if so, their are still 30 other party skulls being added, a lot which we don't even know yet. The ones we do, half provide an advantage. Bandana gives Infinite ammo. Another one makes all enemies that die, drop a live plasma grenade. Another skull replaces Masterchiefs flashlight with Active Camo. Another gives 100% damage boost if your teammate dies. I honestly won't be surprised if their is a skull that gives you overshields, or makes you invincible when we get the full list out.

They need to disable achievements and speedruns when using nonscoring skulls, if they know whats right for the game.

I have some good news for you!

Welfare

Fuck the Xboxs clip system. It sucks. If 343 is stripping theater fuctions in favor of Upload, I just give up for for an improved theater in Halo 5.

What the fuck 343?

Madness

That just sounds like 343i being too reliant on the EU, which I have already stated.

People are still insisting the story being told is bad, but I have yet to see a clear reason why aside from the narrative structure, which I completely disagree with.

*Sigh*.

What don't you understand? Just because you liked the story, doesn't mean we have to as well. I didn't like the story because it wasn't explained or told well. I can't explain it any better. They never explained who the enemy was, where all these other Covenant came from, what's going on. Where did the UNSC infinity come from, how did they reach Requiem etc. You're supposed to look at only the games. Going from Halo 3 and Reach to Halo 4.

The story was easily one of the worst things about H4. In fact even all the reviewers who loved the game criticized the story. These are all subjective things, and I'm certain you're in the minority when you say it was a good story.

jem0208

Hmm, didn't Frankie say that Theatre would be returning as it was for each game?

I want some clarification before I take that manual as fact. There have been mistakes in these things before.

Woorloog

Banned
In practice, having only sets of armor doesn't matter to me as i don't use anything but sets usually. But damn... removing the customization? Why the fuck? Because they just made bare bones unified UI?
EDIT And theater! WTF? I wonder if the UI is the culprit. Whatever, the game doesn't sound like ultimate Halo collection as it is, IMO.

Booshka

I imagine Halo 5 will have theater. Hopefully.

Why would it when the Xbone has "amazing Streaming and capture services" of its own? It's probably too much unnecessary work to have a fleshed out Theater system, I doubt enough users really use it to make it worth developing.

Similar to Twitch getting rid of forever Archived videos, I imagine Halo and its theater system will be somewhat obsolete now that the hardware has some recording/streaming support of its own.

Another example of Halo influencing core OS functionality and design for the next gen hardware. Similar to how Halo 2 influenced Xbox 360, Halo 3 and Reach have influenced Xbone hardware.

In practice, having only sets of armor doesn't matter to me as i don't use anything but sets usually. But damn... removing the customization? Why the fuck? Because they just made bare bones unified UI?
EDIT And theater! WTF? I wonder if the UI is the culprit. Whatever, the game doesn't sound like ultimate Halo collection as it is, IMO.

Still sounds pretty ultimate to me, honestly. Even if customization and theater are pared back.

Right that other Halo collection is clearly the ultimate one, not this one.

/s

Also, this.

jem0208

Bare bones? Really?

Edit: I may have helped turn that PS4 vs X1 sales thread into a giant anti MCC thread. Time to abort gamingside.

Woorloog

Banned
Bare bones? Really?

Yeah, well, it would explain lack of theater and armor customization, no?
So it is "bare-bones" in a sense. If it is the reason.

I really don't like how half-assed some things regarding the MCC sound.

EDIT Ultimate would mean: "everything's in and better than ever" to me. Removing features is the opposite.

jem0208

Yeah, well, it would explain lack of theater and armor customization, no?
So it is "bare-bones" in a sense. If it is the reason.

I really don't like how half-assed some things regarding the MCC sound.

Lacking in a couple of areas doesn't make it bare bones...

What about the campaign playlist system, the campaign leader boards, the ridiculously awesome achievements screen?

Random17

They never explained who the enemy was, where all these other Covenant came from, what's going on.
Well, I think it was well established in the EU. Meh. Again, I don't see the problem if you have read the EU.

Where did the UNSC infinity come from, how did they reach Requiem etc. You're supposed to look at only the games. Going from Halo 3 and Reach to Halo 4.
The UNSC Infinity was drawn in by coordinates from the Installation 03 science team. This was in the game. And frankly if we are going to say "only go for the games" then we lose most of Halo's background story. Many of the EU elements were establishing aspects of the lore, similar to for the tFoR was an establishing story for CE. Sure, Halo 4 was too reliant on them, but what was left was still good quality in my opinion.

In fact even all the reviewers who loved the game criticized the story.
Again, this is because almost all of them had not read the books/

These are all subjective things, and I'm certain you're in the minority when you say it was a good story.
Out of the general fanbase? Probably, yes. Out of the fanbase that spends most of its time analyzing the lore? Definitely not. I've been on various lore orientated forums and Halo 4 is at least recognized as a much better attempt than Bungie's Halo: Reach. Most of us still hate Spartan Ops/Escalation though :p

The least they could do is add the DLC armor in Halo 4, I want Mark V.
Also not being able to wear EOD's chest with the Mark V helmet in 3 is going to bother the shit out of me.

EDIT: I guess RvB won't be able to move to MCC, nor will they be able to remaster the 3 and 4 seasons.

Woorloog

Banned
The least they could do is add the DLC armor in Halo 4, I want Mark V.
Also not being able to wear EOD's chest with the Mark V helmet in 3 is going to bother the shit out of me.

Mark V, Security+MarkVI shoulders, Mark VI chest to re-create Halo Wars-like Spartan was the best :/

Top Bottom