• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnia

Damn, I'm done with that gaming side thread.

On the topic of Halo though. I was playing through H4 again and I realised that one of the things that bothered me the first few times around actually kinda make sense.

1. No one being shocked when finding the Chief.
First time I played the game I was kinda confused as to why no one seems to be surprised when they find the Chief in the jungle. I realised today though that the Infinity already knew the Chief was on Requiem. Cortana's beacon talks about the Chief being alive so they will already know he's on the planet and chances are they'd been tracking him ever since the Infinity entered Requiem. Hence Palmer and crew finding him so easily.

It's a joke of a thread, half the people in there poking fun or posting probably aren't even Halo fans. Most of them are more than likely just jumping on the bandwagon and have no idea about anything.

Madness

Jem because it's poor writing. Here is the savior if the Galaxy and no one cares. But I don't think they knew Chief was there. When they activated their friend or foe tags and communicated with Infinity, Chief says this is Sierra-117 of the UNSC forward unto dawn, and someone says come again, did you say forward unto dawn, a ship thought post 5 years ago etc.

I don't understand why SMGs even exist in H3. Can anyone recall the last time they used one in H3?

It sure ain't though.

http://xboxclips.com/Prinz+Eugn/2e8c18cc-3b50-476b-a6ca-522da70a7f7c
I usually will pick one up because even single-wielded they seem better than the AR (pulsing helps a lot).

Prince understands. SMG in Halo 3 can wreck. It also doesn't sound like the AR's stupid popcorn/tap dancing "gun shots." That thing was disgusting the first time I heard it. Completely baffling sound design choice.

It's a joke of a thread, half the people in there poking fun or posting probably aren't even Halo fans. Most of them are more than likely just jumping on the bandwagon and have no idea about anything.

The entire thread is just a rage bate. Even the title "Halo fans outraged." Oh come on lol Let's quote some Gaffers and announce that Halo fans are universally outraged by the delay. Heck, most people that own the MCC probably don't even know that ODST is coming lol

jem0208

Jem because it's poor writing. Here is the savior if the Galaxy and no one cares. But I don't think they knew Chief was there. When they activated their friend or foe tags and communicated with Infinity, Chief says this is Sierra-117 of the UNSC forward unto dawn, and someone says come again, did you say forward unto dawn, a ship thought post 5 years ago etc.

In the 2nd level when you keep getting the distorted transmissions you can hear Del Rio mention Forward unto Dawn though. They've clearly heard the distress beacon which says:

Mayday Mayday Mayday this is UNSC FFG201 Forward Unto Dawn requesting immediate evac. Survivors aboard prioritization code victor zero five dash three dash sierra zero one one seven

Hence they know he's alive.

Lasky being surprised to hear the Chief respond is because he was trying to contact the Infinity:

Lasky: "This is Lasky to UNSC Infinity. We're up to our necks in bad guys down here. Does anyone read?"
John-117: "This is Sierra 117 of the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn. We're on station, ready to assist."
Lasky: "Negative copy, sounded like you said 'Forward Unto Dawn'? Come again-"

Obviously it would be a surprise to have the Chief suddenly respond.

They are good for wrecking the Banshee on Valhalla. I usually will pick one up because even single-wielded they seem better than the AR (pulsing helps a lot).

But they are pretty silly overall- in the run up to Reach I remember some Bungie update mentioned how comparatively bloated the H3 sandbox was.

I used the SMG for what I think is the first ever time on H3 the other day. Surprised how much better it feels than the AR.

Nebula

Half the people are Sony diehards who probably never even played MCC or Halo before. There is a very strong anti-MS bias on gaming side, people find any chance they can to criticize them or their IP's.

Not like MS has made this hard for them lol.

Madness

Not like MS has made this hard for them lol.

Of course, but you can easily note it, whether it's graphics threads, exclusivity deals, almost anything. Heck even sales threads. I agree MS started off with a horrendous message and launch, but come on.

IHaveIce

Banned
yuuuuuuuuuup

As an owner of both, I've been really disappointed in this generation.

Yeah if only one company had a moba with only one repating map and thousands of heroes you could early unlock with real world money right?

No srsly I would also be disapppointed if I didn't use my consoles to play games.

TheXbox

Half the people are Sony diehards who probably never even played MCC or Halo before. There is a very strong anti-MS bias on gaming side, people find any chance they can to criticize them or their IP's.
Halo is hot garbage right now and 343 deserves all the heat they're getting. Even if it's delayed, or broken, or whatever, they've done an awful job communicating with the fanbase. Like, on top of making bad games, they're not even capable of articulating when this thing is coming out or why it's been delayed. This isn't a recent issue, either. They've been cryptic, out-of-touch, and unreliable since day one.

yuuuuuuuuuup

As an owner of both, I've been really disappointed in this generation.
Play The Witcher 3. Generation redeemed for me

singhr1

Halo is hot garbage right now and 343 deserves all the heat they're getting. Even if it's delayed, or broken, or whatever, they've done an awful job communicating with the fanbase. Like, on top of making bad games, they're not even capable of articulating when this thing is coming out or why it's been delayed. This isn't a recent issue, either. They've been cryptic, out-of-touch, and unreliable since day one.

Play The Witcher 3. Generation redeemed for me

Uh they have told us why... It's still in testing. Like what else do you want.

You see why they are ambiguous about when shit is coming out because if they don't hit a timeframe they get flack. They make estimates and when they fail to make them on time everyone shits on them.

You see why they are ambiguous about when shit is coming out because if they don't hit a timeframe they get flack. They make estimates and when they fail to make them on time everyone shits on them.
For good fuckin reason. They have done nothing but disappoint

Hatchtag

Banned

Yeah, NeoGAF is SonyGAF. That's why there's threads about sparse first party Sony lineups and FF7 not hitting release date marks on the front page. /s

I don't think it's that there's a strong anti-MS bias. There's a strong anti-343i bias, because 343i has consistently done nothing but fuck up a once beloved franchise.

TheXbox

Four days before the end of May, and they still haven't provided a definitive answer as to whether or not it will release before the end of the month. It's not like anybody forced them to give this thing a date. They said May. Normally, it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but this is supposed to be recompense for the MCC. They promised this thing months ago.

singhr1

Four days before the end of May, and they still haven't provided a definitive answer as to whether or not it will release before the end of the month. It's not like anybody forced them to give this thing a date. They said May. Normally, it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but this is supposed to be recompense for the MCC. They promised this thing months ago.

They thought, and they thought wrong. We aren't getting a new date because they probably don't know themselves. I don't necessarily agree with the "we'll release it when it's done" mentality because if you set a deadline for yourself you should be dedicated to hit it but no way around it seems like.

Just played AR starts on Sandtrap

When The Master Chief Collection was announced at E3 on June 9th 2014 who would have dared imagined a world in which the post above would be made on May 27th 2015.

Ain't even mad about ODST seeing as I haven't bothered to complete the campaigns that are already there. If you are upset about it, console yourself with this: at least you didn't play AR starts on Sandtrap today.

SaganIsGOAT

When The Master Chief Collection was announced at E3 on June 9th 2014 who would have dared imagined a world in which the post above would be made on May 27th 2015.

Ain't even mad about ODST seeing as I haven't bothered to complete the campaigns that are already there. If you are upset about it, console yourself with this: at least you didn't play AR starts on Sandtrap today.

😢

DJ Gunner

The very signature of big corporate. People have to remember 343 is not so much a "studio" as they are a bunch of devs working directly for MS suits. Inability to keep focus and service an existing, currently online game's playlists (the Reach TU fiasco- our first look into what was in store for us from 343); classic turn-glaring-faults-into-strengths marketing "Halo CEA gives fans what they have always wanted- online Co-op!"; when you've made an obvious HUGE blunder- just pretend it was the plan all along (14 day buy and play); and that just gets us to Halo 4. 343 is no more a "developer" than the team making Windows. Oh sure, you might have some talented folk working in that tank- but the communication (or lack thereof), the cover-ups, the outright deception regarding the true state of MCC at launch, these are all classic big-corp strategies to maximize dollars and damage control.

I see we're back on the bitter stage of the cycle.

Hopefully 343 apologizes at E3, formally - like have most of the team on stage.

A big part of it for me is that they keep screwing up but won't admit they're screwing up.

A big part of it for me is that they keep screwing up but won't admit they're screwing up.

They put another wheelchair spartan somewhere.

343s apology needs to be an actual halo game that works on launch. Not shoehorned modern elements that don't really add anything. Specifically Sprint and ADS. The titanic of The Xbox one: the MCC

RowdyReverb

They are good for wrecking the Banshee on Valhalla. I usually will pick one up because even single-wielded they seem better than the AR (pulsing helps a lot).

But they are pretty silly overall- in the run up to Reach I remember some Bungie update mentioned how comparatively bloated the H3 sandbox was.

Prince understands. SMG in Halo 3 can wreck. It also doesn't sound like the AR's stupid popcorn/tap dancing "gun shots." That thing was disgusting the first time I heard it. Completely baffling sound design choice.

You're better off with a Spiker though than the SMG if you've not got a pair of them.

Dug up an old TTK comparison video.
SMG beats AR, roughly ties Spiker
. I will give the SMG a try next time I get AR starts.

HTupolev

What if you're one of the people who DID play AR starts on Sandtrap today, though?

jelly

A few big wigs including Phil Spencer, sure. Rest of the team shouldn't be hung out to dry, do the best they can.

Vico

The HUNTtheTRUTH campaign got me pretty excited for the future, and I'm preparing myself by watching/reading everything I've missed, so I just rewatched the Spartan Ops cinematics, and damn I totally forgot Halsey lost her entire arm. Brutal.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
The very signature of big corporate. People have to remember 343 is not so much a "studio" as they are a bunch of devs working directly for MS suits. Inability to keep focus and service an existing, currently online game's playlists (the Reach TU fiasco- our first look into what was in store for us from 343); classic turn-glaring-faults-into-strengths marketing "Halo CEA gives fans what they have always wanted- online Co-op!"; when you've made an obvious HUGE blunder- just pretend it was the plan all along (14 day buy and play); and that just gets us to Halo 4. 343 is no more a "developer" than the team making Windows. Oh sure, you might have some talented folk working in that tank- but the communication (or lack thereof), the cover-ups, the outright deception regarding the true state of MCC at launch, these are all classic big-corp strategies to maximize dollars and damage control.

Reach TU was a tragedy. It blows my mind how unconfident you would need to be with gameplay changes to split the userbase between pre and post update gameplay. Reach was a game with (for the most part) glaringly obvious faults (Bloom, for one) that could be fixed with configuration and proper communication with the users. Instead, we get two of the most popular playlists (Slayer and BTB) playing with markedly different settings.

The worst part is that Reach is probably the best functioning Halo currently available in terms of connection and matchmaking quality, and it would probably take a single guy with a solid knowledge of the game a couple hours to clean up the playlists.

Dug up an old TTK comparison video.
SMG beats AR, roughly ties Spiker
. I will give the SMG a try next time I get AR starts.

Yeah, whenever I get AR starts I grab an SMG when I can. The TTK is just fast enough that it makes it less painful. Also, it's just more fun to use.

I've lost 8 games in a row in Halo2A and haven't been deranked once.

k.

LOL WTH

The worst part is that Reach is probably the best functioning Halo currently available in terms of connection and matchmaking quality, and it would probably take a single guy with a solid knowledge of the game a couple hours to clean up the playlists.

Apparently the backend matchmaking systems are so weird and arcane that it's actually a very arduous process, which says more about about the smartitude of Bungie than anyone else, but then 343i is apparently still attached to the same stupid system.

jem0208

Just ran into a rather odd bug I've not encountered before...

Was happily sitting on the Mammoth listening to Lasky and Del Rio chat when all of a sudden the ground ends.

http://xboxclips.com/Il+MeanBean+lI/078be684-f066-41d3-8004-05882b8ef5af

Then when the Mammoth decided it had had enough of flying through the air, it stopped and disappeared as well!

http://xboxclips.com/Il+MeanBean+lI/6ff16c7c-d53c-46c0-9998-a55a47f4068f

Also I've won a match and been deranked in H2A. That said other than that single time the ranking system has worked perfectly for me.

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Were you by any chance in the Halo 4 Legendary Playlist?

Nope, just the standard Halo 4 campaign.

Nowise10

Yeah I've quit like 7 games for the sake of science, and lost 4 without quitting, and haven't deranked. Pretty sure its broken.

TheXbox

Was happily sitting on the Mammoth listening to Lasky and Del Rio chat when all of a sudden the ground ends.

Then when the Mammoth decided it had had enough of flying through the air, it stopped and disappeared as well!

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Were you by any chance in the Halo 4 Legendary Playlist?

Also I've won a match and been deranked in H2A. That said other than that single time the ranking system has worked perfectly for me.

Nope, just the standard Halo 4 campaign.

The mammoth glitch is common. It happened when I played co-op on the Xbox 360. Happened again to me on my playthrough on the Xbox One. That section is just bugged. For it to happen twice every time I attempt it is just stupid. I always play the campaigns on Legendary, so I'm curious if that's part of what triggers it.

Oh there is.

"This shit is fucked"

I've once again gotten burned out by the Destiny grind, and damn, I really wish Halo 5 was out now. Or that Halo MCC worked. I've been watching The Sprint episodes for the first time and it's a really great series. Can't wait for it to come back. Can't believe it doesn't have more views on Youtube!

You don't gotta be a republican to not like Obama.

Or, just American.

I feel sorry for anyone that has they worked on the MCC on their resume.

tumblr_n9jultvGDE1sksdxao3_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom