• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Big E33

Neo Member
playing right now for the first time in months, game still has some core issues but its way better than it was at launch

sigh...idk i still have hope for h5 somewhere in my soul

EDIT: is there any reason not to quit when people are dumping on you? people quit out of every game ive played so far

double edit: looking at my old reach stats on bungie.net and its fukin stupid how much i played that game, i have like 21 hrs in h4 and i had 18 days in halo reach, if you would have asked me about midway through 2011 if i would ever "miss" halo reach after halo 4 came out i would have cut myself

oh how the mighty have fallen

Madness

Well to be honest, without any quit penalty, no loss of rank, and join in progress and no real pre/Post game communication, people always just quit out. I think it's more an industry problem as opposed to just Halo because I'm definitely noticing more quitting than at the start of the gen, amongst all games.

Don't know how to really discourage it I guess. Someone a few OT back had the idea of not letting you rejoin until the match you quit out of was over, so that's a good solution?

Booshka

Dammit Juices get in the top 300 streamers so me, Kyle, and Booshka can keep talking about my ethnicity and how I'll be speeding since my laptop died and I can't watch you on mobile.

Kappa

I'm offended that you thought you were a better Dark Souls troll than me.

Ghazi

Well to be honest, without any quit penalty, no loss of rank, and join in progress and no real pre/Post game communication, people always just quit out. I think it's more an industry problem as opposed to just Halo because I'm definitely noticing more quitting than at the start of the gen, amongst all games.

Don't know how to really discourage it I guess. Someone a few OT back had the idea of not letting you rejoin until the match you quit out of was over, so that's a good solution?
Actually, I don't think having only a small penalty works that well either. Take CoD (Blacl Ops 2) for example, I believe if you quit enough games it puts you on probation and the more games you quit the longer you are forces to wait until you can search matches again. CoD has this yet quitting happens pretty crazily and from my experience close to H4's quit rate. Doin it LoL style like you said that someone else said is the only way to do it since people won't quit unless they're getting off the game or trying to avoid having bad stats saved. I think JiP also contributes to this, if I'm playing Halo or CoD and I get put in a match on a team that's ridiculously far behind in score then I'm going to quit. Why waste my time on what is 95% of the time a lost cause with a 5% chance of a crazy, rare comeback. This happens more in CoD and I can't speak for H4 since the new update where they changed the JiP parameters and I haven't played H4 much even since the update.

I'm offended that you thought you were a better Dark Souls troll than me.
If only you knew all the shenanigans I was doing within the first 6 months of launch. I pissed so many people off doing the most ridiculously stupid shit ever that it was super fun for me. Sadly I can't get back into the game even though I've bought, but not played, the DLC because I lost all my characters and progress (around 800 hours of total game time) and I don't have the will to do all that work again.

Booshka

If only you knew all the shenanigans I was doing within the first 6 months of launch. I pissed so many people off doing the most ridiculously stupid shit ever that it was super fun for me. Sadly I can't get back into the game even though I've bought, but not played, the DLC because I lost all my characters and progress (around 800 hours of total game time) and I don't have the will to do all that work again.

I can help you make a build pretty quickly, I have like a dozen characters with pretty much all you need to make most builds. I have some stupid high level character that you can grind off of as well for levels. I've helped ppl make full SL 120 PvP builds in about 2 hours or less.

Ghazi

I can help you make a build pretty quickly, I have like a dozen characters with pretty much all you need to make most builds. I have some stupid high level character that you can grind off of as well for levels. I've helped ppl make full SL 120 PvP builds in about 2 hours or less.
Hmm, I'd take you up on that offer! SL 120 is exactly where I want to be (perfect level for PvP and all that jazz) because I had planned out all my build on a web stats planner. Yeah bro, hit me up sometime (or I will since I know your GT)

Booshka

Hmm, I'd take you up on that offer! SL 120 is exactly where I want to be (perfect level for PvP and all that jazz) because I had planned out all my build on a web stats planner. Yeah bro, hit me up sometime (or I will since I know your GT)

Link me your build and other stuff you want and I will get it prepared and we can meetup sometime this week.

EDIT: send me PM, already off-topic in this thread shit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This response is almost ironic.
Sounds more like I want posters that discuss things than just trying to earn laughter, also I am in many community threads so well.
Halo in OT is a community that does or doesn't play Halo, but likes Halo or liked Halo that wants to talk about all the things its parent forums are discussing without participating within the wider spectrum.

Booshka

Halo in OT is a community that does or doesn't play Halo, but likes Halo or liked Halo that wants to talk about all the things its parent forums are discussing without participating within the wider spectrum.

But they don't read or respond to my witty posts in Actual GAF threads lol.

HolaGAF is pretty useless, should probably just get nuked.

Yeah, HolaGAF should be taken out back and shot. If we're set on doing a split, make this thread General Halo/OT talk and let the Halo 4 thread stay the same. I'd prefer just one thread for everything, but a thread dedicated to Halo 4 makes sense.

Ghazi

Yeah, HolaGAF should be taken out back and shot. If we're set on doing a split, make this thread General Halo/OT talk and let the Halo 4 thread stay the same. I'd prefer just one thread for everything, but a thread dedicated to Hako 4 makes sense.
So just like your host?

Booshka

Three threads is really confusing. I don't see the point.

Don't post in HolaGAF and it will become less confusing, just let that thread die and this one will go back to normal.

With careful moderation and attentive posting, we shouldn't get too stupidly insular, meta or off topic.

Cow

Halo needs differentiate itself, and to play to its strengths with Halo 5 and that means being less like CoD and focus on balanced arena gameplay.
- 15+ non forge maps at launch
- No sprint (replaced with faster, more responsive base movement)
- No armour abilities
- No ordnance
- etc..

Basically... remove randomness. Players need to face tradeoffs DURING the game, not things like which load out should I choose.
Competition is the key, players need to be rewarded for a win and punished for a loss (in game ranking system based on W/L alone, it's a team game, teams win and lose together). Humans have an obsession with competition and it is the most addictive aspect of any video game, being better than our peers and in the case of Halo it used to be trying to get a higher highest skill than our friends. WHO CARES if some 10 year old bought a 50? Halo 4 lacked replayability for many reasons, but arguably the lack of any real competition available to the masses is the biggest factor. There is no way for players to know how good they actually were and no incentive for players to be the best they could be.

Halo 5 needs to make competition it's focus. Make everything about the multiplayer (with the exception of a social section) based around balance and competition. Win/Loss based ranking for every ranked playlist IN GAME, overall ladders IN GAME for each playlist and even overall, clans (with clan ranking IN GAME), extensive stats IN GAME. With the addition of dedicated servers it would open up the possibility of online tournaments being built into the game (you could even put tournaments that require paid entry to participate and prize money could be awarded). etc..

There is so much potential in Halo for great competition and I hope 343 can learn from mistakes with Halo 4 and make a great Halo... but will they?

willow ve

To solve the quit dilemma you simply place all the quitters into their own walled garden in matchmaking. Quit X amount of games over Y days and you're only put into games with other gamers who have done the same.

Over time quitters only play with quitters and don't ruin the game for the rest of us.

Nebula

To solve the quit dilemma you simply place all the quitters into their own walled garden in matchmaking. Quit X amount of games over Y days and you're only put into games with other gamers who have done the same.

Over time quitters only play with quitters and don't ruin the game for the rest of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9RuaB3c9FQ

Quitters suck but it's been given a pass with the introduction of JIP. Sucks but it's true.

Shadders

Ok, so this feels good. This makes more sense to me as we move past Halo 4 and on to Spartan Assault, Halo 5, Halo TV etc.

Didn't Halo 3 do this? I think the threshold was really high though.

I can't remember if I posted this here but new thread. If anyone has anything to add I try to keep up to date and fact check or correct.

Halo Xbox One: Nothing But Unbiased

Omni

So we're here again, eh? Makes sense I guess.

HaloGAF. Slowly taking over the forums one thread at a time.

IHaveIce

Banned
What Halo also needs is a proper system to detect and kick afk players.

Already would have an idea, but still at work will try to write up sonething back at home

Woorloog

Banned

Already would have an idea, but still at work will try to write up sonething back at home

Doesn't even need a system really, just make the system so that only participating players will gain points, and make winning paramount (seriously, winning should be very, very important and motivating in competitive player vs. player games, at least when rewards are given). You don't play, or you don't play well, or your team doesn't win: almost no experience.
This is all assuming the game has XP/credit system like Halo 4 and Reach have, and assuming it motivates players, and that easy points will cause people to AFK. Also needs proper, good, strict skill-matching, as to prevent good players from losing due to being placed in a low-skill team.

Of course, if this alone is not enough to reduce AFKing, some sort quick removal system, something like: you don't do anything in 30 seconds, or do only one action, you get kicked. Yes, really that strict.

EDIT personally, i'd go as far as to have system that gives zero rewards to losers, and everything to winners (penalties for quitting perhaps). Though perhaps this would be too hardcore for most people... and devs, since games are a business, and if people don't play your game because it is too punishing... AAA games can't unfortunately target niche-audiences.

ZeNy

Neo Member

Why not make like Call Of Duty, if a player hasn't slected a loadout, he won't spawn at the beginning, then after 1 minute, he is kicked from the party?

1 min to kick players is the best solution, I saw some afks that were in the game but moved every 2 minutes to avoid being kicked

Top Bottom