• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

I've never heard of it, but I went over to the Gaming side to see it and the pic in the OP had me thinking it was an Elite shooting at a Spartan on Sword Base for a long moment.

Yeah, I got a real Halo-ish vibe from it. I'm interested in whether the jetpacking will work good in the game or not. It looked pretty good from the video, but I had the same idea for Reach and we all know how that worked out..

Is the beta out already btw?

Hybrid is very weird, like I posted in the topic on Gaming side. The only control over your movement you have is jetpacking from cover to cover. You can strafe while you're transitioning to a new piece of cover, but that's about it. The levels are also super small and confined. I just couldn't get used it it in the two or three games that I played.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I got a real Halo-ish vibe from it. I'm interested in whether the jetpacking will work good in the game or not. It looked pretty good from the video, but I had the same idea for Reach and we all know how that worked out..

Is the beta out already btw?

Trailer looked nice. A bit like Gears meets Halo with an emphasis on aerial combat. Though, all the maps looked the same.

ThreeA Carter pic:

halohk.jpg

Source

Petrichor

I've been watching old Halo cutscenes to get me in the mood for Halo 4.

...How on earth did miranda and lord hood look better in Halo 2 than they did in Halo 3?

Fuchsdh

I've been watching old Halo cutscenes to get me in the mood for Halo 4.

...How on earth did miranda and lord hood look better in Halo 2 than they did in Halo 3?

They didn't.

The issue was that while the graphic fidelity increased nicely with Halo 3, the lipsync was pretty poor. That was one thing that Reach did far and away better than its predecessor.

Kibbles

Played a few games, someone accused me of using an aimbot cause I was destroying him lolol. Feels and looks so good on the 50" Plasma. :')

Played a few games, someone accused me of using an aimbot cause I was destroying him lolol. Feels and looks so good on the 50" Plasma. :')

I know that feel, bro. Went from a 28" Dynex HDTV to a regular SDTV and then got a 42" Sharp HDTV that could do full 1080p last Black Friday and everything just looks gorgeous at this resolution. Anniversary in particular was spectacular to look at.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I know that feel, bro. Went from a 28" Dynex HDTV to a regular SDTV and then got a 42" Sharp HDTV that could do full 1080p last Black Friday and everything just looks gorgeous at this resolution. Anniversary in particular was spectacular to look at.
I'm planning on buying a new TV/monitor next Black Friday. I want to get one before Halo 4, but saving money is a bigger priority.

They didn't.
Yeah, they did.
And it has nothing to do with the lip synching at all!
Hood & Miranda in Halo 3 are hideous.
Miranda has a 1000 yard stare and Hood's fatty face is melting in a cartoon fashion that makes it impossible to take him seriously.

Similar to how Dare turned out in ODST. *shudders*

zap

I'm sorry that would hurt the role of the AR which for some reason is considered the alpha weapon in Halo devs minds... despite the fact weapons requiring accuracy - BR in H3, Pistol in ODST, DMR in Reach - were the most popular weapons, respectively. And that's with a higher amount of default SMG/AR starts in those games.

Untitled.jpg

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the AR wasn't fluffed up to be even easier to use (not having to be aiming at people to hit them in Reach says hi) compared to other weapons.

I genuinely don't understand it. I dunno if we have any impressions of the AR yet, so I can only pray that 343 gets it and doesn't crank the power up on that thing while simultaenously gimping other weapons in the name of "balance".

Late reply, I know that Halo 3 had been the only Halo game for twice as long as Reach has so far, but the number of kills in Halo 3 is more than triple that of Reach. You'd expect the last half of Halo 3's life to have significantly less games (and kills) than the first half - and we know what happened to 3's population after Reach came out.

Halo 3 was much more successful than Reach based on that chart - more so than I anticipated anyway.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Look at it this way, the jump in resolution's gonna be even more apparent once you make the switch, haha
I have an HDTV already, but I don't even know what it's max resolution is, hah. I'm not much of a videophile.

FyreWulff

Late reply, I know that Halo 3 had been the only Halo game for twice as long as Reach has so far, but the number of kills in Halo 3 is more than triple that of Reach. You'd expect the last half of Halo 3's life to have significantly less games (and kills) than the first half - and we know what happened to 3's population after Reach came out.

Halo 3 was much more successful than Reach based on that chart - more so than I anticipated anyway.

It's impossible to compare the games directly based on the data Bungie had. That chart has 5 holiday seasons in there for Halo 3 (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011), versus 2 for Reach (2010, 2011).

I mean, you can look at whichever numbers to make a case:

article_preview.jpg

1.5ish years into it's run, Reach was already almost halfway to Halo 3's game count that it took 5 years to get to, with a higher per-month average of games than Halo 3.

edit: I just noticed Bungie has exactly 77 months worth of Halo 3 statistics. Heh.

Karl2177

I swear they stopped teaching kids about ratios. Halo 3 is 4.5 years old. Reach is 1.5 years old. 4.5/1.5 = 3, which would be triple. Then also consider the population boom because of Halo 3 and the decline of it took about 2 years. Reach started declining right around Defiant, which was about 6 months. Numbers seem fairly reasonable to me.

Edit: also why was Lord Hood a Lord?

Sai-kun

Banned
I've decided that I'm going to PAX. I am totally down to share a room so...if anyone is gonna get a room and is gonna have space, let's talk.

Also..when are badges on sale? D: that's kind of important.

FyreWulff

I've decided that I'm going to PAX. I am totally down to share a room so...if anyone is gonna get a room and is gonna have space, let's talk.

They're bringing the badge sales back up next week.

Woorloog

Banned

Never explained but i'd guess he was a lord in some nation-state, if those still exist in Halo (not quite sure about that, Germany and Korea have been mentioned but not explictily as nations). Alternatively UNSC High Command personel are avarded titles as well. Alternatively his first name is Lord (can't remember his actual first name).

wwm0nkey

I am trying to get people together for a room! Know anyone else that is?

zap

I swear they stopped teaching kids about ratios. Halo 3 is 4.5 years old. Reach is 1.5 years old. 4.5/1.5 = 3, which would be triple. Then also consider the population boom because of Halo 3 and the decline of it took about 2 years. Reach started declining right around Defiant, which was about 6 months. Numbers seem fairly reasonable to me.

I know that, if you look at what I said, I said "as the primary Halo title" - 2007-2010 = 3 years. I realise that Halo 3 is still around, but the number of games played dropped hugely once Reach launched.

feel

When's Pax and how much do these 3day passes cost? I might flyover to give Frankie a death stare for ruining Halo 4 with all the bad Reach stuff

edit- thanks v

blamite

Super Jackpot seems to be working. Over 6000 players in Super Slayer and I've gotten DLC 3 out of 4 games. Also got the Jackpot! :D

Eye of the beholder.
But I think his point was more the few people saying "You haven't played it, you can't judge it or talk negatively about it!" or "Well I know 343I will get it right, I have complete faith in them, no matter what bad things we hear!".

Not a single person has really said this at all though so that point is entirely moot.

Edit: I keep reading Hybrid as Hydra and it throws me off so much :lol

Top Bottom