• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Aggrotek

lol quit ban, best idea in reach tbh.

First time I've ever been. I quit earlier because all my teammates quit in Arena, now this and I get banned. So dumb.

there was one point where the quit ban would not go away. i would get unbanned, get booted from a game a couple hours later, and be banned again.

at least it works really well...
I think that's what's happening to me... I had the message 3 days ago, and I'm banned today.

First time I've ever been. I quit earlier because all my teammates quit in Arena, now this and I get banned. So dumb.

there was one point where the quit ban would not go away. i would get unbanned, get booted from a game a couple hours later, and be banned again.

at least it works really well...

No, you're uniformly a jerk. It doesn't matter whether you're right or not. It doesn't take much thought to express your thoughts in a better way, so you're either incapable or a dickwad of the Internet, first degree.

Why his posts are great.

1-50 DRAMATICALLY increased boosting. Which in turn, decreased its relevance. This is not arguable. That said we are thinking of ways to let players understand relative skill levels without increasing abuse based on that metric.

Last time the people in charge tried that we got The Arena. You could be the top 5% of Roger fucking Clemens but nobody gave a shit. I think having a ranked/social dichotomy is as important as having a good ranking system. One ranked playlist is utterly insufficient.

I found that late 40s was effectively meaningless - so polluted was it by boosters etc.

This is quite a shocking statement to me. I played over 10000 games of Halo 3 and can say with conviction that the vast majority of 45-50's that I encountered were demonstrably better than their 1-44 counterparts. The numbered ranks were no accident for the most part.

Well, yeah... I mean, sure I get what you're saying. But it wasn't exactly uncommon to go into a ranked playlist, and almost immediatly be able to tell if a guy had a new account because his k/d was insane for his skill level :p It encouraged people to go back to the beginning just so they could go against these "vast majority of players who had a legitimate rank" which in this case is legitimately low, and wreck them :p

Yea but at least then you had to pay for the privilege (Gold). I could post multiple games from today or any other arbitrary day where I eviscerated opposing players, really smashed them up nice. Now it's by design lololol.
-------------------------------------------
Happy for your good news Ram

Aggrotek

Now he's proceeded to send me sweet words of encouragement. :)

u8eZx.png

Ramirez

Thanks for the kind words as usual guys, I really see this disease being a completely different beast in 10-20 years, hopefully!

FyreWulff

1-50 DRAMATICALLY increased boosting. Which in turn, decreased its relevance. This is not arguable. That said we are thinking of ways to let players understand relative skill levels without increasing abuse based on that metric.

The bolded is completely wrong. The numbers were bafflingly large. People with no skill and a lot of time (and occasionally money) on their hands made your 50 a mostly personal achievement.

Amen

Frankie, please give me a # of sleeps. Any # of sleeps will do.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone else have that magical, "there's a new major Halo releasing this year" feeling? A year earlier than normal but it's happening.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anyone else have that magical, "there's a new major Halo releasing this year" feeling? A year earlier than normal but it's happening.

Yeah, I love Halo, even with its faults. It and Ghost Recon are the top of my favorite games and I get both this year.

Only thing that sucks is Halo comes out in November and I graduate in December.

Just for that, if Viewtiful Joe 3 is ever announced, I hope it's 2.5D.

I'm no Viewtiful, but I'll dong with you if you like. ;)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm going to get quit banned just because of my shitty Internet. Fuck Mediacom.

My web (cable/modem) has been dropping randomly for 1-2 minutes at a time for 3 weeks now. Happens at completely random times and hangs. The tech came out and all he could "find" was that there was a small bit of corrosive stuff on the coax, which I don't see at all. Sure enough, as soon as he left it started up again. Ugh.

kylej

Banned
People boosting!= 1-50 has no merit. So what if people got to 50 without any skill? They would lose it immediately if they played against the majority of people at that level. Proclaiming boosters to be such a problem that the whole system needs to be scrapped is a false premise. A few accurately placed, lesser skilled people might get beat up on the booster's climb up the ranks, but it doesn't last, and the wheat taking an occasional pounding from the chaff is a part of every ranking system.

Frankie's posts read solely like a not-so-subtle warning to prepare people that 343 won't be bringing back that system.

FyreWulff

Halo 3 had the mixed parties thing right? Anything to make that more strict? Would that help?

They were able to adjust it per-playlist, but it still eventually went looking for all skills. If you made it so parties with >10 TS spread couldn't search, the playlist that'd be active in would have pretty bad search times and would probably bottom out eventually.

The strictest skill matching in Reach is Arena.

There's no issue with the system, or the nomenclature - it's the poitioning and perceived value. This is one of those instances where you should be careful what you wish for and the law of unintended consequences. But we have some ideas.

stankles says no-thankles to mis-perceived rankles

feel

Time to get a good PC for DayZ.
Yep, I'm about to blow around $1500-$1700 making the jump into high-end pc gaming for that. Not just because of it (wanna play a bunch of cool exclusives like Amnesia, and much better looking games overall, consoles are so outdated and most games are shallow experiences that treat you like a dumbass baby), but it pushed me over the edge.

Yep, I'm about to blow around $1500-$1700 making the jump into high-end pc gaming for that. Not just because of it (wanna play a bunch of cool exclusives like Amnesia, and much better looking games overall, consoles are so outdated), but it pushed me over the edge.

I just built my first PC in over a decade.. feelsgoodman.gif

You can do a lot with $1500 these days. Check out that new GTX 690 they just released as well, if you want to go latest and greatest. I picked up a GTX 550 Ti, because the only game I plan to run is D3.

People boosting!= 1-50 has no merit. So what if people got to 50 without any skill? They would lose it immediately if they played against the majority of people at that level. Proclaiming boosters to be such a problem that the whole system needs to be scrapped is a false premise. A few accurately placed, lesser skilled people might get beat up on the booster's climb up the ranks, but it doesn't last, and the wheat taking an occasional pounding from the chaff is a part of every ranking system.

Frankie's posts read solely like a not-so-subtle warning to prepare people that 343 won't be bringing back that system.
This post reads like a not-so-subtle internet bully advocating internet bullying.

kylej

Banned
This post reads like a not-so-subtle internet bully advocating internet bullying.

Or simply making a valid point. I know you're concerned about things like the Halo Reach credit economy being cheated by people using an obtuse loophole to gain an extra 4 credits per day, but I'd rather discuss things like framerate, matchmaking, and map quality. There is no internet bullying in account boosting. Not one person is being cheated out of anything. A Starcraft ranking system seems ideal, but there probably aren't enough resources for something like that.

Last time the people in charge tried that we got The Arena. You could be the top 5% of Roger fucking Clemens but nobody gave a shit. I think having a ranked/social dichotomy is as important as having a good ranking system. One ranked playlist is utterly insufficient.

Arena failed for a number of reasons, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have elements of it that were good, and could be built on for the future.

I'm glad that 343 is exploring new ranked options and not just slapping the horrid 1-50 into the game (I never actually thought they would, but some here want it).

GhaleonEB

While true, boosting can get to the point where it causes more harm than the system does good. 1-50 as implemented was an enormous problem. I do like the idea of some kind of relative skill feedback to players, and Stinkles has been saying they're looking at options. But I've never been able to think of something that wouldn't pervert player behavior greatly.

Or simply making a valid point. I know you're concerned about things like the Halo Reach credit economy being cheated by people using an obtuse loophole to gain an extra 4 credits per day, but I'd rather discuss things like framerate, matchmaking, and map quality. There is no internet bullying in account boosting. Not one person is being cheated out of anything. A Starcraft ranking system seems ideal, but there probably aren't enough resources for something like that.

Why rehash the same points you've been making for months? Do you not agree at how boosters and co ruined ranked play for 3? Do you not see how it negatively impacted on the system? Do you not see how a 50 boosting an account cheated the players with skills less than 45 out of fair games?

Tawpgun

While true, boosting can get to the point where it causes more harm than the system does good. 1-50 as implemented was an enormous problem. I do like the idea of some kind of relative skill feedback to players, and Stinkles has been saying they're looking at options. But I've never been able to think of something that wouldn't pervert player behavior greatly.

Reverting ranks. What's the point of buying a 50 if you lose it in a month or 2?

Arena had a great idea, but the playlist was marred by shitty management and a complete lack of understanding of what the people in Arena wanted.

I'd like a more in depth, clear version of what Arena has. Show divisions, but have different symbols for standing within that division. Make it win/loss based. Include it in a Team Hardcore/MLG playlists.

heckfu

Banned
Why rehash the same points you've been making for months? Do you not agree at how boosters and co ruined ranked play for 3? Do you not see how it negatively impacted on the system? Do you not see how a 50 boosting an account cheated the players with skills less than 45 out of fair games?
I don't see the big deal about boosting or buying an account for a 50. I mean, it's pathetic, but it actually has the potential to give me easier matches down the road when those scrubs enter matchmaking and get railed.

I think having a 1-50 is better than the current system as well. I don't know the solution to fixing the problems, either, but we have some bright minds at 343.

Risen

No it doesn't... Here's a novel idea... How about policing the people that are offending rather than removing a mechanic that provides a metric people liked.

I don't think anyone would argue that ranks (or any limited in number or quantity in game item) leads to increased behavior such as boosting.

The same sort of thought process was present from H2 to H3.

Rather than developing out of fear that someone might act inappropriately, why not develop a system and then punish the offenders when and if they surface.

I'd much prefer a 1-50 system and a heavy banhammer than a bastardized system with even less value than previous iterations.

Reverting ranks. What's the point of buying a 50 if you lose it in a month or 2?

Arena had a great idea, but the playlist was marred by shitty management and a complete lack of understanding of what the people in Arena wanted.

I'd like a more in depth, clear version of what Arena has. Show divisions, but have different symbols for standing within that division. Make it win/loss based. Include it in a Team Hardcore/MLG playlists.

For the most part, there is no reason for me anymore to work my ass off in a game, other than personal satisfaction. I get pretty much the same number of credits for being Dr. Mike DongBlain LLC, or drinking a beer and watching TV out of the corner of my eye. Motivation to improve or care at all = non-existent. What you do in a match doesn't matter from one game to the next, there is no progression. It doesn't matter. When your trueskill number was slapped up there for the world to see, people cared about it.

Not that these are the only options, but if I had to chose between a system where people cared enough about it to cheat, and system where no one cared and outright killed competitive Halo, I know which one I'd rather have.

Top Bottom