• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crucio

Halo 4 Fiction Panel had great nuggets. Thanks to waypoint team for uploading these, I'm looking forward to the others.

Also Firefly Anniversary panel was grand. So happy to see Firefly get some more love.

Damn.

Indie Game the Movie is really fucking good. Have a new found sense of all these guys. Especially Jonathan Blow. A must watch if you ask me.

I love these Indie Dev stories and docs. I eat that shit up.

It really is a great film. The pressure those guys put on themselves is unreal. And those scenes on release day of Super Meat Boy were so good, such a feel good ending for Team Meat.

[
moEzq.jpg

/quote]

Mastrqt

/sai

DD-11

So you're hoping it's going to suck so you will reap vindication? This isn't the first time you've said this.

We're just going to have to accept the fact that some people will try (successfully) to hate Halo 4 because it doesn't live up to some magical or imagined past Halo game that nostalgia has created.

heckfu

Banned
Seriously, today has been an awesome day for HaloGaf all around. Happy to be a part of a group like this with you guys and gals.

kylej

Banned
There are plenty of changes I don't like myself but it's not reason to be pessimistic and shit on the game.

I'd be less pessimistic if there were something to be optimistic about as a fan of traditional Halo. Honestly, talk is cheap. Yeah yeah, evolving Halo, pushing boundaries. All I see is a bunch of by-committee decisions coming from the top in an attempt to grab part of the CoD market-share. It's a numbers game. It's design 101, really. Look at what the competition is doing right, bring their ideas into your own product and in doing so improve the entirety of what you're creating. The problem with a product like Halo is its legacy; you're now shoehorning things in which damage part of its identity - which is more than metal space marines and BRs, by the way - and alienating the core group of people who fell in love with the original product. Which is fine as long as they can bring enough new people in to satisfy the shareholders and execs. Who knows if that will happen.

All I know is I play Halo: Reach multiple times a week, every week, and while 343 promises Halo 4 will have great streamlined playlists, matchmaking in Reach is still a shit-show. I've heard enough empty promises from Halo devs to last me a lifetime. What I can actually see is the current Halo game festering away, while the people in charge say the next game won't suffer from the same problems as the current game, even though they have the opportunity to fix it now. I am well aware that resources must be allocated properly, and in doing so existing products can get left behind, but it still resonates poorly with me.

People always fall for the hype train. They eat up developer promises, regurgitate press releases and get lost in the excitement. Hell, I posted that stuff the other day from the Reach Beta thread where people were trying to convince me that bloom was an "evolution" in gun play and that I needed to adapt. The very person who starts all these OTs said weakening grenades, making the pistol more powerful, and adding bleed-through were "very, very bad ideas". It's full on Kool-Aid mode right now, and I'm not claiming to be a soothsayer but you can in fact provide feedback prior to release without playing the game. The incredulity with which some people view the negative comments of fans of traditional Halo - in a thread swarming with dislike about superfluous additions to traditional Halo (hello, Reach) is hysterical.

I mean, here's how I break it down:

I like traditional Halo
- We're showing off riot shields, perks and prestiges

I expect major leaps in Forge after three years of dev time, enough so that bad original maps could potentially be bested by community maps
- Forge looks the same except it has better lighting

I like clean, simple maps that are elegantly designed and play great
- Huge maps with fancy skyboxes and giant mechs that seem like they're designed to fit into the canon rather than built for gameplay

Proper playlist management could alleviate a lot of my fears
- 343 playlist management has been horrendous in the time they've been in charge

I don't put faith in promises
- 343 says "trust us"

Could Halo 4 be the greatest Halo ever? I guess. Could it have proper playlists that offer standard Halo with the bonus of a hit-scan BR and better netcode? Sure it could, I hope it does. Right now though, to say there is no reason to be pessimistic is to put your head in the sand.

Vire

Watching the Fiction Panel.

Armando Troisi seems like a really smart dude, hopefully we can expect similar quality to that of the Mass Effect games he previous worked on.

I'd be less pessimistic if there were something to be optimistic about as a fan of traditional Halo. Honestly, talk is cheap. Yeah yeah, evolving Halo, pushing boundaries. All I see is a bunch of by-committee decisions coming from the top in an attempt to grab part of the CoD market-share. It's a numbers game. It's design 101, really. Look at what the competition is doing right, bring their ideas into your own product and in doing so improve the entirety of what you're creating. The problem with a product like Halo is its legacy; you're now shoehorning things in which damage part of its identity - which is more than metal space marines and BRs, by the way - and alienating the core group of people who fell in love with the original product. Which is fine as long as they can bring enough new people in to satisfy the shareholders and execs. Who knows if that will happen.

All I know is I play Halo: Reach multiple times a week, every week, and while 343 promises Halo 4 will have great streamlined playlists, matchmaking in Reach is still a shit-show. I've heard enough empty promises from Halo devs to last me a lifetime. What I can actually see is the current Halo game festering away, while the people in charge say the next game won't suffer from the same problems as the current game, even though they have the opportunity to fix it now. I am well aware that resources must be allocated properly, and in doing so existing products can get left behind, but it still resonates poorly with me.

People always fall for the hype train. They eat up developer promises, regurgitate press releases and get lost in the excitement. Hell, I posted that stuff the other day from the Reach Beta thread where people were trying to convince me that bloom was an "evolution" in gun play and that I needed to adapt. The very person who starts all these OTs said weakening grenades, making the pistol more powerful, and adding bleed-through were "very, very bad ideas". It's full on Kool-Aid mode right now, and I'm not claiming to be a soothsayer but you can in fact provide feedback prior to release without playing the game. The incredulity with which some people view the negative comments of fans of traditional Halo - in a thread swarming with dislike about superfluous additions to traditional Halo (hello, Reach) is hysterical.

I mean, here's how I break it down:

I like traditional Halo
- We're showing off riot shields, perks and prestiges

I expect major leaps in Forge after three years of dev time, enough so that bad original maps could potentially be bested by community maps
- Forge looks the same except it has better lighting

I like clean, simple maps that are elegantly designed and play great
- Huge maps with fancy skyboxes and giant mechs that seem like they're designed to fit into the canon rather than built for gameplay

Proper playlist management could alleviate a lot of my fears
- 343 playlist management has been horrendous in the time they've been in charge

I don't put faith in promises
- 343 says "trust us"

Could Halo 4 be the greatest Halo ever? I guess. Could it have proper playlists that offer standard Halo with the bonus of a hit-scan BR and better netcode? Sure it could, I hope it does. Right now though, to say there is no reason to be pessimistic is to put your head in the sand.
On the Hype train or not Hardcore/Pros would totally agree with this for it's straight up facts. I like the honesty you give that most fans overall lack the time and effort to provide a reasonable pov of the pros and cons.

Pretty much agreed, Kyle. Although I guess I'm a bit more optimistic that the "new version" or whatever of Halo has the potential to be really fun. So overall I guess I'm very cautiously optimistic.

GhaleonEB

Prometheus is incredible iron chef buffet spread but somebody laid it out wrong. There's cheese sauce on the dessert.

This is a brilliantly succinct description of Prometheus.

Been rearranging my house and adding new stuffz to it all day. Some catch up thoughts:

--Yay for a hoodie for Hyper, good show guys. 343 rocks for doing things like this. (I wore mine for like, six months straight this fall/winter, they're ridiculously cozy.)

--I expected some alterations to objective game types given 343's updated take on Slayer, though I didn't anticipate the specific CTF alteration. When I read the news I thought the flag would be on the back, Speedflag style, and found it looks kinda goofy with the flag in one hand and the pistol in another. The magic pistol teleporting into the carrier's hand is....odd, but I can see where they're going from a gameplay standpoint. Are carrier's base speed still reduced? Since everyone has Sprint I'm not sure it's as essential; the pistol limitation on the carrier may be enough. Need to play. Also, stop rambling.

--Objective assassinations look great, as does Oddball tossing/catching.

--Please 343, put out a vidoc like this, or perhaps this, describing the changes to MP and your thoughts behind them. Bungie was so great at putting out videos that actually explained their game (such as this), but there's a HUGE hole in the way information is communicated from 343. Fan reaction videos, sizzle reels, typically poor gaming journalism muddling messaging, and now liveblog updates from convention panels is sending tons of incomplete, out of context or poor communicated information to most of the fan base. Please, put something together about your MP along the lines of the vidocs above, they're not only sorely missed, but given the scope of the changes to MP, I think they're a critical tool for actually explaining this stuff in ways 343 has not done a great job of so far.

FyreWulff

So wait, do you always get a pistol when carrying a flag, or does the pistol have to be one of the weapons you're holding? Because if it just appears, there'd be no point to weighing taking two rifles when grabbing the flag would always give me a pistol.

GhaleonEB

So wait, do you always get a pistol when carrying a flag, or does the pistol have to be one of the weapons you're holding? Because if it just appears, there'd be no point to weighing taking two rifles when grabbing the flag would always give me a pistol.

From what I've read, you just get a pistol along with the flag when you pick it up. Might be mistaken.

m23

Finished reading Primordium again......I was pretty disappointed at the lack of greg bear on the Fiction Panel.

Ryaaan14

Banned

I want to know this too. I also want to know if this shit is going to apply to every CTF game.

I'm still upset as hell about this. Even more than the lobby UI.

Vire

Been rearranging my house and adding new stuffz to it all day. Some catch up thoughts:

--Yay for a hoodie for Hyper, good show guys. 343 rocks for doing things like this. (I wore mine for like, six months straight this fall/winter, they're ridiculously cozy.)

--I expected some alterations to objective game types given 343's updated take on Slayer, though I didn't anticipate the specific CTF alteration. When I read the news I thought the flag would be on the back, Speedflag style, and found it looks kinda goofy with the flag in one hand and the pistol in another. The magic pistol teleporting into the carrier's hand is....odd, but I can see where they're going from a gameplay standpoint. Are carrier's base speed still reduced? Since everyone has Sprint I'm not sure it's as essential; the pistol limitation on the carrier may be enough. Need to play. Also, stop rambling.

--Please 343, put out a vidoc like this, or perhaps this, describing the changes to MP and your thoughts behind them. Bungie was so great at putting out videos that actually explained their game (such as this), but there's a HUGE hole in the way information is communicated from 343. Fan reaction videos, sizzle reels, typically poor gaming journalism muddling messaging, and now liveblog updates from convention panels is sending tons of incomplete, out of context or poor communicated information to most of the fan base. Please, put something together about your MP along the lines of the vidocs above, they're not only sorely missed, but given the scope of the changes to MP, I think they're a critical tool for actually explaining this stuff in ways 343 has not done a great job of so far.

I think Bungie spoiled us in this regard since it's really not all too common that you get ViDoc's for big budget games these days where the developers peel back the curtain a little. Unfortunately, it seems like the all of the behind the scenes stuff has been relegated to limited and collector's editions. I really hope 343 steps up to the plate though because Halo is such an intricate game and with so many changes made to the sandbox, it would be great to hear from the source itself about what went into it. What we are getting now is like the telephone game from pre-school where the message is passed on through three different sources until it eventually get's back to us in a garbled mess. Hopefully this can be addressed in the near future.

Again, information not clearly communicated to the fan-base at large. I know Frankie tries his best on here, but it sometimes isn't enough. Bungie was much better at explaining this kind of stuff through Bungie Weekly Updates...

FyreWulff

From what I've read, you just get a pistol along with the flag when you pick it up. Might be mistaken.

I mean, from a UI and game flow standpoint, that's one of the better solution - you don't want players getting confused as to why they can shoot a gun with the flag and at other times they cannot. So the flag acting the same way each time you picked it up works better for the general population. edit: also it's theoretically safer engine-wise as if you force the pistol when the flag is picked up, it'd be harder for people to trick the game into doing something like carrying a BR or Sniper Rifle with the flag.

But on the other hand, why would I even select a sidearm in an objective loadout if I don't have to trade being able to attack with the flag for two ranged weapons off-spawn?

This absolutely should happen. Completely agree that the ViDocs/BTS videos are sorely missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom