• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Really wish they could stream it but I am sure we will get the meat of it quickly. I am really excited to see more footage.

I think it's SDCC policy that panels are not streamed.

I can confirm goodies at today's panel however.

Halo 4's MP isn't bad. It is still kind of fun by it's own merit, it's just not as good as other halo games. Destiny's PVP sucks compared to everything else I could play.

ObFnbQh.png

"Isn't that bad"

QKT100

Banned
I honestly think Microsoft should go the TF2 route with Halo, just make the game a platform and have it last the entire generation. This would mean we could avoid all of the audience segregation shit.

"Isn't that bad"
To be fair, population numbers and other cold hard stats/data don't tell the entire story. Think of the discussions we've had on here regarding the Reach Grenade Launcher, for example.

By the time Halo 4 came around, Halo fans were already conscious of how things could get worse after Reach if 343 continued down that path. It was only a matter of time at that point before the population as a whole said, "Nope. That ain't Fal.. Halo." People weren't going to spend another several years playing Halo 4 when they already played years of Reach and years of other games doing perks/unlocks/progression systems/etc. much more effectively.

Yeah true, I just would like to think the Brass at MS aren't all slow adults. Good Business is making your best selling franchise playable Day One on the new console you want to sell. I hope the decision for not being able to play Halo on XBone for a whole Year was for Tech reasons and not business related. But who knows, I got it anyway and I'm having fun in the Destiny Beta. Can't wait for that MC Collection, hoping there will be some fun HaloGaf Customs going on when the time
comes
Hey they're taking lessons from Nintendo. No Smash Bros, Mario Kart, or a "new" Mario game when launched unless you really count Super Mario Bros. U as a new game.
I don't...
Seriously, the Wii U was a joke when it first released. A couple of my friends raced out and got it on day 1 and all I could think was, "have fun!"

Furthermore, everything points
to the Flood powder thingys mentioned in the Forerunner saga. Basically the Ancient Human empire came across a bunch of powders from ancient starships. Initially found to be harmless, they used it on their pets as a way to genetically customize them. Lo and behold, the Flood arises out of these pets and the Ancient Human Empire takes drastic steps.

Also:

1. Darkness on an abandoned ring with a previous Flood infection.
2. The director of Prometheus is producing this. The helmet's yellow lights already suggest some link between the two.
3. Flood is coming back into the Halo story line as we saw in Escalation.
4. Fighting the Covenant again is very unlikely, and while it is possible that ONI/rogue UNSC/Innies might be present, I doubt they are the main threat.

TLDR:
The Flood is likely to be in Halo Nightfall.
Remember that the suggestion that the substance only harms humans may be false; it is not the absolute truth, but it is what they believe in.
Or, the Flood is targeting humans specifically.

Pretty much recicled prometheus.

I don't care how many people are playing the game, it's still not that bad.
As much as I'm not really a fan of Halo 4's multiplayer, what you say is true. The graph doesn't provide any context. Halo 4 under a completely different name would have had more longevity. The problem with Halo 4 is people expect to play halo, not some other game. And people who aren't fans of halo aren't going to venture out and try a new halo title. So you lose the current fan base while not gaining any replacements.

To be fair, population numbers and other cold hard stats/data don't tell the entire story. Think of the discussions we've had on here regarding the Reach Grenade Launcher, for example.

By the time Halo 4 came around, Halo fans were already conscious of how things could get worse after Reach if 343 continued down that path. It was only a matter of time at that point before the population as a whole said, "Nope. That ain't Fal.. Halo." People weren't going to spend another several years playing Halo 4 when they already played years of Reach and years of other games doing perks/unlocks/progression systems/etc. much more effectively.

I don't care how many people are playing the game, it's still not that bad.

Even without looking at the population, the had tons of issues like: instant respawn, no descope, global ordnance, personal ordnance, the boltshot, sticky flag, spawning with PP and stickies in BTB, no in-game ranks, awful matchmaking, JiP, poor playlist management, botched custom game settings, mediocre to awful maps, disappearing ammo, no friendly fire, awful (AWFUL) UI, lack of legacy gametypes, etc etc.

The horse has been beaten a million times over, Halo 4's multiplayer just wasn't very good by Halo standards, and FPS standards in general. Would it have the population if they made a great Halo game? I don't know, but I doubt as many fans would have felt alienated.

Even without looking at the population, the had tons of issues like: instant respawn, no descope, global ordnance, personal ordnance, the boltshot, sticky flag, spawning with PP and stickies in BTB, no in-game ranks, awful matchmaking, JiP, poor playlist management, botched custom game settings, mediocre to awful maps, disappearing ammo, no friendly fire, awful (AWFUL) UI, lack of legacy gametypes, etc etc.

And you know what the crazy thing about this is? That I, and I'm guessing several others, still find Halo 4 more fun than a polished Destiny multiplayer lol. It's just something about the combination of mechanics and design choices in Destiny that I don't find interest for, especially for the long haul. I heavily dislike ADS shooters so that's a big one, Destiny feels like it doesn't have much character or soul (hopefully that'll change after playing through the full game), and as a package I feel like we may actually not be getting all that much.

EDIT:
Damn, is Destiny multiplayer that bad?

I'm only really interested in the campaign and co-op aspects anyway, but I figured Bungie still had the ability to put together something fun for the multiplayer suite despite Halo's downward spiral.
It probably seems worse right now since there's only 3 maps, one gametype, and players with limited abilities. I'm interested to see how many maps Destiny ships with.

antigoon

I'm only really interested in the campaign and co-op aspects anyway, but I figured Bungie still had the ability to put together something fun for the multiplayer suite despite Halo's downward spiral.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

No, Destiny MP is solid and a lot of fun, it just needs a few tweaks and some balancing (thus the whole "beta" tag on it). The gameplay feels solid right out of the box and the games are fun. I'm anxious to see what it's like (and what playlists they have) in the full release.

The horse has been beaten a million times over, Halo 4's multiplayer just wasn't very good by Halo standards, and FPS standards in general. Would it have the population if they made a great Halo game? I don't know, but I doubt as many fans would have felt alienated.
I'm not trying to say that Halo 4 is the best Halo game. In my opinion it's actually the worst Halo game, but that's not a new opinion around here and I don't want to beat a dead horse. What I'm saying is that even the worst Halo game is still good compares to anything else. I'd rather play Halo 4 than most games.

Regardless it's better than Destiny's crucible. That's what started this whole discussion.

TheXbox

Halo fans are exaggerating because they are shocked and appalled Destiny is not a Halo game.

It's just okay. PvP is totally functional and completely ridiculous. Someone in another thread made a Mario Kart comparison, and I think that's apt. It has no custom games, no theater, no map editor, nothing. It is a barebones, random, inoffensive FPS multiplayer suite. Nothing more, nothing less. PvE and story content is this game's strength, and that's pretty much what Bungie pitched it as. It's a co-op game, the PvP is an adequate supplement to a game that would be fine without it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo fans are exaggerating because they are shocked and appalled Destiny is not a Halo game.

It's just okay. PvP is totally functional and completely ridiculous. Someone in another thread made a Mario Kart comparison, and I think that's apt. It has no custom games, no theater, no map editor, nothing. It is a barebones, random, inoffensive FPS multiplayer suite. Nothing more, nothing less. PvE and story content is this game's strength, and that's pretty much what Bungie pitched it as. It's a co-op game, the PvP is an adequate supplement to a game that would be fine without it.

That's why I don't like it

And you know what the crazy thing about this is? That I, and I'm guessing several others, still find Halo 4 more fun than a polished Destiny multiplayer lol. It's just something about the combination of mechanics and design choices in Destiny that I don't find interest for, especially for the long haul. I heavily dislike ADS shooters so that's a big one, Destiny feels like it doesn't have much character or soul (hopefully that'll change after playing through the full game), and as a package I feel like we may actually not be getting all that much.

It's obviously not for everyone and I know there are some people who won't like it because it has the generic FPS tropes like sprint and ADS. I hope it's not just the honeymoon phase, but I'm really enjoying it. But opinions man, I'm sure some crazy people actually want the CE pistol to comeback!
:p

It's obviously not for everyone and I know there are some people who won't like it because it has the generic FPS tropes like sprint and ADS. I hope it's not just the honeymoon phase, but I'm really enjoying it. But opinions man, I'm sure some crazy people actually want the CE pistol to comeback!
:p
WhatYouTalkinBout.png

They took the CE Pistol and made it a super!

vThis

Its a fun multiplayer on its own if you want to shoot around other people. I think the main problem about Destiny Multiplayer is it lacks personality or something that makes you says I want to play Destinty because of this feature.

Vico

I don't know if I said this yesterday, but Nightfall looks phenomenal. FUD feels so cheap compared to what we see in that trailer.

BigShow36

Honestly, I think it was good for Bungie to leave the Halo brand and do Destiny (personally, I'm just glad they are no longer ruining Halo). It allows them to move on from the core Halo gameplay which they obviously despised. Destiny has freed them to create a multiplayer experience more in line with their own vision and not try to change Halo to fit it. Destiny multiplayer is not a competitive game, and that's the first thing people need to understand. Bungie doesn't have a good enough grasp of anything regarding competitive play for that to happen, even if they wanted it to be competitive.

Is the game fun? Sure, as long as you don't go in expecting a necessarily fair and balanced experience. Think of it like a blend between Borderlands and Call of Duty. It's fun to stomp people in public matches, but anyone who tries to make this a competitive game played at tournaments doesn't have a very good grasp on reality (I'm looking at you, CoD tournaments).

Hopefully 343 now feels freed from the ghost of Bungie and can bring Halo back in line with, well, Halo. That remains to be seen, as Bungie had already ruined Halo's formula before they left and 343 may feel some misguided loyalty to that for whatever odd reason. At least we can look forward to the MCC.

Mix

I'm more and more excited about this game every time they say something new about it. Zanzibar was another map we were guessing at, so now they just need to announce Midship, Ivory Tower, and Lockout

Top Bottom