• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary Super Mario Bros 3 (In NA)

Today 25 years ago Super Mario Bros 3 was released in North America. The game was released in 1988 in Japan and in 1991 in Europe.
250px-Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

How big it was? It was the climax of a movie:
contests-pic-3.jpg

Anyway I have nothing but good memories of this game, evry single little detail from the shoe to the tanooki suit (at that time I had no idea what a tanooki was), the control was spot on, the extras were both fascinating and frustrating, like the memory game (thankfully there was a Nintendo Power issue with the whole thing resolved) and more important it was a long enjoyable experience. Way different from Doki Doki Panic (AKA Super Mario Bros NA) and for us a nice return to the classic SMB formula with wverything upgraded.

From the giant enemies to the final level with those flying plataforms it was a blast to play for me, the Koopa kids, Toad being actually useful (instead of the "Our princess in in anotehr castle") and the item bar were fantastic aditions to the title, but right now I think a save option'd be better, dunno today gaming world probably spoil me about Iong gaming sesions, or maybe the real world is finally there and even if I enjoy this title as a adult is not the same back when I was 10 years.
gfs_28422_2_11.jpg

I didn't play this until All-Stars, as I started out on SNES, so Mario World is more dear to me. This game is great fun though, and clearly the precursor to what we got in World.

Grok4Spock

I remember the first time I saw SMB 3 in action... The graphics, the sound, the whole package was just the most amazing thing ever! 1990 was a pretty good year to be a Nintendrone...

I remember sitting and playing this in my spiderman undies at age 4 or 5. It was a great christmas gift. I remember losing my shit when you got to the world where the enemies are oversized. Awesome game.

Tall Paul

Literally now having flashbacks to me as a kid watching The Wizard and freaking out when SMB3 was shown, in an age of no internet that surprise was awesome. Such a great game, still hum the world map tune.

Tall Paul

...and that level where you pushed up to go behind the scenes at the start, the first of many hidden level routes....must play again.

Happy 25th indeed. Not just a great Mario game, but one of the greatest games of all time. The level design, the soundtrack, the secrets, the improved physics over SMB1 and SMB2 USA, the power ups, the bosses, etc...

Currently I own 3 versions. The Wii U NES VC one, the one in the SNES All-Stars cartridge, and again in All-Stars for the Wii.

On one of my first playthroughs with my friends, deciding to skip flutes and "100%" the game (go through all the levels) remains, to this day, one of the best gaming related decisions I've ever made in my life.

This game, my favorite game of all time, is 4 months older than I am. Time sure does fly by. I remember playing this game when I was 5 or 6 years old and even then I knew it was something special. Okay maybe not but over time I began to truly appreciate its greatness and that Nintendo magic that would help define my gaming taste. I don't know anyone who doesn't like this game, whether they still play games or not. Happy Anniversary to the best game ever made. Thank you Nintendo.

Laws00

This game I remember when I got the game.

Was barely 5 years old living in PA

dad brought it home after work.

Funny enough I never saw the wizard till years later and said wtf why are they excited about mario 3? didnt find out till later the movie was old and it was what? months or a year till the game came out. i dont know i was playing it or did play it before I heard the movie,

bengraven

Everyone became obsessive over it. My local rental store actually bought four or five Famicoms to import the game when it came out and were charging $20 a night to play it.

The commercial was epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU80R7jGanE

A girl in our class announced the title to us, in these internet-less days when we had no idea it was even announced for America. She got it the day it came out. Christmas? The fucking game was MIA from most stores.

Thankfully my grandmother worked at the local department store, so guess who had a copy stuffed behind the front counter just in time for Christmas?

My favorite game of the last century.

One of the greatest games of all time celebrates its 25th anniversary and Nintendo can't be bothered to offer it on sale on their digital services.

Missed opportunity.

Miguel81

My absolute favorite Mario game of all time. The visuals, music, and various worlds to play through were such a big jump from the previous titles. Still love the Raccoon(Tanooki) Suit and Giant Land. Happy Anniversary, Super Mario Bros. 3!

woopWOOP

I co-op'd through this game once more together with my oldest gaming friend a few weeks/months ago as he never played the game before (he played/loved Mario World since childhood tho). Game is still a blast to play with the Dark World stages getting pretty nail bitingly difficult at times.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Only 1.5 years until Europe can join the celebrations.

Anyway, it's a great game, surprisingly hard (especially in the last world). I prefer SMW, but I was also slightly LTTP with this game, I first played it on the All-Stars collection.

Top Bottom