• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary Super Mario Bros 3 (In NA)

tuffy

It really took a lot of the best elements from Super Mario Bros. 2 like one-way background platforms, pick-up capabilities (now mostly limited to shells/bombs) and big Mario's new sprite. Then it combined it with some of the best elements from the original Super Mario Bros. like little Mario's sprite and breakable blocks. Finally it added a bunch of new elements of its own like slopes, and both horizontal and vertical scrolling. The end result was the most complete Mario platformer and a pretty remarkable technical achievement for the aging NES.

Seanlole

it's still the most challenging mario game ever created. finishing it without warping is an experience of hardcore gaming.

Saganator

I was about 7 or 8 when we got it. I remember it being a pretty big deal. Even non-gamer kids knew Mario 3 was the shit. I was never very good at platformers, so I was never able to beat the last level. Even when I went back to it in my college days, I just couldn't beat that last ship. Alcohol probably didn't help, though.

Chrozi

Neo Member
I picked up Karnov for the NES at Toys R Us and it came with a free premier issue of GamePro which had a spread on SMB 3, I read the magazine more than I played Karnov.

My dad surprised me with it on launch :)

AdanVC

One of the best games ever made. My very first Mario game experience was with Super Mario World wich was included on the Super Mario All-Stars compilation. So my first time playing SMB 3 was there, later we got a NES and it's when I played it in all it's 8-bit glory and it was memorable.

Nintendo should have hired M2 to create Super Mario Bros. 3-D

God damn! Nintendo why you didn't do dis? It would have been perfect! Well Mario Maker is coming and they already stated that they will be doing cool things to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros :)

I didn't even realize this milestone was coming, and just this past weekend I had the urge to watch The Wizard again. That movie is actually much better than I remember it being as a kid, ironically enough. I think this weekend I'm going to do a play through of Mario 3 to celebrate.

Icefire1424

The day I got this as a kid, I couldn't play it since I had to go to one of my sisters ballet recitals. Spent the entire time at the recital reading the manual over, and over, and over. Was the most painful 3ish hours of my life.

Greatest game ever made (in my opinion). I played it a lot on the NES and a lot more on the GBA. And I love the box art, so simple and timeless.

bengraven

We used to study this when we weren't home to be able to play.

wcpAgm4.jpg

It also helps you cheat on the match 2 game since there are only 16 or so boards.

-----

I was the first person I know to discover that you can warp to world 8 by using a whistle in the whistle world. I was so excited I sent a letter to EGM hoping to get in the back of the mag in the tips section, but never got a response back.

One of the greatest games of all time, and it's only on page 2?

C"mon GAF, what's up with that.

I think the old people told their stories already and there isn't much more to say. :p

Best Mario Game ever! Nothing ever came close to top it. Perfection! M.C. Kids came pretty close though!

I was obsessed with MC because of the map screen. Like Mario 3 and a bit of Mario World, I had to have it. Never did.

Huh. Well how about that?

Never finished it, but really enjoyed it.

The only two things in the game that terrified me as a kid were that freakin' sun!.
and this... thing:

Boss-Bass-e-Big-Bertha.png

tuffy

It also helps you cheat on the match 2 game since there are only 16 or so boards.
I actually spotted this part on my own. I kept mapping them out with a piece of paper until I had all the boards figured out. Then I could pick two items (like leftmost top, leftmost bottom which are mostly unique), note what board I was on and get the rest.

It didn't take long to completely fill my bars with flowers, mushrooms and stars.

GenG3000

Best 2D Mario. I've always found Super Mario World redundant and tame compared to the design and wackiness of 3. I never get tired of playing it and its arcade-y and random nature does really help.

120v

i'm kind of surprised it's only 25 years old... seemed like forever ago

but that game was an event like no other. i've yet to see something like that again in my lifetime... that yellow box was like a holy relic to every kid and adult

deleted

It is an amazing game - I want to return to the All Stars Version though, since that was the one I grew up with. Sadly the GBA port is garbage and Nintendo didn't release the SNES version again.

The memories though...

I'll never forget my friend renting the import of this before it launched in NA. Came with the adapter which had a little piece of fabric glued to it so you could pull it out of the system. Not sure what a mom 'n' pop video rental store was doing importing games in the late 80s, but whatever.

I'm playing it right now for the first time on Wii U VC. It's fun, but truthfully it's pretty hard. I don't know if I'd be able to finish it without them handy save states!

Once I beat it, I think I might go for a run without save states though.

120v

I'm playing it right now for the first time on Wii U VC. It's fun, but truthfully it's pretty hard. I don't know if I'd be able to finish it without them handy save states!

Once I beat it, I think I might go for a run without save states though.

it's all about the 1ups... the game will give you shitloads if you try

one trick is to hit the flashing "cards" at the end of every stage by running and jumping at them diagonally. this will always give you a star (5-up) if you do it right

once you get the hang of the gameplay it really isn't hard at all save for a few later stages

Square2015

I have USA sales data. NoA mentioned in a PR Super Mario Bros. 3 sold 341,000 it's debut week! (A record of course).
Initially 250k were projected first week.
Another PR from May mentions nearly 2,000,000 had sold within two months, with continued shortages reported!

Another from November reports 5.83 million had been shipped.

MONSTER!

Top Bottom