• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Heavens to Betsy!" Mark Russel is writing Snagglepuss, but this time.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW DC COMIC REINVENTS SNAGGLEPUSS AS ‘GAY SOUTHERN GOTHIC PLAYWRIGHT’

DC Comics’ line of reimagined Hanna-Barbera comics is about to expand with a new title. The line, which also includes the sci-fi action series “Scooby Apocalypse” and the politically aware “Flintstones” among its titles, will soon see a reinvention of the pink mountain lion Snagglepuss.

During an interview with HiLoBrow, writer Mark Russell revealed that his next project following the conclusion of DC’s “Prez” will be a Snagglepuss comic that reinvents the cartoon character as “a gay Southern Gothic playwright.”

Of the change, Russell said that it “was not much of a stretch” to make. “I envision him like a tragic Tennessee Williams figure; Huckleberry Hound is sort of a William Faulkner guy, they’re in New York in the 1950s, Marlon Brando shows up, Dorothy Parker, these socialites of New York from that era come and go. I’m looking forward to it.”

An eight-page “Snagglepuss” story will arrive in March as part of the “Suicide Squad/Banana Splits Annual.” “It’s about Snagglepuss being dragged in front of the House Committee on Un-American Activities,” said Russell. The writer added that “Snagglepuss” will start in “September or October,” once his “Flintstones” run concludes with issue #12.
If you want to know why this news is exciting go read Flintstones. NOW.
jnqavEw.jpg

The full interview part with it:
RUSSELL: Other than that unforeseen cancellation, working with them has been really great — and I don’t know if you’ve heard, but I’m also writing a Snagglepuss comic for them.

HILOBROW: Oh. My. God. No, I had not.

RUSSELL: It’s Snagglepuss sort of reinvented as a gay Southern Gothic playwright?

HILOBROW: [Laughs] He is, he is!!

RUSSELL: Yeah, it was not much of a stretch at all. I envision him like a tragic Tennessee Williams figure; Huckleberry Hound is sort of a William Faulkner guy, they’re in New York in the 1950s, Marlon Brando shows up, Dorothy Parker, these socialites of New York from that era come and go. I’m looking forward to it; that’s what I’ll do after The Flintstones. [Russell’s contract in the gravel pit is for 12 issues.] I’ll go right from that into Snagglepuss.

HILOBROW: I’ve long admired the affirmative gayness of Snagglepuss.

RUSSELL: Yeah, it’s never discussed and it’s obviously ignored in the cartoons ’cuz they were made at a time when you couldn’t even acknowledge the existence of such a thing, but it’s still so obvious; so it’s natural to present it in a context where everybody knows, but it’s still closeted. And dealing with the cultural scene of the 1950s, especially on Broadway, where everybody’s gay, or is working with someone who’s gay, but nobody can talk about it — and what it’s like to have to try to create culture out of silence.

HILOBROW: Amazing. So this has been publicly announced?

RUSSELL: Yes, in fact, an eight-page sampler comes out in March in the Suicide Squad/Banana Splits Annual [laughs] — it’s about Snagglepuss being dragged in front of the House Committee on Un-American Activities! Then the series will begin in September or October I think.

jph139

Perhaps the only thing that doesn't feel like a step down from Flintstones. Could be amazing.

Which still hasn't had its first trade come out by the by...

kaitain19

The bigger question is whether Snagglepuss will remain an anthropomorphic mountain lion. I'm worried that they're just going to make him a human in this comic.

Zubz

Banned
I shouldn't've been surprised after The Flintstones comic (Which is probably why I'm not dismissing it at all), but I can't believe I just got sold on a Snagglepuss comic.

Totally missed that last paragraph because I got wrapped up in Snagglepuss. That's kind of a left field decision. Sad to hear the Flintstones comic has an end date, though.

This sounds hilarious and bizarre as hell. Fuck man its crazy how bold this hanna Barbara reimagining has been from DC

Snagglepuss as some Tennessee Williams esque figure sounds about right tho

I saw some random panel of the Flintstones comic and they made their household animals like the garbage disposal pig and shit all existential and depressed lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean the "new" information here is that he's a playwright. Snagglepuss was always pretty out.

I think Suicide Squad/Banana Splits is arguably the single most bizarre crossover concept to ever become an actual comic. Yes, even more than Archie/Punisher or Archie/Predator.

Chojin

I can't believe the same guy who made these amazing comics is the same asshole on pbs who wrote lame songs in his specials my parents forced me to watch in the 80s.

Cheers!

Is the Flintstones comic going to continue?

I don't think it will. But at least it will stand as an excellent set of 12 issues/2 volumes of comics for future generations to discover. Like, holy hell, the Flintstones comic is so good that I'm interested in a freaking Snagglepuss comic because it's by the same writer.

Great writing truly can make anything interesting.

Betsy sounded better.

I know this is months old but I'm kinda irked by this response, it doesn't really matter if "Heavens to Betsy" sounded better, the catchphrase of the character that the thread is about is "Heavens to murgatroyd". It's synonymous with him, to the point where if you type it into Google he appears in the top right of the results page even if you don't include his name in your search.

What an odd thing to get under my skin o_O

---

On topic about the comic, the cover art looks SO much better than that page that was posted. Like not even in the same universe of quality. I wish the interior art looked more like that.

I wonder if the writer will take on other Hanna-Barbara properties after Snagglepuss? And is Flintstones over, or just his run on it and it'll continue with a new writer? [Edit - I see that this was answered while I was writing my post]

I know this is months old but I'm kinda irked by this response, it doesn't really matter if "Heavens to Betsy" sounded better, the catchphrase of the character that the thread is about is "Heavens to murgatroyd". It's synonymous with him, to the point where if you type it into Google he appears in the top right of the results page even if you don't include his name in your search.

What an odd thing to get under my skin o_O

---

On topic about the comic, the cover art looks SO much better than that page that was posted. Like not even in the same universe of quality. I wish the interior art looked more like that.

I wonder if the writer will take on other Hanna-Barbara properties after Snagglepuss? And is Flintstones over, or just his run on it and it'll continue with a new writer? [Edit - I see that this was answered while I was writing my post]

I should have gone with "Exit, stage left".

I should have gone with "Exit, stage left".

Another thing I didn't consider in my weird huff was that with title length limits murgatroyd may not have even fit. I hope I didn't come off as an asshole, I'm aware it's a really trivial and stupid thing to get irked about. Sorry for being so snippy, maybe *I* need to exit stage left ):

Are there any other HB properties that're gonna get this kind of treatment from DC that we know about? Off the top of my head I'm aware of Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, and Wacky Racers... did they do a Jetsons? I've always liked the classic HB characters and I've tried to think up ways to reboot them a couple times over the years, this isn't how I'd have done it but I'm still glad someone's doing SOMETHING with them and making them relevant again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom