• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me choose a new GBA game to get!

Bowser

I'm thinking of:

Mario vs Donkey Kong
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Metroid: Zero Mission

(and anything else you guys can think of)

FIGHT!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
All three are worthy of your money.

We need more info to go on, what type of game are you more interested in: sports, action, puzzler.

Bat

I think there are two types of portable (game boy) games....ones that are pick up and play and ones that require more time during stints. If you the former, get Mario Gold. Pick Metroid: ZM if you are looking for the latter.

Bowser

Umm, I like a lot of styles...I dunno. I did play Mario vs Donkey Kong a bit @ the Sam's Club this morning (the GCN demo disc had it on there, so I was like what the hey!). I got to play World 1-1 and World 1-2, and from what I played, I liked it a lot (that's why it's even being considered, didn't care about it before the demo). Also, I like pick up and play style games mostly, but sometimes I play lengthy games. But, like I said, I prefer pick up and play.

Kudie

Bowser said:
Umm, I like a lot of styles...I dunno. I did play Mario vs Donkey Kong a bit @ the Sam's Club this morning (the GCN demo disc had it on there, so I was like what the hey!). I got to play World 1-1 and World 1-2, and from what I played, I liked it a lot (that's why it's even being considered, didn't care about it before the demo). Also, I like pick up and play style games mostly, but sometimes I play lengthy games. But, like I said, I prefer pick up and play.

Yeah, I am currently playing Mario vs. Donkey Kong and the game is great. It has the perfect challenge and a really good mix of platfrom/puzzle in each level. The game also has good replay value, but the levels are a bit short, but SPOILERS

The game has 6 worlds with a plus-mode which gets unlocked after you beat the main game. The plus-mode changes up the levels a bit and adds more challenge.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong
A very enjoyable puzzler/platformer game that is reminiscent of the earlier "Donkey Kong 94" for the GB. You can consider it essentially an evolution of the Donkey Kong gameplay mechanic where you need to avoid objects while navigating a small enclosed area to reach a goal except now it's expanded upon with more complicated controls and an enhanced puzzle element. Unfortunately the game will only last as long as you want to however. In the outset it provides only 6 short worlds but the further you play you unlock another set of worlds (with a changeup in level design) and another set of much harder levels.

Mario Golf Advance
This is pretty much what you would expect it to be, a full blown Golf sim. The exception is of course the advertised RPG mode which does a decent job of stringing character development and the vast amount of course together in a cohesive package. If you enjoy Golf then this game is the best portable rendition available anywhere. This game can be unbeleivably long (if you play the RPG mode) or can be enjoyed in quick short bursts by simply playing the courses. Again the length depends on how you approach the title but you are atleast guaranteed tons of hours of gametime.

Metroid: Zero Mission
If you are familiar with the Super Metroid/Metroid Fusion games then this will be instantly familiar to you. It's essentially a remake of the original except the levels and situations have been changed around and the game itself has received a major facelift both graphically and in gameplay. While the game can be completed in about 6 hours there is replayability in the fact that you will most likely not find everything on your first playthrough and the game includes the original untampered version of Metroid.

Silkworm

I'll second John's suggestion of Fire Emblem :) Great game IMHO especially if you like tactical RPGs.

I'm still working my way through FE, on mission 26x. Stupid mission 26 had me stuck for a while since I had to deal with the leader being able to cast Bolting thus effectively killing one of my units if they happened to stumble too near and Jaffar (I think that's his name) would sometimes get killed before I could reach him. Oh well, only a few more missions left [though I wish I had realized earlier: 1) that my thieves could lift items off of enemy units since that would have given me some more items for leveling up more of my units; 2) that you could get Support levels increased by placing fighting units beside each other for several turns... bah, who needs those stupid little dialogues... I do *sniff* :-( ]

Fularu

Banned
Silkworm said:
I'll second John's suggestion of Fire Emblem :) Great game IMHO especially if you like tactical RPGs.

I'm still working my way through FE, on mission 26x. Stupid mission 26 had me stuck for a while since I had to deal with the leader being able to cast Bolting thus effectively killing one of my units if they happened to stumble too near and Jaffar (I think that's his name) would sometimes get killed before I could reach him. Oh well, only a few more missions left [though I wish I had realized earlier: 1) that my thieves could lift items off of enemy units since that would have given me some more items for leveling up more of my units; 2) that you could get Support levels increased by placing fighting units beside each other for several turns... bah, who needs those stupid little dialogues... I do *sniff* :-( ]

I'm replaying the game for the third time in a row because I missed Items in the previous runs and missed mission 22x (getting 700 PX AND saving Pent? that seems almost impossible)

Silkworm

Fularu said:
I'm replaying the game for the third time in a row because I missed Items in the previous runs and missed mission 22x (getting 700 PX AND saving Pent? that seems almost impossible)

Is that the desert level that along with Pent has that Berserk class character (can't recall his name)? I kept looking for some stupid treasure near one of the skeltons that you learn about after visiting one of the houses but I never found it *grrrrr*. BTW what is "700 PX"? Perhaps my brain is dead but I can't think of what that stands for :p :)

Fularu

Banned
Silkworm said:
Is that the desert level that along with Pent has that Berserk class character (can't recall his name)? I kept looking for some stupid treasure near one of the skeltons that you learn about after visiting one of the houses but I never found it *grrrrr*. BTW what is "700 PX"? Perhaps my brain is dead but I can't think of what that stands for :p :)
Yes it's that one.

There are 2 hidden treasures on that map, an Ocean's Seal (get it first with eliwood) and an ancient relic near the bones (go there and do a search with your dark mage (the scholar, forgot his name).

PX means XP :p

Bowser

I'm weary of getting Fire Emblem. I liked M&L: SS a lot, but I don't really like RPGs much. In fact, the only two "RPGs" I've liked are Paper Mario and M&L: SS :/

Not to take over your thread Bowser, but I have a similar question and it seemed redundant to make another. I'm deciding between Fire Emblem and Mario Golf. I loved Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but wasn't so big on Advance Wars (I actually really like it, but I'm not too good because I have trouble concentrating on all the units and bases and things to build and things to take over. Tactics had less things to concentrate on, but they were themselves more complicated.) Anyways, I loved Tiger Woods Golf, but wasn't big on Mario Golf for GC. I felt I could let the game do everything for me and I just pushed buttons as accuratley as possible when prompted. So which should I get?

ShyGuy

Mario Golf: Advance Tour.

I'm playing it and Mario Vs Donkey Kong at the same time, and I'm definitely voting for Mario Golf.

I find myself wanting to play it more than MvDK

Good luck choosing! :)

Oh, and I finished Zero Mission in 2 hours, so if it's longevity you want, don't go for Zero Mission. It's an EXCELLENT game, but Mario Golf has way more depth.

john tv

Wario64 said:
Hey John, you want me to finish that DCC? The download got cut off when you timed out
Ah my bad. Yeah, it did cut off, but I listened to the first half and decided it wasn't worth it, so that's why I didn't bother you about it again. Thanks for sending though. :)

Silkworm said:
Stupid mission 26 had me stuck for a while since I had to deal with the leader being able to cast Bolting thus effectively killing one of my units if they happened to stumble too near and Jaffar (I think that's his name) would sometimes get killed before I could reach him.
That's exactly where I'm at right now. I understand your frustration! I haven't beaten it yet, but next run through, I'm gonna just take Hawkeye (very strong and has high magic resistance) and bum rush that Bolting bitch straight from the start. Wish me luck!

Fularu said:
It's not impossible -- just bring in your lower level guys and take that level very slowly and strategically. You get more EXP at lower levels, so if you take your time and take out every enemy on the map (don't touch the bosses until the end), you should be fine. Also, try to get to Pent ASAP so he doesn't hog up all the kills (Ninian comes in handy for this).

Fularu said:
Yes it's that one.

There are 2 hidden treasures on that map, an Ocean's Seal (get it first with eliwood) and an ancient relic near the bones (go there and do a search with your dark mage (the scholar, forgot his name).

PX means XP :p
Actually if I remember correctly, there are six hidden treasures. Two on bones, two right next to bones, one down in the bottom-right corner and one in the lower middle area (I think it was seven spaces west of the house). Some REALLY good stuff in there! Bring thieves if you can -- their detect rate for hidden stuff is 100%. If you don't use thieves, you'll need to keep landing guys on those spots until one of them gets lucky and picks up the item.

Seriously, Fire Emblem is probably my favorite GBA game to date. I've easily logged over 60 hours on it so far, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I hope they bring out the others ASAP!

Top Bottom