• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's to U, Wii U

TrueBlue

The Wii U is home to some absolutely wonderful games, so I don't think it's relatively short lifespan has been all for naught.

Still, it would have been nice to see it flourish properly.

Manu

640.jpg

It was free for a while if you bought the fit meter, its actually a superb game and a great way to stay fit.

Lol. I have it because it was super cheap here. It's not a superb game for me, or a great way to stay fit.

It's just. so. slow. If the time between exercises was quicker, I would use it more.

Looking at the list of games in the OP speaks volumes about the system. HD remasters, re-releases of games from other systems, glorified expansion packs, a couple of weak sequels. The library as a whole is lacking. I do think it has some great games, and certainly has more great exclusives than the other home consoles this gen (so far). But when all is said and done? I'm not satisfied with the system.

Wagram

If you absolutely love the Nintendo first party then I can't see how one is disappointed. However, for the rest of us who are picky and don't care for everything they release. What a disappointment.

Definitely waiting till late cycle next time. Two burns is enough.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't understand how any gamer worth their salt can look at that lineup and say that it's a bad system. Third-party support was ass, but Nintendo was on fire.

Sober

Picked up a WiiU last month. Haven't had much time to pour into it but I'm pretty much aiming to get most of the games in the OP, plus catch up on some Wii titles I never got around to.

WiiU's offerings are definitely a great way to supplement PC gaming's catalogue as well.

flohen95

The Wii U brought me some fantastic moments. That started right with the launch - on launch day, I met up with some friends from school who came by in the afternoon (I had already installed the Day 1 update) to play on it, and NintendoLand was the most fun we had had playing videogames together up until that point, and even though university life brought us all to different parts of the country (and in one case even a different country alltogether), whenever we meet up, we make sure to play at least some NintendoLand.

I'm very happy with the system. I now own 54 games for it, and that's not even counting digital games. And there's still stuff coming that I look forward to: Paper Mario Colour Splash may not be the game that many people would want a new Paper Mario to be (and Paper Mario TTYD being my favourite game of all time, I'd prefer it taking more after that one as well), but I'm still eager to check it out. There's Mario & Sonic coming out soon, which will be fun, I'm just starting to dive into Star Fox Zero and Guard and then there's what I expect to become my personal highlight of the Wii U's library, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

The Wii U might not have struck a chord with the general audience, but it certainly did with me. Here's to the last year before the successor.

I'm not sure what the community is like now but Wii Sports Club is such a hidden gem, weird to say that about a remaster of one of the best selling games of all time. Online tennis is so good and the gamepad use in golf is pretty fun.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I buy Nintendo consoles for Metroid, Mario & Zelda. When two of your three biggest properties either fail to materialize or will be available day 1 on the successive hardware you've fucked up.

I have no love for the Wii U.

I buy Nintendo consoles for Metroid, Mario & Zelda. When two of your three biggest properties either fail to materialize or will be available day 1 on the successive hardware you've fucked up.

I don't disagree but they delivered in many other areas. Splatoon is as big as Metroid, Mario and Zelda to me now.

Velcro Fly

Lots of fun games.

I've purposely built up a backlog that I'm going to have fun with over the summer while I'm off work.

so, why are you on a "WiiU love thread"?

just wanted to rain on the parade?

Zebei

Some really amazing games on there but its sad to say about half don't interst me.

On the one hand you've got games that are on my "favorite of all time" like W101 and Pikmin, and on the other hand, 12 of those games are games I don't want and one wasn't able to live up to its potential

Hopefully NX will be able to capture some of that charm but increase it tenfold.

dat list it may be a flop but it got game....no regrets on buying it day 1 in the end, I just wish Nintendo gave it a better 2016 sendoff

wmlk

What? Why would the number of games matter? Isn't attach rate just total software sales divided by total hardware sales, i.e. Average games owned per console owner?

My bad. Attach rate doesn't really mean much by itself. I was talking about games that have a huge attach rate like MK8 and Splatoon. I think MK8 has like 50+% attach rate and Splatoon is insanely high too. I find it hard to believe there would be similar numbers on a different platform. I think it's a combination of releases being sparse + a receptive core audience.

TheMoon

While everyone was laughing at the thing, I amassed an incredible library of great games. I still stand by the assertion that the entire concept of the system is incredible and should have introduced a new standard since it made everything better but the world didn't agree (or know about ... or understand it). But here we are.

Can't wait for when people realize the insane amount of good stuff there is exclusive to this little rectangle with it's big ass controller that gives you (sometimes literally) a different view on games and genres you already knew and challenged you with new stuff to wrap your head around plenty of times, too.

People bought Wii Fit U?

lololol I kno fuccin casualz, amirite? ;)

I was an early adopter and I have 27 games for the system.

I would say the system was fair, the games were above average, and the game droughts were the stuff of legend. Thank God it wasn't the only console I owned. The controller was the very definition of wasted potential.

I'm still undecided if I'll be an early adopter for the NX. Nintendo has a lot of convincing to do.

harpingon

Neo Member
It was free for a while if you bought the fit meter, its actually a superb game and a great way to stay fit.

There's far too much chat from the stupid avatar thing in Wii Fit U.

I got the promo free, but I still use the board more with Wii Fit the U version.

MoonFrog

It's got its gems, and is the only console I've wanted this generation, but it's still a quiet console for me. When I think of my favorite games, Wii U titles are going to mostly slip my mind whether or not it's fair to how well they're crafted or how much I enjoyed them. Wii U needs a stellar Zelda, Metroid, and/or Fire Emblem for me.

As it is it'll go down as a console I really liked and after which I'm pretty confident I'll get an NX, but as a console that disappointed me and makes me wonder how much longer Nintendo and console gaming will have me (both on account of its sales and its games). A very sad thing to ponder.

Linkyn

In terms of exclusives, Nintendo systems have always been absolutely stellar, and the Wii U is no exception. Since I have multiple systems, and limited available time, the average software release rate actually works pretty well for me (I tend to buy less than 1-2 games a month on average outside of steam sales). I'm currently missing only a handful of titles in my Wii U library (LEGO City Undercover, Pokkén Tournament and Starfox for now, also planning on getting #FE, Zelda and probably Paper Mario when they come out). Oddly enough, the Wii U is my console with the second largest library (only topped by the Wii, for which I've been collecting a lot in recent years).

Holy shit, I have twenty-one of those games!

23 for me :p (Edit: I forgot I have a digital version of Wii Sports Club)

megalowho

It's definitely a unique system in the current landscape, no regrets owning one. Shades of Gamecube and Dreamcast for better or worse, two consoles I have real fondness for - a handful of truly excellent exclusives and neat ideas on a platform held back by quirky design decisions, extended lulls between notable releases, market trends favoring the competition and lack of third party support.

I'll remember it mostly for the best Mario Kart to date, two excellent Mario platformers (3D World and Mario Maker), GOTY contender/winner Bayonetta 2, and a fantastic new IP in Splatoon. It also was the console cycle where Nintendo began to establish relationships with indie developers, which should continue pay off down the road. Oh yeah, have a decent collection of Amiibos too. They got me there.

I was an early adopter and I have 27 games for the system.

I would say the system was fair, the games were above average, and the game droughts were the stuff of legend. Thank God it wasn't the only console I owned. The controller was the very definition of wasted potential.

I'm still undecided if I'll be an early adopter for the NX. Nintendo has a lot of convincing to do.

I am in the same boat with the NX. As long as it has some sort of normal controller I'll probably still buy it on day one. :)

Ranger X

I don't regret my WiiU at all. I have more Nintendo exclusives that are great in there than what I have on GameCube.

Mr. Patch

The amount of time I've spent on Splatoon is probably at least twice as long as whatever time I've spent on any single PS4 game.

Excitehype

Neo Member
o-CHEERS-LEONARDO-DICAPRIO-570.jpg

Although not having a huge amount of 3rd party support and power compared to other consoles may have contributed to it's downfall, I have to say it was one of Nintendo's best consoles when it comes to exclusives. It was basically the alternative to PS4 and X1 in terms of original content. I'm a bit sad its getting a lackluster send off though.

Nuu

Banned
When people have less things to buy, then whatever game comes out next will have a higher attach rate because that's all the system has.

This isn't the case for the Vita and wasn't the case for the Dreamcast.

Weetrick

I loved the Wii U. It had a great lineup of first parties, including a few "best-in-series" games (Mario Kart and Smash for me). I'm disappointed that it never took off, but I'm excited to see what's next.

Note: I also own a PC and PS4. If I was Wii U only for this generation, I would have been far less happy with it. I used my Wii U as a tertiary console, and it was great at being that.

CrisKre

Amazing Games, and Zelda, Paper Mario and Tokyo Mirage will be nice additions to that list. If Mother 3 VC pans out that would be a stellar sendoff too. I also think there may be 1 or 2 more games we don´t know about.

maxcriden

People bought Wii Fit U?

Very few as I understand it. Nintendo was running a promotion though where if you bought a $20 fit meter you'd get the game for free. For those of us who still had balance boards, that was an unbeatable deal. Wii Fit U doesn't offer the most intensive exercise program, bit for light to moderately intensive exercise with fun gamification it's the best version of Wii Fit for sure. I owe WF a lot since it helped me shed dozens of pounds so I'll always heartily recommend it. It also helped people me to exercising daily on an exercise bike, so I owe it that also.

Here's a post from the OT with a couple in-game pics I took:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=90835403

You can see we had a pretty good GAF community going for a while. I'll say for sure the scuba and waiter experiences are unlike anything else in gaming. Especially scuba. One of the most immersive gaming experiences I've had on any system.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Fredrik

It's amongst my favorite Nintendo systems ever because of Off Tv play.
This. And it's latency free too, more or less.

And the 1st party games are awesome.

Plus, it have backwards-compatibility with Virtual Console on Wii, which meant that I had about 100 games sfrom the golden years of videogaming.

User1608

Banned
Such a fun little console. Pales in comparison to the Wii but still great! Will always have fond memories of playing SM3DW and Smash 4 and WW HD...damn. Wish it did better.

Striek

This isn't the case for the Vita and wasn't the case for the Dreamcast.

Hmmm, I think you guys are arguing past each other a bit. The Wii U doesn't have a particularly high attach rate over all. Its 7:1, on the low end of home systems that have been out as long as it has.

Individual games on the Wii U have a very high attach rate, like MK at nearly .6(!).

Amazing Games, and Zelda, Paper Mario and Tokyo Mirage will be nice additions to that list. If Mother 3 VC pans out that would be a stellar sendoff too. I also think there may be 1 or 2 more games we don´t know about.

Oh man thats something I forgot. The Wii U virtual console has completely revitalised some classic games beyond just rom dumps. GBA Super Mario Bros 3 has the amazing e-reader levels, Mother 1 finally got localised, Duck Hunt got Wii remote support, Earthbound finally saw a release and its incredibly likely Mother 3 is getting a proper localisation. Virtual Console hasn't been perfect but releases like these make the whole service worth it.

Top Bottom