• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary: Trump embraces the alt-right, a fringe racist element. Enough is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanging Trump on the conservative party will not kill the conservative party. A conservative party will always exist because a good portion of our population holds conservatives values. Thinking otherwise is just a fantasy.

If Hilary wants to get something done during her presidency she will need Republicans to be less obstructionist than they have been under Obama. Trump has revealed fractures within the Republican party and its base that actually make this more likely - specifically that a good portion of the Republican base actually favors populist economic policies instead of free-market capitalism.

To co-opt or hold off future nativist populists, the Republican party is going to have to make some changes. This is where throwing Republicans a lifeline makes a lot of sense. People are more likely to work with you if you give them a way out of shitty situation instead of shit on their indentity and dignity.

And, in the end, that is what is important. Getting things done is more important than making yourself feel good by really laying into someone. Will it work? Who knows, but the benefits outweigh the alternative.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/clinton-paul-ryan-poverty-plan-227207

That article is a good indication of what a first step might look like in a Clinton presidency. Paul Ryan - basically an economic libertarian - is receptive towards a bill that fights poverty with money. He and the Republican party are receptive because they now realize that their base doesnt give two shits about economic libertarianism. They voted Republican because of conservative social values and white identity politics. That has them scared. Why make it harder to get things done by shitting on them?

Moreover, you are also shitting on people who identify themselves as Republican. Give them an out so they can tell themselves that the Republican party abandoned them. They didn't abandon the Republican party. If you say the Republican party was always shit, then that has a lot less of a chance of happening.

Also, Republicans didn't tank the economy.

This feels like bright eyed optimism to me. The Republicans aren't going to work with a President Hillary because any seats they lose in the House will strengthen the power of the freedom caucus and they will be salivating at the idea of obstructing Hillary so they can pull together another Republican wave in 2018 and take the Presidency from an unpopular incompetent in 2020. These are the same people still refusing to even give Garland hearings, expecting them to become interested in governing after these past 8 years because of some vague comments by Ryan is a bit much.

Though I think the idea that Hillary is throwing Republicans a life raft with this speech is a pretty strange interpretation. She's trying to appeal to Republican voters, not defend Republican politicians.

Gattsu25

Banned
That's what I'm getting it.

Said it before, but if the only difference is that the dog whistle is replaced with a bullhorn, then there's no meaningful difference.

I see it like dealing with racism in the Northeast compared to racism in the South.

While it's easy to see where people in the South really stand, the very fact that they are emboldened means that each incident is potentially more damaging or violent.

Red

That's what I'm getting it.

Said it before, but if the only difference is that the dog whistle is replaced with a bullhorn, then there's no meaningful difference.
Conservative policies tend to hurt minorities, but there is way more of a distinction between the right and the alt right than a dog whistle vs. a bullhorn. Clinton lays it out in her speech. McCain corrected voters who tried to disparage Obama on the basis of his skin color. Bush made an effort to show that Islam was not an enemy. That's why her message has resonance. That's why many conservatives have distanced themselves from Trump and even endorsed Clinton—because although their fiscal and social policies tend to privilege the privileged, they do not hold the same kind of ill will toward people of color as the alt-right does. They are not isolationists or white nationalists. Though it's still true that the Republican Party stoked the flames of white nationalism. The alt-right clearly has ties to the right, and U.S. conservatives, especially pundits and other figureheads, bear much responsibility for the current state of affairs.

I think it's important to recognize the difference between a political party that attracts some people with a racist ideology because of its policy, and one that predicates its policy on racist ideology.

The Republican Party has been walking uphill on loose ground for some time. Now it is giving way beneath their feet.

Not

Banned
This is a no-brainer so it proves 40% of the country have no brains

Or they're deliberately turning them off so they can uphold an established order where straight white men alone possess every single right and overwhelming power over every other class. Sometimes because "God said so, and His truth is unalterable."

Stupid, brainwashed, or evil. What a base.

What I meant was although she is
miles
better than Trump,she is still not a good presidential candidate,IN MY OPINION.
I just wanted to say that I agree with you 100% but we're in the wrong place to be neutral on this topic. These guys are so anti Trump that Hillary is a god to them at this point and can do no wrong. They'd vote for a Hotpocket over Trump, right about now and rightfully so. Trump is insane.

We're either with them or we're against them, is how I feel things are around here at the moment.

giphy.gif

I just wanted to say that I agree with you 100% but we're in the wrong place to be neutral on this topic. These guys are so anti Trump that Hillary is a god to them at this point and can do no wrong.

giphy.gif

Not

Banned
We're either with them or we're against them, is how I feel things are around here at the moment.

Nah dude. You can leave the U.S. anytime you want. Maybe build a rocket if you have the resources; I hear Europa is stunning this time of year.

platakul

Banned
People are more likely to work with you if you give them a way out of shitty situation instead of shit on their indentity and dignity.

This incredible reading of recent history is impossible to argue against

Piecake

This feels like bright eyed optimism to me. The Republicans aren't going to work with a President Hillary because any seats they lose in the House will strengthen the power of the freedom caucus and they will be salivating at the idea of obstructing Hillary so they can pull together another Republican wave in 2018 and take the Presidency from an unpopular incompetent in 2020.

Though I think the idea that Hillary is throwing Republicans a life raft with this speech is a pretty strange interpretation. She's trying to appeal to Republican voters, not defend Republican politicians.

I never said I was optimistic about it. It might or might not work, but my point is the chance of passing bi-partisan legislation increases if you don't trash the other party. Especially when the Republican party has a lot of motivation to change.

The Freedom Caucus are not in positions of power and will not be. The actual politicians with an ounce of political sense will realize that they need to make some changes to the Republican party because demographics do not favor Republicans nationally and they need to now fend off nativist populists in their own party to ensure that they don't elect another racist in 2020.

Like I said in my last paragraph that you quoted. I agree that she is appealing to republican voters. She is also not hurting her relationship with Republican congressman at the same time and giving them an out as well. There is no reason to shit on them as a whole when Trump is giving you so much ammo. Democratic candidates can shit on them individually in their own individual races, and Clinton can shit on them when they campaign together.

I never said I was optimistic about it. It might or might not work, but my point is the chance of passing bi-partisan legislation increases if you don't trash the other party. Especially when the Republican party has a lot of motivation to change.

The Freedom Caucus are not in positions of power and will not be. The actual politicians with an ounce of political sense will realize that they need to make some changes to the Republican party because demographics do not favor Republicans nationally and they need to now fend off nativist populists in their own party to ensure that they don't elect another racist in 2020.
Those "politicians with sense" have been the main drivers behind obstruction and there's little reason to believe that will change. Demographics are a problem at the Presidential level, but they were 4 years ago too and that meant nothing for how Congress acted. I don't really see how demographics is a pressing issue for Republican Congressmen, many of whom are in gerrymandered districts or are up for reelection in mid-terms where there is no demographic problem at all (or in states/districts where no such problem is forthcoming).
Like I said in my last paragraph that you quoted. I agree that she is appealing to republican voters. She is also not hurting her relationship with Republican congressman at the same time and giving them an out as well. There is no reason to shit on them as a whole when Trump is giving you so much ammo. Democratic candidates can shit on them individually in their own individual races, and Clinton can shit on them when they campaign together.
Yeah, I wasn't really directing that part at you. I agree here.

I just wanted to say that I agree with you 100% but we're in the wrong place to be neutral on this topic. These guys are so anti Trump that Hillary is a god to them at this point and can do no wrong. They'd vote for a Hotpocket over Trump, right about now and rightfully so. Trump is insane.

you CAN be neutral, just don't spout bullshit like "they're both the same" and not having anything to back it up besides "FOX NEWS TELLS ME SHE'S A LYING CROOK"

look I'm shitting on Hillary right now; she flip flopped on gay marriage/TPP/illegal immigration/Super PACS/Iraqi War, her bullshit crime bills passed in the 90's were used to target and damage many minority groups, she cites Robert Byrd (a 'reformed' klansman) as a friend and mentor and that Quid Pro Quo thing with the Clinton Foundation had her fire a worker with no qualifications

boom there, and I have the proof to back it up

Hillary's not a god to me, but she's the second best candidate in the running while the best one dropped out last month. So stop spreading lies and get your facts straight.

rjinaz

This post was just yesterday. Are you not against Trump?

This is so entertaining, I love it. You guys are all scared and threatened by what he says but I cherish these times. We'll probably never see this much crazy from someone running for president again in our lifetime.

I say this only because I have a fair amount of confidence we'll all be looking back on this in a year and laughing at how insane he was and wondering what he's been up to since he lost the election.

I'm just doing it early, I guess.

Dalibor68

Banned
Nah dude. You can leave the U.S. anytime you want. Maybe build a rocket if you have the resources; I hear Europa is stunning this time of year.
"Vote for who I want or leave the country."

And people don't even see the irony?

As others said, in the end you will need cooperation.

Piecake

This incredible reading of recent history is impossible to argue against

More likely doesnt mean they will nor does it mean that the chances are good. It simply means that they are more likely. The Republican party had, or thought they had, a lot of motivation to obstruct Obama due to their primary voters.

Now, the Republican party has to worry about nativist populism, unfavorable demographics, and the incursion of freedom caucus reps that they loath. Those factors can produce a change that could result in the legislation that I quoted and positive immigration reform among others. Will they change? Who knows, but if they don't there is plenty of time to shit on them as a collective whole when you're president and they are obstructing you.

Why shit on them when shitting on them doesnt gain you anything? Trump is giving you plenty ammo, and democratic candidates can shit on republican candidates in their own elections with the help of Clinton if they campaign together.

I'd be interested to see your argument about how the Republican party caused the financial crisis as well.

Piecake

Those "politicians with sense" have been the main drivers behind obstruction and there's little reason to believe that will change. Demographics are a problem at the Presidential level, but they were 4 years ago too and that meant nothing for how Congress acted. I don't really see how demographics is a pressing issue for Republican Congressmen, many of whom are in gerrymandered districts or are up for reelection in mid-terms where there is no demographic problem at all (or in states/districts where no such problem is forthcoming).

Yeah, I wasn't really directing that part at you. I agree here.

And like I said, there are factors that can change this equation - namely the threat of populist candidates and demographics. The treat of demographics is national, and I would argue that at least Republican leadership and establishment Republicans care.

The threat of populism is within the party though. The Republican party now needs to worry about primary challengers who spout anti-elite nativist populism. This is a real threat because the only people who vote in these primaries are the hardcore republican base. Passing some populist legislation that actually helps out your constituency now could be seen as a positive instead of a negative that has been previously thought.

Moreover, the Republican establishment has a ton of motivation to pass primary reform to curb freedom caucus members and nativist populists from becoming a serious faction within the Republican party and pushing out the social conservative free-market global capitalists.

Motivations and self-interest do change.

Hillary better than Obama?I don't think so,man.

If we could do it all over, it might have been a better idea for Hillary to win in 08.

I think she would have been better at using her political capitol in the first two years when we had the house and senate, and pushed through legislation that had better political payout

Nerrel

Against my better judgment I had to read that article on Breitbart getting rejected and humiliated by white supremacists:
Those who embrace the hatred and bigotry of the alt right don’t do it, as Milo et al contend, “because it seems fresh, daring and funny.” According to Anglin, they go the racist way
"because they’re sick of being genocided by k---s."
Really. White supremacists are sick of being genocided by the jews?
raw

These people are the lowest scum there is. The best part is that they at least know that they're losing and that their kind is going extinct.

And like I said, there are factors that can change this equation - namely the threat of populist candidates and demographics. The treat of demographics is national, and I would argue that at least Republican leadership and establishment Republicans care.

The threat of populism is within the party though. The Republican party now needs to worry about primary challengers who spout anti-elite nativist populism. This is a real threat because the only people who vote in these primaries are the hardcore republican base. Passing some populist legislation that actually helps out your constituency now could be seen as a positive instead of a negative that has been previously thought.

Moreover, the Republican establishment has a ton of motivation to pass primary reform to curb freedom caucus members and nativist populists from becoming a serious faction within the Republican party and pushing out the social conservative free-market global capitalists.

Motivations and self-interest do change.

How much of that populist threat is real though? Establishment Republicans have breezed through the primaries this year despite the rise of Trump. He's seemingly had no impact on primaries. Trump supporters don't seem to have the same level of local organization as the Tea Party. In terms of 2020, I don't think Congress acts in mind with future primaries, structural changes to the primary system by the RNC will be where you see a response.

Supast4r

This is why these elections make no sense to us outside of the US. It makes no sense that Trump has gotten so far, it makes no sense that Clinton could lose this, it makes no sense that people who aren't blatantly racist actually ask themselves who they should vote for, it makes no sense that some people call Trump the "lesser evil".

All of this makes no sense.
Trump has 2 percent of the black vote. You need us to win elections these days.

Dalibor68

Banned
Against my better judgment I had to read that article on Breitbart getting rejected and humiliated by white supremacists:

Really. White supremacists are sick of being genocided by the jews?
raw

These people are the lowest scum there is. The best part is that they at least know that they're losing and that their kind is going extinct.
So within one post you (rightfully) make fun of the white genocide fantasy and in the next paragraph you call them(the people believing said conspiracy theories) scum and take pleasure in their upcoming extinction? How do you press Post without seeing the irony.

This post was just yesterday. Are you not against Trump?

I am against Trump but I personally don't think Hillary is the greatest like most people here seem to. I understand the desperation and need to clutch so hard in one direction though. I just don't think it's necessary.

you CAN be neutral, just don't spout bullshit like "they're both the same" and not having anything to back it up besides "FOX NEWS TELLS ME SHE'S A LYING CROOK"

look I'm shitting on Hillary right now; she flip flopped on gay marriage/TPP/illegal immigration/Super PACS/Iraqi War, her bullshit crime bills passed in the 90's were used to target and damage many minority groups, she cites Robert Byrd (a 'reformed' klansman) as a friend and mentor and that Quid Pro Quo thing with the Clinton Foundation had her fire a worker with no qualifications

boom there, and I have the proof to back it up

Hillary's not a god to me, but she's the second best candidate in the running while the best one dropped out last month. So stop spreading lies and get your facts straight.
I feel the same. I mentioned the gay marriage and crime bill in another post about a month ago and nobody argued against it. We crapped out this time when it comes to candidates but at least we have a better option than Trump.

Supast4r

I never realised Trump was such a Birther proponent.

Here's my origin story:

Trump is *such* a racist that, only when faced with a black president, he decides "well if so, surely me moreso, let's have at it."
Google the Central Park five or Trump tower red lining to see just how much of a fucking racist Trump is.

Piecake

How much of that populist threat is real though? Establishment Republicans have breezed through the primaries this year despite the rise of Trump. He's seemingly had no impact on primaries.

Trump won the primary because he is a nativist populist so it has to be a threat. I honestly don't know how many people ran as a nativist populist in this primary season except the dude who was challenging Paul Ryan. Wisconsin though is not a pro-trump state. They supported Cruz overwhelmingly in the primary so nativist populism seems like it has less appeal there.

I think we will see in two years whether or not it is a threat, but I think Paul Ryan being supportive of a spending bill to help the poor is a pretty good indication that the party thinks its a threat. The party establishment being supportive of a spending bill was not even a remote possibility before Trump.

Going back to the economy bit-I don't think it's fair to blame either side for the 2008 collapse. I do think it's pretty fair to put some blame the GOP for how bad the recovery has been. There's a lot of points where GOP intransigence has been a pretty rough drag on actual GDP.

I am against Trump but I personally don't think Hillary is the greatest like most people here seem to. I understand the desperation and need to clutch so hard in one direction though. I just don't think it's necessary.

ok fine Hillary isn't the greatest thank you for showing me the light spazchicken, I will proceed to dismantle the Hillary shrine I made in my living room

But did you agree on the points from Hillary's speech that shows Trump's campaign is built from hatred and xenophobia?

Trump won the primary because he is a nativist populist so it has to be a threat.
That's not necessarily true. Primarying a Republican incompetent requires some sort of local organization, something Trump's ilk have shown no evidence of having unlike the Tea Party. High profile Presidential primaries are not the same thing as primaries for local races, though even this year Trump supporters have been voting for establishment Republicans in primaries.
I think we will see in two years whether or not it is a threat, but I think Paul Ryan being supportive of a spending bill to help the poor is a pretty good indication that the party thinks its a threat. The party establishment being supportive of a spending bill was not even a remote possibility before Trump.
The future will be telling, but right now I'm not sure that vague indications about a bill that is only theoretical and not going to get a vote anytime soon if ever really says that much. Republicans will have reason to obstruct any bill coming to the floor in the first 2 years of Hillary's Presidency knowing that they will dominate Congress again after 2018 which has an impossible map for the Democrats to defend.

rjinaz

I feel the same. I mentioned the gay marriage and crime bill in another post about a month ago and nobody argued against it. We crapped out this time when it comes to candidates but at least we have a better option than Trump.

Ok thanks. I just remembered that post from yesterday and I was confused.

Look, there are obviously huge fans of Hillary on neogaf, that cannot be denied. But, I think most of us Hillary supporters, like myself and it seems like you as well, recognize Hillary as the perfect choice WHEN the only other choice is Trump. And let's be honest, Trump does make Hillary seem like the greatest when compared to himself.

I know there are people that would like others to focus more on the problems with Hillary Clinton now. That time will come. But right now this whole country has a problem and his name his Donald Trump. It kind of is what it is, though it may not be ideal. It will be dealt with first.

ok fine Hillary isn't the greatest thank you for showing me the light spazchicken, I will proceed to dismantle the Hillary shrine I made in my living room

But did you agree on the points from Hillary's speech that shows Trump's campaign is built from hatred and xenophobia?

Yeah she was absolutely right.

Seik

Banned
Feels weird to hear such a reuniting speech that makes so much sense after all the shit we heard in the last weeks. :lol

That was great.

So within one post you (rightfully) make fun of the white genocide fantasy and in the next paragraph you call them(the people believing said conspiracy theories) scum and take pleasure in their upcoming extinction? How do you press Post without seeing the irony.

Their use of extinct was clearly not in the literal sense. They don't mean "someone is going to kill all of the racists," they mean "the racists' views will become less and less mainstream until said racists can no longer express those views without being completely ostracized from society."

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but there's nothing hypocritical (or ironic) about it.

Future

I love it when people call out how fucking disgusting it is who trump surrounds himself with, who he retweets and indirectly supports. The type of rhetoric he allows to spew in his rallies. The shit that goes on there is the underbelly of humanity, yet he allows it to appear front and center of his campaign. How every media organization in existence doesn't denounce this shit is amazing to me. Why give this shit the time of day.

people will look back on this and literally not believe it. How did the person leading the birther movement against a vetted politician who became president actually gain a following. How did this person defeat all other nominees. How did people debate his points on live television. What the hell were people thinking

It's like the Republican Party realizes it has little chance in gaining ground in a country that is turning more brown and multi cultural, so no need to hide behind anything anymore. Just come right out with your bigotry while trump smiles and thanks them for their vote

Opto

Banned
there's a difference between a genocide and a dangerously bigoted mindset fading into obscurity

Not

Banned
Well, shit. I wasn't trying to say, in an extreme manner, that people have no options but to vote for Hillary. Of course you have options. Everything you do is up to you. If you feel increasingly pressured into doing something you find uncomfortable, or feel like you need a "safe space" to feel great about not casting a vote against Trump, you don't have to leave the country. You can just dig deep underground and found a subterranean unincorporated society where federal law would be inconvenient to enforce.

I think, just maybe, he's taking pleasure in the extinction of an idea: White Supremacy. Not an actual genocide of the white race.

Not sure how you missed that.

I voted enthusiastically for Obama, both times, but even a year ago I'd never have imagined that that I'd be this eager to vote for Clinton.

Of course, I'd also never have imagined that the Republicans would nominate someone this vile (or this profoundly, proudly unqualified). I want to repudiate Trump in the harshest possible terms. I want to see his "brand" in tatters, and to see him live out the rest of his days knowing that he was a loser on the national stage. Beyond that, I want to see the Republicans overhaul their primary process to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again... and my vote, drop in the ocean though it may be, can help to create that future.

Toxi

Banned
Nerrel's not literally suggesting that white supremacists are getting killed.

Also, scum is a very appropriate word for these people.

Dalibor68

Banned
I think, just maybe, he's taking pleasure in the extinction of an idea: White Supremacy. Not an actual genocide of the white race.

Not sure how you missed that.
He literally said "they are the lowest scum, their kind will go extinct". Of course he wasn't talking about killing (I hope) but it's just kind of ironic to first (rightfully) make fun of their white genocide fantasy(which probably consists of the usual jews control everything stuff and not a genocide in the "classic" sense and where all white people think like them) and then in the next sentence say how its the best thing they(as in white bigoted people) will go extinct.

Not

Banned
He literally said "they are the lowest scum, their kind will go extinct". Of course he wasn't talking about killing (I hope) but it's just kind of ironic to first (rightfully) make fun of their white genocide fantasy(which probably consists of the usual jews control everything stuff and not a genocide in the "classic" sense and where all white people think like them) and then in the next sentence say how its the best thing they(as in white bigoted people) will go extinct.

Might be useful to gradually phase out parentheses from your overall writing technique

Only in your weird worldview.

Supast4r

If you were were a minority/women/LGBT member you would too.

This is not a thread about how people are mean to Nazis. By making the conversation about anything other than Trump's career-long hatred and racism, you give it cover. This is "standing for it".

Dalibor68

Banned
This is not a thread about how people are mean to Nazis.
And I'm not sure how thats what you got from my post either, as I'm not defending anyone. Maybe I'm just weird or in the minority here but it does seem ironic to me to adress Trumps racism and extreme right connections and in the same post use language of "the lowest scum ... their kind will go extinct" himself.

Cyan

Banned

"White genocide" is a conspiracy theory promulgated by white supremacists, which argues that western governments are deliberately enacting policies that spur immigration, increase integration, and encourage or enforce intermarriage, all in order to dilute and eventually wipe out the white population.

The guy saying "their kind will go extinct" is referring to the common but sadly not as true as we'd like concept that bigots are disproportionately old and that over time their ideas will die out as they do. We need look no further than the groups Hillary discusses in her speech here to see that this is by no means a universal law.

And I'm not sure how thats what you got from my post either, as I'm not defending anyone. Maybe I'm just weird or in the minority here but it does seem ironic to me to adress Trumps racism and extreme right connections and in the same post use language of "the lowest scum ... their kind will go extinct" himself.

White supremacists are in fact scum and the world will be a better place without that ideology...

Again only in your weird worldview is that a bad thing to say.

This is by for the most bizarre both sides argument I've ever seen, so congrats on that.

Nerrel

The kind of melodramatic genocide they're talking about is pretty much the ideological extinction I was talking about. No real irony there, I'm directly confirming that their paranoid ramblings are actually real in at least one sense. They are losing ground with each generation and becoming increasingly marginalized. You seem to have thought that I was missing the irony by confirming their claim in my post while at the same time mocking it, but I'm not confirming it as they believe it. The ironic part to me is that they feel like they're the victims, blame Jewish people for a massive conspiracy against them (because being hate filled assholes isn't a good enough reason to fall out of popularity) and- like a bunch of precious, pants-pissing crybabies- that they even have the gall to use the term "genocide" to describe it, as if they don't even have an awareness that people like themselves committed a real genocide on Jewish people not that long ago and that it was a completely incomparable thing that what's happening to them now (or are they the types that don't even believe that it really happened?)

Of course he wasn't talking about killing (I hope)

Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom