• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy PC Performance Thread

GHG

I have to wait until friday unfortunately...

golden retriever dog GIF

So close.

Peterthumpa

I didn't. I am using 3080.
It is doubled fake frames with artifacts + added input latency.
It is all measured and factual. I don't have any doubts it feels fine and you can't see artifacts but we are talking performance comparisons here. Real fps and not this
"Fake frames" - this term is used randomly by people who never actually tried FG in practice. It doesn't make sense at all.
It's all software, it's not like you're "buying shady frames" from your obscure "local FPS retailer".

If the perception is of increased smoothness and if the latency increase is negligible (as confirmed by many people who use the feature in its latest version), does it matter? Serious question. It's like saying that DLSS is "fake resolution" and thus, shouldn't be used.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You can deluxe now for 55usd or standard for 46ish.

I read some of the critiques in specs, can't help that. It's to document issues and share to see if folks with similar HW have issues. I've been ok both ends of the spectrum and wished I had better HW and now I do.

The school is definitely the most intensive part so far a couple hours in.

GymWolf

The most annoying thing is that voidu doesn't let me cancel my preorder for whatever reason so i'm stuck with the purchase even if the key was not released yet.

Not even sure if they can legally do that but i have no option to ask for a refund.

Last edited:

ChazGW7

The most annoying thing is that voidu doesn't let me cancel my preorder for whatever reason so i'm stuck with the purchase even if the key was not released yet.

Not even sure if they can legally do that but i have no option to ask for a refund.
Have you received the full key? If so, thats probably why. They'd be concerned on issuing the refund then the key being redeemed after the fact. Which makes sense tbh.

If you haven't received the key? Then they really should give you a refund.

Reactions: GHG

LiquidMetal14

I agree the vram usage is high. With the settings I was running I saw a little over 19gb usage in afterburner.

I've been really just trying to enjoy the game but I may have to sit here in the next couple of days and look at some diagnostics and gpus as well.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"Fake frames" - this term is used randomly by people who never actually tried FG in practice. It doesn't make sense at all.
It's all software, it's not like you're "buying shady frames" from your obscure "local FPS retailer".

If the perception is of increased smoothness and if the latency increase is negligible (as confirmed by many people who use the feature in its latest version), does it matter? Serious question. It's like saying that DLSS is "fake resolution" and thus, shouldn't be used.
I know perfectly well how it works. I've watched df video. It's not some black magic.
These are generated aditional frames based on previous and FUTURE frame. It adds input latency. It has to.
And introduces artifacts These are all facts.

Comparing it do DLSS is completely nonsensical. It should not be called dlss 3. It's inferring new frames and DLSS2 is just temporal AA

LiquidMetal14

I know perfectly well how it works. I've watched df video. It's not some black magic.
These are generated aditional frames based on previous and FUTURE frame. It adds input latency. It has to.

Comparing it do DLSS is completely nonsensical. It should not be called dlss 3. It's inferring new frames and DLSS2 is just temporal AA
As someone who has used it in several games, consider the latency penalty not noticeable. I would specifically report that just because it's important to tell the truth to others with similar hardware. That's why we have these discussion groups in order to see what we have and what impact that has on our performance including what drivers were using but that doesn't seem to be an issue as much as little engine issues that it has.

And this is with recognizing the studio doesn't exactly make these kind of AAA games all the time and they've done a pretty damn good job considering that fact.

DLSS 3, if you want to be technical it's at a different number version if you look at the dll files. But frame generation all together is optional. As others have said even in digital foundry during their weekly show, it has gotten better especially since the preview days before the consumer had their hands on the release software.

If a plague tale innocence, cyberpunk, the witcher, and this game are any indicators then we are in for a treat and this is early in this type of technology and we are only going to get more iterative when it comes to these techniques in order to gain more out of our hardware.

Fake frames or whatever terminology people want to use to joke or whatever their motive is, there is those of us who genuinely want to know how it impacts our games or just to see the progression of a new technology. This is all pretty damn exciting and hasn't been this exciting since the early days of polygon graphics. Sorry for the long rant.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
As someone who has used it in several games, consider the latency penalty not noticeable. I would specifically report that just because it's important to tell the truth to others with similar hardware. That's why we have these discussion groups in order to see what we have and what impact that has on our performance including what drivers were using but that doesn't seem to be an issue as much as little engine issues that it has.

And this is with recognizing the studio doesn't exactly make these kind of AAA games all the time and they've done a pretty damn good job considering that fact.

DLSS 3, if you want to be technical it's at a different number version if you look at the dll files. But frame generation all together is optional. As others have said even in digital foundry during their weekly show, it has gotten better especially since the preview days before the consumer had their hands on the release software.

If a plague tale innocence, cyberpunk, the witcher, and this game are any indicators then we are in for a treat and this is early in this type of technology and we are only going to get more iterative when it comes to these techniques in order to gain more out of our hardware.

Fake frames or whatever terminology people want to use to joke or whatever their motive is, there is those of us who genuinely want to know how it impacts our games or just to see the progression of a new technology. This is all pretty damn exciting and hasn't been this exciting since the early days of polygon graphics. Sorry for the long rant.

Hopefully Stalker 2 and Starfield have DLSS 3. I'm certain both games will utilize raytraced lighting so we are going to need it.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If you've got your hardware then just get it set up correctly, try it and form your own opinion.

Too many jealous cunts chatting shit about it when they don't know what they're talking about.
Is it the same as when some pc gamers were screaming how perfect dlss was when a few people said there were issues and native was still better …
but then dlss2 came out showing how horrible artifact dlss actually was?

😂🤣

LiquidMetal14

Is it the same as when some pc gamers were screaming how perfect dlss was when a few people said there were issues and native was still better …
but then dlss2 came out showing how horrible artifact dlss actually was?

😂🤣
Like anything else, I agree that the first generation is oftentimes not the most refined. I'm glad we are where we are now though.
By "few" people do you mean the majority? DLSS 1 was widely reviled by the PC community.
I agree and although there was some benefits clearly it wasn't ready for prime time and more of in a beta state compared to what the second version and beyond has done. So much so that hopefully one day we will be able to do some of our own injecting and implementation of older games. I realize it requires a little more teaching to let the AI do its thing but as fast as these things are advancing I think that possibility isn't out of the question.

GymWolf

Have you received the full key? If so, thats probably why. They'd be concerned on issuing the refund then the key being redeemed after the fact. Which makes sense tbh.

If you haven't received the key? Then they really should give you a refund.
No key, they are gonna show the key on release date.

But i bought hogwarts as a part of a 2 games order and i already used the key of one game (evil west), but if they didn't send the key for hogwarts i should be able to ask a refund yeah.

Buggy Loop

But since all DLSS 3 games add reflex, it has less system latency than even native 🤷‍♂️

The artifacts are being worked on. I’m pretty sure it’s imminent, hell, that 3.1 version might be it. They made a video for wither 3 and cyberpunk 2077, main artifacts on UI and so on are gone.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But since all DLSS 3 games add reflex, it has less system latency than even native 🤷‍♂️

The artifacts are being worked on. I’m pretty sure it’s imminent, hell, that 3.1 version might be it. They made a video for wither 3 and cyberpunk 2077, main artifacts on UI and so on are gone.
Reflex got it's own issues but nevermind. Enjoy the feature.
I can't test it since it's not available on 3080... I feel kinda cheated ugh

Peterthumpa

DLSS is not just temporal AA, that's TAA. DLSS uses ML to output higher resolution frames from a lower resolution input, by using motion data and feedback from prior frames to reconstruct native quality images.

As for DLSS 3 (or frame generation since you don't like Nvidia's naming convention, and to be honest neither do I), I'm glad you know how it works. It seems, though, that you'll only believe that the latency impact is imperceptible by trying it out, so give it a go when you can then (especially the most recent versions).

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
DLSS is not just temporal AA, that's TAA. DLSS uses ML to output higher resolution frames from a lower resolution input, by using motion data and feedback from prior frames to reconstruct native quality images.

As for DLSS 3 (or frame generation since you don't like Nvidia's naming convention, and to be honest neither do I), I'm glad you know how it works. It seems, though, that you'll only believe that the latency impact is imperceptible by trying it out, so give it a go when you can then (especially the most recent versions).
I will be happy to try it for sure if I get 40 cards in the future

Dreathlock

Im sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.
Yesterday i tried FG on/off several times and i could not tell any difference in input lag.
And there are no "artifacts" or anything. It just feels like your fps is boosted by 40% without any negative consequences.
Incredible technology.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Im sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.
Yesterday i tried FG on/off several times and i could not tell any difference in input lag.
And there are no "artifacts" or anything. It just feels like your fps is boosted by 40% without any negative consequences.
Incredible technology.
It’s a fact that it adds latency. But just like wireless controllers adding latency over wired a lot of people won’t notice. They will just wonder why they suck so bad at super Mario bros on switch now compared to the past.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s a fact that it adds latency. But just like wireless controllers adding latency over wired a lot of people won’t notice. They will just wonder why they suck so bad at super Mario bros on switch now compared to the past.
Isn't wireless mouse faster than wired in some cases ? :p

Aja

Neo Member
So played a few hours now on my system which consits of a RTX 3080 (10gb), Ryzen 3800x, 32gb 3200mhz ram, nvme ssd. It runs very.....inconsistent is my verdict. Some scene can be smooth like butter and next time I'm at the same spot and a npc is there it can tank like crazy. I can't really find any pattern in the inconsistancy. It seems that something is just tanking my hardware sometimes and sometimes not even if I'm in and around the same place in the game.
Had some AWFUL sequenses aswell. Like after the sorting hat *shivers*.

I'm playing on a 65" oled at 4k with DLSS set to balanced and some settings on high but most on ultra. No RTX ofcourse. The benchmark put all of my settings on ultra. I've also updated the DLSS software to the latest verson. Fells like that did nothing though.

All in all for me it's playable but I would not be surprised if another person whent "Eeeh, fuck this shit" cause it IS porly optimized. There's no way this inconsitancy should occur. I hope a nvidi driver and some patching will get it better!

my pc specs:

9900K - probably about 4.7-4.9GHz
CPU cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4
32GB RAM - 3200
RTX 4080 - undervolted but basically same performance as stock
2TB SSD - PCIE 3.0
Windows 11 Pro - latest version
Latest Nvidia driver - hurry up and release a new driver for the game!
1440p 144hz G sync monitor - frame capped at 141fps in nvidia control panel with Vsync enabled globally.

The game automatically set all settings to Ultra. I enabled RTX but it said I needed to restart but I kept playing so it's OFF. I set DLSS to Quality or Balanced (I can't remember). Frame Generation is ON.

Only played up to where you go to charms/defense against the dark arts class so only about an hour or so. Here is what MSI Afterburner recorded which is a mix of cutscenes/gameplay:

uzfjGa6.jpg

CPU temp: max was 61C but was mostly sitting about 40-50C. It was closer to 40C during the tutorial scene. Once I got to Hogwarts it was nearer 50C.
CPU usage: roughly 15-20% in the tutorial area but at Hogwarts it was higher
RAM: maxed at 17.2GB but saw it as low as 13.5GB
GPU temp: max 47C but went as low as 37C
GPU usage: max usage 87% but seemed to be setting around 50% most of the time
VRAM: max 11.6GB but lowest i seen was 8GB.
FPS: pretty much solid. with 141fps cap and DLSS3 enabled the game was mostly capped at 138fps due to low latency mode which DLSS3 requires. I saw the game drop to about 80-100fps at one point but it quickly jumped back up. I can't remember what point that happened.

I'm very impressed with how the game is running. I know I do have the 2nd best gaming GPU so yeah I should expect top performance but despite some minor stutters the game I'm happy. The stutters are noticeable but they definitely won't bother me. I can deal with them. I'm playing with an Xbox controller and it feels smooth/responsive. I haven't tried playing with a keyboard which would make any stuttering/lag more noticeable/annoying. When I play the game later it will be with RTX on so I'll see how performance is then but the game looks amazing as it is so unless RTX is significantly better looking (hard to imagine) then I'll be more than happy to turn RTX off.

Captn

Hopefully nvidia inspector updates with the game with the incoming new drivers so we can enable resize bar on the game's profile. Might bump the frames up like many other games.

I'm glad no one is complaining about shader comp stutter. The public lambasting of Calisto Protocol had a positive effect.
I’ve not seen any shader comp stutter. That’s almost certainly down to them being compiled before you get to the first menu. The compilation took about 30 seconds on the first time I booted the game, but now it’s more like 10 on subsequent launches.

I’ve not seen any shader comp stutter. That’s almost certainly down to them being compiled before you get to the first menu. The compilation took about 30 seconds on the first time I booted the game, but now it’s more like 10 on subsequent launches.
Only stuttering I get seems to be after/before a cutscene, a loading screen (the first time you fast travel), and when entering a new area. I was running the game with MSI Afterburner overlay and looking out for frame drops. Once I'm playing and focusing on the game I won't give a shit because I'm having too much damn fun.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There are some wireless mice which are as fast as or even faster than wired mice like my Razer Viper Ultimate
It’s not the same as an nes controller directly attached to the board. 😵‍💫

Even just the usb port has an inherent latency.

Bluetooth controllers have a lot of inherit latency.

Peterthumpa

Hopefully nvidia inspector updates with the game with the incoming new drivers so we can enable resize bar on the game's profile. Might bump the frames up like many other games.
Can’t you just create a bespoke profile for it? Or just use any other game profile you don’t have installed and add the .exe to the profile, then enable the ReBar bits.

b0uncyfr0

Hmm, my 0.1% lows are not good (1080p, low, 6600xt). I am running a 3770k though
:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Also VSR resolutions don't show up - wtf .

Hmm, my 0.1% lows are not good (1080p, low, 6600xt). I am running a 3770k though
:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Also VSR resolutions don't show up - wtf .
you have a 3770K and a 6600XT? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

lol you're bottlenecked as fuck dude. there is 9+ years gap between the release of your CPU and your GPU. also, if you're on a 3770K then you are still on DDR3 ram.

You need to upgrade your CPU/RAM/motherboard to make the most of your 6600XT.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Mmmmh, played 4 hours yersteday without any crash in native.
Activated DLSS3 and frame genaration and now it's crashing after 5 minutes.

And the game has some massive memory leaks

image.png

Top Bottom