• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy PC Performance Thread

Tams

That he loves the Harry Potter world and cannot wait to put the final touches on his tech review. Then he got harassed by some people and had to delete it.
Also, the site Digital Foundry post their write-ups on is a blue-haired freak show.*

*though mostly only the English language version

rofif

Banned
Game is clearly buggy but, I found this interesting

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/

performance-rt-3840-2160.png

Motherfucking Intel A770 managed to find its way between a 3090 and 3080 in ray tracing ! Lol vastly surpassing a 7900XTX 😳

While rasterization it falls back to normal under a 3070

performance-3840-2160.png

Intel’s got good tech for RT
15 fps on 3080?! This is real?
Crazy. I know it’s without dlss but still

winjer

Man i hope for them

It’s a console port for one, with RT effects on RDNA 2.. so why the hell does it suck so much on AMD, there’s only so much optimization you can do with DXR, it’s not like dx11 days where Nvidia / AMD would literally bypass developer bugs with drivers. Intel is not really known for their drivers as of now, especially not at launch game.

So weird

Low level APIs put much more power and responsibility on the devs. And much less on the driver team.
That's why Intel was able to get so good performance out of the gate with DX12 and Vulkan games, but much worse performance from DX11 and prior APIs.

In the case of AMD, it could a few things. Maybe this game has a more complex BVH to traverse and sort. And since AMD doesn't have accelerated hardware to do this, performance goes down.
Or maybe during the graphics execution pipeline, the game is trying to use the TMU and Ray Accelerators at the same stage.

I still don't understand what AMD was trying to do with RDNA3.
With RDNA2, they were already on par with NVidia in rasterization, so there was no need to change much, if anything with their compute units, ROPs, etc. But they were behind in the RT and Tensor cores.
So the logical thing to do would be to put all the effort into developing new RT and Tensor cores, and leave the CUs alone. But they did the opposite.
Worse yet, they created a super complicated dual issue CU structure that is not working in games. So we have a 61 TFLOP GPU, that works like a 30 TFLOPs.
Have you noticed that the 6950XT has 23 TFLOPs. This is a 30% diference to the 7900XTX, in single issue mode. Basically, the performance diference we see in games between both cards.

winjer

AMDware unboxed at it again:

44lx9Nf.jpg

YouTube is such a cesspit. What will it take to get a couple of PC gaming performance channels that aren't agenda driven drivel?

Stop with your conspiracy theories. HU tested with several presets and resolutions.
What you probably want is the 4K RT results. And HU did these as well.

YzkNon0.png

GHG

Stop with your conspiracy theories. HU tested with several presets and resolutions.
What you probably want is the 4K RT results. And HU did these as well.

YzkNon0.png

I can see that, but seriously why are they using a 7700x when doing a GPU benchmark?

If you're going to do an honest GPU benchmark then it's your duty to remove any potential CPU bottlenecks to the best of your ability.

They clearly haven't done that, so the question is why?

Last edited:
Whats your trick to smooth it out? I cant go back down to 30fps after anything 80+
No trick really, there's still some stutters, but going from 30 to 27 fps isn't as jarring as going from 80 to 27 and then bouncing around between those values until it stabilises.
I remove the cap in smaller areas though, like the jackdaw cave mission.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is the post. I watched some videos like Daniel Owens one and it basically confirms everything you are saying. Makes me think these other dudes are on one.
I’m playing in 1440 and I don’t have any frame rate issues. So I would suggest just lower the res a bit until it ri solid 🤷‍♂️

44lx9Nf.jpg

AFUu1oo.jpg

YouTube is such a cesspit. What will it take to get a couple of PC gaming performance channels that aren't agenda driven drivel?
the game runs really well on my 7900xt. Like I don’t have many of the issues or frame rate problems you guys are talking about at 1440. I do have the new area loading stutters though. Some games run better on amd. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

winjer

I can see that, but seriously why are they using a 7700x when doing a GPU benchmark?

If you're going to do an honest GPU benchmark then it's your duty to remove any potential CPU bottlenecks to the best of your ability.

It's one of the fastest CPUs around, 5% slower than a 13900K.
Seems like you are just trying to make excuses.

Average_1080p-p.webp

GHG

It's one of the fastest CPUs around, 5% slower than a 13900K.
Seems like you are just trying to make excuses.

Average_1080p-p.webp

Nope, they literally said "in CPU bottlenecked scenarios AMD GPU's tend to outperform" or words to that effect. So it was purposefully engineered. This is not a serious outlet:

dI6ZNlR.jpg

I'm having really bad pop in in the ground textures of the open world part...

I remember someone saying its an RT bug, did you compare with on vs off? My brain started ignoring popin lately after playing so many japanese games. Wait until u see Nioh 2's popping. I swear, devs must be fucking blind.

GymWolf

I remember someone saying its an RT bug, did you compare with on vs off? My brain started ignoring popin lately after playing so many japanese games. Wait until u see Nioh 2's popping. I swear, devs must be fucking blind.
I'm about to try no rtx at all and see how it goes.

Or is it a particular rtx setting like AO or shadows? (or reflections)

Last edited:

GymWolf

That's the most useful thing anyone can do because it tends to be universal and gives everyone an idea of what the penalty is for each setting, but nobody seems to do it anymore.
Nvidia used to do this stuff, super detailed analysis of every setting with screens, performances etc.

yamaci17

Could be ray tracing, yeah. Disable it altogether. I played 30 hrs no ray tracing at 1440p, textures really look fine most of the time. I really did not notice popins. Just got my first broom and flew around too. I expected disaster on 16 gb ram but for some weird reason it ran fine. No apparent streaming stutter. I think Hogsmeade is the outlier.

winjer

Nope, they literally said "in CPU bottlenecked scenarios AMD GPU's tend to outperform" or words to that effect. So it was purposefully engineered. This is not a serious outlet:

dI6ZNlR.jpg

And they are right, because in CPU bound scenarios, the frontend on AMD GPUs has a lower overhead than the NVidia frontend.
It has been this way, pretty much since Kepler, as NVidia simplified the frontend on Fermi, to make it use less power and less die space. But it also means it has to offload more driver work into the CPU.
But since no one uses ultra high end GPUs at 1080p, it doesn't really matter.

It was shadows or ao. I dont remember exactly or maybe I am remembering it wrong but i know for a fact that RTAO causes a lot of texture issues.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Could be ray tracing, yeah. Disable it altogether. I played 30 hrs no ray tracing at 1440p, textures really look fine most of the time. I really did not notice popins. Just got my first broom and flew around too. I expected disaster on 16 gb ram but for some weird reason it ran fine. No apparent streaming stutter. I think Hogsmeade is the outlier.
It looks a bit flat inside the school without rtx but it could be a placebo effect, i usually don't care about rtx.

It looks a bit flat inside the school without rtx but it could be a placebo effect, i usually don't care about rtx.

I wouldnt worry about RTAO and RT shadows. They are broken and kinda useless without RTGI. These devs have no idea how RT works and they just quickly slapped that shit at the end 100%. Games art was designed without RT in mind. You can keep reflections up tho cuz they screwed SSR as well.

MMaRsu

Banned
Such a shame they arent doing graphics comparisons/optimizations anymore. Im too lazy to do it myself and I always used to watch that shit.
Why dont they do it anymore? I used their RDR2 Optimization video a lot for getting the perfect setting and knowing which setting impacts fps the most.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah, it's a massacre for these GPUs with lower vram capacity.

aVHXwgb.png
Not sure why anyone with a 3070 would think RT+Ultra settings would be good, I can think of many games where ultra is not what you want, performance wise vs graphic increase. Rt is also broken so I dunno seems kinda useless to me.

The only thing that bothers me are the mirrors, when old ass games 10 years ago had working mirrors.

Great video. I'm an Nvidia owner but I've always found his coverage of both AMD and Nvidia to be very fair. Dude tested 53 video cards, that's crazy.

It looks like my 3090 should be fine for this game with DLSS enabled, it's hitting consistently 30 fps without any upscaling and RT enabled.

I feel sorry for the people with 3070 and 3080, it looks like the era of 8 GB and 10 GB VRAM being not enough has arrived. Oh wait, that's me. My gaming laptop has a 3070 so I would be forced to play with RT off on it when I'm not at my desktop playing on my 3090.

rofif

Banned
Seeing how close 4070ti is to 3080 is crazy.
4k ultra, 4070ti is 58fps and 3080(10gb) is 50fps.

4070ti is almost twice the msrp that 3080fe was here. nvidia are lunatics. The only good thing about this 4070ti is 12gb of vram but it's only good because 3080fe first releases were artificially gimped with only 10gb of vram. 12gb is still shit for the price of 4070ti. Seriously fuck nvidia is smoking

MMaRsu

Banned
Great video. I'm an Nvidia owner but I've always found his coverage of both AMD and Nvidia to be very fair. Dude tested 53 video cards, that's crazy.

It looks like my 3090 should be fine for this game with DLSS enabled, it's hitting consistently 30 fps without any upscaling and RT enabled.

I feel sorry for the people with 3070 and 3080, it looks like the era of 8 GB and 10 GB VRAM being not enough has arrived. Oh wait, that's me. My gaming laptop has a 3070 so I would be forced to play with RT off on it when I'm not at my desktop playing on my 3090.
Raytracing isnt worth the performance hit in most games actually.

winjer

Not sure why anyone with a 3070 would think RT+Ultra settings would be good, I can think of many games where ultra is not what you want, performance wise vs graphic increase. Rt is also broken so I dunno seems kinda useless to me.

Yes, Ultra settings are not worth it. With most games, it's possible to lower several effects, with little loss in image quality, but big gains in performance.
A real shame there aren't more channels doing optimized settings for games, as these are very useful.

The only thing that bothers me are the mirrors, when old ass games 10 years ago had working mirrors.

But those were hacks, usually just copying the room and player model, and inverting them in the other side of the mirror.

zkorejo

So not a peep from devs yet? Do we even know if there will be a day 1 patch?

I knew getting it on a PC was a mistake. Impulse bought it on steam.. should have gone PS5.

When it works fine.. those few minutes when it's playable.. it's absolutely mind-blowing how good the game is. Just watched some PS5 fidelity videos and I'm slapping myself for getting the PC version. Never again.

rofif

Banned

I knew getting it on a PC was a mistake. Impulse bought it on steam.. should have gone PS5.

When it works fine.. those few minutes when it's playable.. it's absolutely mind-blowing how good the game is. Just watched some PS5 fidelity videos and I'm slapping myself for getting the PC version. Never again.
day1 was on wednesday. So...
And yes... that's why I switched new AAA releases to ps5 as well.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I'm not sure why some of these outlets go with that scenario but it is understandable to an extent when I guess a lot of their market is in the mid-range when it comes to these things. What you do want to see the hardware as unhinged as possible in order to get the best result. Clearly they're using their goal post measurements and in raster AMD has been strong for a minute. It's when more effects and certain things get tossed in there on top of maybe the game is just more optimized to run on one platform versus the other given that the consoles share AMD CPUs I'm not surprised if there's a slight slant on one side just due to that. That's not some conspiracy theories comment I am just talking from somebody that observes the numbers and would just guesstimate that it may lean one way due to that shared component.

I'm not sure about a patch but there is definitely some tweaks that have been posted that have been quite useful. I've been busy with stuff outside of work and most of my contribution is on the goal right now but as soon as I can settle down on my PC I will try to edit some of those fixes into the original post.

The community has been pretty valuable when it comes to this game as it is pretty tweakable and with some of the other fixes posted it shows that people have a high interest in trying to tweak the performance because we simply can on pc. And given the developer isn't really used to having this much attention I think they did a good job and there is some things that need to be tightened up performance wise and hopefully they will improve on the shader compilation or whatever else to make the game a little bit smoother given some of the hardware that a lot of us have out there.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I want to play the game at 120fps for my Black Frame Insertion to work, so 30fps fidelity PS5 was never an option. But the amount of PC releases with stutters are truly infuriating.

winjer

If you use setting similar to the console settings, you'll probably get much better performance on PC. Depending what what machine you have.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I got both pc and console versions. Anything above performance mode on console is imo unplayable. The frame rate is all over the place.
Lowering pc settings and/or resolution produces a much better looking/smoother experience than consoles using anything but performance mode.

zkorejo

I'm not sure why some of these outlets go with that scenario but it is understandable to an extent when I guess a lot of their market is in the mid-range when it comes to these things. What you do want to see the hardware as unhinged as possible in order to get the best result. Clearly they're using their goal post measurements and in raster AMD has been strong for a minute. It's when more effects and certain things get tossed in there on top of maybe the game is just more optimized to run on one platform versus the other given that the consoles share AMD CPUs I'm not surprised if there's a slight slant on one side just due to that. That's not some conspiracy theories comment I am just talking from somebody that observes the numbers and would just guesstimate that it may lean one way due to that shared component.

I'm not sure about a patch but there is definitely some tweaks that have been posted that have been quite useful. I've been busy with stuff outside of work and most of my contribution is on the goal right now but as soon as I can settle down on my PC I will try to edit some of those fixes into the original post.

The community has been pretty valuable when it comes to this game as it is pretty tweakable and with some of the other fixes posted it shows that people have a high interest in trying to tweak the performance because we simply can on pc. And given the developer isn't really used to having this much attention I think they did a good job and there is some things that need to be tightened up performance wise and hopefully they will improve on the shader compilation or whatever else to make the game a little bit smoother given some of the hardware that a lot of us have out there.
PC community is A+. Modding is like a whole new world. But I even said it a few times prior to release that I wasn't sure if I should go pc for day 1 buy. I tried all the fixes.

It's better but it's not completely smooth. Like I'm more than okay with 50-60 fps but the gameplay isn't smooth. PS5 videos on yt seem more fluid and buttery smooth at 30fps.. mine is stuttering. Cutscenes are a curse to go through. Everytime I go to a new area it's like 10-20 seconds of slideshow.

I changed dlss file to latest, changed vsync on in Nvidia settings and off in game, on+boost, high quality with some things on medium like population quality and clouds and fog.

Also did the turning off (something) protection settings and changed to FSR 2 but it's not smooth. I didn't restart PC though.. maybe I can try that later.

zkorejo

If you use setting similar to the console settings, you'll probably get much better performance on PC. Depending what what machine you have.
That's what I thought. I am getting 50-60 with occasional drops but the gameplay isn't smooth. It's stuttering. I don't know how to express it. It's 60fps is not as smooth as GOW on PS5 at 40 fps. I can see PC videos on yt where it's super smooth. But those are 3080 to/4090s.

winjer

That's what I thought. I am getting 50-60 with occasional drops but the gameplay isn't smooth. It's stuttering. I don't know how to express it. It's 60fps is not as smooth as GOW on PS5 at 40 fps. I can see PC videos on yt where it's super smooth. But those are 3080 to/4090s.

Did you try disabling Control Flow Guard, disabling Fullscreen Optimizations and setting DPI scaling to Application?

zkorejo

Did you try disabling Control Flow Guard, disabling Fullscreen Optimizations and setting DPI scaling to Application?
I tried disabling CFG but I realized now I didn't restart the PC. Just restarted the game.

I haven't tried dpi scaling, how do I do that is there any link?

winjer

I tried disabling CFG but I realized now I didn't restart the PC. Just restarted the game.

I haven't tried dpi scaling, how do I do that is there any link?

First thing, you have to select the correct exe for the game. UE4 creates 2 exe.
I already explained how to do all these tweaks a few pages back.

ChazGW7

Holy tinfoil hat batman. I'm pretty sure if they had an AMD agenda they would go with a category more alluring than fucking 1080p Ultra + RT lmao.
PC community is A+. Modding is like a whole new world. But I even said it a few times prior to release that I wasn't sure if I should go pc for day 1 buy. I tried all the fixes.

It's better but it's not completely smooth. Like I'm more than okay with 50-60 fps but the gameplay isn't smooth. PS5 videos on yt seem more fluid and buttery smooth at 30fps.. mine is stuttering. Cutscenes are a curse to go through. Everytime I go to a new area it's like 10-20 seconds of slideshow.

I changed dlss file to latest, changed vsync on in Nvidia settings and off in game, on+boost, high quality with some things on medium like population quality and clouds and fog.

Also did the turning off (something) protection settings and changed to FSR 2 but it's not smooth. I didn't restart PC though.. maybe I can try that later.
Playing with a controller? Turn off the camera acceleration settings in the options if you haven't already and max the camera sensitivity.
I'm also playing on a 3080 (with a 5800X3D), and done all the above as you. That + capping the FPS to 75 and I would say the game is 95% playable now. and I have everything on High except Materials/Textures/Foliage and NPC Density are Ultra.

Edit: I may has misread and you are not on a 3080, my bad! I still recommend those sens settings though.

0009fdc55f1217d8173ccd535373ede2.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom