• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West coming soon to PC

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I’m going to have to watch some FW reviews now. Hopefully it’s not as boring as the first game.

If you didn't like the first game, you're going to hate the second one. Story and characters are absolutely terrible. C tier fan fiction kind of stuff.

Amazing visuals, that's why you'd like to play it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Most PC players would be able to play this at least FPS, less pixels, and more lag then the PS5 would. Not to mention that a tiny, tiny portion of PC gamers use 21:9 or better and the mods for this game would basically amount to nude skins and shitty reshades. By your criteria the vast majority of PC gamers would play an even more handicapped version of this game.

Sure, if you have a 3080 or better you are getting that better experience, but that amounts to 10% of PC gamers. So by your logic, most of PC gaming is handicapped which is obviously silly.
All facts. But I am not most PC players. My RTX 3080 12GB, 21:9 screen and mouse+kb are ready. \o/

I don't understand why people are into these games, they seem contrived, boring and with a faux pas art direction. But I might be the one in the wrong here, who knows..
Pew pew giant bullets arrows on robots now not handicapped because dual stick controller with high lag can be fun, like in the first game.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oh My God Wow GIF

Aces High

Because some of us gamers actually like great games!
Forbidden West is not a great game, though.

It's not even a good game in my opinion.

It's plain boring and Aloy is one of the most unlikeable characters ever.

I will never understand how they managed to make a video game with robo dinosaurs so goddamn boring. That's quiet the achievement...

Lay off the crack. GTA6 shits on Cyberpunk.
Stop being a fanboy even DF pointed out GTA6 in many ways looks like Cyberpunk RT at launch and in some ways worse and that's not even bringing up Path Traced Cyberpunk which you know GTA6 won't be because the consoles would it run at 3fps.

Its all hardware and software man, it is what it is.

Senua

It's not even a good game in my opinion.

It's plain boring and Aloy is one of the most unlikeable characters ever.

I will never understand how they managed to make a video game with robo dinosaurs so goddamn boring. That's quiet the achievement...
They based their game around a Ubisoft inspired open world, that's how.

Senua

Multiple games on the base engine have already been ported to PC and Nixxes is familiar with the process from having done Horizon 1. Horizon was also a success on PC, having sold near or over 3mil copies by now. The priorities make sense.
This should be more successful as it won't be a fucking disaster at launch like HZD was

mckmas8808

It's not even a good game in my opin

It's plain boring a
nd Aloy is one of the most unlikeable characters ever.

MV4G1j4.jpg

Hero_Select

I bought zero dawn but had the exact same experience - it was just so boring. No plans to get Forbidden West.
I played Forbidden West for about 10 hours and had enough. After BotW and TotK I kind of lost interest in other open-world games. Starfield was kind of the same.

They're both good games and but.. eh.

mckmas8808

Wow you sure got him! He should change his opinion after seeing that I reckon

You didn't read the thread. The convo started off with this poster's statement.

I don't understand why people are into these games, they seem contrived, boring and with a faux pas art direction. But I might be the one in the wrong here, who knows..

People in here talking as if liking or loving HFW is odd. It's the mainstream reaction most people have had of the game.

Ev1L AuRoN

The gameplay loop is good, gorgeous and have great atmosphere, the Aloy character is an insufferable Mary Sue. If you look past that, the game itself is fun.

Aces High

Ah yes they must have paid for user scores too and all those game sales as well. Come on, nobody is asking you to change your own opinion of the game but at least face the reality that a lot of others do like it.
That's a pretty stupid argument given the fact that the majority of users in this thread voice harsh criticism towards the game.

So why don't you guys face reality that a lot of people don't like it?

We're not talking about a talented game studio creating amazing interactive experiences for you to enjoy. That's just marketing talk to manipulate the idiots. We're talking about an international multi-billion dollar corporation selling an entertainment product for 70 bucks.

Corporations are not your friends. And this product sucks.

mckmas8808

That's a pretty stupid argument given the fact that the majority of users in this thread voice harsh criticism towards the game.

So why don't you guys face reality that a lot of people don't like it?

We're not talking about a talented game studio creating amazing interactive experiences for you to enjoy. That's just marketing talk to manipulate the idiots. We're talking about an international multi-billion dollar corporation selling an entertainment product for 70 bucks.

Corporations are not your friends. And this product sucks.

Yo dude, you need therapy. It's okay for you to not like a game that the majority likes or loves. It's not a reflection on you that you didn't like it. It's just not for "YOU".

Aces High

Yo dude, you need therapy. It's okay for you to not like a game that the majority likes or loves. It's not a reflection on you that you didn't like it. It's just not for "YOU".
"The game is just not for you"

Wrong. It's exactly my kind of game.

Third-person action adventures are my favorite genre. That's why I bought both Zero Dawn and Forbidden West in the first place. If the game wasn't for me, I would not waste a single second talking about it.

I'm the target audience of this game and I say it sucks. It's a boring experience and a huge downgrade compared to the first Horizon game in almost every aspect. And so do many other users in this thread. Read the thread from the very beginning and you'll quickly notice that the majority of users does not like Forbidden West. It has amazing graphics but that's it.

You go to an online video game forum. You enter a thread about a Forbidden West. You start to attack other users personally because they have a different opinion on this game than you do.

It's okay if you like or love a game that the majority here doesn't like. No need to send other users to therapy until everyone has the same opinion as you. Nothing good ever came out of echo chambers.

Sleepwalker

How do you all handle these late PC releases?
Already bought it on PS5, enjoyed it but stopped playing when Elden Ring released and never got around to start it again.
Now they’re going to get me to buy it again if it’s updated on PC. Sigh
I simply buy them on PS and play them, then ignore the PC version a year later.

mckmas8808

"The game is just not for you"

Wrong. It's exactly my kind of game.

Third-person action adventures are my favorite genre. That's why I bought both Zero Dawn and Forbidden West in the first place. If the game wasn't for me, I would not waste a single second talking about it.

I'm the target audience of this game and I say it sucks. It's a boring experience and a huge downgrade compared to the first Horizon game in almost every aspect. And so do many other users in this thread. Read the thread from the very beginning and you'll quickly notice that the majority of users does not like Forbidden West. It has amazing graphics but that's it.

You go to an online video game forum. You enter a thread about a Forbidden West. You start to attack other users personally because they have a different opinion on this game than you do.

It's okay if you like or love a game that the majority here doesn't like. No need to send other users to therapy until everyone has the same opinion as you. Nothing good ever came out of echo chambers.
I'm not attacking you for your opinion. I'm here to tell you that YOUR opinion is of the minority. Few people feel like you overall. You need to be reminded of that.

Next thing you'll tell us is that Neymar was never a good futbol player.

Fredrik

I simply buy them on PS and play them, then ignore the PC version a year later.
Then it feels like I’m missing out on the best version. Unless it’s broken, which is another problem I could talk about.
And then there is the PS+ delay too which can mess with my satisfaction for buying early. Bought Forbidden West day 1, stopped playing it when Elden Ring released, was patched so I waited some more and then forgot about it and never returned, and now it’s up on PS+, and soon there is an assumed better PC version. It feels like I lose however I do it.

Sleepwalker

Then it feels like I’m missing out on the best version. Unless it’s broken, which is another problem I could talk about.
And then there is the PS+ delay too which can mess with my satisfaction for buying early. Bought Forbidden West day 1, stopped playing it when Elden Ring released, was patched so I waited some more and then forgot about it and never returned, and now it’s up on PS+, and soon there is an assumed better PC version. It feels like I lose however I do it.

My PC is pretty good (4080/7800X3D) but I'm too impatient to care about waiting for a PC release of an exclusive, if I want to play it asap I'll play it on console. Usually they dont look significantly worse to my eyes, so unless performance is terrible I won't really care.

Aces High

I'm not attacking you for your opinion. I'm here to tell you that YOUR opinion is of the minority. Few people feel like you overall. You need to be reminded of that.

Next thing you'll tell us is that Neymar was never a good futbol player.
Dude you literally said I need therapy because you didn't like what I said about the game. So stop lying.

And in this thread, my opinion is not in the minority. This is a fact. Your favorite billion dollar corporation fucked up. Don't worry, they will make enough cash even when you don't defend them.

Paying for reviews excuse lol.
I'm not working in the video game industry, but in my job, paying for reviews (professional and customer) is daily business. Welcome to the real world.

Fredrik

My PC is pretty good (4080/7800X3D) but I'm too impatient to care about waiting for a PC release of an exclusive, if I want to play it asap I'll play it on console. Usually they dont look significantly worse to my eyes, so unless performance is terrible I won't really care.
30fps goes away for me, and my TV can’t handle 40fps, so when I want the quality mode experience I’d rather play on PC. Plus, I get mods, which sometimes is extremely appealing.
Oh well. It is what it is. It’s just frustrating.

Sleepwalker

30fps goes away for me, and my TV can’t handle 40fps, so when I want the quality mode experience I’d rather play on PC. Plus, I get mods, which sometimes is extremely appealing.
Oh well. It is what it is. It’s just frustrating.

Its such a small subset of games that there's no point worrying about it. If you're adamant maybe just get rid of the PS5 so you're forced to play the best version, whenever it may come. I guess.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm not working in the video game industry, but in my job, paying for reviews (professional and customer) is daily business. Welcome to the real world.
You can't prove sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc. are paid to give the game a high score.

The fact that some of their games don't always receive high praise goes against your argument. If they paid for reviews, then Sony would have never blacklisted any review sites.

Aces High

You can't prove sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc. are paid to give the game a high score.

The fact that some of their games don't always receive high praise goes against your argument. If they paid for reviews, then Sony would have never blacklisted any review sites.
What's next?

Will you tell me Santa Clause is real?

Come one, we're living through late stage capitalism. Everything goes.

Fredrik

Its such a small subset of games that there's no point worrying about it. If you're adamant maybe just get rid of the PS5 so you're forced to play the best version, whenever it may come. I guess.
Maybe if Sony would shorten the delays and standardize the release schedule and release everything on PC like 6 months later. But as it is it’ll just be the frustrating GTA6 scenario for more games when I don’t have a clue when or if something will arrive.

Aces High

From the looks of it, your proof is just as fake as Santa Claus.
When RDR2 came out it had like 3.something stars on Amazon. A guy on Reddit said everyone should take a look at those reviews because R* bought reviews directly from Amazon and they will go online within the next days. 2 days later the game had 4.9 stars with thousands of reviews.

Stop being so naive.

mckmas8808

Dude you literally said I need therapy because you didn't like what I said about the game. So stop lying.

And in this thread, my opinion is not in the minority. This is a fact. Your favorite billion dollar corporation fucked up. Don't worry, they will make enough cash even when you don't defend them.

I did say that because you said....

"So why don't you guys face reality that a lot of people don't like it?"

You seem to dismiss my proof to you that most people liked or loved the game and that was your response. You for reasons that make no sense seem to think it matters more than review scores and game sales. This thread has less than 200 posts man. You don't need to go to therapy because you didn't like the game. You seem hell bent on trying to convince people that the game is bad, even though the majority disagree with you.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
When RDR2 came out it had like 3.something stars on Amazon. A guy on Reddit said everyone should take a look at those reviews because R* bought reviews directly from Amazon and they will go online within the next days. 2 days later the game had 4.9 stars with thousands of reviews.

Stop being so naive.
We're not talking about ones on Amazon where random people can review it. We're talking about the ones that are posted on MC/Opencritic

Aces High

We're not talking about ones on Amazon where random people can review it. We're talking about the ones that are posted on MC/Opencritic
Yeah, I don't trust them.

There's a way too big discrepancy between review scores and my perceived quality of games. Most 90+ games don't deserve that score.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

There's a way too big discrepancy between review scores and my perceived quality of games. Most 90+ games don't deserve that score.
Still no proof.

Can't prove the claim so I guess thats all there is so it.

Zathalus

That's not really evidence of reviewers being bought off. Just that your tastes are likely just different from the majority. Which is fine.

I didn't think FF16 was worth the 87 it got, but I can acknowledge and respect that others thought so.

Some think Starfield is a 9/10, others think it's a 6/10, both are valid. Critic scores reflect that as well.

Sanepar

If u tolerate 30 fps. Fine

King Dazzar

A lot of people did constructively critique the game due to its standard open world busy work. On my first playthrough I had some issues around the blurry 60fps mode. And I also didn't like the way some world activities were locked behind story progression tools. However, when I did a New Game + playthrough. The games performance mode had been dramatically improved and all the story progression unlocks were already available. I ended up loving it enough to platinum it. And I still have the Burning Shores DLC to look forward to too.

Great game. But if you've just finished an open world game, you may find it fatiguing.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

What's next?

Will you tell me Santa Clause is real?

Come one, we're living through late stage capitalism. Everything goes.

So why don't Ms ubisoft etc do this if they artificially inflate review scores we would hardly have 8 and below just look the avatar game massive budget game from ubisoft so spent 50÷ million and forget pay reviewers this time did they. Or what Gotham kinghts or recent call of duty. Funny how gaff can predict what games going bomb when all these reviews are paid for.

Last edited:

Aces High

So why don't Ms ubisoft etc do this if they artificially inflate review scores we would hardly have 8 and below just look the avatar game massive budget game from ubisoft so spent 50÷ million and forget pay reviewers this time did they. Or what Gotham kinghts or recent call of duty. Funny how gaff can predict what games going bomb when all these reviews are paid for.
Starfield has 83 metacritic score. 11 Starfield reviews on metacritic are perfect 100/100.

Steam user rating for Starfield is at 68 (overall) and 54 (recent) with over 80,000 reviews.

That's a pretty huge discrepancy between professional video game reviewers and target audience if you ask me.

Top Bottom