• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn for PC confirms poor ports will run poorly on PC

Okay @ the Mod Genius - can i have my Title back plz?
Cause NXGamer pretty much confirmed me here in his new Video about the HZD Port.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
iam for example play on my PC HZD hours since its release without a single crash! But then again i never touched anything in my PC in regards of Overclocking and the likes..

and about the topic : Where we get now all this crow servings? We need a truckload of it..

Last edited:
what you are talking about he does nowhere say that it is a bad port ..
nice try - the video stands - i was indeed correct. Crouch back under your stone ..

to everyone else - 19:10 is the timestamp mr Potato here above me is talking about 🎯

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Two cases:

1: you're arguing that PS4 runs the game better than a PC with a similar hardware configuration as the console, in which case it's a no-brainer and you didn't need to write a wall of text for it. PCs are less specialized machines and a PC with a similar hardware configuration as a PS4 would be considered a piece of junk nowadays for gaming.

2: you're arguing that consoles have an edge over PC in general, in which case this is a terrible take. This is simply a very badly optimized port and Death Stranding, running on the same engine, proves you wrong.

Yup exactly my thought with #2 because Death Stranding is absolutely amazing on PC. Really sucks with HZD but it doesn't represent all PS4 ports.

Bryank75

Banned
Yup exactly my thought with #2 because Death Stranding is absolutely amazing on PC. Really sucks with HZD but it doesn't represent all PS4 ports.
Did people buy Death Stranding on PC? I loved the game and was a little heartbroken that so many people were hating on it when it first released. At least if more people saw how good it actually was, there would be a bright side.....

VFXVeteran

Banned
You do. GPU cannot write to system RAM.
To sync with GPU you need to periodically check a port write on a VMEM-mapped port and then initiate a DMA copy of VRAM->RAM.
Both of these are pretty costly operations.
On PS4 you don't need to do anything other than checking the port, and port is locally-mapped too, so you can actually sync implicitly by knowing the GPU state (if you always put commands in command buffer "manually", which is impossible on PC too, at all)

If the information is already on the GPU, I need it to render. What circumstance would I need to always ready from the GPU VRAM back into the CPU RAM? Give me something that every game HAS to do that? And why does this advantage on console hardware not materialize into faster throughput for better FPS or higher resolution?

what you are talking about he does nowhere say that it is a bad port ..
nice try - the video stands - i was indeed correct. Crouch back under your stone ..

to everyone else - 19:10 is the timestamp mr Potato here above me is talking about 🎯
Trigger man is triggered 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

NX even said the engine could have been rewritten for the PC port, but that would take resources. AKA, shitty port. Many things could have been fixed, and it could have been ported by GG themselves, but they didn't...AKA shitty port.

The icing on the cake is you got little mad when the mods rightfully changed the misleading title of your thread, to a more fitting title. You threw your fit, and nothing got changed. You went the extra mile to try and redeem the little bit of pride you had left, and posted a video you thought would be in your favor. That's when you got BIG mad. And here we are. It's still a poor port, and doesn't coincide with the same engine running phenomenal on PC, in Death Stranding. But of course you wouldn't acknowledge that. Fanboys gonna fanboy. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

P.S. I'm all for a mature discussion, minus crawling back under my stone, or being a potato head. Cause that's not possible, as potatoes don't have hands and feet.

CCkSNem.jpg

Rikkori

Interesting that there are people with no major complaints while other have stopped playing due to the frame-rate and frequent crashes.

The game is "OK" as far as performance goes, it's just disappointing but not broken. Same for extra settings over console versions. You're not really gonna be wow'ed by anything they've added because they haven't really added much. The crashes... who knows. Sadly it has some issues where it can certainly degrade your experience if you don't know the settings & what they do, as well as some quirks (like with wonky frame limiter & vsync).

Clearly not a good look for Sony & Guerrilla but they're probably fine with the sales anyway. In the future I imagine they'll already have accounted for porting to PC so we won't see such a mess again.

VFXVeteran

Banned
iam for example play on my PC HZD hours since its release without a single crash! But then again i never touched anything in my PC in regards of Overclocking and the likes..

and about the topic : Where we get now all this crow servings? We need a truckload of it..

LOL! NXGamer says what I've been getting trolled for for months!

He quotes: @ 19:20 "and certainly for what the team directly what they are working on with Forbidden West. And this is probably an idea of what could come to PS5 next year maybe in a brand new release - a new release with 60FPS and other enhancements to get close to the PC version....

Last edited:

nochance

Banned
As already mentioned a dozen times over, this is a very bad example to use as a reference point. With the current state of apis we largely see parity spec for spec between performance of games on PC and console.
It is unfortunate, as it most likely means that next-gen will be performing worse than a PC system from 2017 with a 1080ti.

Guilty_AI

Did people buy Death Stranding on PC? I loved the game and was a little heartbroken that so many people were hating on it when it first released. At least if more people saw how good it actually was, there would be a bright side.....
Apparently it sold over 700.000 copies on Steam alone in the first week. No idea how that compares with ps4 sales.
Game is also at 93% "Very positive" reviews.

EDIT: Making some estimations, its probably close to 900.000 copies now. Pretty good considering it hasn't even gone on sale yet

Last edited:

geordiemp

Dude, come on. That's not because of low level access to the PS4 hardware. It's an algorithm they implemented in the game that can easily be ported. There isn't any special AMD code or secret bandwidth to be untapped. You know better than that man.

Really ? If GPU is doing the CPU work from GPU registers and fed by a common RAM, think about the latency.

Then tell me how PC does that with split RAM and moving data between RAM, VRAM CPOU and GPU .....I can see where it would be not as efficient easily. It makes logical sense.

Of course, they could of rewritten the engine to do that specific work on more powerful (than Jaguar) PC CPU maybe would of been better for a PC architecture, but thats a different story and we dont know the specific details. Maybe they are, I dont know.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Did anyone see that they put out another patch earlier today?

Fixes a ton of shit for GPU, resolution issues.

And another one is expected in first week of September that starts addressing performance.

So it was a shitty launch but sounds like they are committed to making this a banger port.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Really ? If GPU is doing the CPU work from GPU registers and fed by a common RAM, think about the latency.

Then tell me how PC does that with split RAM, .....

I've worked with doing some CUDA programming. Yes, there is latency moving data from CPU->GPU. But I would try my best not to do a read-back. I only want the communication to go one way. I would never poll the card to see if there is a message for transferring data back to the CPU. Those read-backs would be few and far between.

AND

It doesn't matter. The amount of time it takes to get data across to the GPU I will take the loss in time if I gain back a significant portion of frametime on the GPU side. That's where the consoles suffer. Their data flow may be fast back and forth since they have a shared memory, but their compute units are slow.

Bryank75

Banned
Apparently it sold over 700.000 copies on Steam alone in the first week. No idea how that compares with ps4 sales.
Game is also at 93% "Very positive" reviews.

EDIT: Making some estimations, its probably close to 900.000 copies now. Pretty good considering it hasn't even gone on sale yet
That's good. It deserved more love.

The basic idea holds water, if you tried to build a PC of parts equivalent to what's in a PS4/PS4 Pro/Xbox One/Xbox One X you wouldn't end up with the same performance generally. When people talk about PC outstripping consoles it's not usually a discussion of equivalent hardware. And when it is, well, the bad port discussion cuts both ways.

psorcerer

Banned
If the information is already on the GPU, I need it to render. What circumstance would I need to always ready from the GPU VRAM back into the CPU RAM? Give me something that every game HAS to do that? And why does this advantage on console hardware not materialize into faster throughput for better FPS or higher resolution?

HZD builds geometry on GPU procedurally.
You cannot submit stuff to GPU without physics for example, so you need to effectively merge the CPU and GPU output and resubmit through the pipeline.
Unfortunately GPU cannot create work for itself without CPU hence the sync is unavoidable.

The OP was so hurt by that thread title change that he even had a whinge about it in the comments of NX Gamer's video :messenger_tears_of_joy:

uNXsRh6.png

wow people real use fighting words in here huh?!

i was not hurt - why would i . But like every upright Person i like to be right. Especially if iam right. ;) I see no problem in what your have quoted. But your attack goes to show what often happens in Herds of Human. If a negative Picture is build up - no fact can make you step back ans see the Points being made.
Iam sorry if your are not wise enough to admit it. I was right.
Console optrimisation is no myth or magic.
it is simple - build hardware specificly to run Games. Then do the same with the API and there you go. Most people in here do not even know what the diffrence is between a low level API and and High level one..
Feels good man. I already drunk a beer to that Video :D

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

wow people real so use fighting wors in here huh?!

i was not hurt - why would i . But like every upright Person i like to be right. Especially if iam right. ;) I see no problem in what your have quoted. But your attack goes to show what often happens in Herds of Human. If a negative Picture is build up - no fact can make you step back ans see the Points being made.
Iam sorry if your are not wise enough top admit it. I was right.
it is simple - build hardware specificly to run Games. Then do the same with the API and there you go. Most peaople in here do not even know what the diffrence is between a low level API and and High level one..
Seriously man, stop. You'll get a custom user tag at this rate

VFXVeteran

Banned
HZD builds geometry on GPU procedurally.
You cannot submit stuff to GPU without physics for example, so you need to effectively merge the CPU and GPU output and resubmit through the pipeline.
Unfortunately GPU cannot create work for itself without CPU hence the sync is unavoidable.

OK, but that's still not enough to hamper the games performance. And it certainly has nothing to do with other games that don't use procedural scattering of geometry.

FS2020 also builds geometry on the GPU procedurally.

The gist of it is that anyone who claims that consoles somehow have a leg up on overall performance of a game is only kidding themselves. Is it more efficient? Sure. It has to be. But is it more performant? NO - and that's what counts at the end of the day.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
wow people real use fighting words in here huh?!

Iam sorry if your are not wise enough to admit it. I was right.
it is simple - build hardware specificly to run Games. Then do the same with the API and there you go. Most people in here do not even know what the diffrence is between a low level API and and High level one..

l think you will be disappointed this generation. The next-gen consoles will have most games being multiplatform in some form or fashion. ND is working on changing their graphics engine to support multiple platforms for the PC. The closed hardware paradigm for developing a game is really dead.

Hinedorf

Banned

I originally bought it for PS4 but never spent time playing more than a couple hours but have a really great PC so decided to double dip to see super performance and I'm glad I did. Became my retroactive Go(that)Y

psorcerer

Banned
OK, but that's still not enough to hamper the games performance. And it certainly has nothing to do with other games that don't use procedural scattering of geometry.

FS2020 also builds geometry on the GPU procedurally.

The gist of it is that anyone who claims that consoles somehow have a leg up on overall performance of a game is only kidding themselves. Is it more efficient? Sure. It has to be. But is it more performant? NO - and that's what counts at the end of the day.

Too vague. There are specific things where console will be always better. I.e. anything that leverages unified ram correctly.

What I said was very clear. You can have your unified ram. Where is most of the time spent in a given frame? Rendering. Give me "always better" PC GPU.

I always thought consoles had unified ram, because it would be cheaper to manufacture, not that it's a better solution. I'm sure PC's would have ditched system memory long also if this were the case.

Malakhov

Banned
I played this game on a rx470 for half of it and on a 1660 super for the rest. Never had problems with the game.

It wasn't very well optimised but for myself I can't say it was a bad port and it looked and played much better than on PS4.

psorcerer

Banned
What I said was very clear. You can have your unified ram. Where is most of the time spent in a given frame? Rendering. Give me "always better" PC GPU.

Rendering is too vague too.
There a lot of processes in rendering.
Some benefit from unified ran, some don't. There is no disadvantages to unified ram though (on current hw).
And as I've already said currently GPU cannot create work for itself, therefore copying ram is essentially the only way to use GPU. On PC it's almost always RAM->VRAM copy though (but for example occlusion culling needs VRAM->RAM copy, for obvious reasons).

VFXVeteran

Banned
Rendering is too vague too.
There a lot of processes in rendering.
Some benefit from unified ran, some don't. There is no disadvantages to unified ram though (on current hw).
And as I've already said currently GPU cannot create work for itself, therefore copying ram is essentially the only way to use GPU. On PC it's almost always RAM->VRAM copy though (but for example occlusion culling needs VRAM->RAM copy, for obvious reasons).

Yea, you are basically agreeing with me. It's cool. ;)

MrFunSocks

Banned
Cause NXGamer pretty much confirmed me here in his new Video about the HZD Port.

tenor.gif

NXGamer agreeing with you means nothing, other than hurting his credibility. NXGamer isn't some know-all higher power, he's just a guy like anyone else analyzing a video. He doesn't have dev kits and isn't a dev (don't think I've ever seen anything about him being a dev at least), he's just a guy that knows some technical terms and what to look out for like lots of us.

You can't compare a PC port to a console game that was made exclusively for 1 set of hardware. Saying that it proves anything is ridiculous.

Interesting that there are people with no major complaints while other have stopped playing due to the frame-rate and frequent crashes.
That's PC gaming for you. No way around it when there are literally thousands of hardware configurations with millions of different software configurations running on top of that.

Last edited:

DonMigs85

I think Star Wars Battlefront was one of the first games where a 750 Ti couldn't quite match base PS4. Also Nvidia has been dropping the ball on Maxwell driver optimizations as of late

martino

Did anyone see that they put out another patch earlier today?

Fixes a ton of shit for GPU, resolution issues.

And another one is expected in first week of September that starts addressing performance.

So it was a shitty launch but sounds like they are committed to making this a banger port.
Yeah they seem to be really working to remove all community problem feedback.
this could be a unity situation where coming back to it 6 month or 1 year later is not the same experience

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

He quotes: @ 19:20 "and certainly for what the team directly what they are working on with Forbidden West. And this is probably an idea of what could come to PS5 next year maybe in a brand new release - a new release with 60FPS and other enhancements to get close to the PC version....

If Playstation is already better than pc now, just wait till it gets the pc features that makes the pc version better. It will be insane.

honklhonk.jpg

Last edited:

NXGamer

Thanks for the link on my YT to this thread, otherwise I would not have seen it.

tenor.gif

So, I did try and discuss this in the video but the answer is Yes and No. The fact it is designed for PS4 hardware means No matter the amount of effort put in (bar a complete re-write) it will need better hardware than the PS4/PRO. That is true and has been true since before this gen and the last, fixed hardware and dedicated development to 1 spec will always enable 'solutions' unique to that and thus will always outperform another level piece of hardware. I covered this in my Tflops are a lie video.

The NO is that the port does have some issues as I show that COULD be improved such as the V-sync hold issue (which I have just read was fixed in the latest patch, typical but excellent and shows I was not mad) which when engaged causes incorrect sync points and lowers performance on PC incorrectly. As I show V-sync off or running at a higher rfresh (8ms) solves this mostly.

The Judders and stutters will be harder to fix as this is bandwidth and memory bound and is just the sheer amount running on the GPU. the port could be better and the team have acknowledged this, but you will always need to have much better hardware OR re-write the portions of the code (Async Compute) that rely on faster access or spead wider of the higher shader cores etc etc.
Physics on GPU, AI, Collision and as I show even the Mesh System has a basic sync point for CPU to GPU which stops any need to heavy handed Mutex points. For Console it was all designed to run within the target 33ms time as such with Async work this gives them a bigger bubble to work within and has effects, res are lower and thus bandwidth, cache occupancy is lower it hits that target more often than not. They still run over as I covered at launch hence why a Performance mode exists which lowers resolution to solve this back to 30fps. This is the same example I show in my video to solve the 45 > 60Fps from 1440 to 1080 as it is a quick fix.

The issue on PC is you ramp on effects, res and then reduce frame-time and extend memory systems and limit Wavefronts etc etc you are thus moving your bottlenecks around (they never go away on any system, they simply are managed). All these things adds requirements on bandwidth and extended sync points which are now only 16 or less ms aparts for frames, thus any stall has a perceived bigger imapct. This is why lowering Resolution and or textures etc helps, add in the fact the base engine is set to have a single RAM pool and now has to be traversed between 2 and through PCIe this exacerbates the issue further, this is a constant point of difference between PC and Console and why uMA memory is used on console for this benefit that reduces cross bandwidth requirements at the expense of contention.

Trigger man is triggered 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

NX even said the engine could have been rewritten for the PC port, but that would take resources. AKA, shitty port. Many things could have been fixed, and it could have been ported by GG themselves, but they didn't...AKA shitty port.

The icing on the cake is you got little mad when the mods rightfully changed the misleading title of your thread, to a more fitting title. You threw your fit, and nothing got changed. You went the extra mile to try and redeem the little bit of pride you had left, and posted a video you thought would be in your favor. That's when you got BIG mad. And here we are. It's still a poor port, and doesn't coincide with the same engine running phenomenal on PC, in Death Stranding. But of course you wouldn't acknowledge that. Fanboys gonna fanboy. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

P.S. I'm all for a mature discussion, minus crawling back under my stone, or being a potato head. Cause that's not possible, as potatoes don't have hands and feet.

CCkSNem.jpg
As above it is not a Shitty port but it could have improvements which they are working on still to improve it, V-sync is the biggest killer and then the stalls on data flow from sector points or just in cutscenes. As they have just released a patch that addresses some of the points I discuss I will be looking again to update on them which is good step forward.

Ah, yes, my comment in that section was in regard to the PS5 update/release of Zero Dawn NOT Forbidden west. I.e. by removing the frame-time limit, solving animation and physics timing issues on this PC version means a 60 or 120fps version could be released on PS5 to drum on interest and sales ahead of Forbidden West next year. This will be a brand new game and engine with many significant enhancements over this version as we have already seen in the trailer and will likely not have a 30fps only mode also.

That is true and has been true since before this gen and the last, fixed hardware and dedicated development to 1 spec will always enable 'solutions' unique to that and thus will always outperform another level piece of hardware. I covered this in my Tflops are a lie video.

Thank you. gif

The second dev's comment was about current-gen aka ps4/one.
And current-gen is the most ''basic'' console generation ever. Developing on a fixed platform brings always an advantage.
And many posts were I am saying the same thing, but people seem to don't get it.

I could make a wall of shame with people who tagged some laugh emoticons to my posts, but I am not that bad of a person :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the link on my YT to this thread, otherwise I would not have seen it.

The Judders and stutters will be harder to fix as this is bandwidth and memory bound and is just the sheer amount running on the GPU. the port could be better and the team have acknowledged this, but you will always need to have much better hardware OR re-write the portions of the code (Async Compute) that rely on faster access or spead wider of the higher shader cores etc etc.

Physics on GPU, AI, Collision and as I show even the Mesh System has a basic sync point for CPU to GPU which stops any need to heavy handed Mutex points. For Console it was all designed to run within the target 33ms time as such with Async work this gives them a bigger bubble to work within and has effects, res are lower and thus bandwidth, cache occupancy is lower it hits that target more often than not. They still run over as I covered at launch hence why a Performance mode exists which lowers resolution to solve this back to 30fps. This is the same example I show in my video to solve the 45 > 60Fps from 1440 to 1080 as it is a quick fix.

The issue on PC is you ramp on effects, res and then reduce frame-time and extend memory systems and limit Wavefronts etc etc you are thus moving your bottlenecks around (they never go away on any system, they simply are managed). All these things adds requirements on bandwidth and extended sync points which are now only 16 or less ms aparts for frames, thus any stall has a perceived bigger imapct. This is why lowering Resolution and or textures etc helps, add in the fact the base engine is set to have a single RAM pool and now has to be traversed between 2 and through PCIe this exacerbates the issue further, this is a constant point of difference between PC and Console and why uMA memory is used on console for this benefit that reduces cross bandwidth requirements at the expense of contention.

As above it is not a Shitty port but it could have improvements which they are working on still to improve it, V-sync is the biggest killer and then the stalls on data flow from sector points or just in cutscenes. As they have just released a patch that addresses some of the points I discuss I will be looking again to update on them which is good step forward.

Ah, yes, my comment in that section was in regard to the PS5 update/release of Zero Dawn NOT Forbidden west. I.e. by removing the frame-time limit, solving animation and physics timing issues on this PC version means a 60 or 120fps version could be released on PS5 to drum on interest and sales ahead of Forbidden West next year. This will be a brand new game and engine with many significant enhancements over this version as we have already seen in the trailer and will likely not have a 30fps only mode also.

Thanks for taking time to reply. For me, initial question still remains.

Can you get this game to work on PC as expected on top graphics cards without rewriting the engine/ creating new game ?

Last edited:

NXGamer

Thanks for taking time to reply. For me, initial question still remains.

Can you get this game to work on PC as expected on top graphics cards without rewriting the engine/ creating new game ?
Yes, brute force is always the choice. Once these fixes are applied this should be true and lower the requirements to run at 1080/60 >1440/60 etc.
However, the Stutters of data/bandwidth may never go without a bigger change to the system. Many of them look like physics and model resets so GPU physics is maybe a target for them.

Top Bottom