• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

Is there any video footage recorded in HDR? I know YouTube has an HDR feature and recently people have been uploading game clips- albeit - only Uncharted 4 and the Last of Us.

Famitsu:

130ccc-1487792774.jpg

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]
Now GG can finally celebrate their critical success!

noomi

Is there any video footage recorded in HDR? I know YouTube has an HDR feature and recently people have been uploading game clips- albeit - only Uncharted 4 and the Last of Us.

I'd be curious about this as well, haven't heard anything about HDR yet.

Elandyll

Banned
Dualshockers perfect 10/10 score was just added to MC, btw. No score change.
Yep, I keep an unweighted tally up for curiosity's sake, and the average is pretty much at 88.5. The 5/10 alone takes almost a .5 from the score (again, unweighted, not sure how USGamer is considered within MC).

I'm not even sure that a 10/10 from Edge would get it in the 89 territory at this point tbh.

How much did it move up the all time list?

It's now up to #671. Where was it prior to this update?

You convinced me. 7 seconds of a splash screen in a trailer have proved that Zelda is way more dynamic for sure than the myriad videos out there for Horizon.

I had to laugh out loud after seeing the video. Was he serious? LOL

Nope, as far as I know.
I like Horizon's trophy design,
it allows you to enjoy the game as you like.
No pressure on missing anything.

Yeah, I noticed this as soon as the trophy list came out. Looks like I'll get another platinum soon!

612 is the first 89 scored game.

Horizon is currently at 671.

The last 88-scored game is 794.

So it's actually decently close... Maybe a 10 from edge could bump it up, depending on the weighting.

DAMN USGAMER.

SomTervo

That is actually a very interesting opinion that explains the whole "open world fatigue". Developpers like to make games with huge worlds because going anywhere is a great selling point, people can't travel anywhere anytime in real life so they do it in games. However, the reality is that videogames can't make the simple activity of taking a walk remotely as fun as doing it in real life. Tilting a stick to progress in a huge world isn't nearly as compelling as actually going outside. That is why games need much more reasonssuch as scenario, level design and gameplay mechanics to encourage the player to bare with the more passive elements of the game.

One of the most beloved/fondly remembered "open world" moments in all of videogames was getting to Hyrule Field in OOT. Now people may say it's small and empty, but the real value of this moment was leaving a secluded area and then discover the whole hub that had like 5 other points of interest that you could access and even see from afar. Most open world games settle on making huge worlds sprinkled with enemies, quests and loot but that can get very monotonous, those are very basic rewards. An area in a videogame needs a much more elaborate design to be memorable rather than simply being a huge/pretty landscape

I'm very excited for Fallout 4 VR because, unlike on a regular monitor, simply walking around in an open world WILL be incredible in VR.

Heck, walking around tiny environments in vr is cool as fuck

playXray

If I had to bet I would put my money on a 7/10 Edge review score.

Well go ask them ;) Metacritic only covers Independent UK's music reviews scores. Not the game review scores.

I have just asked the question - I will let you know if I get a response.

Elandyll

Banned
If I had to bet I would put my money on a 7/10 Edge review score.

Well go ask them ;) Metacritic only covers Independent UK's music reviews scores. Not the game review scores.
I'm expecting an 8/10 myself from Edge. Great achievement in tech, lots of pros in graphics, world building, Aloy and some quests, but they will prob deck points for "Fantasy tropes", "human AI" and "derivative" (based on criticism in other reviews).

Time to start a petition to remove USGamer, Destructoid, and Eurogamer's scores from metacritic
Hmmm it's the same with every great game, there's always that one outlier review. I heard all the arguments, and I'm definitely not for throwing shade and attacking the character of anyone, honestly, I just think integrity levels across the board in video game journalism has to be risen. Like many have stated they wouldn't rate a game 'very poor' simply because they didn't like it. Like I really hate the vulgarity and humor in GTAV put maybe 10 hours in and was done with it. If I had to review it? Easily a 9/10 game because I can put my bias aside and judge the game's quality. I think when you have VERY low scores like 4/10 it implies more than just your opinion on the game, it implies it's flat out a bad game. And yeah opinions, everyone don't have to like what you like etc...but it's simply B/S to call some of these well crafted titles 'bad' games.

That's where I stand on the issue anyway. I love for reviewers to put their own personality into reviews and really can't stand a review that's telling me a synopsis or breakdown of the game and mechanics. But, there would be a limit to how low I would grade someone's creative work if I held the power to have my voice and opinion to be heard by a multitude of readers. No one would have blinked twice if US gamer review was a 7/10 for example.

Edit - Yo.

Hmmm it's the same with every great game, there's always that one outlier review. I heard all the arguments, and I'm definitely not for throwing shade and attacking the character of anyone, honestly, I just think integrity levels across the board in video game journalism has to be risen. Like many have stated they wouldn't rate a game 'very poor' simply because they didn't like it. Like I really hate the vulgarity and humor in GTAV put maybe 10 hours in and was done with it. If I had to review it? Easily a 9/10 game because I can put my bias aside and judge the game's quality. I think when you have VERY low scores like 4/10 it implies more than just your opinion on the game, it implies it's flat out a bad game. And yeah opinions, everyone don't have to like what you like etc...but it's simply B/S to call some of these well crafted titles 'bad' games.

That's where I stand on the issue anyway. I love for reviewers to put their own personality into reviews and really can't stand a review that's telling me a synopsis or breakdown of the game and mechanics. But, there would be a limit to how low I would grade someone's creative work if I held the power to have my voice and opinion to be heard by a multitude of readers.
Yep, that is where I stand on it but I avoided that conversation lol.

playXray

"Hey Ray,

No, I don't mind at all, and thanks for your note. I've had conversations with their team over the years, but we haven't opted to pick them up to this point. As you know, we're not a clearinghouse of reviews. We don't include everyone who publishes game reviews in our system. (I've estimate that number to be in the 1,110 number - we're at around 150 in our games section.) We look for a balance among many types of publications: enthusiast press, traditional media, independents, non-US/EU territories, etc.

Appreciate the question,

Marc"

I'm impressed with how quickly they responded - I wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't answer at all!

I think it was 693 according to Wollan. It's going to need a couple of 10s, I think a 10 from Edge it's impossible/unlikely.

Ahh, thanks for the info. And yeah, I don't think Edge will be giving this a perfect score. More likely a 9 or an 8. Hopefully the former.

I'm expecting an 8/10 myself from Edge. Great achievement in tech, lots of pros in graphics, world building, Aloy and some quests, but they will prob deck points for "Fantasy tropes", "human AI" and "derivative" (based on criticism in other reviews).

Is it safe to assume that the game will stay at 88 MC if Edge gives it an 8 or 9? If it gets a 7 from them, will it fall to 87?

This reminds me of Final Fantasy XV situation

Again and just like with FF I prefer the old face.

I agree with the sentiment for King Regis (preferring the old look) but, to be fair, they did explain why they made him older in the final game.

"Hey Ray,

No, I don't mind at all, and thanks for your note. I've had conversations with their team over the years, but we haven't opted to pick them up to this point. As you know, we're not a clearinghouse of reviews. We don't include everyone who publishes game reviews in our system. (I've estimate that number to be in the 1,110 number - we're at around 150 in our games section.) We look for a balance among many types of publications: enthusiast press, traditional media, independents, non-US/EU territories, etc.

Appreciate the question,

Marc"

I'm impressed with how quickly they responded - I wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't answer at all!

This is cool and, yeah, it's impressive they responded so quickly - if at all! Thanks for taking the time to ask them. Now we know.

Raylan

Banned
"Hey Ray,

Appreciate the question,

Marc"

That's cool. Well there you have it :D

Holy fuck those reviews, those screens, this GAME.

Why did it have to come out the same week as Zelda?? I can only choose one and I already chose Zelda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom