• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so glad I can finish the story in a reasonable amount of time too, every time I’m about to pick up W3 or MGSV, I just shudder to think about the 80-100 hour completion time for both of those games lol.

This is another bit I didn't really talk about in my review -- I kept calling it "the perfect RPG for dads" in our website's Slack channel. Not as a pejorative -- the game is legit hard -- but it's a lean, mean RPG machine that trims the fat, leaving only what's fun, and there isn't an overwhelming quest log of side activities to distract from and bury the main story. You can feel productive and accomplished in just 30-min to 1-hr play sessions.

SomTervo

I skim-read the USGamer review (don't want to spoil much) but I actually quite enjoyed it. I doubt I'll agree with it but it's a solid piece of criticism.

Salters gonna salt, I guess.

It's finally happening - the week of legend is almost upon us. Between 02/28 - 03/7:
  • 02/28: Horizon
  • 03/03: Breath of the Wild
  • 03/07: Nier Automata
  • 03/07: Wildlands
This might be the most exciting week I've ever had for new game releases.

It's insaaane

Took these gifs of some bigger battles on the map I ran into. Second half of the game is no fucking joke.

hc2OWRT.gif

F2I6yLn.gif

Haines

Banned
I only played kill zone 2 (but my God did I play the ever living shit out of it).

3 and shadow fall looked like lame to me so I skipped.

But oh buy am I all in on this sucker

bbd23

Great reviews. this was the game that was going to make me pick up a PS4...I am so tempted to just go out and buy the slim right now.

jelly

It is pretty telling that they absolutely school developers like Bethesda with both visuals and performance with their first open world game. Devastatingly so. I hope you guys are paying attention.

To be a little fair, Bethesda worlds are persistent which probably makes it creak like nothing else. They do need to improve massively though at basics, art etc.

@TheGhostSix

Those screens, wowzer.

Zia

What is it about this game that brings out shitty trolls like yourself?

Yes, actually following outlets and writers instead of glomming onto consensus only when it validates my desires is trolling. The game is reviewing really well, you should be happy.

CHC

2017 is the new 1998...

Honestly, 2015 and up has just been fucking amazing. I feel like the industry is finally stabilizing after that horrible risk-averse dark age from (very roughly) 2007-2014. Obviously there are many good games from that period but it feels like mainstream games have a solid groundwork of what works and what doesn't and are sort of able to take risks or make more ambitious games based off of that.

2015, 2016, 2017 are all just packed with amazing releases, so many of which are genre diverse in a way we haven't seen since like the 90s. I'm loving the way things are going lately.

Alo0oy

Banned
/v/ and /r are relentless aren't they, besides their awful reddit posts, now they're stalking journalists that gave the game a good score, particularly women.

KotakuInAction is calling it "another ghostbuster" too.

Rozart

Universal combat praise. Nice to see this coming from a WRPG. I hope they continue refine the combat and add more depth (specially the melee which seems to be the weakest part) in the sequel.

Yeap. It's about time that we got an open-world RPG with an actual, engaging combat system. And to think that out of all the seasoned RPG developers, it's Guerilla (a previously FPS-focused studio) who finally delivers...Fingers crossed that ME:A's combat would be just as satisfying.

The combat versus the human enemies too don't seem to be up to par with the robots but hey, they can add that to lil' list of things that they need to improve on in the inevitable sequel. :p

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I have no idea what preview coverage you were reading to be that far off the mark.

Christ, KZ3 was an 84.
Correct. That was 2 games and 6 years ago. Their last published game (ShadowFall) was a 73 Metacritic, and the trend in reviews has been a downward swing since Killzone 2.

Bottom line though, is that I'm happy for the studio and they've seemingly come out of their slump with a great game. Can't wait!

Hi. I played Horizon and loved it. Gave it a 5/5 on my review but also I took like 50 screenshots with Photo Mode. If anyone wants to check them out. (text is in portuguese but the screens are there) https://omelete.uol.com.br/games/artigo/horizon-zero-dawn-e-um-dos-jogos-mais-bonitos-dessa-geracao/

Here are a few (taken on regular PS4)
NKuAjtB.jpg

w0S3BN6.jpg

HB9FJg9.jpg

HSffLO3.jpg

RaKEYMF.jpg
Jesus...this is like the stuff witcher and ff promised pre downgrade.
Can't even imagine how bonkers itll be at 4k with HDR.
Sadly no capture can help me with that till i have the game in my hands

Osahi

Took these gifs of some bigger battles on the map I ran into. Second half of the game is no fucking joke.

hc2OWRT.gif

F2I6yLn.gif

My first encounter with a Thunderjaw took the better part of 10 minutes, and has earned his place in my most memorable moments in gaming list.

So freaking intense. Lots of regular enemy encounters feel like bossfights in this game, and I love it.

renjworks

Neo Member
oh holy sweet JESUS my hype meter is up to the roof right now with all the 10's and 9's.
Ni-oh and these on Thursday, hold me!

dhMeAzK.gif

CONGRATS GUERILLA!

EDIT: whoops, apparently Horizon will be released on the 28th in Manila.

geordiemp

would've guessed 82. fun game, solid combat, but derivative. being a general consensus. looks like i was off a bit with a strong story carrying some of the samey ness. grats GG Sony nice scores.

By the numbers but the combat looks challanging and it does not look barren and empty like most open world games - seeing a pack of 10 + dino enemies is double what many open world games offer,

This is another bit I didn't really talk about in my review -- I kept calling it "the perfect RPG for dads" in our website's Slack channel. Not as a pejorative -- the game is legit hard -- but it's a lean, mean RPG machine that trims the fat, leaving only what's fun, and there isn't an overwhelming quest log of side activities to distract from and bury the main story. You can feel productive and accomplished in just 30-min to 1-hr play sessions.
Have a 6 year old, and turning 30 this year, at times, I thought I was going to have to give up gaming. Indies and evergreen titles like Destiny/SF/Mario kart have saved the day for me though. But I do feel I miss out some of the AAA experiences because I just can’t devote time everyday to gaming like I used to.

I know I will eventually get to games like GR2, RE7, even FF15 with reasonable completion times that as you said, trim the fat, or are just not super long endeavors. I know I would absolutely love Witcher 3 though, and even something like FF14, but yeah, it’s like when do I actually sit down with a game for 7-10 hour sessions? lol...Summer vacation or something I dunno.

cordy

Banned
I said I'd be ok with an 8.

Come into the thread and I'm seeing 9, 10s and even a 5/5/ from GB.

Day One homies. Day. One.

DemWalls

Universal combat praise. Nice to see this coming from a WRPG. I hope they continue refine the combat and add more depth (specially the melee which seems to be the weakest part) in the sequel.

Is it? Well, I kind of expected that. Honestly, I didn't even think there would be melee combat until a few months ago.

Boy, if I didn't just play Overwatch exclusively these days I'd be super tempted to pick up a Pro later this year for the PS4 exclusives.

Jumeira

Banned
I honestly had no faith in GG, but I'm glad to be proven wrong, I will now make the most unlikely of decisions to pick this up! I can't play Zelda due to not wanting a Switch (but drooling over BotW), so this will suffice. Nice one, so that's RE7, Yakuza and now Horizon on my list, great start to 2017.

Word!

I had no idea it's an RPG, and for that reason I will probably never ever play it.

:(

My time is just not that free these days to spend countless hours in an RPG, and that hurts. :(
Should check the reviews. GG has made this trim-fatting endeavor and have cut a lot of RPG tropes and streamlined them. Greg from kinda funny hates RPG’s and loved this game to bits.

Based on reviews, you can easily play this in 2 hour chunks and actually get done with the game in a week or so. The main story is not super long. Its really refreshing.

So it is going to be a drop dead gorgeous and smooth running beast on my slim as well. Excellent.

Guerrilla Games has been one of Sony's most technically-proficient studios for some time now so it's not surprise that they were able to deliver a very stable presentation in Horizon: Zero Dawn. But that shouldn't really take away at the impressive work they did in this game. It's quite a departure from what they've been doing for over a decade yet they managed to make the transition look so easy.

To think we started with Knack, 1886, KIllzone Shadow fall, Drive Club. Yeesh, were out of the woods now.

The launch lineup may not look good in hindsight, but DriveClub and Resogun are great games.

Hi. I played Horizon and loved it. Gave it a 5/5 on my review(if any portuguese reading gaffers want to read, it's here) but also I took like 50 screenshots with Photo Mode. If anyone wants to check them out. (text is in portuguese but the screens are there) https://omelete.uol.com.br/games/artigo/horizon-zero-dawn-e-um-dos-jogos-mais-bonitos-dessa-geracao/

Here are a few (taken on regular PS4)
NKuAjtB.jpg

w0S3BN6.jpg

HB9FJg9.jpg

HSffLO3.jpg

RaKEYMF.jpg

How I wish I got money right now to shell out for a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV. Ugh! But thanks for the screens man. These are awesome!

The Lamp

I love how Aloy is well-written and doesn't have a single absurdly skimpy outfit. No comments in the game refer to her attractive figure. She's such a great female character. Way to go, GG

Word!

I had no idea it's an RPG, and for that reason I will probably never ever play it.

:(

My time is just not that free these days to spend countless hours in an RPG, and that hurts. :(
The general consensus is that it's more streamlined, focused, and straight up action game, than your usual RPG

What exactly are you imagining this game to be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom