• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Majmun

Was quite sceptical about the game. But the more I'm readin these impressions, the more I'm inclined on getting this day 1.

Tigress

Anyone with a shred of sense knows that spoiler free doesnt mean shit, and should have the self awareness that being spoilerphobic, entering any thread so close to release is dangerous.

If anyone is that sensitive and doesnt stay out of threads pertaining to the game they are sensitive about, they cant complain.

If it says spoiler free, the onus is on people posting to remember not to post spoilers. I got banned on GAF doing so one time and while I think that was a little overboard for the crime, it's fair that they chastised me for forgetting not to put a spoiler down in a thread that specifically says spoiler free (I just completely wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in).

This does not excuse you from not posting spoilers. Now, a mistake may happen (obviously I understand that ;) ) but then go back and hide the spoilers so that those who haven't read it yet won't get spoiled. It's common courtesy. Not blame the person who is asking to hide spoilers in a thread specifically saying "spoiler free". Or say forget worrying about that, you're going to get spoiled anyways. That just makes you a jerk.

vivekTO

When going to boarders there are some invisible wall spots.

So somewhat like the starting area of the vault in Fallout 4, that is also at the border of the map. I thought you have came across something like this in the middle of the maps.
Which would be pretty irritating.Thanks

About time of the day, there should be an option to adjust, Guerrilla should fix this.

Was quite sceptical about the game. But the more I'm readin these impressions, the more I'm inclined on getting this day 1.

btw, my 10-12 hours of gameplay? 1 sitting. Popped it in today and had to stop. its' a bit too late for loud explosions. lol.

you need this game. its so good!

Muninn

Banned
If it says spoiler free, the onus is on people posting to remember not to post spoilers. I got banned on GAF doing so one time and while I think that was a little overboard for the crime, it's fair that they chastised me for forgetting not to put a spoiler down in a thread that specifically says spoiler free (I just completely wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in).

This does not excuse you from not posting spoilers. Now, a mistake may happen (obviously I understand that ;) ) but then go back and hide the spoilers so that those who haven't read it yet won't get spoiled. It's common courtesy. Not blame the person who is asking to hide spoilers in a thread specifically saying "spoiler free". Or say forget worrying about that, you're going to get spoiled anyways. That just makes you a jerk.

I don't believe in bans for a lot of what GAF bans for, but spoilers deserve a ban no matter what if it is a non-spoiler thread.

vivekTO

Also, having photomode. Hnnngh. I've done a few but I'm not posting as some of the areas are quite spoilerific. Love the rendering on the faces when people are having close up conversations. So beautiful.

There is a Spoiler thread , if you wants to you can post in there.

Also I am nervous now with spoilers and ban discussions :p

yeah dont be an areshole and post spoilers in a spoiler free thread. especially when the game isn't out for at least 11 more days.

There is a Spoiler thread , if you wants to you can post in there.

I don't want to see spoilers myself. lol. I will when I'm done. :)

The Lamp

One of the only main complaints I have at this point is that I'm starting to really wish the game had more combat balance toward weapons and play styles other than just projectile attacks. I wish melee was more exciting and I wish there were more melee attacks and weapons. I sometimes get a little bored of having to focus my strategy around shooting things from afar 90% of the time. With all the machine beasts around me, it's kind of making me itch a little bit for the melee variety and context-sensitive combat of Metal Gear Rising lol.

But it's a small complaint.

vivekTO

i was skeptical too and saw some questionable webm, still skeptical

which one??

One of the only main complaints I have at this point is that I'm starting to really wish the game had more combat balance toward weapons and play styles other than just projectile attacks. I wish melee was more exciting and I wish there were more melee attacks and weapons. I sometimes get a little bored of having to focus my strategy around shooting things from afar 90% of the time. With all the machine beasts around me, it's kind of making me itch a little bit for the melee variety and context-sensitive combat of Metal Gear Rising lol.

Yup its disappointing that you have only spear for melle attack, although that is used for overrides but still should have some variety too.

Gudji

OBVIOUSLY don't read the spoilers

about 10-12 hours in. Fuck this game is amazing!!!! Guerilla's really done it. A fantastic fantastic AAA+ open world. dayummmnnn

Here's where I am in the game
got to meridian; decided to double back and do some side quests - just cleared the 1st cauldron.
Man, Guerilla is killing this. Graphics is unbelievable and I've set the combat to be one notch above normal and it get really tricky sometimes. There's a lot of variety here and some of the gameplay mechanics to fight the creatures are great. Love the trickblaster (name escapes me). Some difficult combat but I'm loving it. Everytime I die, I grin and do it all over again.

Amazing visuals that continually stun. There's so much diversity too.
Riding into Meridian and seeing that grand canyonesque landscape - and then the tropical foilage in the city and farmlands
But seriously, the area I just completely - the
cauldron
was so ZOMG. They even had time to do all this? Shittt!

Game is huggge.

Also, having photomode. Hnnngh. I've done a few but I'm not posting as some of the areas are quite spoilerific. Love the rendering on the faces when people are having close up conversations. So beautiful.

The lighting in the open world is also amazing, with volumetric cloud/godrays at night? And rain.

AND there's a lot more story than you'd think in this game. So many sidequests and errands to do too.

Can you give example of an errand please? Thank you.

JayB1920

OBVIOUSLY don't read the spoilers

about 10-12 hours in. Fuck this game is amazing!!!! Guerilla's really done it. A fantastic fantastic AAA+ open world. dayummmnnn

Here's where I am in the game
got to meridian; decided to double back and do some side quests - just cleared the 1st cauldron.
Man, Guerilla is killing this. Graphics is unbelievable and I've set the combat to be one notch above normal and it get really tricky sometimes. There's a lot of variety here and some of the gameplay mechanics to fight the creatures are great. Love the trickblaster (name escapes me). Some difficult combat but I'm loving it. Everytime I die, I grin and do it all over again.

Amazing visuals that continually stun. There's so much diversity too.
Riding into Meridian and seeing that grand canyonesque landscape - and then the tropical foilage in the city and farmlands
But seriously, the area I just completely - the
cauldron
was so ZOMG. They even had time to do all this? Shittt!

Game is huggge.

The lighting in the open world is also amazing, with volumetric cloud/godrays at night? And rain.

AND there's a lot more story than you'd think in this game. So many sidequests and errands to do too.

Sounds great. How large was the
Cauldron
and long did the it take approximately? Was platforming interesting/challenging? Were there any puzzles? There seems to be conflicting information about that.

nah. you don't understand how the combat in this game works.
The stars around the enemy mean's he's stunned so you can do a critical attack.
They've probably also
upgraded Aloy's stats so she can do better crits.
I wouldn't sweat it. Combat in Horizon is really quite fun. Guess what game is reminds me of in some ways. Zelda. Bows, and melee,.

I feel the same but more about defense. There is nothing but dodge, that's it. Well running for your life as well but that's basically it. Some defense items would be nice, a counter attack, a shield of some sort. Just something so it's not such a roll fest.

Sounds great. How large was the
Cauldron
and long did the Cauldron take approximately? Was platforming interesting/challenging? Were there any puzzles? There seems to be conflicting information about that.

I spoiler tagged
Cauldron
but Im guessing people know about it? I didn't as I read nothign on the game before playing it

It was a large enough space to wander around in, I wouldn't say its huge but it looks amazing. No puzzles. Yes, there is a
sorta boss fight in a room
. The
architecture of the space and how it looks is amazing

Cartho

How does the game look with a PRO and a 1080p TV?
Supersampling, enhanced effects or other?
I think it has all of the above. I believe Pro mode at 1080p has supersampling, enhanced Anisotropic Filtering, better foliage draw distance and a few other bits possibly too.

It's basically the first "proper" Pro game.

vivekTO

Horizon "Zelda killer" Zero dawn video is not working , obviously going by the name there should be something interesting.Although about cutscenes, yes multiple poster has said that some NPC don't have too hot facial animation and appears rigid.

The webm is working , the melee seems to be overpowered to you? or the clipping?

In terms of cutscenes don't expect naughty dog or kojima level stuff. It's clearly a step down in the animations, the directing and all that. There are some action sequences that look rather stiff.

The Lamp

I feel the same but more about defense. There is nothing but dodge, that's it. Well running for your life as well but that's basically it. Some defense items would be nice, a counter attack, a shield of some sort. Just something so it's not such a roll fest.

Absolutely agreed. The melee combat and defense was serviceable at the beginning but now it's starting to wear a little thin with how shallow that aspect is to me. The game is still fun overall though

Horizon 2 should flesh that out more.

Skeeter49

A better combat system probably would have needed a stamina system implemented, which could have been a pain.
Never again in an open world game after Dragons Dogma.

Absolutely agreed. The melee combat and defense was serviceable at the beginning but now it's starting to wear a little thin with how shallow that aspect is to me. The game is still fun overall though

Horizon 2 should flesh that out more.

Yeah as of now seems mostly about the pre-set up with arming the battlefield, then engaging as they trip off traps, etc and then a swing or two here and then getting away. I do love attacking on a mount though!

The Lamp

A better combat system probably would have needed a stamina system implemented, which could have been a pain.
Never again in an open world game after Dragons Dogma.

Nah, I don't think it's required. Even old 3D Zelda has more variety in melee combat than Horizon (shields and different sword attacks) and it didn't have a stamina bar.

The webm is working , the melee seems to be overpowered to you? or the clipping?

I think my issue with melee is inconsistency. Sometimes you swing and miss, other times you track and slide all the way to an enemy completely removing the need to space attacks. The impacts look great but inconsistency is bad. Very poor implementation of soft lock on I feel. The contextual damage is perfectly fine though. I like that.

Nah, I don't think it's required. Even old 3D Zelda has more variety in melee combat than Horizon (shields and different sword attacks) and it didn't have a stamina bar.

Yeah no stamina bar is good .
For 2 hopefully the expand the melee combat .
It would have been fun to go full melee with robos you hack going at the enemy .

Not so good impressions more :(

Will be a dissapointed game i think

These are mostly minor complaints though. Probably notable enough to prevent it from reaching total masterpiece tier but the game seems really really strong overall.

Also MiamiWesker, if you could somehow get the skill that adds a
two tier dodge roll
I would like to see your impressions of that.

Top Bottom