• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

The fights I have been doing. I just challenge myself taking on three big dudes at a time. But I really should focus on quests I'll burn myself out, but it's so much fun.

The fights I have been doing. I just challenge myself taking on three big dudes at a time. But I really should focus on quests I'll burn myself out, but it's so much fun.
Would you say that a comparison to Vanquish and dual stick shooters would describe the pace of combat well? Got to stay moving, evasion-heavy, precision required, different combos of enemies change encounters drastically, etc.

When you do battles like that, how do the enemies coordinate with one another? Do they just do their own thing or are they aware of each other? Nothing like coordinated attacks but do they move out of the way of each other, move around each other, etc...

Yeah, good that it is fun though.

Lol, the game sets up the first encounter with a cauldron as a big test for your skills, but then you can just stand on a rock and start shooting arrows and it just goes back and forth till it drops dead.

GreyWind

I know this a bit off-topic but anyone knows if there will be an official soundtrack release? I searched but didn't find anything relevant.

Cartho

Lol, the game sets up the first encounter with a cauldron as a big test for your skills, but then you can just stand on a rock and start shooting arrows and it just goes back and forth till it drops dead.

Lol. Bloodborne's first required boss is so bad you just use the extended hunter axe and smack him over the gravestones and he can't get you haha so ez chez.

Many, many games have cheesy strats.

Many games have cheese. One of the reasons I looking forward to Zelda is to see how many broken strats are going to be used. The question whether that cheese is fun tho. That being said, this is somewhat emblematic of why Hitscan with huge range can be more difficult to balance than other game mechanics.

ianpm31

You sound excited. Most games have cheese, you can cheese enemies in Souls games witcher, etc what is your point?

You can cheese in Nioh too and look how great that game is. Shit I believe it's almost a must to cheese
Tachibana Muneshige
in the sub-mission lol

You know what I'm shocked about here..No season pass well for now I guess. No micros, no season pass, no buyable dlc(again this can all still come) wanna talk about risky the option for additional revenue isn't even there. So essentially Sony let them take 6 years on a brand new IP in uncharted (hehe) waters for GG. Pretty crazy

Loudninja

You know what I'm shocked about here..No season pass well for now I guess. No micros, no season pass, no buyable dlc(again this can all still come) wanna talk about risky the option for additional revenue isn't even there. So essentially Sony let them take 6 years on a brand new IP in uncharted (hehe) waters for GG. Pretty crazy
I think we might see DLC.

Yeah, I'm confident DLC will come down the line but the revenue is completely limited to how well it can sell upfront up to the DLC coming out. It will have to do very well.

VanWinkle

I'm ecstatic about there being no microtransactions. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to some DLC in the form of expansions or extra quests and challenges!

JakR

I'm ecstatic about there being no microtransactions. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to some DLC in the form of expansions or extra quests and challenges!

If successful enough, I some how hope for a witcher 3 like expansions. I can dream, can I?

Sooooo........the story
Tvdf3KE.gif

Gurish

OBVIOUSLY don't read the spoilers

about 10-12 hours in. Fuck this game is amazing!!!! Guerilla's really done it. A fantastic fantastic AAA+ open world. dayummmnnn

Here's where I am in the game
got to meridian; decided to double back and do some side quests - just cleared the 1st cauldron.
Man, Guerilla is killing this. Graphics is unbelievable and I've set the combat to be one notch above normal and it get really tricky sometimes. There's a lot of variety here and some of the gameplay mechanics to fight the creatures are great. Love the trickblaster (name escapes me). Some difficult combat but I'm loving it. Everytime I die, I grin and do it all over again.

Amazing visuals that continually stun. There's so much diversity too.
Riding into Meridian and seeing that grand canyonesque landscape - and then the tropical foilage in the city and farmlands
But seriously, the area I just completely - the
cauldron
was so ZOMG. They even had time to do all this? Shittt!

Game is huggge.

Also, having photomode. Hnnngh. I've done a few but I'm not posting as some of the areas are quite spoilerific. Love the rendering on the faces when people are having close up conversations. So beautiful.

The lighting in the open world is also amazing, with volumetric cloud/godrays at night? And rain.

AND there's a lot more story than you'd think in this game. So many sidequests and errands to do too.

Are you playing it on the Pro?

vivekTO

What footage are you guys referring to?

Ok got it up. Early , maybe considered first boss battle? Quote it. Taken from PS4 Pro. Tree damage near near 1:40 was cool.

Quote this quote.its not a big cutscene but a good character interactions scene.

also check this post , i have some screeshots

Also Have you worked or have any kind of input in the intro Cutscene of the game, because that is dope and one of the best opening of the games. I think you have worked for some months at guerrilla , right?

Also Have you worked or have any kind of input in the intro Cutscene of the game, because that is dope and one of the best opening of the games. I think you have worked for some months at guerrilla , right?

I did but I don`t think I worked on the cutscene you`re talking about. And as before - haven`t seen it yet:)

Would you say that a comparison to Vanquish and dual stick shooters would describe the pace of combat well? Got to stay moving, evasion-heavy, precision required, different combos of enemies change encounters drastically, etc.

I'll answer you and the others, it's not crazy fast like vanquish but yeah you are constantly sliding, running, rolling. Letting out attacks and traps when you can.

As for enemy behaviors I don't know if they coordinate, they just fuck you up. They don't take turns, they will straight gang up on you and mess you up. I would be trying to do a critical hit on one only to have a projectile hit me from another guy. But I don't think there is any real strategy between the enemies.

vivekTO

I did but I don`t think I worked on the cutscene you`re talking about. And as before - haven`t seen it yet:)

Well its pretty great , that 3 mins Cutscene introduces the player to the Horizon world beautifully. I hope there are more like that in the game, later.

Wait a min.. Do you remember working on a character name "BROM" :p

I can confirm that robot horse controls a biajillion times better than wither 3 horse.

horizon is the best controlling/feeling game GG ha ever made. It was one of my main concerns as I hated the weighty/floaty killzone feel.

Top Bottom