• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Games like P.T. (Free for the Whole Family)

Awesome thread. I'm a big scaredy cat, but P.T. has me really interested in these sorts of games. The Curse Forest and The Train I might give a try first.

ethomaz

Banned
O played some of them and no on exame close to P.T. in terms of scare me.

P.T. really do the fucking job.

abracadaver

what about slender: the arrival / outlast / ether one / gone home / among the sleep / amnesia ?

I haven't played any of them I just expected them to be in the OP as well. Or are they not as scary ?

Haunted

what about slender: the arrival / outlast / ether one / gone home / among the sleep / amnesia ?

I haven't played any of them I just expected them to be in the OP as well. Or are they not as scary ?
OP included "free" in the premise.

The games you mentioned all fit, but are commercial releases. I'd add Master Reboot to that list, even if it's not as scary or well-executed as Amnesia or Outlast.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Subbed to the thread, these games sound like they will be fun to try with some friends. Thanks a lot Dusk!

Proud to say I've played about 85-90% of the games listed in here. Sadly though when you play enough of them they all sort of blend together after a while.

Some are true standouts though like "imscared" and "Which" because they do some different things. But the rest are all pretty standard fare in the indie horror scene. Same cheap scares everywhere.

P.T. was far more effective at selling its atmosphere and creeping me out probably due to the more AAA quality of it and having very realistic visuals is a great asset for horror games. It's one of the few horror games recently that had me on edge just walking around and not because I thought a jumpscare was coming like most others do to falsely inflate tension, but because I was just weirded out and didn't know what was going on

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Proud to say I've played about 85-90% of the games listed in here. Sadly though when you play enough of them they all sort of blend together after a while.

Some are true standouts though like "imscared" and "Which" because they do some different things. But the rest are all pretty standard fare in the indie horror scene. Same cheap scares everywhere.

P.T. was far more effective at selling its atmosphere and creeping me out probably due to the more AAA quality of it and having very realistic visuals is a great asset for horror games. It's one of the few horror games recently that had me on edge just walking around and not because I thought a jumpscare was coming like most others do to falsely inflate tension, but because I was just weirded out and didn't know what was going on

Some games have this effect, though I do agree some of these blend together, and again. P.T. has the advantage of budget and big talent and team behind it. Mystery and the unknown can add a lot, I agree.

DoubleD

Subbed. Thanks for the list, Dusk. I played P.T. last night for the first time and it scared the piss out of me.

Wow thats a very nice list.

I remember Penumbra had a tech demo as well, before the Penumbra games proper were put into production. It had cool lighting effects for its time.

NewGame

Banned
I know it's not free but the Juon game on Wii was far more interesting than PT. Much more interesting atmosphere, better horror enforcing mechanics and generally more jump scares (and actual scares throughout).

Also it's a great game to have someone else play
You can secretly hold the second player Wii remote and activate scares and watch the first players reaction.

Then again when I heard P.T was a Silent Hill(ish) game I immediately looked into it only to be disappointed beyond all reason.

JNT

A spooky re-mention as we are getting ever closer to later nights and October horror month.

Hey Golem, I remember a retro-styled first-person indie horror game where you played as the murderer. You were basically running around a house killing people (your own family I believe). I only caught a glimpse of it once and now I can't remember what it was called. Any idea what game I'm talking about?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey Golem, I remember a retro-styled first-person indie horror game where you played as the murderer. You were basically running around a house killing people (your own family I believe). I only caught a glimpse of it once and now I can't remember what it was called. Any idea what game I'm talking about?

Jeez, I feel like I do, I might be thinking of something else but I'm thinking of a game where you're in a house, it had some retro graphics and had a Victorian style to it, and your goal is to kill your family and not let any escape or alert the authorities, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or if that's even what you're talking about.

I've played The Train and Cursed Forest. The Train was good, especially for one moment I won't spoil. Even though I couldn't understand the (minimal) Russian dialogue.

Jeez, I feel like I do, I might be thinking of something else but I'm thinking of a game where you're in a house, it had some retro graphics and had a Victorian style to it, and your goal is to kill your family and not let any escape or alert the authorities, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or if that's even what you're talking about.

Calm Time?

petran79

Banned
Jack in the Dark is freeware too

Jack+in+the+Dark.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is the best thread on GAF

Ever

Gonna do a horror session one day and I'll be using the shit out of this thread

WEGGLES

Had a scary game night with some friends on thursday. We tried One Late Night and Cursed Forest.

One Late Night was neat, but after dying and our save not working we gave up. We figured we had the gist of it by that point.

Played through all of Cursed Forest. That was fun. My friend got so scared by a certain part
When there's a note on a table through a slightly ajar door... and then the monster pops up as you squint to read it
he got a charliehorse in his leg.

Great thread, can't wait to try out more.

Top Bottom