• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This site is much better than reddit

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was looking for information on the current gen of 3d printers. On Reddit, most of the activity was clustered around the subreddits for each major brand of printer. On the Bambu subreddit they would tell you that Bambu is the best and a revolution and all the others are ancient trash. It was so aggressive that it became highly questionable. On the Prusa sub they were mostly more balanced about the pros and cons of each but were also ignoring the price/performance ratios since Prusa fell behind on that, and of course everyone ultimately recommended Prusa there. But I’ve used Prusas and know that they’re solid and have good customer service.

On YouTube, literally 1 in 10 videos about these printers were not sponsored, and Bambu was clearly sending out their top end model to all the influencers large and small for free, and they would rave about it without fail after getting the $1500 new shiny box set up, after saying that getting it for free had no influence on their opinion of course. But almost all the Prusa mk4 videos were sponsored too.

The current state of things on the internet sucks. An enthusiast forum like GAF where we try to weed out shills and trolls and don’t accept payola will always be better to me. While most users are anonymous, you can still get a much better sense of character and reputation over time here.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
There are some subreddits that are okay like r/40klore where people focus on talking about and asking about the lore of Warhammer 40K. Most of the people there are pretty mature too and won't just downvote you but every now and then I've seen them downvote people for things that they shouldn't be downvoted for. Overall though, Reddit is a terrible place.

Last edited:
I dont have a problem with reddit since I only visit subreddits of specific hobbies and games. There's great subs for mini painting and warhammer 40k on there

Last edited:
There are some subreddits that are okay like r/40klore where people focus on talking about and asking about the lore of Warhammer 40K. Most of the people there are pretty mature too and won't just downvote you but every now and then I've seen them downvote people for things that they shouldn't be downvoted for. Overall though, Reddit is a terrible place.
I visit that sub, if you want to get downvoted, talk bad about big G or the smurfs then you're fucked

I once mentionned that big G was saved by plot armor and his daddy E against Mortarion and I got downvoted straight to hell.

And what I said was fucking true.

Pelao

I literally have no idea how to navigate Reddit. The only times I end up there is when I Google something.
When I want to post (or shitpost) about one of my interests I do it on anonymous image boards. I still appreciate the order that a forum provides, which is why I also post here from time to time.

The main thing to be cautious about in regards to forums is echo chambers, accidentally contributing to one, and being caught in one. Yes, echo chambers can exist on reddit, but usually you could visit different echo chambers at any point in time on the site if you're bored of one, or even find subreddits without echo chambers since there are so many. When a forum becomes an echo chamber, you can't really enter a different topic and get different opinions. It just becomes the same users with the same opinions on different things.

Hoppa

Same shit really. Reddit’s just huge. Sometimes I’m surprised by how oddly specific some subreddits are

GymWolf

I was looking for information on the current gen of 3d printers. On Reddit, most of the activity was clustered around the subreddits for each major brand of printer. On the Bambu subreddit they would tell you that Bambu is the best and a revolution and all the others are ancient trash. It was so aggressive that it became highly questionable. On the Prusa sub they were mostly more balanced about the pros and cons of each but were also ignoring the price/performance ratios since Prusa fell behind on that, and of course everyone ultimately recommended Prusa there. But I’ve used Prusas and know that they’re solid and have good customer service.

On YouTube, literally 1 in 10 videos about these printers were not sponsored, and Bambu was clearly sending out their top end model to all the influencers large and small for free, and they would rave about it without fail after getting the $1500 new shiny box set up, after saying that getting it for free had no influence on their opinion of course. But almost all the Prusa mk4 videos were sponsored too.

The current state of things on the internet sucks. An enthusiast forum like GAF where we try to weed out shills and trolls and don’t accept payola will always be better to me. While most users are anonymous, you can still get a much better sense of character and reputation over time here.
What a nice speech, you should open your own forum.

TheMan

Neogaf is great but Reddit is vast with subreddits dedicated to almost anything, anything, you can think of. There are a lot of assholes there but if you read the room it’s usually easy to avoid getting flames. And in exchange there is so much useful info there if you know where to find it.

Lasha

Reddit is even crazier given how easy it is to buy influence. Farming karma is ridiculously easy. An industry exists around posting benign pics and soft sentiment to raise karma. The accounts are then cleaned using something like shreddit and repoulated with bulk content matching whatever profile you want. The tools available to admins are unable to capture the shift since profiles are only pulled when queried and not persisted by the providers.

Marketers, political groups, and nation states are all interested in buying accounts with good karma and the right mix of subreddits. Changing sentiment is pretty easy with only a handful of accounts under your control. That's before the paid influencers and other nonsense. Reddit is absolutely useless for any real sentiment outside of a few specialized subs.

Scotty W

Reddit is such a disappointment. I have been banned from nearly every major subreddit, and have even been warned for telling of an idiot mod who banned me.

Internet is saturated with shit. Sure, there are shills everywhere but it has been too time consuming to use as a major strategy.

Who is this hpt you keep talking about?

PSYGN

I don't even know how people put up with Reddit's awful interface and randomness

I like their new UI more than their last "new" UI, it seems quite a bit snappier. But they are doing a/b testing and I can only get it to load when logged out and seemingly randomly.

njEif1U.png

near

Gold Member
Navigating that site is awful. If I want to search for something on there, I Google *Insert question* + reddit, and sieve through the results. It also isn't structured in a way that facilitates healthy discussion. You will never catch me posting there.

Last edited:

NickFire

Reddit is great if you think a certain way and want others to agree with you. It might still have some solid specialized boards too. Just a guess though, and I'm not putting money on it.

I posted a reply on Reddit only once.

It was downvoted, and the replies to my reply questioned why my reply was downvoted. That was the end of my Reddit participation, now I soley use it for info aggregation.

Edit: the topic was X wing miniatures, hardly controversial.....

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Got banned for 7 days by being annoyed of people jumping through hops not to sight read music. Something about ‘welcoming community’.
Can’t wait for sheet music to be branded as ‘elitist’.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Anywhere where "shadowbanning" exists is a shithole. Youtube and reddit are the ones I use and the ones I know give an illusion free and open discussion, when in fact it's heavily censored. You can't expose people's bullshit and lies anymore, if someone gets butt hurt they just silence you.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Reading that they're going to start charging an exhorbenant amount for API keys soon which may kill all 3rd party apps. I use RIF (reddit is fun). If so, I think I'm done browsing there. Hope it creates a Digg moment for them as well.
(Especially if old.reddit goes away too)

Fuz

Banned
Reddit is the worst place on the net, so yeah.

A normie friend of mine has just discovered Reddit and over the weeks he’s slowly starting echoing some of the prevailing consensus there. Shit is scary. He’s 40.
Go slap him hard.
(Especially if old.reddit goes away too)
Yeah, that would be the end for me and I'd need to find another place to troll ask questions about stuff.
The new is a total piece of crap that I have no idea how it got approved.

Last edited:
Correction: This site is much better than reddit.......... as long as you dont post graphic comparisons of sony exclusives which dont portray them in a good light or you'll get a warning.

Sony games are off limits for criticism, noted...

Last edited:

Toons

Its alright.

Too big for its own good and way too easily becomes a hivemind.

But all social medias and message boards get that effect eventually.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I co-launched /r/Games and still currently run /r/gaming and /r/iPhone on reddit. After all the fuckery that's been going on, it might just be time to close stuff down... Anyone else reading this shitshow of an AMA with the CEO today? Not to bring reddit's drama to GAF, but holy shit, it's some next-level destruction.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I co-launched /r/Games and still currently run /r/gaming and /r/iPhone on reddit. After all the fuckery that's been going on, it might just be time to close stuff down... Anyone else reading this shitshow of an AMA with the CEO today? Not to bring reddit's drama to GAF, but holy shit, it's some next-level destruction.

I moderated several large subreddits with tens of millions of subscribers for years and I built some crazy intricate bots for subreddits like r/pewdiepiesubmissions, r/murderedbywords and r/dankmemes. Reddit came after me in the worst way for bots I made that integrated their moderation API with discord's API to create a set of cross-site features and moderation tools to do things reddit should have been doing instead of trying to turn themselves into a discord alternative. Stuff like democratizing moderation by requiring consensus on mod decisions to keep zealots from overmoderating. The admins accused me of several things I didn't do and banned all of my bots because they suspected me of sharing accounts with sitewide banned users, which was emphatically false since my bots required authentication of an active reddit account. The admins made my time on the site so miserable that I deleted my account in disgust.

All that said, I don't think reddit is doing the wrong thing by charging people who have created businesses on top of the reddit API for access. Reddit should have worked out a rev share with existing app creators, who should have to provide financial statements that prove how much money they earn. But there's no reason why apps like Apollo or RIF should be able to make the money they make while reddit foots the bill for backend functionality and data.

The reasons to shut things down on reddit have existed long before this. Of all of the things reddit has done in the past 5 years the API changes are one of the only things that actually makes sense.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
All that said, I don't think reddit is doing the wrong thing by charging people who have created businesses on top of the reddit API for access. Reddit should have worked out a rev share with existing app creators, who should have to provide financial statements that prove how much money they earn. But there's no reason why apps like Apollo or RIF should be able to make the money they make while reddit foots the bill for backend functionality and data.

The reasons to shut things down on reddit have existed long before this. Of all of the things reddit has done in the past 5 years the API changes are one of the only things that actually makes sense.
The controversy isn’t about charging for API access. It’s about how much they are charging. Their rate is unreasonable. Based on the traffic, it would cost the Apollo developer $20 million a year. Imgur charges $166 per 50 million API calls. Reddit wants $12,000. We’re talking two orders of magnitude higher. That is absurd.

This is why all the third party apps are shutting down.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The controversy isn’t about charging for API access. It’s about how much they are charging. Their rate is unreasonable. Based on the traffic, it would cost the Apollo developer $20 million a year. Imgur charges $166 per 50 million API calls. Reddit wants $12,000. We’re talking two orders of magnitude higher. That is absurd.

This is why all the third party apps are shutting down.
I know what the controversy is about. I've read the comments from the Apollo creator. That's why I said in my comment that reddit should have worked out a revenue share with the creators of existing apps instead of dumping these prices on them.

But I also don't feel bad for the creator of Apollo or any other app that is making money off of reddit's API. The guy isn't running that app as a hobby. He's running it as a business and he's paying zero dollars for content and hosting. Reddit is footing 100% of that bill on top of not making any ad revenue they would get from people using the terrible reddit app and terrible reddit website. He's being intentionally evasive when he talks numbers, making sure to not tell anyone how much money he was making off of reddit while playing up how much reddit is taking from him.

Reddit is a flaming pile of wokeshit. But you can have a tolerable experience if you stay out of large subs and stick to mainly smaller special interest subs. I don't know how many people actually used 3rd party apps to browse Reddit, that seems like a lot of work for a very small limited subset of really addicted people. I doubt this is going to hurt Reddit much, I'm sad to say. I would be happy if Reddit shut down tomorrow but these days they really are "too big to fail".

Top Bottom