• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is your "gaming budget"

I'm in that sweet spot between "have relatively stable career" and "oh crap, babies". So I'm enjoying that for the next year or two it lasts. Then it's on to the land of budgets.

void666

Banned
Usually i'll buy every AAA title. But lately i've been trying to control myself. I didn't buy FFXV and Nier... yet.

pmunk

I have generally purchased whatever I feel is worth $60 either by critical acclaim or personal interest. In 2017, I'm trying to reduce the amount of games I purchase at full price as I've found in the past that I'll get sucked into a game and have others sit there (e.g. BioShock remastered... haven't touched it but love that franchise so much that I bought it right away).

I will buy just about any Nintendo first party title at full price going forward now that I have a switch given their relative pricing stability.

noomi

Used to be a lot worse than now. I would buy everything for every system

Now I have to be very careful. Family, house, bills...etc.

I'll buy the games I still want, but look for sales, and try not to spend too much each month. Mostly PC & PS4 stuff now only.

Jacknapes

Mines cut down a lot in the last few years, especially with owning multiple consoles. Usually, it's on average a game a month. Mostly i just buy on the PS4, most of my Vita games are through PS+ and my 3DS games i wait on sales, unless it's something i really want to buy.

I buy some on the credit card, only because i want to improve my credit rating as i'm looking to get a house with my partner some time this year, if not early next year. I've literally just paid off my card this month, so it's all clear.

Next month, it's just Little Nightmares i'm buying on launch. Yooka Laylee i'm getting through Kickstarter, which i paid for last year some time.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I don't allocate a certain $$ per month for gaming, I instead just look at the big AAA releases coming and just buy them when they come out.

For the non AAA stuff, i'll usually buy titles that I missed while playing the AAA's a couple at a time and tell myself ill finish them before I buy anything else, but well....im sure we all know how that story ends lol

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

Vaev

Probably in the 800-1200 dollar range annually if there's a new console that year. Probably a few hundred without.

CHC

My gaming budget is like Putin's fortune.

When you actually go to count it, there's nothing there. But when it actually comes time to use it for something, I can always seem to find a nearly unlimited reservoir of cash that covers just that one purchase.

LKSmash

For games: I prefer sales but don't shy away from buying what I want.

For hardware(PC): lots and lots of deal hunting. planning a new build next year and already on the hunt for the parts I want at the lowest cost.

I'd say I'm prepared to spend $60 per month. Sometimes I spend more (last month was $120 between Horizon and Mass Effect), sometimes I spend nothing at all.

I get $80 a month to spend towards anything I want, no questions asked. Almost all of it goes towards games in some form or another. The rest of our budget goes toward bills and family expenses.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
At my peak, 4k+ games and 200+ consoles. You could see my purchases in the older what did you buy threads. But now it's all about pc, digital and Destiny.

I try to enjoy console launches as much as I can and splurge a bit for them.

I use GCU and Visa Checkout discounts at Best Buy when I can.

I pay more for exclusives and physical versions. I prefer physical versions because they offer more value to the consumer. And I generally enjoy having something on my shelf to look at and refer to.

If a Japanese company localizes a niche game in English, I don't get bent out of shape over paying full price. Though I will look for deals always.

For big budget western games I wait for bargain basement prices.

Down to $0 right now. Not from a lack of funds but interest. Guess 25 years of gaming caught up with me. All I enjoy ATM is Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing. Planning on a Switch but it depends on what's announced. A Metroid announcement would result in immediate purchase. Outside of that I'm content with my 2ds.

Kurrman

Neo Member
Now that I have steady income its more of a time thing. Like "Will I have time to play this". Being an adult sucks sometimes.

I have statistics on all my game related purchases since 2013 (in a neat excel spreadsheet with curves, graphs etc)

Have spent on average 17$ a month on Hardware and software combined. Always go for the best deals, is kind of half the enjoyment for me. Been alot of Vita gaming with games 5-10$ hence the low cost. This year only bought Street fighter V for 20$, Think I Will buy a year ps+ and thats it this year.

Have about 3 000 $ spendable income but Everything goes Into savings except those 17$ which gives me so much enjoyment :D

Teppic

I don't really need a budget for games. I might buy a few 40/50/60€ games every year. Sometimes a indie game I really like for 15/20€ Bundles cost me on average 20€ a month. I have 190€ in my Steam wallet to use after trading bundle games, selling crates and cards. I have several Kickstarter games I've already paid for that are coming out soon.

Hardware is a different issue. I need to save up for months to afford a single piece of hardware. I'm probably going to save up for VR next and that might take me ages to do. Switch might be a possible candidate too. Both are really too expensive to buy for me. I might get neither.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
As of now, 20$ on Puzzles and Dragon.
20$ for OverWatch.

Upcoming, I'd like to get GTAV some time this year.

I have a credit card that builds flight miles with a decent limit on it. Usually just buy everything day one that interests me on it, and buy older or used games with my own money. And I'll throw like $500-$700 a month on my credit card to make sure it doesn't max. Amazon Prime's 20% really helps, never buy new games anywhere else but there.

Don't really budget it out beyond that, which is probably kinda bad.

klier

I spent $360 on Zelda so that should give you an idea of how well I budget

I raise you $150 worth of Zelda related Amiibo

Seriously though, I am not trying to brag. I don't spend that much on games overall. But when I really like something, I tend to go all in.
Whatever, gaming is my hobby.

Buy everything used or on sale unless I can expense it for my job and then hope I have enough on my account to cover the $60 for a brand new game

I don't keep a strict budget for expenses, just for savings. For any purchases that are greater than $100 I'll save up over time, though - about $50 per paycheck until I hit the amount I need.

I broke that rule a little on Switch launch by buying an extra game + controller, but everything else - all the ridiculous hundreds of dollars I spent - was saved ahead of time. Gonna save up again for a second Switch for my wife so she can play Splatoon whenever she wants.

The exception is officially localized The Legend of Zelda products, which I'll impulse buy every time.

It's probably somewhere like $100 per month, averaged out over the year. Some months, like March 2017 or the holidays, are just nuts. Summer is pretty slow. Bare minimum, there's $15/month going toward FF14.

I try to keep it at about one game per month and if nothing strikes my fancy, just putting the ~$60 in savings for months where multiple games I want are released.

Didn't work for the start of 2017 though, not in a rush to get everything but still.

lazydom

I'm at that point where time is more of a premium than money. There would be no point me going out and buying every game I wanted on release, I'd never have time to play them.

Marjorine

I echo the time sentiment.

Where 20 year old me had time but could only afford a few games a month and one console, 40 year old me has every console available and a gaming PC and about 1/10th the free time with which to play them.

It's kind of cruel, now that I think about it.

entremet

It's rolled into an entertainment category, which includes many things. It's more intuitive than anything

I tried keep lists, but it was annoying.

pablito

No budget.

But unless there's a console release, or I'm upgrading my PC, I don't spend more than a few hundred a year.

Mifec

I don't ever have to worry about money again. So unlimited? Not that it matters since not enough games come out that interest me and I don't have a backlog.

Top Bottom