• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's the Pokken Controller?

Orayn

Someone in another thread about cheap PC controllers brought the Pokken controller for Wii U up recently and I found it kind of intriguing. It's very reasonably priced ($15 at Gamestop!), looks pretty well designed, and is apparently recognized as a generic USB controller on PC. Might be pretty nice for emulation and indies, a good compromise between ergonomics and not having extraneous stuff if you're just using it for 2D games.

pXxPMwl.jpg

sBM2q13.jpg

SFQ1QSA.jpg

"Why not use X instead" I probably already have whatever you're suggesting. I'm a controller geek and I don't have this one yet, I was just curious about the build quality, comfort, D-pad, etc.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why not use the 8bitdo snes30 instead?
Reviews seemed ok about pokken.
Only downside being the position of start button

No interest in the Pikachu version?

GAME-0016290.jpg

Same price.

I'm still super pissed they didn't release those 4 DL characters months ago especially as they haven't released any since and the earliest a version will show up Switch is this holiday but more likely next March.

Especially as I like the set up on Wii U of having a separate screen for local multiplayer instead of splitscreen on TV.

Orayn

What the, only one person reviewed that and the Pikachu edition?

It's a limited edition controller for an obscure game on an unpopular system and I think it came out several months after Pokken and the original controller.

No interest in the Pikachu version?

GAME-0016290.jpg

Same price.

I'm still super pissed they didn't release those 4 DL characters months ago especially as they haven't released any since and the earliest a version will show up Switch is this holiday but more likely next March.

Especially as I like the set up on Wii U of having a separate screen for local multiplayer instead of splitscreen on TV.

I was going to buy one of each, it'd make a nice little matching setup for couch co-op.

Seik

Banned
I like it, it's simple but it basically exists to give the real Pokken Arcade feeling, which it does.

I hope it'll be compatible if Pokken ever ends up on Switch though, would be a dumb omission if not.

WarpathDC

On a tangent, I would never want to play Pokken with this as grab and counter are super important.

The ZL/ZR placement is just dumb. Terrible design choice. Hori generally has great pads though so the build quality is probably pretty good. I own a HORI fightstick and like it, although I will be replacing the buttons with arcade grade buttons that are color coordinated and are more concave on the surface. The current buttons are super responsive, it's just more of a personal choice for me.

Miker

Also curious about this. The 8bitdo SFC30 is wonderful but a bit fiddly with Bluetooth. I wouldn't mind a solid wired controller with a good d-pad.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
fellow controller nerds: where are you guys storing these things?

my nightstand has a drawer that's just full of controllers and every time i open it i think there must be a better way....

It's a limited edition controller for an obscure game on an unpopular system and I think it came out several months after Pokken and the original controller.

I was going to buy one of each, it'd make a nice little matching setup for couch co-op.

Yeah, I have it. Kinda odd how just one reviewed both controllers since the game was out last year.

my nightstand has a drawer that's just full of controllers and every time i open it i think there must be a better way....

Have you considered using a shoe organizer you can put on a door?

Tangled wires between controllers won't happen, and it'll be easier to look for a specific controller without fumbling around

oneils

Tangled wires between controllers won't happen, and it'll be easier to look for a specific controller without fumbling around

Awesome. I need this. I have like 10 controllers lying around my office that I need to store. Thanks for the tip.

Orayn

Alright I'm pulling the trigger on two of these. Had to convince myself not to go totally overboard and get 4 for local multiplayer scenarios that will never happen.

WarpathDC

I do the same thing lol. It's perfect. I have like 20 controllers/accessories in there and it's great.

I saw the shoe organizer idea online a couple years back,and everyone on GAF made fun of me when I posted a picture of my controllers in the organizer

Orayn

Just got my pair because Gamestop shipped ridiculously fast.

Impressions:
  • Wonderful SNES style d-pad, curved at the edges and the amount of pressure needed to depress it is just right.
  • Great "poppy" face buttons, similar to Wii CCPro and Switch Pro Controller. Big, but not TOO big. Good spacing.
  • Grip is a bit off but I'll get used to it.
  • Lightweight, long USB cable

Overall this seems like a very good purchase, an absolute steal at $15 each.

schopaia

Just got my pair because Gamestop shipped ridiculously fast.

Impressions:
  • Wonderful SNES style d-pad, curved at the edges and the amount of pressure needed to depress it is just right.
  • Great "poppy" face buttons, similar to Wii CCPro and Switch Pro Controller. Big, but not TOO big. Good spacing.
  • Grip is a bit off but I'll get used to it.
  • Lightweight, long USB cable

Overall this seems like a very good purchase, an absolute steal at $15 each.

What games are you planning to play with it? I was considering it a while ago but couldn't think of any games at the time.

Also... did you find it works natively with anything? Hate having an extra program running to translate inputs..

Orayn

What games are you planning to play with it? I was considering it a while ago but couldn't think of any games at the time.

Also... did you find it works natively with anything? Hate having an extra program running to translate inputs..

It works as a generic DirectInput controller. I mostly got it for emulators but a fair number of Indies should still support it.

ASaiyan

Banned
Someone in another thread about cheap PC controllers brought the Pokken controller for Wii U up recently and I found it kind of intriguing. It's very reasonably priced ($15 at Gamestop!), looks pretty well designed, and is apparently recognized as a generic USB controller on PC. Might be pretty nice for emulation and indies, a good compromise between ergonomics and not having extraneous stuff if you're just using it for 2D games.
Wow, I'm flattered my suggestion culminated in you buying two of these! I like getting lots of different controllers too, and this one is pretty solid. The d-pad is a little mushier than I prefer, and the start and select buttons are oddly placed, but overall it is a nice little plug-and-play, especially for the price (I can't believe it's only $15 now, lol). I'd definitely recommend this for anyone looking to play 2D games on PC easily and cheaply.

the buttons and d-pad are incredible. the large shoulder buttons feel kind of flimsy in comparison to the rest of the controller. The grips are insanely huge. Like, way bigger in both directions than they appear in pictures. It's a comfortable controller, but it's not one that I plan to use often, just because it doesn't have that many buttons.

BTA

...I might steal this idea for controllers + cables, nice.

MetalDeer

I'd totally get one for fighting games on PC if they had just given it 6 face buttons instead of putting ZL and ZR with Start/Select.

Really confused with that design decision.

fernoca

I also stumbled on people recommending the Pokken controllers a few weeks ago for RetroPie.

Ordered a pair from Amazon at $15 each. And yep, they're perfect.

Duxxy3

I doubt I'll get Pokken for Switch, but it would be great if it worked with it.

edit: It will... sweet.

I don't own one, but I can say they should've had ZL/ZR up top with the bumpers, and a home button. Maybe LS/RS with the face buttons as well, but they might not be used in Pokken, so I can't defend that suggestion. Then depending on the d-pad quality, this could've been a perfect emulation controller for PC. These are just nitpicks, though. I see a lot of people mention them, so I'm sure what it does do, it gets right.

Type40

I have a dresser drawr of controllers and one of those storage ottoman foot stools.
65b6873e3f3c720570376cf572d53b42.jpg

Top Bottom