• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperloop One down to 10 Cities - Mexico City/Colorado Focus

NH Apache

Banned
News is a couple of days old, but couldn't find a thread

Verge - Hyperloop One picks 10 possible hyperloop routes around the world

Hyperloop One has announced 10 winning submissions in a long-running contest to find what it believes to be the best places to build the first hyperloop tracks in the world. Ten teams across five countries (Mexico, India, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada) were picked from the original 2,600 submissions, and the routes range in size from about 200 to nearly 700 miles, depending on the location.

In addition to the winners, Hyperloop One announced that it’s performing a feasibility study with the Colorado Department of Transportation that “examines transportation demand, economic benefits, proposed routes and potential strategies, regulatory environments and alignment with overall CDOT high-speed travel, rail and freight plans,” according to the company’s press release.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/14/16306800/hyperloop-one-routes-contest-us-india-uk

NYT - Hyperloop One Strikes Early-Stage Partnership With Colorado

WASHINGTON — Hyperloop One, an experimental transportation company that proposes to carry people at speeds of up to 700 miles per hour inside a system of tubes, announced its first partnership with a state government on Thursday.

The company and the Colorado Department of Transportation said they had agreed to study the feasibility of a 360-mile route that would connect Denver with Pueblo to the south and Cheyenne, Wyo., to the north.

But the joint study will be just the first step in what would be a long process before any of the 4.8 million Colorado residents such a system could serve would see it in action.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/technology/hyperloop-colorado.html

Excellent proposal video for Mexico City - Guadalajara loop
https://vimeo.com/234339126

Fact sheets, click to enlarge

bsQb7vY.jpg

9vhSRl3.jpg
Jjl8ejo.jpg
yypgzpw.jpg
aSvjx0G.jpg
juiR6Nf.jpg
yNtcGZl.jpg
RwCBaN8.jpg
T6ky7fq.jpg
RcuOVAW.jpg

Viewt

I'm not terribly well-versed on the practicality of these projects - do people think these programs have a decent shot at becoming real, stable fixtures in their regions? Asking sincerely, because I'd really love for that to be true. Having that kind of access to different metro areas across a state/region would be life-changing for so many people.

Ottaro

Dallas to Austin in 19 minutes would phenomenal.

I wonder if taking the hyperloop from Dallas to Houston by way of San Antonio will be faster the the Dallas-Houston highspeed rail if they both ever come to fruition.

Edit: But uh, 3 hours and 23 minutes to fly to Austin...? Is that including going through security and waiting around the airport for a couple hours or what?

NH Apache

Banned
I'm not terribly well-versed on the practicality of these projects - do people think these programs have a decent shot at becoming real, stable fixtures in their regions? Asking sincerely, because I'd really love for that to be true. Having that kind of access to different metro areas across a state/region would be life-changing for so many people.

I think there's significant expansion potential to smaller areas given the negligible time from point to point. As manufacturing goes on over time, you can lean up and reduce costs, thus making smaller pop places viable. 20+ years I would think, minimum.

nasax

The Texas route should be relatively easier compared to others, seeing as how flat the land is around here, and the amount of open space. It would make a great starter project.

Viewt

Are they padding the shit out of the flights counting time it takes at the terminals?

Yeah, these flight estimates are clearly taking security/disembarking into account for these travel times. Which is a little unfair considering that a similar apparatus/process will exist with these things. One would hope that it'd be more efficient, I guess.

What a wonder this would be if it actually worked, though. If someone was able to live in a rural area, but could reliably commute to a major metro, that would save a shitload of small towns while also opening up more affordable real estate for folks who don't mind living in the sticks.

Dyle

Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh?

What kind of market exists for such a random route? No amount of VC money will ever make that route profitable. This would be fantastic if it went up to Milwaukee and/or Madison, hit up Indianapolis or Ft. Wayne on the way, and ended at Philadelphia.

If the Colorado one happens, it will open up so many opportunities for me, job wise. To take a quick ride from Colorado Springs to Denver instead of an hour commute into the nightmare that is I-25 traffic would be incredible.

Ottaro

What a wonder this would be if it actually worked, though. If someone was able to live in a rural area, but could reliably commute to a major metro, that would save a shitload of small towns while also opening up more affordable real estate for folks who don't mind living in the sticks.

I really don't expect these things to have stops outside of the urban centers.

Bsigg12

If the Colorado one happens, it will open up so many opportunities for me, job wise. To take a quick ride from Colorado Springs to Denver instead of an hour commute into the nightmare that is I-25 traffic would be incredible.

I would hope it could be something that would allow for communities could grow around the line because trying to find a house right now is a nightmare.

I would love to be able to live in FoCo/Boulder and take this to DTC daily for work

Viewt

I really don't expect these things to have stops outside of the urban centers.

Oh, sure. I meant that as the ultimate expression of this kind of technology - where it's cheap/ubiquitous enough to the point that most decently-populated areas have a station within driving distance. That'd be one hell of an infrastructure.

Cmoooooon Columbus, would be nice to have some form of mass transit around here. Plus wont have to make the 5 hour drive to Chicago anymore.

Socivol

These times are amazing but I wonder:
1. What would the cost of creating these routes be?
2. What would the cost be for passengers?

corin7

Neo Member
Anything to fix the traffic nightmare in Denver.

Really everywhere to be honest these days. I have spent equal parts of my adult life in Denver and San Diego with a lot of trips to LA. Traffic is a goddamn nightmare. I live 30 miles from work in SD right now and regularly spend an hour and half in my car each way to and from work.

Generate

Banned
Doesn't hyperloop require a pressurized tube system? How will they pressurize hundreds of miles of large tubing? What happens during a power outage? How long will it actually take to pressurize the tubes?

What kind of market exists for such a random route? No amount of VC money will ever make that route profitable. This would be fantastic if it went up to Milwaukee and/or Madison, hit up Indianapolis or Ft. Wayne on the way, and ended at Philadelphia.

I don't get this either...

You would think they would do a route with an eventual logical expansion in mind, but instead we're going from Cheyenne to Colorado? What?

It seems to me they're focusing on where land is cheap and population is lower for a POC.

Edit: Oh, it seems Columbus, Ohio was the random sponsor of the route you mentioned. Still makes no sense over Indianapolis. And I agree, expanding to Madison with a goal of making it to the Twin Cities would make way more sense to me.

Xenus

It'd be easy to connect it to NY, ST Louis, DC and probably Philly. It'd be the central nexus area of the Eastern US, But the route itself is kinda bleh. Yeah unless you like deep dish I guess..

Top Bottom