• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am meeting a Trump supporter this week. Help.

mjp2417

Banned
Great first post. The anti-Trump voters hate here is incredible. If you voted for Trump you're automatically the scum of Earth period. It's just not fair.

giphy.gif

JordanN

Banned
Great first post. The anti-Trump voters hate here is incredible. If you voted for Trump you're automatically the scum of Earth period. It's just not fair.

I dare you to name one positive thing about Donald Trump as a person. Just one.

I'd really like a Trump supporter to sit down and elaborate when they claim they don't really like Trump but they think Clinton was worse. Like I want specifics not just vague "but her emails" bullshit rhetoric thats being regurgitated from whatever propaganda show they are watching or listening to but the informed awful specifics they truly feel made her worse.
Many people still hold Clinton responsible for Benghazi. Many others also just viewed her as another slimy career politician, whereas Trump was an outsider breaking the mold. It's not a terrible sentiment, politics could desperately use some new blood, but unfortunately we got Trump as the outsider and not someone decent like a Bill Gates or Elon Musk type.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
For the people asking for details.

I went to her house where he is staying. I met him and after introductions were done we shot the shit. Talking about what he had done in england so far.
Maybe 2 minutes into the conversation he brings up the london bridge attacks out of nowhere and asked me if i felt safe with all the dangerous people being let into the country.
I responded with the fact that the attackers from my understanding were born and radicalised in england. He was not impressed with that answer and proceeded to rant about muslims and their awful religion.

I looked at my friend who was visably embaressed but stayed silent.
I changed the subject, tried to get to know who he was.

This is the thing that shook me. My friend is fully capable of looking after herself and making her own decisions. But as she has only had the one relationship she is inexperienced to things. Furthermore they are both dutifully religious. No sex before marriage.

She is 22. He is 39. I'm not saying age gapped relationships cant work/are weird. I'm saying in this particular incident this was a clear case of manipulation from him on a girl who unfortunately doesnt know better.

After maybe an hour its became very clear to me that he was agitating himself. So I dropped my little bombshell on him that I was a semi practicing muslim. Whenever I needed spiritual guidance I would go to a mosque. Not a church. He said I was a liar because I was white and white people cant be muslims.
I told him he was dumb as shit because intelligent people cant be nazis.

So began a shouting match.

My friend told me I had ruined his holiday. I said how could she love him, she said he has valid points. I reaffirmed with her that this man was a facebook post away from attacking a public place. She said it was overexaggeration, and that it was time for me to leave. I asked her straight up if she thought muslims are bad, she nodded her head to which i told her they belonged together then.

I am very saddened by this. I never knew she had such hate in her. I'm not sure what to think out of all this. I knew it was coming. Anyone with any sense could predict this outcome, I must be mad trying to see if it was all a misunderstanding. Guess i'm the naive one.

I say this with all due respect to you, but are there feelings you harbor for this woman that are maybe making this more of an emotional reaction than it needs to be? Obviously this dude is a giant bigoted asshole, but I just don't understand why you'd even agree to sit down and hang out with someone like that unless you thought you weren't going to end up in a heated political argument. Going in with the foreknowledge that you will be arguing from different sides of the political spectrum seems a little self-destructive to me unless you were trying to prove to your friend that she should not be with this man (and maybe instead should be with you?).

All that said, sorry that things turned out this way for you. Sounds like a pretty shitty evening to be sure.

Ekai

Given my rights, the rights of those I care about, the rights of millions of others and the planet itself are all in danger because of Republican votes, yes.

I say this with all due respect to you, but are there feelings you harbor for this woman that are maybe making this more of an emotional reaction than it needs to be? Obviously this dude is a giant bigoted asshole, but I just don't understand why you'd even agree to sit down and hang out with someone like that unless you thought you weren't going to end up in a heated political argument. Going in with the foreknowledge that you will be arguing from different sides of the political spectrum seems a little self-destructive to me unless you were trying to prove to your friend that she should not be with this man (and maybe instead should be with you?).

All that said, sorry that things turned out this way for you. Sounds like a pretty shitty evening to be sure.

Nah. I'm happily married. Truth be told i don't have many friends. The ones i have are ones i made over an extended period of time. I really didnt want to lose this friendship for that reason.

JordanN

Banned
I'm not talking about judging Trump, I'm talking about people who voted for him, totally different things.

It's the same to me.

When Trump said it's ok to assault women because you're rich, what did the Trump voter do? They went straight to the polls and made him more powerful. They all share the same blood on their hands.

Boylamite

It's completely fair. Trump voters can go fuck themselves.

You know what's not fair? Watching this orange fuckwit escalate nuclear war and pull out of climate change agreements... you know, shit that affects all countries.

I'm not talking about judging Trump, I'm talking about people who voted for him, totally different things.

You vote for someone who reflects some of your beliefs. They are not Trump obviously, but they supported his rhetoric and they are to blame here in putting him in power. As for the OP, there is no convincing a Nazi. If you want to have a good time avoid politics(might be impossible). If I were you I would cut off your friend for accepting a nazi as life partner. It's pretty fucked up and it shows how much she cars about people in general.

RRockman

Banned

My problem with that though is that by voting for him would mean that despite his rude, vulgar, and manbaby type actions that he has regularly displayed prior to the election, that the person who voted for Trump actually thought he was still fit to run a country.

I will lose all respect for Trump voters specifically for this reason.

Ponn

Banned
Many people still hold Clinton responsible for Benghazi. Many others also just viewed her as another slimy career politician, whereas Trump was an outsider breaking the mold. It's not a terrible sentiment, politics could desperately use some new blood, but unfortunately we got Trump as the outsider and not someone decent like a Bill Gates or Elon Musk type.

See i've heard the "outsider" rhetoric before and even that doesn't make sense. Business people, especially of that stature are well aware and run in the exact same crowds as the politicians and with them. As we are seeing with this ongoing Russian investigation. When people argue that politicians are corrupt, or taking money, who the hell do they think they are taking the money from? People like Trump and his friends. When exactly did business people get more trustworthy than politicians? And when he started talking about draining the swamp people knew what was coming, and guess what, he did exactly what people knew he was going to.

So no, i don't buy the outsider thing one bit. It feels like something sold to that group for them to just repeat. If its was some small town nobody joe schmoe maybe I could buy the outsider thing but Trump? No, outsider my ass.

And if these people cared so much about the lives lost in Benghazi they wouldn't be cheering Trump on to rush to a war with NK.

Nah. I'm happily married. Truth be told i don't have many friends. The ones i have are ones i made over an extended period of time. I really didnt want to lose this friendship for that reason.

The fact she accepted him as a nazi should have been a a huge red flag. Regardless, you are better off believe me. You will find other worthy friends eventually.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

ah, I gotcha. Well, not all friendships were meant to be. At this point, I am wondering why your friend wanted you to be there if it was so obvious you and the dude would butt heads like this. Was she trying to convince you that Islam is dangerous or something? The whole situation stinks.

sflufan

Banned
Maybe the OP could alert the authorities that a genocide advocate is present in the country and try to get the guy deported?

Hell, that would be poetic justice for a Trump supporter, wouldn't it?

I'd really like a Trump supporter to sit down and elaborate when they claim they don't really like Trump but they think Clinton was worse. Like I want specifics not just vague "but her emails" bullshit rhetoric thats being regurgitated from whatever propaganda show they are watching or listening to but the informed awful specifics they truly feel made her worse.

Well, for many of my family members, their justification for their scorn towards Clinton is a mixture of emails, Benghazi, and other regurgitated garbage thrown at Clinton throughout her long political history. This always made me unhappy, but it's literally their (garbage) opinions.

Basically, their brainwashed by republican pundits.

See i've heard the "outsider" rhetoric before and even that doesn't make sense. Business people, especially of that stature are well aware and run in the exact same crowds as the politicians and with them. As we are seeing with this ongoing Russian investigation. When people argue that politicians are corrupt, or taking money, who the hell do they think they are taking the money from? People like Trump and his friends. When exactly did business people get more trustworthy than politicians? And when he started talking about draining the swamp people knew what was coming, and guess what, he did exactly what people knew he was going to.

So no, i don't buy the outsider thing one bit. It feels like something sold to that group for them to just repeat. If its was some small town nobody joe schmoe maybe I could buy the outsider thing but Trump? No, outsider my ass.

And if these people cared so much about the lives lost in Benghazi they wouldn't be cheering Trump on to rush to a war with NK.
You make a good point. I doubt too many people looked that far into it and just assumed 'not a politician' = outsider. Hopefully the next time an 'outsider' comes into play people look real good at them to make sure they actually are an outsider, if that's something they value.

She will either learn the hardway and end up divorced in a few years, or she will be indoctrinated into his view of the world. Although, maybe she has some of the same beliefs and you just didnt know until being with him emboldened her.

Either way, you can't choose who your friends date, even if you feel they are the scum of the earth, which in this case I'd say you're right.

She chose this guy over your friendship, and that sucks, but there's not much you can do from your end.

For the people asking for details.

I went to her house where he is staying. I met him and after introductions were done we shot the shit. Talking about what he had done in england so far.
Maybe 2 minutes into the conversation he brings up the london bridge attacks out of nowhere and asked me if i felt safe with all the dangerous people being let into the country.
I responded with the fact that the attackers from my understanding were born and radicalised in england. He was not impressed with that answer and proceeded to rant about muslims and their awful religion.

I looked at my friend who was visably embaressed but stayed silent.
I changed the subject, tried to get to know who he was.

This is the thing that shook me. My friend is fully capable of looking after herself and making her own decisions. But as she has only had the one relationship she is inexperienced to things. Furthermore they are both dutifully religious. No sex before marriage.

She is 22. He is 39. I'm not saying age gapped relationships cant work/are weird. I'm saying in this particular incident this was a clear case of manipulation from him on a girl who unfortunately doesnt know better.

After maybe an hour its became very clear to me that he was agitating himself. So I dropped my little bombshell on him that I was a semi practicing muslim. Whenever I needed spiritual guidance I would go to a mosque. Not a church. He said I was a liar because I was white and white people cant be muslims.
I told him he was dumb as shit because intelligent people cant be nazis.

So began a shouting match.

My friend told me I had ruined his holiday. I said how could she love him, she said he has valid points. I reaffirmed with her that this man was a facebook post away from attacking a public place. She said it was overexaggeration, and that it was time for me to leave. I asked her straight up if she thought muslims are bad, she nodded her head to which i told her they belonged together then.

I am very saddened by this. I never knew she had such hate in her. I'm not sure what to think out of all this. I knew it was coming. Anyone with any sense could predict this outcome, I must be mad trying to see if it was all a misunderstanding. Guess i'm the naive one.

Goddamn, every single sentence of this post is making me fucking seethe right now.

YoshikageKiraFingernailGrowth.gif

Big Nikus

You have all the friends you need on GAF <3
Congrats for trying to reason with an asshole, I don't have that patience anymore.

Hey man, if you need to talk I'm here and I'm sure all of GAF is too.

Fuck this asshole and your friend, they are horrible people I mean I read the update about them and when you mentioned fucking Genocide.

I mean really dude, that and they treated you like shit because they have no interpretation of an actual religion outside of propaganda and ignorance...like a lot of people.

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

If you voted for him to represent the country, clearly that means you're okay with how he is as a person, which means you're the same kind of person.

No one is going to vote for someone that is nothing like them or doesn't believe what they believe

As someone who absolutely despises Trump and admittedly judges people who voted for him, there are people that voted for him in spite of his beliefs because they felt that Hilary Clinton was worse. People like pro-lifers, or those that believed he would lower taxes. There are people who thought, "this dude is crazy but it's not like the government would allow him to do most of the things he's spewing on the campaign trail, as opposed to Hillary who is an experienced conniving politician." And there are some who just voted just because he was from their party.

I think it's absolutely foolish, but I think labeling people like this as nazis rather than idiots does more to hurt the credibility of those opposed to Trump than help them.

Azerare

could just talk like actual people instead of having to debate those that have different views?

Why do you feel it necessary to go on the political attack/debate stance straight away?
First post is very solid. Consider this if you haven't already.

mid83

Not every interaction with somebody needs to be based on politics. You are missing out on countless potential relationships with others if you refuse to associate with those who disagree with you politically or upon meeting said individual your plan to attempt to debate or attack them for those differing views. Political views/ideology is only a small part of most people's lives or identity, so it really isn't going to do much for building relationships with others if right off the bat you want to jump on somebody regarding politics.

mjp2417

Banned
This man publically calls for the mass genocide of muslims

Not every interaction with somebody needs to be based on politics. You are missing out on countless potential relationships with others if you refuse to associate with those who disagree with you politically or upon meeting said individual your plan to attempt to debate or attack them for those differing views. Political views/ideology is only a small part of most people's lives or identity, so it really isn't going to do much for building relationships with others if right off the bat you want to jump on somebody regarding politics.

blank-stare-mike-woodson.gif

I really feel like Trump people understand what they voted for and who they support. Even if they don't, it still hurts everyone who Trump is against all the same, which is most people on the planet regardless of color.

So this empathy for people who are supposedly too stupid to know they're supporting our downfall... nah. They knew and they voted for it, against anyone that isn't like them because that's how Trump campaigned.

I mean, if you're trying to say "not everyone who voted for Trump is a piece of shit"... well, this thread is an odd place to do it, because in this case the titular Trump supporter turned out to be a total piece of shit.

Trump ran an exclusively white nationalist campaign. ANYONE that supported his messages and voted for him is ether a white nationalist, or is cool with it.

If you're not writing off T***p supporters and cutting them cleanly out of your life, you're doing it wrong.

They deserve no sympathy, no kindness and no coddling. They're toxic, deranged freaks and the onus is on them to get their shit together on their own.

Top Bottom