• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what you've heard, watched or read. PLAY DARK SOULS 2 before you die

Toxi

Banned
Dark Souls 2 is such an uneven game when it comes to story and atmosphere.

Like the Shaded Woods looks like shit and has some half-assed story elements about Seath's experiments being there and there are a bunch of random curse jars sitting around for no reason and why is there ANOTHER forest area...

But then there's that foggy part where the trees moan and call invisible enemies to attack you. It's such a tense and freakish moment, where you're wondering "What the hell is in the fog, what's that sound, oh God what just attacked me?" It's a really effective section for me.

Davey Cakes

You know what? I love the series and this is the only entry I haven't even tried. Next time it goes on sale on Steam I'm gonna pick it up.
Seriously, keep an eye out. Check the Humble Store as well. I got SotFS for $10 there which is an INSANE value considering the abundant (albeit uneven) content.

The movement is fucking weird and the hitboxes are off. Also the roll doesn't work like it does in literally every other Souls game.

Honestly this was the game's biggest offense for me. It didn't feel good to play. I could get over the other weaknesses of the game if it just FELT like the others.

👏🏼FUCK 👏🏼WHAT 👏🏼YOU 👏🏼HEARD 👏🏼DARK 👏🏼SOULS 👏🏼II 👏🏼IS 👏🏼THE 👏🏼🅱️EST 👏🏼SOULS 👏🏼GAME

Toxi

Banned
Also, while talking about Dark Souls 2, I have to give kudos to one of the most powerful scenes in the series: Meeting Vendrick.

You're feeling high and mighty after beating Velstadt, start walking down the hall and then you see something walk past the doorway to the next room as the first piano notes play. And then you walk in and see... That.

Ferr986

All Souls games are worth playing because they're all good games.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Hissing Sid

Playing this ATM.

Having just come from a playthrough of Bloodborne I had to go through some play-style adjustments (Getting using to a shield and ranged combat again). However, now I'm settled in the game is a blast.

I actually prefer the locations and enemies over DS1. Probably sacrelige but I don't care, the envrironments and creature designs are fab. Gameplay seems to be a bit more floaty than the first but I think it still plays well.

I'd definitely recommend the game, especially at the current low price.

Still think Bloodborne is the best of the souls games though.

jviggy43

If you want more souls and have played through the rest of the series (D1, D3, Demon, BB) then yeah play DS2. Is it something you need to experience before death? Na.

It's the prettiest of their games imo (artistically, environmentally) but also the... weirdest? And not the good weird like Bloodborne is. I mean the kind of weird where you trek across bridges over an ocean to a tower, descend the tower WELL below sea level, and then come out... at sea level. Then continue venturing down below sea level through caves, only to come out... at sea level again.

So while most Souls games have this amazing feeling of the world being connected geographically and being able to work out where you are in relation to all the other locations, Dark Souls 2 is just a jumbled collection of locations that make absolutely no sense in relation to each other and never feel like they fit. Maybe that was a deliberate goal? I definitely didn't appreciate it.

HYDE

Banned
Counter argument: Don't waste your time. Play Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne instead.

Then when you're done and feel like playing something similar, but not quite as good, play Dark Souls 2.

It's the prettiest of their games imo (artistically, environmentally) but also the... weirdest? And not the good weird like Bloodborne is. I mean the kind of weird where you trek across bridges over an ocean to a tower, descend the tower WELL below sea level, and then come out... at sea level. Then continue venturing down below sea level through caves, only to come out... at sea level again.

So while most Souls games have this amazing feeling of the world being connected geographically and being able to work out where you are in relation to all the other locations, Dark Souls 2 is just a jumbled collection of locations that make absolutely no sense in relation to each other and never feel like they fit. Maybe that was a deliberate goal? I definitely didn't appreciate it.
Maybe they were foreshadowing DS3.

Maybe not.

Audioboxer

Dark Souls 2 has a massive amount of content, especially so with the DLC.

It took a little hit in quality, area interconnecting/map connections are dumb/don't make sense, and had some shitty gameplay decisions (weapon durability), but it's a big game with plenty of content/build diversity/co-op opportunities.

Some fans give it a bit too hard of a time. The 60FPS edition on consoles is superb as well.

Went into it completely blind and chose the covenant that made it harder. Didn't know what it did at first but chuckled when I finished and read it basically kindles every bonfire making all enemies harder. Yeah, took a good few months with limited gaming time. Probably my second favourite behind Demons Souls. Actually, maybe it's a toss up with Bloodborne for 2. Don't think anything will shake playing Demons for the first time after importing it and knowing even less about the game/gameplay. The Nexus is still my favourite hub

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i would suggest everyone to at least give it a try if you enjoyed the others. what's the worst that could happen? you hate it, you're out of a few $ and can move onto DS3 or Bloodborne. It's not a bad game but if you had played DS1 and got excited for a sequel i can see why DS2 would be a disappointment. if you just take it as it is and don't compare it to the others then it's an enjoyable game.

DS2 is still my most played Soulsborne game. Bloodborne only beats it because i've played it multiple times. DS2 has its flaws but i'm so glad I didn't listen to everyone who hated on it because then i'd have missed out on a good game.

T8SC

Played it, got bored. Like all other Dark Souls games, massively overhyped on GAF made me expect more. Ruined it. I blame GAF.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Played it, got bored. Like all other Dark Souls games, massively overhyped on GAF made me expect more. Ruined it. I blame GAF.

maybe you shouldn't buy things just because everyone else likes it. if we all told you to jump off a bridge, would you?

Szadek

Nah, it sucks. For instance if I include the run ups,I don't think that the game has a single good boss fight in the main game. They are OK at best, at worst they make me wish I was fighting Bed of Chaos instead.
At least that one has an easy exploit.
Whenever someone tries to drag Dark Souls 2 I just assume that they didn't have the skillz to beat it.
I beat the game and I still think that it's garbage. Even the dlcs are only great if you ignore the terrible co-op areas.

It was ok, maybe even kind of good.

Did anyone feel like there was an overuse of poison in terms of traps and enemies? It felt cheap because of how prevalent it was.

Laputa_94

I think personally Dark Souls 1 should be the one people make sure to play before they die. Though I suppose it depends on what your going for since I will stand by the point that 1 has the best story, characters, and themes. However 2 is probably the better game to play, but thats about it. I have yet to play 3 myself yet though since I don't really care to see what nonsense of a plot it has, and am waiting for it to hit a rock bottom price.

Altazor

DLC is better than the base game. Shulva/Dragon Sanctum and Eleum Loyce are amazing.

Fuck Frigid Outskirts though. Oh, fuck that place.

robotuw

I played it before I died....I wish I had waited.

Nah it's OK. "Worst of the Souls games" is still a good place to be.

Wamb0wneD

Whenever someone tries to drag Dark Souls 2 I just assume that they didn't have the skillz to beat it.

Whenever someone tries to act like DS2 is on par with the rest of the games I just assume they don't have a clue what good leveldesign, boss variety, enemy design without endless stamina or even remotely accurate hitboxes are.

Counter argument: Don't waste your time. Play Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne instead.

Demon's is a much bigger waste of time. 5-1 and 5-2 are worse than everything in 2+Lost Izalith, Bed of Chaos, Crystal Caves and everything else people like to complain about in those games

The only one you truly "need to play before you die" is 1 tbh. The rest are just there to calm your addiction, DS2 is probably the best at that since it's a huge and varied game that excels at the RPG part

Heartfyre

I love Dark Souls II, but I still think it's in the middle-ground of the Soulsborne games. There are better ones, and there are worse ones.

And everyone who reads this post will think differently about what is in each category, with some disputing the statement outright.

SJRB

Gold Member
No thanks, I'd rather just die.

Dark Souls 2 was a disappointment across the board and I strongly disliked almost everything about it. The bizarro area layout and how its interconnections make zero sense are probably my biggest peeves with this game. Just bizarre flow that's all over the place.

The Majula theme is incredible though, I'll give it that.

Mossybrew

These games aren't for everyone. Played maybe 20 hours or so of Demon's Souls before I quit, gave Dark Souls another try and played probably a similar amount of time. I wanted to like the series, but ultimately while I enjoy the atmosphere and style of the games, they are just too tedious and frustrating to maintain my interest for long. The death penalty, the repetition of respawning enemies, the precise and technical nature of the combat, the difficulty of the bosses, honestly I just don't like these gameplay systems.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Souls 2 is better than Dark Souls 1.

There, I said it.

DS1 had a great first half, but its final half devolved into awful design and repetition.

Arkanius

Rat Covenant for life.
So many good moments taking care of my dungeon and killing people in it.

Most of the time I just stayed back, looking at my enemies dying against my rats that were leveled up to NG+++ levels.

Fun stuff

My favorite Souls game. So much goddamn stuff to do! Makes my imagination run wild whenever I play through as a new character. Some might say “quantity over quality”, but I had more fun exploring this game compared to DS3. Also the only game in the series to actually do something interesting in New Game Plus instead of just bumping up enemy HP.

Dark Souls 2 is better than Dark Souls 1.

There, I said it.

DS1 had a great first half, but its final half devolved into awful design and repetition.

DS2 is like the opposite, the game only gets good after you beat the Four Frees (or whatever the fuck they're called, they all fucking suck except Lost Sinner)

Not sure how one level (Lost Izalith) makes an entire half of a game have awful design and repetition but I'll just assume you didn't play the game. Assuming you mean the tutorial boss showing up again? Which is hilarious considering how many times Pursuer's stupid ass shows up in SotFS.

kewlmyc

Still find the hurtboxes to be the worst in the series easily. Way to many deaths felt unearned in bosses.

Also I can't unsee how bizarre the world is laid out anymore after a video pointed it out. How you go from a poison swamp, up an elevator, to a castle filled with lava is beyond me.

Top Bottom