• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played 3 hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda - Thoughts so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

I want to read about performance on OG PS4 before I decide to jump in. I mean, I'm definitely jumping in, but there are games I've missed and I'd probably prefer to play them first. Also, ME tends to consume a lot of time and I don't think I'll have it by next week when it comes out.

Nice impressions there. I'm interested in this game a lot but have some serious questions specifically how well it runs on base PS4 since I dumbly decided to skip PC version to play with friends in MP this time around. I hope that's not a mistake.

Also funny to read this thread where some users have the vibe it's not negative impressions that they expect so clearly OP's opinion is wrong no matter what. I can't help but wonder if the GAF community at times can have specifically hyperbolic skewed perceptions toward how bad certain companies/devs games are without even playing them first. At times, it almost feels like you guys specifically pick certain games out you want to fail. Can sometimes be difficult to sift through the hyperbole and valid concerns. Just an observation not saying all are like that but some definitely are like this. A lot of you do have valid criticisms that I appreciate reading about to help inform me.

Don't know. Just hoping it's not a technical poop fest on PS4 and Bioware is not known for good technical aspects in their games. Everything else I've seen so far shows me I'll enjoy the game. Question: Is the day 1 patch already live for those having slowdown issues? I'm wondering if that will fix anything and just how big that patch will be since this game basically went gold a month ahead of release. Starting to get nervous about all the slowdown I've heard about making me wonder if I'm going to regret getting it on PS4.

TI82

Banned
More worried about those recommended PC specs, thankfully with Origin Access I can give it a shot first.

branny

Believe it or not, some of the people that aren't conpletely sold on the game yet actually want it to be good. ME1 is the only RPG I've beaten like 14 times. I don't like ME2 or ME3 nearly as much, but I still consider myself a fan of the franchise. The same can be said with Dragon Age for me—I played through DA:O like 4-5 times but wouldn't do the same with DA2 or DA:I even though they do have some bright spots like DA2's political setup and an increased focus on party member interactions as the games go on.

It's great to read early ME:A impressions, especially from someone who has enjoyed what he's played so far, but that shouldn't deter people from still voicing their concerns or being critical of glowing feedback. It's all opinions, anyway.

In what? Making boring sidequests and mmo exploration? I replayed it in January.

DA:I could have been great if they, like I kind of mentioned before, stayed away from world ending threats. It would have been much better with a story of political maneuvering and religion. Trying to force your way onto the world stage through politics, warfare, and religion on top of the mage vs. templar conflict would have been super cool instead of fighting another purely evil dude.

Yeah, no offense OP, but you seem a bit too close to this game.

It's hard to take any of your impressions seriously.

This is kind of how I feel. Shinobi is a good guy but he has links to Bioware folk and has been probably the biggest proponent of this game on the forum. I feel like his opinion would be a little too coloured compared to where I would be coming at this game.

I only read a little bit to avoid any spoilers but it sounds pretty good.

Though to be honest, this is gonna be a 40-50 hours long RPG, so 3 hours is not really that much. My first 15-20 hours in DA:I were really good, until I realized that the whole game was designed like a big MMO-style grind.

Not saying that ME:A will be the same (hopefully it won't), just that 3 hours is not that long when it comes to judging how good or bad is a game in this genre.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That gif of the white hair lady is pretty good. Hope the rest is good as well.

1. I love how Sparrow is your avatar, she is bae and Twinblast's new buff makes me so happy.

2. I agree re: Ability Drain's Ryder: she's stunning! Facial animations look on point as well for a CC creation, can't wait to dive into this CC now (although, it's looking a little limited...but meh, face scans will do that I guess).

lumzi23

These are my main fears, perfectly summarised, and the reason I'll be reading a LOT of reviews before buying this game.

Something that's been REALLY bothering me ever since I played Mass Effect 2 and immediately felt like I was going through the motions is this over-reliance on the "Bioware structure" and how pretty much everyone has been willing to look past it for years, critics and gamers alike. I feel like we're finally getting to the point where critics are not going to let it slide much longer, but for the most part gamers are still oblivious to the dated systems and flaws, many of which are so obvious that most people don't even notice them.

I've already seen one of my biggest Bioware pet peeves in a gameplay stream of Andromeda: player calls down a drop pod interface in the wild, used for various functions like changing loadouts. Uses said drop pod to switch out one of their squad mates (Liam) for the Turian squad mate instead. Liam vanishes, Vetra takes his place. WHY ARE WE STILL DOING THIS!? How about instead of sodding off back to the Normandy 2.0 you remain useful and we make this a four man team? How about everyone comes along instead of two thirds of my squad mates twiddling their thumbs on board the ship while Ryder/Shepard and a mere two other squaddies engage in a mission of such importance that literally the entire galaxy is hinging on its success!?

I mean... fuck. It gets to me waaaay more than it should, and I know a lot of people say "gameplay trumps immersion", but for a good developer this REALLY shouldn't be a binary choice. They're not restricted by hardware that can't render more than three squadmates on screen at a time anymore, or process all of their AI simultaneously. I swear to god they're so stuck in their "Bioware structure" rut that they've become completely incapable of considering a game design that moves things forwards for once. Part of me really hopes this game gets roasted for relying on this crutch, because it's becoming pretty clear to me that until Bioware gets that crutch pulled out from under them and cracked over their collective heads they aren't going to let it go.

I think it is really ridiculous to have a third person action game have 6 - 9 people following you on a mission. And even if it is not name ONE game where it has been done before you call it a 'Bioware Crutch." How would it even work? Heck instead of just your main team why not turn this into Total War and have a whole army at your back.

I think I heard that Andromeda is using a system where you can't control your squad (I think I heard that) so maybe in that situation in might work but I can't think it working in any situation where you do control you squad. Besides it is not to unusual or unrealistic to have small away teams ala Stargate SG1 even in a situation where the whole galaxy/world is at stake.

You claim that Bioware is stagnant but if you look at things one of the biggest complaints levied against Bioware (even by me regarding their stuff after kotor) is that their games are not like previous ones. "ME3/2 is not like ME1." "DA:I/2 Is not like DA:O." "SWTOR/Jade Empire is not like Kotor." Clearly they have changed things atleast in some ways.

This is kind of how I feel. Shinobi is a good guy but he has links to Bioware folk and has been probably the biggest proponent of this game on the forum. I feel like his opinion would be a little too coloured compared to where I would be coming at this game.

I get where you guys are coming from here and understand it. I see it a little different though. I want to hear it from the perspective of a real ME fan especially from someone like Shinobi. His past speaks for itself he's honest about his opinions and I don't think I have any reason to question his motivations here. I want to hear it from a ME fan because to me, if the game does not feel like Mass Effect they'll be the first to tell you it's NOT a Mass Effect game. Their is no blind perception there when you're disappointed as you play so you lie to yourself.

That's how I see it at least. All I care about is if this game is a ME game, does it have any major technical problems and how good is it compared to previous ME games? If it's better than all, then, well, I have nothing to complain about. Good enough for me.

lumzi23

1. I love how Sparrow is your avatar, she is bae and Twinblast's new buff makes me so happy.

2. I agree re: Ability Drain's Ryder: she's stunning! Facial animations look on point as well for a CC creation, can't wait to dive into this CC now (although, it's looking a little limited...but meh, face scans will do that I guess).

1. I just like the look of the character.

2. Yeah that was a great custom character.

Eolz

This. Slightly reads like damage control and like it's avoiding some parts of the game that might have issues.

That said, still worth trying the Origin Access demo of course. Just not worth preordering yet, after all the stuff they've pulled in the past, and are still pulling in marketing material weeks away from release.

This. Slightly reads like damage control and like it's avoiding some parts of the game that might have issues.
I don't understand how it reads like damage control...I thought I was fairly thorough on what I experienced and took notice of.

What issues do you think I'm avoiding?

I think it is really ridiculous to have a third person action game have 6 - 9 people following you on a mission. And even if it is not name ONE game where it has been done before you call it a 'Bioware Crutch." How would it even work? Heck instead of just your main team why not turn this into Total War and have a whole army at your back.

I don't even need them all right there with me, I just need to know they're contributing somehow. That could be sniper classes taking high points nearby to assist in combat, tech classes providing intel and surveillance from the ship to my omnitool, stealth classes scouting ahead to provide info etc. They don't all need to be right there by my side, but I HATE this "okay I'll vanish from sight and do nothing now because vidya games" mentality that Bioware squad mates have, especially after how well Mass 2's suicide mission used everyone, and then Mass 3 integrated none of that, even in its own final mission where, again, most of your team do bugger all while you choose a mere two to help fight the Reapers.

Madness

How is talking to people Shinobi. They promised more dialogue but so far the choices only seem like 2 options most of the time. Does it abruptly end or continue organically on and on. They said more dialogue than ME2 ane ME3 combined. Does the feeling of remoteness and wonder from ME1 come back with the feeling of ME2 being part of a crew, the collector missions and whatnot. How does the Nexus feel with regards to the Citadel beyond the music. Remember the first time you saw thr Destiny Ascension flyby on the Citadel in ME1 etc.

Sounds like all the stupid shit from ME1 concerning exploration is gone.

The fact that you personally liked it sounds like PR spin to them, maybe.

Also: you know BioWare. So obviously you're a shill. Friends are not allowed in the games industry.

Baleee dat.......but seriously its good to hear posotive impressions so far, im very excited for this (if my name didnt give it away) im trying to finish up nier before i drop everythinf for this. Also i may be in the minority, but i love dragon age inquisition so i dont mind if its at all structured like that

Rellik

Baleee dat.......but seriously its good to hear posotive impressions so far, im very excited for this (if my name didnt give it away) im trying to finish up nier before i drop everythinf for this. Also i may be in the minority, but i love dragon age inquisition so i dont mind if its at all structured like that

You're not in the minority. GAF has just very vocal groups that hate on certain games and that seems to skew people's perceptions sometimes.

Spidy

Neo Member
Concerned about the base X1 version in terms of playability and frame rate. Guess we'll see closer to launch. I'll try out the MP in a couple days with EA Access, should be indicative of final release.

rashbeep

Banned
How is talking to people Shinobi. They promised more dialogue but so far the choices only seem like 2 options most of the time. Does it abruptly end or continue organically on and on. They said more dialogue than ME2 ane ME3 combined. Does the feeling of remoteness and wonder from ME1 come back with the feeling of ME2 being part of a crew, the collector missions and whatnot. How does the Nexus feel with regards to the Citadel beyond the music. Remember the first time you saw thr Destiny Ascension flyby on the Citadel in ME1 etc.

There is a video of a guy who played for 18 hours doing Q and A, who said there are frequently only two choices. Similar to ME3.

R&R

Looked that first 45min gameplay video...and to me it looks ok. Story seems bit stupid already, or maybe not so much the story itself but the way the characters react to things happening around them...not very realistic imho. Also, I get that it is an Action RPG and this is part tutorial/part introduction section but the pace of things happening is way too fast...not really time to properly introduce anything, just quick scene, shooty-bang, , some running, quick scene etc. More action less RPG. For some reason this reminded me of the beginning of Dead Space 3...not a positive.

ISee

Thx for the write up, but I'm still a bit worried. Well at least I can try it out myself in two days.

N7.Angel

Looked that first 45min gameplay video...and to me it looks ok. Story seems bit stupid already, or maybe not so much the story itself but the way the characters react to things happening around them...not very realistic imho. Also, I get that it is an Action RPG and this is part tutorial/part introduction section but the pace of things happening is way too fast...not really time to properly introduce anything, just quick scene, shooty-bang, , some running, quick scene etc. More action less RPG. For some reason this reminded me of the beginning of Dead Space 3...not a positive.

I watched the first 45 min too but it's not enough to say if the game will be good or not but the writing ' especially dialogue) , visual and animations are terrible from what I've seen I don't know what is happening to Bioware but Mass Effect is my favorite series ever and I would not forgive them if they aren't delivering after the terrible ending of ME3.

GAF is a ridiculous echo chamber that can often skew perceptions. Whilst I won't deny better open world RPGs have come out since DAI, that game still sold well and won like five billion GOTY awards

Lt-47

There is a video of a guy who played for 18 hours doing Q and A, who said there are frequently only two choices. Similar to ME3.

I don't think it the number of option that matter as much as how often they come up. 95% of time neutral said the exact same thing as paragon or renegade so it's pretty much always been 2 options.

I watched the first 45 min too but it's not enough to say if the game will be good or not but the writing ' especially dialogue) , visual and animations are terrible from what I've seen I don't know what is happening to Bioware but Mass Effect is my favorite series ever and I would not forgive them if they aren't delivering after the terrible ending of ME3.

I don't think any thing is happening to Bioware. It's simply not the same team who made the Mass effect trilogy (or DA). New guys mean new skill and weakness

N7.Angel

I don't think it the number of option that matter as much as how often they come up. 95% of time neutral said the exact same thing as paragon or renegade so it's pretty much always been 2 options.

I don't think any thing is happening to Bioware. It's simply not the same team who made the Mass effect trilogy (or DA). New guys mean new skill and weakness

Don't worry, I'll give them a fair chance at the end, it's just not looking as good as I wanted to.

Eolz

I don't understand how it reads like damage control...I thought I was fairly thorough on what I experienced and took notice of.

Performance is great, 2 bugs are funny, rest is perfect, etc
It just seems really weird to have such a long post to say "This is so good guys, it's 100% Mass Effect", after the PAX thread showing a lot of issues, and streams linked in this very thread showing even more issues (mainly animation, but also weird movement and collisions, handholding (that might be just due to being at the beginning of the game to be fair), RPG systems seemingly lacking, etc).

It will be a good game for sure, but seems to take more from DA:Inquisition rather than the best of Mass Effect. Honestly, there's still a lot that is worrying looking at those streams (that are not on an early build either).

So it is Very clear to me shinobi, is a Promo guy at ea. Always defensive when a Topic appears regarding mass effect. I dont Trust u

Are you German?

It just seems really weird to have such a long post to say "This is so good guys, it's 100% Mass Effect", after the PAX thread showing a lot of issues, and streams linked in this very thread showing even more issues (mainly animation, but also weird movement and collisions, handholding (that might be just due to being at the beginning of the game to be fair), RPG systems seemingly lacking, etc).

It will be a good game for sure, but seems to take more from DA:Inquisition rather than the best of Mass Effect. Honestly, there's still a lot that is worrying looking at those streams (that are not on an early build either).

It's his experience. Like, are you genuinely saying that what he wrote is completely outlandishly unrealistic or something?

Varjis

Thanks for the impressions Shinobi, can't wait... even went as far to pick up the trilogy again (I never played the Citadel DLC from ME3.. I AM A MONSTER!!)

ironcreed

Banned
So it is Very clear to me shinobi, is a Promo guy at ea. Always defensive when a Topic appears regarding mass effect. I dont Trust u

trying-not-to-laugh-o.gif

Lt-47

Don't worry, I'll give them a fair chance at the end, it's just not looking as good as I wanted to.

Don't get me wrong I feel the same. It's just that I like to remind people that Bioware isn't some kind of singular entity. People talk about the studio like they have only one team working on all their IP, while it's quite the opposite.

Can you point those out as I'm listening to the combat music in the gameplay footage and while there are some synths it doesn't sound like the 70's vibe the original was going for. I'm finding the music tracks in the gameplay snippets shown as a whole to be extremely lackluster compared to Wall and Hulick's efforts in the OG trilogy.

Not to mention the large swaths of silence in which nothing is playing.

i need more convincing too. ME1's soundtrack was AMAZING and i still listen to it, while i can't remember a single track from ME2 (seriously, i disliked 100% of the music which is rare), and only one track from ME3 that was on par with ME1, the one right at the very end of the game.. (Catalyst)

Wow, accusations of astroturfing. Talk about blind hate.

Thanks for the impressions Shinobi.

yeah thats a serious accusation.. should not be made flippantly like that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Hyped.

In deep to Horizon right now, hopefully I finish before ME drops.

Super hyped as well. And just finished Horizon so ME will take its place and be the next game I'm playing alongside Zelda. :D

DirtyCase

From the sounds of it this game will be more like the first then the 2nd or third which, imo is a great thing.

At least in regards to the music, exploration, and writing.

Eolz

It's his experience. Like, are you genuinely saying that what he wrote is completely outlandishly unrealistic or something?

That's not what I'm saying.
I'm just saying that it weirdly avoids the issues shown recently and still today (facial animations, systems, bugs, etc) and looks (again, just looks) like it wants to avoid the topic.

More power to anyone enjoying games, but it's better to talk about everything as previously thought, like in a good preview rather than read like PR.

Mifune

Mehmber
That's not what I'm saying.
I'm just saying that it weirdly avoids the issues shown recently and still today (facial animations, systems, bugs, etc) and looks (again, just looks) like it wants to avoid the topic.

More power to anyone enjoying games, but it's better to talk about everything as previously thought, like in a good preview rather than read like PR.

More power to anyone enjoying games, but it's better to talk about WHAT I WANT TO HEAR.

They are his impressions, dude.

Nilaul

Is it a 100? Or a 97? Or a 7/10?

Great impressions man. I just hope they won't manage to screw up the story at the end.

Uhh, I stand by the performance 100%. I was playing on my Pro and it was stable the majority of the time with some slight slowdown during certain effects on the ground. Not sure what's unrealistic about that.

I noted glitches that I saw, and the one with Liam *was* funny. Doesn't mean I don't wish it didn't happen. It stood out during the conversation. And I don't know why liking the rest means I said they're perfect...I liked those aspects. Animations haven't bothered me. I noted that some are robotic, and in my opinion they didn't detract much from the fun I was having. I was trying to describe *my* experience from what I played so far. I'm not going to look at someone else's stream or footage and suddenly factor that into what I played. Why should I?

I'm also a fan of The Witcher's combat when so many here despise it, a fan of The Order despite its flaws when so many here despise it, etc. I can go on. Has nothing to do with avoiding anything. I'll mention things I didn't like or care for and focus a lot on things I did like. That's just how I view games, and I'm like that with every game I play. Every single one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom