• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played FFXV, H:ZD EGX 2016, my thoughts on them.

Venom Fox

Banned
So yesterday and today I played Horizon: Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy XV and more at EGX 2016. I did play more smaller games but I thought I'd cover the big ones for now.

FFXV

I played on Xbox One for a total of 1 and a half hours in 30 minute slots. While the game is a massive step up in terms of combat mechanics compared to the demo. Graphically though it was seriously bad. Edit: Correction. It was mostly bad in terms of IQ, LOD and AA. Other than that it looked really nice!

The FFXV team were loading up saves from just after you meet Cindy in Chapter 1 although if you wanted to you could quit back to the main menu and start from Chapter 0. The reps stated this was the master build that should have been released this month. They were happy to have (high quality off screen pics taken as some people had nice cameras) but moaned about my IPad when I snuck in a few shots and told me no more lol.

Bm4hDDw.jpg

Anyway the combat compared to the demos is so much better it's unbelievable, while functionally it's the same being able to switch to different swords on the fly which have different move sets makes the combat probably the best I've ever played in a FF game. I'm sure there's gaffers here that can back me up.
The only gripe I had was having to hold R1/RB and then Triangle/Y to warp strike. Minor though and it became second nature after a while. The way the characters interact together when fighting is something special, the funny little remarks that they give each other and the subsequent animations in reaction to doing a heavy attack makes the game immersive.

Camping is so much better now as well. The characters all talking to each other and having a laugh about the day's events really makes the whole road trip style story shine. It's not half assed like I thought it would have been. Side missions are the same as what we've seen in the extended videos so there's no point in talking about that really.

Graphically on Xbox One the game is atrocious, something which I hope the day one patch sorts out. If it uses a dynamic resolution it's painfully noticeable, with everything becoming blurry and muddy. It seems to happen when you're engaging in battle to help combat the frame drops, which there wasn't many of tbh. Mostly I encountered stutter issues when things were loading in.
IQ wise the lower resolution brings out the aliasing like I've never seen before. Noctis's and Cindys hair seem like they want to stab your eyes out. Power lines and generally every edge and line in the game is in need of an AA boost. Textures are affected too, especially the LOD systems, walking towards a rock, you can see the textures switching and it's extremely off putting. The far out rocks and cars etc look like something out of a PS2 game (no I'm not joking at all) it's literally flat, blurry rocks with PS2 style geometry. I tried to take pics to show what I meant, yes they're off screen but they still get the point across.

Other than that though the game holds up pretty nicely. As I said the PS4 version trumps the Xbone version but they each hold their own. It is an extremely pretty game but Is in need of the extra polish that the Devs are giving it!

I didn't realise the pic was this bad. Just wanted to point out the Rock on the right. As you walked closer it loaded in, it was the same with other rocks further out in the distance on the left.

pz06LeJ.jpg

tuziWtG.jpg

In general thought the game is a pretty one and I'm fucking excited for it. The PS4 version that was next to me improves on these issues but there's still a few blurry textures in the back ground and it needs more AA, it is better looking than the XB1 version though and it'll be interesting to see the DF comparisons come November.

I feel like the worries some have for the game aren't needed. It is a return to form for the franchise and I can't wait until everyone gets to experience the game!

Edit: Just worth mentioning that when the reps were doing the rounds asking for feedback and everyone's impressions on the combat, performance, menus etc. 99% of people came away extremely impressed.

Honestly. As someone who doesn't really participate in FFXV discussions due to not wanting to get hyped because of apprehension caused by footage we have seen, I will say that after playing this. I'm sorry I didn't as its a truly amazing Final Fantasy game. Up to now, it's pressing all the right buttons and more. Especially the combat, animations, interactions by the group etc. November can't come soon enough!

HORIZON: ZERO DAWN

In order to play Horizon we had to be taken behind closed doors into a room where there was a massive TV. We were explicitly told NO CAMERA EQUIPMENT ALLOWED. (I snuck in 1 pic of the room though).

uP7eNOs.jpg

On the TV we were shown a new trailer that I've never seen before, it outlines Aloy as a child and being outcast by the tribe. Aloy becomes addicted to finding out why the world ended and it's hinted that the robots are the cause.

After the trailer we got the same gameplay from E3 being played live by the guy standing in front of us (it was hilarious and he was pretty bad). He was trying to capture a mount and take out watchers. After he captures the mount and heads off towards a little village he stops the game.

We were lead through a door that took us to a closed off area with high walls to roughly 14 demo units. We had half an hour to play the demo (really no need for that long). 3 guys were standing guard to make sure nobody took any photos and the reason given was that because it was not a complete game they didn't want anyone to think it was bad?

Anyway the game! In short it's absolutely amazing. We had access to a range of weapons, from the Bow, fire arrow Bow, trip wire Bow and a type of grenade. The button configuration was fairly simple, square to couch, X to jump, R3 to activate the scan and slow time features etc. The game really brings across the hunting theme, watchers stood watch over the broad head dinos making sure they collected resources, which you can steal and craft things with. There was no menu so I couldn't take a look at the map or anything. Mounting a broad head was intense, being attacked by 2 watchers is a usually death sentence unless you use stealth. They're truly vicious and move and attack like you would expect a raptor dinosaur to. They're usually taken down with the heavy arrows (forgot to list them) to the head and lining up shots in slow mo is easy enough. The broad head can be toppled with 3 trip wires at which point you have to hack it and it becomes your ally.

Graphically the game was stunning, no real issues even with the early build we were playing. Like FFXV though the game needed better AA, while not as a bad as the above game, aliasing was apparent. There was no pop in anywhere that I could see on foot. The game is a technical master piece until you ride the mount at full speed. This is where the issues started, going into heavy forest areas brought the frame rate down for roughly a second or two (nothing too major) and textures, shadows, geometry started popping in at full speed. Going about half speed there were no issues at all so I'm confident later builds and the final build will sort this. Also. Something strange I noticed is that while the trees, grass, textures, lighting etc were amazing the wooden huts looked like ass. It was a little jarring.

Other than that we weren't allowed to play story missions because of spoilers and it didn't really bother me, I'm told by the guys who have played later builds that the story is amazing though and it's really interesting to find out where modern humanity messed up and how the robots took over. Once again I can't wait to play it in full. The gameplay that we have is something else tbh, it's extremely fun to play especially when things get tense.

Oh one last thing. Horizon in 4K HDR will blow minds. It is probably the best looking game this gen.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes! Mods close if unnecessary. I'll be posting my pics soon as I can get back to my IPad! I'll also post impressions on GT Sports later.

Your FFXV impressions sound really good. They got me pumped (Not like I wasn't :p).

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

P.S Can't wait to try out the new improved combat, that is even better than the demo :D

Venom Fox

Banned
Your FFXV impressions sound really good. They got me pumped (Not like I wasn't :p).

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

P.S Can't wait to try out the new improved combat, that is even better than the demo :D
It's ok, I'm shit at writing so I tried my best, any questions just ask!

Honestly, the combat is soooooo much better. The game itself is just better in every way, the delay will be worth it too I reckon. Just a shame about the graphics but I feel it's something they'll sort before launch for sure.

Was FFXV's combat less "floaty" than the platinum demo?
Yes, a lot less floaty. There is still a hint of it there but it's much improved. It almost feels like the platinum demo should be disregarded.

Glad to hear some positive impressions of FFXV. Would love to wait for the inevitable PC release but if it doesn't look/perform too poorly on PS4 then I may have to get it there.

All the ffxv impressions have been great lately aside from mostly just people pointing out the graphics.. can't wait.

Now to horizon grenades? Or are you talking about the slingshot that shoots basically grenades it ve odd to have both

Aters

Good to hear impressions on FFXV and H:ZD. H:ZD really isn't launching in a good time, though I'm pretty sure a delay is down the line.

wmlk

While FFXV builds off of Platinum Demo, there are some seemingly huge changes to animation and priority. Stuff like the dodge roll is just super fast now in the recent footage.

I feel like it was a mistake to start in the most visually drab area in the game. I get that they want to start slow and build up, and they've said the idea is to make the game get more fantastical as it progresses, but the desert is not the best first impression from a graphical perspective.

Good to hear impressions on FFXV and H:ZD. H:ZD really isn't launching in a good time, though I'm pretty sure a delay is down the line.
Hmm? Horizon is in a great month right around taxes in fact. These companies Aint stupid lol that's why everything else is crowding around it

Gbraga

Camping is so much better now as well. The characters all talking to each other and having a laugh about the day's events really makes the whole road trip style story shine. It's not half assed like I thought it would have been.

This is actually amazing. I wasn't expecting it at all.

satire77

Thanks for the impressions, im getting really hyped the closer we get to have ffxv in our hands. the most important thing for me here ( and i suppose for almost everyone else) is that it has good gameplay, tight combat. The graphics on xbox and ps4 seem bad, but ill be playing this on ps4 pro, so i hope it will be fine there.

Very excited too about horizon, the game it seems is going to be great on graphics, gameplay and story.

Whompa02

Nice to hear the gameplay is awesome. PS4 Pro version for me. XBONE probably the worst way to showcase the game's visuals unfortunately.

Venom Fox

Banned
All the ffxv impressions have been great lately aside from mostly just people pointing out the graphics.. can't wait.

Now to horizon grenades? Or are you talking about the slingshot that shoots basically grenades it ve odd to have both
Sorry yes I meant the slingshots. Just thought of them as grenades though as that's basically what one of them was.
Did you play Horizon on The Pro or The regular ps4?
Regular, there was a pro section but the public couldn't play.
This is actually amazing. I wasn't expecting it at all.
Neither was I. There's a few sequences that play from looking at other peoples screens.

Gbraga

...why do they continually show the XBOX One version in these events? lol

Like, they never show the PS4 version.

It makes no sense, but it's pretty refreshing that we don't have to wait for DF to find out how bad the Xbone version is. They've been pretty upfront about it, always showing both versions to make sure the consumer knows what he's getting with the version he chooses.

Complete 180 from the FFXIII "same screenshots, different button prompts" Square-Enix

Neither was I. There's a few sequences that play from looking at other peoples screens.

This is so good. I can definitely see myself rushing to camp after any interesting event in the main-story or a curious sidequest, just to see if there's unique dialogue related to it. Kinda like I always go back and talk to every NPC in Souls games after a boss fight or cutscene :p

Venom Fox

Banned
It makes no sense, but it's pretty refreshing that we don't have to wait for DF to find out how bad the Xbone version is. They've been pretty upfront about it, always showing both versions to make sure the consumer knows what he's getting with the version he chooses.

Complete 180 from the FFXIII "same screenshots, different button prompts" Square-Enix.

I think it's good I mean at least it's honest upfront.
They had both on show. There was more Xbox One units though. There was about 20 units all in all with walls separating each row. The PS4 version seemed like a step up from the Xbone but still had some issues from what I saw.

wmlk

Wait, does the camp have actual fully voiced dialogue?

I'm not expecting that at all. I feel like camp scenes and interactions will change based on area but still leave the dialogue out.

Venom Fox

Banned
I think it's good I mean at least it's honest upfront.

Did you get to try any different ammo with that slingshot or did the demo only have one kind
Only tried the one but there was 3 I think that we could use.
Wait, does the camp have actual fully voiced dialogue?
Yes. There was a section where they talked about helping cindy kill the creatures but my brother in law next to me didn't get anything, other people were getting other scenes from what I could see.

It was only a couple second clip though. It's exciting to see what others you can "unlock".

Jb

It's been reassuring to hear FFXV's combat has been massively improved in the Gamescom and TGS builds. I always liked what they were going for with that system but in both Duscae and Platinum it really wasn't where it need to be.

wmlk

Yes. There was a section where they talked about helping cindy kill the creatures but my brother in law next to me didn't get anything, other people were getting other scenes from what I could see.

bruh

Only a few seconds? I can see the length change based on events, though. I'd love to see how well it flows during the cutscene.

Only tried the one but there was 3 I think that we could use.

Bruh..not expected at all.

In regards to FFXV, how exactly does it play now?
I've played the Duscae and Platinum, and there are 3 different battle systems between them, with the party, young Noctis, and solo old Noctis. I kinda prefer the solo fights from Platinum; have they updated the game to still be party based but control/play like that?

Zedark

These are some really extensive and awesome impressions OP, thanks a lot for them (oh, and stop apologising for your writing, it's very good!)!

I really like that the combat in FFXV feels better than it did in the demos, since to me the demos already felt good. Graphically, I selfishly am quite happy that you say the PS4 looks fine for a game in optimisation phase, since I'll be playing that version. Good thing they nailed the road trip aspects like camping and random comments towards each other, since that is an important part of setting the tone of the narrative.

I didn't have any lingering doubts about Horizon Zero Dawn, but good thing that the gameplay feels responsive and that the game looks good. I think they'll decrease that aliasing you spoke about quite a bit during the remaining 5 months they have left. Shame they didn't show any new quests, but I think that aspect will be fine.

About taking pictures: I think there is a strong case for developers not to let unofficial images leak from their demos in this day and age. Anything that makes it onto the internet will be analysed to bits, and if you follow any of the FFXV threads, those images will be used by people who can't seem to understand that polishing a game the exact thing developers do in the last months to proclaim doom over the game, which leads to some bad perceptions on at least the graphical aspect of the game (which is, of course, detrimental to the sales perspectives of the product). If I were a developer, I would consider not putting out my AAA game to the general public to be played until the game is quite far into polishing, so such the uneducated doomsayers don't spread the aforementioned false information. That's why you weren't allowed to take (low quality) pictures: these work to create a negative perception for the game.

Tesser

Think I'll throw my own impressions on Horizon in here too given, like OP, I was (and still am) at EGX as well. Important to note this is coming from a guy who was going into this with doubt/skepticism and not really a fan of the Killzone series. I'll try and keep it brief, but pro's and con's as follows.

PROs
  • There's no tutorialspeak and/or blatant telling the player what to do in-game, thank God. I know the devs promised they wouldn't, but I refused to accept their word until I saw it for myself. And I'm pleased to see Aloy stays silent for MOST of the time. Still makes ocassional "oh no, I'm out of arrows"/"oh no, they spotted me" comments even though you can clearly see it on-screen, but it's not on the level of "I should probably scan these enemies/I should properly craft this item/I should probably find a mount". Still, complete silence aside from cutscenes would be nice.
  • The World does indeed look good. We only played in a brief and fairly small area (imagine that middle-part of the E3 demo they showed) but the variety in flora, structure and all-round level design is neat. I'll save comment until I see the entirety of the game World, but it's good to see Guerilla treating it with a decent amount of respect.
  • Combat is layered and tactical, which I like. People who decide to just spam the fire button will die fairly easily; enemies do indeed have strengths/weaknesses and, like the ShellWalkers, have to be attacked at different points and regions that aren't indicated by the yellow-glowing spots. Figuring out which weapons works will make a difference between causing 2 damage and 62 damage. And yes, numbers do fly out of the enemies on contact, but thankfully not The Division levels of number-spewing.
  • Lighting, even on the standard PS4 model, looks really nice - especially with the way it reflects off water and comes through tree branches and the like. Colour tone at points is nice and varied and I hope this continues with differing environments and environmental conditions.
  • Generally speaking, I really like the way you have to actually plan your moves when, for example, hacking/mounting a robot and making your way out of Watcher presence. There's something nice about readying yourself, striking with the RopeCaster and then just sprinting forward to get the job done. Nice shake-up of pace and tension.

CONs
  • There was some ocassional frame-rate drops at points and moments of half-second stuttering. Nothing major but definitely noticeable.
  • Dismounting near trees can cause you to clip into them. Some of the movement, especially on the more sloped and angled of grounds can cause some odd creature animation too.
  • The item/weapon wheel can be frustrating to control and doesn't automatically snap to certain objects meaning you sometimes have to wrestle with the stick to get it to point to a desired item.
  • Though some enemies will constantly move and attack/defend/counter-attack you, Watchers for example at points will just stay static and invite critical shots to be fired.

Overall though, I liked what I saw/played. Not going to boast "OMG, BEST GAME EVAH YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS!!1!shift1!" but I do want to play more of it, put it that way.

It was only a couple second clip though. It's exciting to see what others you can "unlock".

Awesome, I'd resigned myself to unvoiced scenes, but this is good news. Chilling at camp is a big part of road trips after all...

Z3M0G

The warp-strike mechanic always felt under-conceived to me... yet it is one of the games primary show-pieces during advertising.

Mechanically, and strategically, is it useful? Is its use and purpose improved over the previous demos?

https so that I and perhaps others can see the pics:

Bm4hDDw.jpg

pz06LeJ.jpg

tuziWtG.jpg

uP7eNOs.jpg

Cynar

I'd moan too about an iPad or phone for pictures. Seriously a point and shoot would be better quality. Those tiny sensors ugh.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Glad to hear that the responsiveness of the combat feels a lot better. I saw in recent footage that it looked like the dodges were faster and animation canceling, but I tried not to get my hopes up yet. Other reviews that mention the combat feeling good, also said the Duscae and Platinum demos felt good, which wasn't reassuring. The awful sluggishness of the controls was a huge gripe for me from the demo and I'm still anxious about it.

Mcdohl

I also had a blast with XV's demo at PAX, but also agree it looked really bad at times (it was the Xbox One version).

Makes me wonder, why is SE demoing it on Xbox One at events?

Everything sounds 👌👌
Tbh ive not heard a single really bad impression about Horizon yet. Even if the story is average that would be a great game.

HeelPower

Horizon is a game I dont understand.

Every thing seems so pretty ,but at the same I cant feel anything about it.

It just seems shallow and empty...But you seem to love it.I guess they kept a good bit of it undercover.

blakep267

Horizon is a game I dont understand.

Every thing seems so pretty ,but at the same I cant feel anything about it.

It just seems shallow and empty...But you seem to love it.I guess they kept a good bit of it undercover.
im feeling the same way. Like it looks ok but I really just see another open world third person game. Like the robots look cool I guess but I'm not blown away

Venom Fox

Banned
This is the most positive impression of FFXV I've seen yet. Really hoping it turns out good.
This is also coming from someone who's been looking forward to FFXV but been apprehensive based on the demos and footage we've seen. The game is simply amazing to play. Everything feels fun and natural. I now won't be able sleep until November :(
It really does. I'm sure there's a few videos from EGX and the combat feels amazing.
Marketing parity.
Probably. At least they had both versions side by side. Felt like it was sneaky way to show both like a sort of comparison.

KiraXD

Im not worried about ffxv ps4, i played ps4 and xb1 versions of the demo, and jesus, xb1 is bad... But ps4 looks amazing... Seriously its like 2 different games side by side. So... Anyone who has the option... Is it even a question as to which version to get? (Hint: its the Ps4 version... Get the ps4 version...)

Venom Fox

Banned
Im not worried about ffxv ps4, i played ps4 and xb1 versions of the demo, and jesus, xb1 is bad... But ps4 looks amazing... Seriously its like 2 different games side by side. So... Anyone who has the option... Is it even a question as to which version to get? (Hint: its the Ps4 version... Get the ps4 version...)
Yeah, I was aiming to go for the PS4 station but was directed to an Xbox station. I was in a Que for over an hour and stood and watched the PS4 version. The guy next to me also had the PS4 version and that version was so much cleaner IQ wise, less ailiasing, better LOD systems, more foliage etc. I mean the Xbox One version did look good. It's definitely a next gen game but the PS4 version just trumps it. Hopefully though the patch (on disc now) will sort things out.
Thanks for them impressions dude!
It's ok man :)

Top Bottom