• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ibn 'Arabi main philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ibn_Arabi.jpg

Muḥyīʾl-Dīn Muḥammad ibn ʽAlī al-ʽArabī is perhaps the most influential Sufi of the medieval period and continues to inspire Sufi movements in the contemporary world as well as institutions devoted to him such as the Muhyiddin Ibn ʽArabi Society in Oxford. Popularly known as Ibn ʽArabī, he is often also given the honorific of al-Shaykh al-Akbar (The Greatest Sufi Master) because of his influence, his writings and spiritual authority for Sufis throughout the ages.

Gonna start to read "Journey to the Lord of Power" but from what I got so far it goes like this:

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

The Light is God (pure form) and the colors are just a reflection of Him; our world and cosmos are both God and Not God because they are a piece of him but at the same time not his pure form. Every religion is correct but Sufism is the best way to go (so says 'Arabi).

An Ocean without Shore​

"I marveled at an Ocean without shore,
and at a Shore that did not have an ocean;
And at a Morning Light without darkness,
and at a Night that was without daybreak;
And then a Sphere with no locality
known to either fool or learned scholar;
And at an azure Dome raised over the earth,
circulating ’round its center – Compulsion;
And at a rich Earth without o’er-arching vault
and no specific location, the Secret concealed [...]"

+- the complete annihilation of the ego in preparation for union with God should be our main goal.

Thoughts?

Cyberpunkd

This is more about medieval metaphysics, not "religion"...
Of course it is, and abayas are a cultural thing, nothing to do with Islam, no sir.

If you are on a philosophical soul searching just get Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, nothing better has been written since then.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It amuses me no end that us human beings are so gullible that any old gift of the gab can convince anyone to believe anything. The big three, Christians/Muslims/Jews are no different in my eyes to all the modern day crackpot lunacy of Mormonism, Scientology etc only they got a thousand years headstart to embed into the human psyche. Sooner we embrace that there is fuck all up there and that when you die your dead, maybe the idiots of the world will stop fucking it up for the rest of us

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Sooner we embrace that there is fuck all up there and that when you die your dead, maybe the idiots of the world will stop fucking it up for the rest of us
Sooner that happens the sooner the world devolves into complete and utter unmitigated chaos because there is no reason to care about the evil you commit. In a perfect world where humanity are not profligate beasts who care not for worldly capital the lack of religion would absolutely be a boon to the whole world. The reality though is that the only reason that we as humanity have not consumed one and other over the millennia is thanks to some kind of direct obedience to a particular god or belief. Even the most debased and horrible societies that we know from history had limits due to their beliefs. We have examples of societies that sacrificed children without much thought, but still followed certain rules because of their beliefs which allowed a society to form. If humanity had immediate universal knowledge that there was literally nothing beyond death then the entire world would fall to absolute chaos. We as a species would be dead within a few centuries with our current mindset because without consequences there would be no hesitation.

The elimination of religion is a goal to work towards for sure because it is as a whole useless in the end, but it is not something that should be rushed towards by any means. Humanity needs to be taught that something is wrong for the sake of it being wrong before anything else happens. Not because some magical entity in the sky is gonna be big mad if you do it. Otherwise humanity ends with us all murdering each other for shiny things and territory.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Sooner that happens the sooner the world devolves into complete and utter unmitigated chaos because there is no reason to care about the evil you commit. In a perfect world where humanity are not profligate beasts who care not for worldly capital the lack of religion would absolutely be a boon to the whole world. The reality though is that the only reason that we as humanity have not consumed one and other over the millennia is thanks to some kind of direct obedience to a particular god or belief. Even the most debased and horrible societies that we know from history had limits due to their beliefs. We have examples of societies that sacrificed children without much thought, but still followed certain rules because of their beliefs which allowed a society to form. If humanity had immediate universal knowledge that there was literally nothing beyond death then the entire world would fall to absolute chaos. We as a species would be dead within a few centuries with our current mindset because without consequences there would be no hesitation.

The elimination of religion is a goal to work towards for sure because it is as a whole useless in the end, but it is not something that should be rushed towards by any means. Humanity needs to be taught that something is wrong for the sake of it being wrong before anything else happens. Not because some magical entity in the sky is gonna be big mad if you do it. Otherwise humanity ends with us all murdering each other for shiny things and territory.

Didn't read past that part cause that's the sort of shite that evangelical fuckwits come off with, no the world won't devolve into chaos because adult human beings no longer believe in fucking Santa Clause like stories about medieval conmen, humans have evolved to generally be nice to one another and the fucking LAWS of the land will keep the other cunts in check

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Didn't read past that part cause that's the sort of shite that evangelical fuckwits come off with, no the world won't devolve into chaos because adult human beings no longer believe in fucking Santa Clause like stories about medieval conmen, humans have evolved to generally be nice to one another and the fucking LAWS of the land will keep the other cunts in check
Dude I am an Atheist. I believe in basically nothing beyond the occasional universal karma.

I am just providing facts about the human race and how shit we are when left to our own devices with no consequences. That's not an opinion. That is a literal historical fact that has shown itself to be true over and over again. How many atrocities by virtually godless regimes throughout human history do you need to see before you realize that?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

How many atrocities by virtually godless regimes throughout human history do you need to see before you realize that?
Wanna bet it’s less than all the deaths in the name of a religion or a particular god?

Please let’s not go down the rabbit hole of “you need religion to be a just person”, that shit is blatantly false. Catholic Church proved that by decades of sexual abuse of minors.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Dude I am an Atheist. I believe in basically nothing beyond the occasional universal karma.

I am just providing facts about the human race and how shit we are when left to our own devices with no consequences. That's not an opinion. That is a literal historical fact that has shown itself to be true over and over again. How many atrocities by virtually godless regimes throughout human history do you need to see before you realize that?
Again what utter shite, human beings are perfectly capable of living with one another and it not turning into a scene from Event Horizon and don't quote historical facts ffs, we no longer burn witches so we've all grown up a bit. Virtually all of the west bar those crazies in Amerikkka who are all god and country are exactly the type to go mental as for the rest of us we would carry on as normal.

It's an utterly daft argument that we need some sort of deity to keep us in check, that's what I call religious propaganda and you've fallen hook line and sinker... Also btw there are no Nazis in Ukraine...

Last edited:

feynoob

Philosphy is just experience of your environment.
If you are stuck in 1 region (or continent), you wouldnt be able to know the true experience of life.

Wildebeest

I don't believe there is some purer level of existence that the world around us is a reflection of. It just doesn't make sense, and people who think they "just understand" this pure world the best are often not especially good or useful people to follow.

Larogue

I like his broad ideas of what is a being & a god. Much more advanced than generic religions.

But still rises the same dilemma of why god needed to create (in this case project) things, and why/how god exist in the first place.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
What the hell does that have to do with anything? lol
I'm basically saying that if you fell for the Christian propaganda of "if there was no god we'd all be out raping and murdering" you probably believed Putin's lies about Nazi's in Ukraine, anyways M8 you stated you where an atheist so I'll give you 10points to Griffindor for that one but don't fall for the wee need some sort of deity to keep humanity in check, that was definitely true in the dark ages when humans where dumb AF and the church/monarchy needed a way to keep the fuckwits from rebelling

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm basically saying that if you fell for the Christian propaganda of "if there was no god we'd all be out raping and murdering" you probably believed Putin's lies about Nazi's in Ukraine, anyways M8 you stated you where an atheist so I'll give you 10points to Griffindor for that one but don't fall for the wee need some sort of deity to keep humanity in check, that was definitely true in the dark ages when humans where dumb AF and the church/monarchy needed a way to keep the fuckwits from rebelling
Yeah I've never understood that kind of reasoning. I'm more apatheist than anything but if I knew for a fact that there was no God. I wouldn't run out and start raping and killing. We all have a moral compass regardless of religion

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

We need less religion, not more. France just banned abayas in school so not everything is lost yet.
I completely disagree. we need more, not less ( in the right places). But, we need the people to actually listen to the teachings and follow them. As we know, lots of religious people don’t really follow the teachings the claim to. If they did, they would be much more accepting, I’m saying this as a Christian. It probably applies to most other religions too.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I completely disagree. we need more, not less ( in the right places). But, we need the people to actually listen to the teachings and follow them. As we know, lots of religious people don’t really follow the teachings the claim to. If they did, they would be much more accepting, I’m saying this as a Christian. It probably applies to most other religions too.
That hasn't been working out for how many millenia? You got any better ideas?

winjer

Gold Member

Several millennia with plenty of religion has proved exactly the opposite.
In the last century we started to diverge from religion and managed to make great strides in science, politics and human rights.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Religion has been a shackle around humanitys neck, we would be far more advanced if it wasn't for the multiple religious organizations holding us back for whatever reasons whomever was in charge at the time, we only have to look at the middle east, Africa to see how religion+uneducated masses effects everyone today.

Fuck religion and fuck adults who believe in fairy tales, I don't give a shit how nice you are, your god or your version of god is the reason cunts fly planes into buildings or justify marrying kids.. it's all a load of bollocks and the sooner we as a species realize this the better

Religion has been a shackle around humanitys neck, we would be far more advanced if it wasn't for the multiple religious organizations holding us back for whatever reasons whomever was in charge at the time, we only have to look at the middle east, Africa to see how religion+uneducated masses effects everyone today.

Fuck religion and fuck adults who believe in fairy tales, I don't give a shit how nice you are, your god or your version of god is the reason cunts fly planes into buildings or justify marrying kids.. it's all a load of bollocks and the sooner we as a species realize this the better
Macready, you're essentially the caricature atheist right about now lol. "They're all fairy tales and bullshit, I put my entire faith into science! Even though science cannot explain something coming from nothing and it doesn't deal with the supernatural, but science one day will have all the answers!" Do you have a shrine dedicated to Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens by your bedside? You do don't you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom