• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDC: Sony shipped more than 500,000 headsets in the three months through June

Synth

Unlike most of the console exclusive stuff we see in regular games, I seriously doubt a lot of that VR functionality would even exist without Sony throwing their money and influence around, especially from Japanese devs.

I don't really see much reason to assume this to be the case really. Sony would likely see a decent amount of exclusive software for their platform by default in the Japanese market simply for it naturally having the audience so many of their type of title (stuff like the Hatsune Miku Live or Danganronpa VR stuff would likely fall into this). Those games are happening on their own however without the need for kickbacks, and there's no shortage of them on either PSVR or PCVR. Those are also not the sort of titles Sony has been targeting for PSVR deals. The games selected are instead those that have a more global appeal, and are demonstrably marketable enough on other platforms for the main games themselves to already exist there. Logically, it's more probable that this content gets wrapped in a deal precisely because it would otherwise have not been exclusive... and historically timed exclusive content is not content that wasn't going to exist otherwise.

Ah, PCVRGaf here with the salt.

Tell me again how PC will obviously be the biggest market for VR.

Surely with the 000s of developers able to access the open platform Sony locking RE7VR up for a year won't make any difference?

53u9nkW.jpg

Yea, miss me with that "PCVRGaf" tribalist bullshit.

Someone posted they felt Sony were the only ones putting real money behind VR content and the platform. I simply posted that's not the case, because Oculus is 100% in on VR, has been consistently funding and publishing the most software (both games and experiences), and has an entirely VR focused store that covers both the Rift and the GearVR. The GearVR btw, is the device that I was referring to having the largest market, not the Rift. So congrats on jumping the gun on that.

Head.spawn

I'm definitely not a fan of that, "hey, lets money hat this content from other customers who are paying the same price for a year" angle they go for. It just completely turns me off of games and honestly that is the only reason I don't own RE7 right now. Destiny 2 as well, as awesome as that played on PC and I'd definitely want to play it but I can't support that bs.

A month or two or three, I'd maybe be okay with... a year though? Fuck outta here, I'll see you on humble bundle.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. I hope VR can improve in its audience and lead to new experiences.

Thanks how did that happen? lol

I don't know but that other taxation news is great. I'm glad that the EU is leading with that stuff.

rjinaz

I'm priced out of VR right now, but it is definitely on my horizon. My more casual gaming brother is also wanting to get a PSVR but can't justify the price. Once VR can hit the $200 price I think it's going to be huge.

I don't really see much reason to assume this to be the case really. Sony would likely see a decent amount of exclusive software for their platform by default in the Japanese market simply for it naturally having the audience so many of their type of title (stuff like the Hatsune Miku Live or Danganronpa VR stuff would likely fall into this). Those games are happening on their own however without the need for kickbacks, and there's no shortage of them on either PSVR or PCVR. Those are also not the sort of titles Sony has been targeting for PSVR deals. The games selected are instead those that have a more global appeal, and are demonstrably marketable enough on other platforms for the main games themselves to already exist there. Logically, it's more probable that this content gets wrapped in a deal precisely because it would otherwise have not been exclusive... and historically timed exclusive content is not content that wasn't going to exist otherwise.

I mean, yeah, it's pretty obvious Sony have not only been chasing big, mainstream franchises but also AAA developers as well, in an effort to take PSVR mainstream. But the question is, would those projects have happened without Sony throwing money around? My bet for most of them is no. Sure, Skyrim VR absolutely would've been a thing because Bethesda are clearly investing in VR, but how much investment have you seen from Capcom, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Activision, EA or WB outside of their PSVR content? None. So it's not a reach at all to assume Sony approached those companies and made deals to attract support. It's the exact same strategy they've used before, particularly with the PSP and Vita.

Synth

I mean, yeah, it's pretty obvious Sony have not only been chasing big, mainstream franchises but also AAA developers as well, in an effort to take PSVR mainstream. But the question is, would those projects have happened without Sony throwing money around? My bet for most of them is no. Sure, Skyrim VR absolutely would've been a thing because Bethesda are clearly investing in VR, but how much investment have you seen from Capcom, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Activision, EA or WB outside of their PSVR content? None. So it's not a reach at all to assume Sony approached those companies and made deals to attract support. It's the exact same strategy they've used before, particularly with the PSP and Vita.

I won't continue to argue it back and forth, as truthfully we simply can't know for sure. I do think it's weird to use an absence of other released content as a barometer however. The entire field is brand new, if I ask "how much investment in VR have you seen from Sega outside of their PSVR content?" the answer is basically the same. Over time all of these companies are likely to have more VR projects, but unlike Bethesda, few have the resources to commit to multiple projects at once. It Sony had signed a deal on Dirt Rally's VR mode, I wouldn't have been able to produce you any evidence that Codemasters would have created it anyway. But they did.

EDIT: In fact, Namco has also done both Summer Lesson and IDOLM@STER VR also, so they definitely have other projects beyond those they signed a deal on. Still PSVR exclusive, true... but it implies their multiplat titles (Tekken and Ace Combat) wouldn't necessarily have been lacking VR functionality.
EDIT2: And Square Enix has Kai-ri-Sei Million Arthur VR for SteamVR, along with Hitman Go for Rift and GearVR, and the Deus Ex Mankind Divided VR Experience on SteamVR.
EDIT3: Namco had Project Cars and now Project Cars 2 also.

I won't continue to argue it back and forth, as truthfully we simply can't know for sure. I do think it's weird to use an absence of other released content as a barometer however. The entire field is brand new, if I ask "how much investment in VR have you seen from Sega outside of their PSVR content?" the answer is basically the same. Over time all of these companies are likely to have more VR projects, but unlike Bethesda, few have the resources to commit to multiple projects at once. It Sony had signed a deal on Dirt Rally's VR mode, I wouldn't have been able to produce you any evidence that Codemasters would have created it anyway. But they did.

EDIT: In fact, Namco has also done both Summer Lesson and IDOLM@STER VR also, so they definitely have other projects beyond those they signed a deal on. Still PSVR exclusive, true... but it implies their multiplat titles (Tekken and Ace Combat) wouldn't necessarily have been lacking VR functionality.
EDIT2: And Square Enix has Kai-ri-Sei Million Arthur VR for SteamVR, along with Hitman Go for Rift and GearVR, and the Deus Ex Mankind Divided VR Experience on SteamVR.
EDIT3: Namco had Project Cars and now Project Cars 2 also.

Maybe, particularly with smaller publishers, but EA, Activision and even WB? I don't think so. I think their lack of interest in VR outside of those tiny little VR "experiences" is pretty obvious. Additionally, particularly when it comes to the Japanese developers, it's hard to figure out what's timed exclusive and what's just outright exclusive.

As for your edits:

Bandai Namco: Last I heard, Bandai Namco is just a distribution partner on Project CARS, Slightly Mad are the ones calling the shots with those games. Summer Lesson was developed by the Tekken team and was featured at a Sony conference, so my impression was that it was part of some kind of deal, maybe as just a weird side-product of the Tekken 7 deal or something. It's hard to say. But regardless, even if Bandai Namco are a bit more of a Bethesda case, it doesn't really hurt my point.

Square Enix: Fair point, I knew about Hitman GO VR but had no idea about the other two.

If you need a more Apples-to-Apples comparison, Kinect died a pretty swift death despite selling over 20 million units. If developers don't know what to do with a secondary platform and consumers aren't really thrilled and excited, then sometimes not even decent sales are enough.

That's not even much of an apples to apples. How much was a kinect and how much is the PS VR? The latter costs the same as the Ps4 did when new, would you expect it to sell similar to a device 1/3 of the price? It was also much easier to market the Kinect for what it was, and it hit storeshelves *just* before the infatuation and novelty with motion control gaming passed over. VR is something that you really need to experience first-hand to 'get it'. I mean obviously we're talking about VR within a gaming context, but there's so much obvious potential for VR outside entertainment in the areas of science, military, and education. There are more stakeholders invested in it longterm than a device that tracks your body movements onscreen and utilizes voice commads to switch apps.

And for what its worth, subjective opinion of course, kinect didn't sniff the PsVR in terms of content. Detractors aside, there just seems like more enthusiasm in general for VR. I mean, you got people on here saying Resident Evil 7 and Batman Arkham are some of the greatest gaming experiences they've ever had, and thats in year one. How many life-altering experiences were found on Kinect?

notaskwid

Shipped? lol so they didn't sell anything then.

e: Just find it really weird they didn't mention sales, but mentioned shipping units. Many companies can ship units and then say they shipped a lot. I'd rather hear a sales number then how much they shipped.
I'm sure that after almost one year in the market, stores just keep ordering them in for the heck of it. Gotta give Sony good numbers to show.

DieH@rd

Banned
WTF at House's comments? Why on earth would you say something like that about a very successful platform that your company is making money on?

Larger audience on all three high end VR systems = more multiplatform devs.

Sony can produce/finance a steady stream of VR exclusives, but large multi-platform presence is hard to attain for young platforms, and those games are crucial to fill the holes between larger releases.

Top Bottom