• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Paper Mario: Color Splash surprised us in a great way (new video preview)

Calm Mind

Update 07/22:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/0RKJt2wxots?wmode=opaque

IGN posted a new video titled "Paper Mario Color Splash is the Big Wii U Game You Need This Fall."

Confirms:

Original post follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFg7Xm_PQk

Thought this was a really good preview/impressions from Altano and Sliva. I'm glad to see the game turning some of the initial negative impressions around. I think it's going to be a gem of an exclusive swan song for Wii U.

BTW, if you're interested in other recent footage of the game, check out Mpl90's thread with Dark Bloo Inn footage. The Title Screen is in the second post for those interested. In addition, I also posted some other footage in that thread.

And Tom Nook Sawyer kindly made a .gif to remember, of one stylish Breakdancing Pig:

31q87r.gif

I'm also going to repost Mr. Waluigi's excellent recent posts on the game, he's got a great analysis going of how Color Splash is a major step beyond Sticker Star.

I made this gif. Note the time of my post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210852177&postcount=42

I didn't know Parakarry and Goombella cameo'd in SS.

I never would have guessed Parakarry would be the one character (that isn't Mario, Peach, Bowser or Luigi) to appear in every game in the series.

Hope he appears again, even if it's only a minor mention.

If I may, can I be a villain?

The break-dancing pig is boring, I don't like it. It isn't really interesting to me, as all of the intrigue from these real-world-object attacks was diminished in Sticker Star. I guess I don't appreciate why this is standing out to people.

It's possible that I am being extra harsh because I'm not looking forward to the game, but the pig just seems like more of the same.

yeah who woulda thought a Mario game would include Main characters

Yeah, silly people expecting a series famous for making new characters and enemies to introduce new characters and enemies from game to game.

Don't be obtuse, the poster was not complaining about the presence of Mario characters and you know it. Or did you just not see the "only" in their post?

Simbabbad

The meltdowns if this game ends up better than TTYD
Even if it is, some people will never admit it.

Didn't watch the video because I'll buy the game anyway and I want to be surprised, but I'm glad it looks way better than people whined about (just like Federation Force, apparently).

....Why would PM fans who want a game as good as TTYD again.....hate a game as good as TTYD?
Because:

Only main Mario characters. Fuck off.
"It isn't the sequel I made up in my head, therefore it's shit."

Only main Mario characters. Fuck off.

This. I didn't mind the gameplay in SS, but that was the absolute last time I ever wanted to deal with any of these soulless New Mario Bros. abominations, especially for the RPG series. I'm starting to get worried Mario's never going to be creative again, at least under Miyamoto. NSMB is a decade old, more and more people are starting to reject this style of the brand (causing some of the worst selling Mario games recently) and yet Nintendo doesn't stop pushing this generic trash anyway.
I guess IS gets everything possible out of the soulless NSMB style they can, but these bland-ass environments, enemies and characters have become unbearable.

Even if it is, some people will never admit it.

Didn't watch the video because I'll buy the game anyway and I want to be surprised, but I'm glad it looks way better than people whined about (just like Federation Force, apparently).

Because:

"It isn't the sequel I made up in my head, therefore it's shit."
Well, the imprtant thing is that you feel superior to those who have watched the video and dislike what they see of the game.

Mory Dunz

It's probably a Smurf situation.

Smurfs all looked alike, BTW, and it wasn't an issue.

I don't really know anything about smurfs, so I won't go there.
But I thought the new movie...had a girl...or something? From the trailers? lol I dunno.

But for PM, they established specifically female variants in their games for things such as Goombas, Toads, Koopas, Boo, etc.

Within this very series.

So going away from it now just looks like regression. It'd be one thing if they never made the distinction, but they did.

Simbabbad

But I thought the new movie...had a girl...or something? From the trailers? lol I dunno.
Gah, don't speak about "trailers", I'm talking about the Belgium comics.

Schtroumpfs_g.jpg

They basically all look alike minus the Great Smurf, but they all have distinct personalities, and it works very well.

They're all male but the local sorcerer created a female to create havoc in their village and they eventually adopted her.

I'm a big fan of the original comics, so I'm happy the Toads look more and more like Smurfs.

latest
150px-Toadsworth_artwork_--_Super_Mario_Sunshine.PNG

The original Smurf stories were extremely funny and well written, so similar visuals isn't an issue in itself.

But for PM, they established specifically female variants in their games for things such as Goombas, Toads, Koopas, Boo, etc.

Within this very series.

So going away from it now just looks like regression. It'd be one thing if they never made the distinction, but they did.
Female Toads outside of Toadette seem to have been retconned out of existence.

But what else is new?

Mory Dunz

I'm a big fan of the original comics, so I'm happy the Toads look more and more like Smurfs.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/mario/images/8/81/Mario15120090926112630.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110224154609&path-prefix=fr[/IMGs] [IMG]http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/7/7c/Toadsworth_artwork_--_Super_Mario_Sunshine.PNG/150px-Toadsworth_artwork_--_Super_Mario_Sunshine.PNG[/IMGs]

The original Smurf stories were extremely funny and well written, so similar visuals isn't an issue in itself.[/QUOTE]

I...don't understand.

So you would rather more of this:
[QUOTE][IMG]http://themushroomkingdom.net/images/ss/pmcs/19.jpg
Screen_Shot_2016-06-15_at_7.07.39_PM.0.0.png

than this:
TheTravelingSisters.PNG

Zip_toad.PNG

Waitress.gif

120px-PM2_Jolene.jpg

We want less female and different looking NPCs?

It's kind of their own fault really.

Because Paper Mario has officially differentiated between female and male toads. In these pictures, I only see male toads. Because that's what they are now.
Have they written any dialogue that contradicts that so far?

maxcriden

It is strange that non-male Toads have disappeared. For me variety is desirable just for visual senses alone. I quite liked the Toad Hunts in Paper Jam in terms of gameplay variety but it was a bit weird that they all looked identical. Some sprite or model variety to me is appealing. That game was in the Mushroom Kingdom, though. I think specifically when we venture out of the Mushroom Kingdom to the Prism Kingdom or Sprixie Kingdom or wherever else I expect all the more so to see some characters other than Toads.

(And I say this as someone very eager to play a Color Splash.)

RagnarokX

I...don't understand.

So you would rather more of this:

than this:
TheTravelingSisters.PNG

Zip_toad.PNG

Waitress.gif

120px-PM2_Jolene.jpg

It's kind of their own fault really.

Because Paper Mario has officially differentiated between female and male toads. In these pictures, I only see male toads. Because that's what they are now.
Have they written any dialogue that contradicts that so far?
Well, you see, the problem with what you've done here is that you compared generic NPC toads to character NPC toads. TTYD had generic NPCs, too, including toads:
icX50Ig.jpg

gonBmRK.jpg

We've seen some character NPC toads in Color Splash:
yzgsqWN.png

I'm sure there will be more. Color Splash has a big map and we've only seen a few areas.

And we've seen some variation in the appearance of the generic toads:
zaIRVHX.jpg

rtA2uYX.jpg

Mory Dunz

Well, you see, the problem with what you've done here is that you compared generic NPC toads to character NPC toads. TTYD had generic NPCs, too, including toads:

I know, you've posted it before.
But with his smurfs comment, I said he wants "less of" the female variants, which would be true. I wasn't assuming every character would be unique.

But those screenshots just prove my point even more lol.

Generic TTYD:

vs.

Generic CS

Even Generic TTYD has 10x more variety than CS, and that's without even including the unique NPCs.

You just added to my point.

edit:
And even generic TTYD has female NPCs.
Or does that not matter anymore...?

RagnarokX

I know, you've posted it before.
But with his smurfs comment, I said he wants "less of" the female variants, which would be true. I wasn't assuming every character would be unique.

But those screenshots just prove my point even more lol.

Generic TTYD:

gonBmRK.jpg

vs.

Generic CS

Screen_Shot_2016-06-15_at_7.07.39_PM.0.0.png

Even Generic TTYD has 10x more variety than CS, and that's without even including the unique NPCs.

You just added to my point lol.

My point was that the examples you used from TTYD were a different kind of NPC from the ones you were comparing them to in CS. All of your TTYD examples are characters with names and you compared them to generic nameless NPCs. For your point the only real example is generic female toad. All other female toads in the game are characters.

There are more variations of toad in the CS screenshot than the TTYD screenshot. TTYD shot has red male toad and orange female toad. CS shot has red male toad, yellow male toad, and a toad wearing sunglasses. There are also green toads after you talk to the yellow toad. And if you want to add non-toads, the TTYD shot has lakitus and doogans while the CS screenshot has a slurp guy.

Mory Dunz

My point was that the examples you used from TTYD were a different kind of NPC from the ones you were comparing them to in CS. All of your TTYD examples are characters with names and you compared them to generic nameless NPCs. For your point the only real example is generic female toad. All other female toads in the game are characters.

There are more variations of toad in the CS screenshot than the TTYD screenshot. TTYD shot has red male toad and orange female toad. CS shot has red male toad, yellow male toad, and a toad wearing sunglasses. There are also green toads after you talk to the yellow toad. And if you want to add non-toads, the TTYD shot has lakitus and doogans while the CS screenshot has a slurp guy.

The original point was about how female toads...(or almost any female variant so far) doesn't exist anymore as of now. So I said to the poster, "you want more of this rather than generic females or uniques?" because of the smurfs comment. I realize they were unique. They were just what came up on google.

...sigh...are we really comparing recolors to different assets? And talking as if they're equal?? Really? Like, if an enemy in rpg had 50 recolors, that's more variety than 25 different looking monsters? really?

oh....and why are you using an Crowd/audience compared to a town/location.
An audience has no one you talk to, and is firmly in the background, and for all intensive purposes....doesn't matter.

Towns are where there are NPCs you interact with, influence the game, build story, whatever. So there should be an incentive to individualize town NPCs in an RPG

And even at the base of everything, a game that is 12 years later and 2 generations later should improve on things.

I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore. Eh, I'm done.

Puruzi

Banned
Comparing TTYD's toads and Color Splash's toads as a point for CS's variety is dumb because CS only has Toads when TTYD has a variety of original characters and toads. It's not close, and the character variety in CS sucks dick.

Lynx_7

You know, the whole "every npc is a Toad" business is a downer, and the fact that the Toads themselves are less unique than they had previously been also sucks, but I'm more willing to give this a chance than I was with SS.
Presentation-wise it looks absolutely gorgeous, and I just really, really want a new Paper Mario game to be on par with the first two, even if it takes an entirely different style. As long as the story and gameplay are on point, then I'll remain optimistic about this. I'll take what I can get.

Astral Dog

more accurate to say this will be the NSMBU to NSMB2/Wii imo.

it expands on the original game aesthetics and gameplay formula but many things are the same old, so for people that enjoyed SS this is a sure buy, people that hated that game might be difficult to turn around.

Simbabbad

I...don't understand.

Well, I couldn't care less about the number of female NPCs, and I think the different Toad designs in TTYD were lame. I think the Smurf approach is more charming, which I plainly stated in my post.

Also, I'd rather have this line of design that Super Paper Mario's one.

This being said, if no other character than Toads speak, then it's indeed weird, but I'm waiting to see.

There's no justification for Paper Mario's regressive development in certain areas.
Maybe there's nothing to "justify"?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I liked Sticker Star. I thought Paper Jam was a solid improvement over Dream Team. Had way less fun with Super Paper Mario than any of the others, even though it offered the most story wise. I'm casually optimistic about Colour Splash.

I would actually be sad if there were no intermissions :'( The Peach intermissions were my favourite in PM 64. The cake baking was my shit yyyeeeeessssss.

Sandfox

There kind of is when you're doing a direct sequel to one of the most hated Nintendo games since Metroid Other M, while on the surface not really adressing any of the core issues (i.e. having no identity).

That really depends on what you consider the core issues because it seems like they are addressing some of the common complaints you see about Sticker Star.

Mory Dunz

Echo chambers aren't healthy, you know.

The breakdown is probably:

- Liked by general public
- Critically regarded as "good" ( 75 meta. But stark dropoff compared to the rest of the series)
- Hated by the more core Paper Mario fans.

edit:
Then again maybe the general public isn't satisfied either.
Sales of Mario RPGs are falling off a effin cliff. And this likely will continue that trend.

Simbabbad

Personally hope this game fails so Nintendo will maybe listen to what fans want.
By this logic, Nintendo should make even more games like Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star since those two sold the most.

BTW, I don't even like Sticker Star, I think the gameplay just doesn't work, and it has tons of major issues I'm astonished went all the way to release. But I like the idea of making the series into an adventure game series, we need more of those. And frankly, the hate in these threads makes me love Color Splash by default.

Sales of Mario RPGs are falling off a effin cliff. And this likely will continue that trend.
Well, this game is precisely not an RPG. And Mario & Luigi games are extremely boring, I gave a chance to Dream Team, but yuck, only the first one is fun, apparently. Frankly, despite its flaws, I liked Sticker Star much more than Dream Team or Bowser's Inside Story.

Mory Dunz

By this logic, Nintendo should make even more games like Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star since those two sold the most.

BTW, I don't even like Sticker Star, I think the gameplay just doesn't work, and it has tons of major issues I'm astonished went all the way to release. But I like the idea of making the series into an adventure game series, we need more of those. And frankly, the hate in these threads makes me love Color Splash by default.

I'd rather an RPG, but I'm actually not against a Adventure game.

It's a two edged sword though.

If you're you're going to get rid of the rpg mechanics, badges, partners, exp, battle system, and make it an adventure game, that's fine.
But then you'd better up your game 10x in Level Crafting, Puzzle Solving, World Design, Means of Traversal, Overworld Interactibiliy (especially this).
I'm not asking for Zelda level. But you have to replace what you took away. You don't get to cheat by doing half baked rpg and half baked adventure.

If you're going adventure, I need real puzzles. And tools to solve those puzzles. Less time is spent on battle stuff, so put that time here.

Well, this game is precisely not an RPG. And Mario & Luigi games are extremely boring, I gave a chance to Dream Team, but yuck, only the first one is fun, apparently. Frankly, despite its flaws, I liked Sticker Star much more than Dream Team or Bowser's Inside Story.

SPM isn't really an rpg either.
How about "Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario sales are falling off a cliff"

Sticker Star sold 300,000 more than TTYD on a platform with nearly 3x the audience and for a long time could be found new for <$20. Please, don't characterize the situation as though Sticker Star was actually that successful - it actually has the worst attach ratio of any Paper Mario game, and when you have only sold 300,000 more than a game on the worst-selling Nintendo console (Wii U aside), odds are that you more than likely sold because of the 3DS, not because of any one quality to it.

Ultimately, Nintendo has plenty to justify. Why it decided to, objectively speaking, drain the series of creativity. Make it an adventure game if you want - you already changed genres with Super Paper Mario - but don't make it a dull, lifeless pile of trash in doing so. As Mory noted, you need to go really, really hard on the adventure gameplay and the level design if you want to make it a proper adventure game. When you're not pushing it to the limits of the adventure genre, it just comes off as them deciding that they wanted Paper Mario to appeal to casual gamers and decided that an adventure game could be something people could easily consume.

Blues1990

I hope we get an HD re-release of 'The Thousand-Year Door' at some point in the future. But that would depend on the sales for Colour Splash, & it seems that they're going to send this game out to die, very much like how 'Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash' was only made to pad out the Christmas season last year.

Top Bottom