• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Portugal claims Aonuma told them Zelda: Breath of the Wild has multiple endings

I'm bumping this thread because I saw something today which might be related to this earlier news story.

https://youtu.be/9n7vqDy6mqE?t=467 (@ 7 minutes 48 seconds)

Here Aonuma says outright that the final boss (Calamity Ganon?) is approachable from the very start of the game. This sounds like something some Nippon Ichi games have tried before, and has some similarities to Chrono Trigger or SaGa games as well. This could mean that it is up to the player how and when they "complete" the game, which might lead to different conclusions for the world depending on how much you have uncovered or fix aside from just beating the ultimate enemy?

Will be interesting to know whether you can technically defeat Ganon from the beginning. Obviously in turn based stuff like Chrono Trigger you need to be able to receive a certain amount of damage for it to be feasible to beat Lavos that you can't match the first time you are able to fight it, but since this is an action RPG, it might be possible to avoid all damage if you play perfectly (even if it takes hours because your weapon is so weak).

Majora

This is all 'speaking to a friend who knows someone in the game industry' type hearsay so don't take it as gospel, but I heard someone claiming that

the shrines work similarly to the star system in the 3D Marios. You can get an ending to the game if you complete 60 of them and the 4 main dungeons, but if you complete all of them you get the 'true' ending.

I did question how this fits in with the idea that you can go to the final boss straight from the outset and he said he said the same thing to his friend, who said he didn't know but he seemed very confident that was how it works. Maybe there's an ending for that situation, and two others for the ones I spoilered. Or maybe you can get to the boss from the outset but you need an item you can only get after completing 60 shrines to actually kill it.

Could be rubbish, but since we're speculating...

atr0cious

I'm bumping this thread because I saw something today which might be related to this earlier news story.

https://youtu.be/9n7vqDy6mqE?t=467 (@ 7 minutes 48 seconds)

Here Aonuma says outright that the final boss (Calamity Ganon?) is approachable from the very start of the game. This sounds like something some Nippon Ichi games have tried before, and has some similarities to Chrono Trigger or SaGa games as well. This could mean that it is up to the player how and when they "complete" the game, which might lead to different conclusions for the world depending on how much you have uncovered or fix aside from just beating the ultimate enemy?
I just want to know what the idea/mechanic Aonuma is using to figure out player intention that he said he came up with 20 years ago.

I can't wait any longer for this game!!! Last zelda i have played is Ocarina of Time!!! When it released. Before that was A link to the past and all before it. I really want to play this one.

Crazyorloco

Sweet. I'm going to be playing this for a long long long time.

I hope it's like majora's mask where the interactions with the side characters alter the ending.

Didn't link's awakening also have a different ending if you do not die?

Top Bottom