• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Survey (62,000 Surveyed): Gamers aren't excited by motion controls.

AlexSmash

Motion controls are only liked by people who fit either one of three categories,

1) Don't know any better and just enjoy it because it's there. The casual crowd.

2) Extreme Nintendo fanboys who think because the Wii sold well it's good for gaming and will ignore flaws because of fanboyism.

3) Core gamers who like to go against the common view of core gamers. Most core gamers hate iOS games and motion controls, but these gamers ignore all of the problems those bring because it's cool to go against the grain. They typically act in a douchey manner in their posts and have avatars of something incredibly dumb/weird or some dude or chick posing in some kind of suggestive pose. You know who you are.

4.) people who drown kittens and never had sex!!!

So what's your take on DDR? That's significantly easier with a joypad, a challenge with a dance platform. It's the *controller* which presents the challenge, there. You're implying that that's inherently wrong, and I challenge that point of view.
What does using a dance pad for a game specifically designed for your feet have to do with motion controls? A dance pad functions like a regular controller with buttons. Where you step is easily registered by the pad.

This is in contrast to motion controls where the technology just hasn't come far enough to be consistently reliable (imo), outside of doing very basic functions. And performing basic functions using motion controls feels more like a gimmick than a break through in gaming entertainment.

MYE

Motion controls are only liked by people who fit either one of three categories,

1) Don't know any better and just enjoy it because it's there. The casual crowd.

2) Extreme Nintendo fanboys who think because the Wii sold well it's good for gaming and will ignore flaws because of fanboyism.

3) Core gamers who like to go against the common view of core gamers. Most core gamers hate iOS games and motion controls, but these gamers ignore all of the problems those bring because it's cool to go against the grain. They typically act in a douchey manner in their posts and have avatars of something incredibly dumb/weird or some dude or chick posing in some kind of suggestive pose. You know who you are.

How did i miss this amazing post?

mclem

What does using a dance pad for a game specifically designed for your feet have to do with motion controls? A dance pad functions like a regular controller with buttons. Where you step is easily registered by the pad.

Yes, but the fact that you control it with your feet is critical; that's a new skill, a skill that hasn't been tested by previous controllers, and a skill you have to learn. On top of that, if you were to replace the dance pad with a D-pad, it'd be significantly easier to play. The control method is what's creating the difficulty in this situation, and it's much harder if you're inexperienced.

The most challenging thing when starting using a dance mat *isn't* actually pressing the tiles. The most challenging thing is understanding where to put your *weight* at any one time. You'll see a ton of first-time players stumbling when they realise they're having to move the foot that they're already putting their weight onto when they should have shifted their balance onto the other foot earlier. Understanding the way your own weight dictates what you can do is a new skill. You need to be willing to practice and learn the new skills required.

This is in contrast to motion controls where the technology just hasn't come far enough to be consistently reliable (imo), outside of doing very basic functions. And performing basic functions using motion controls feels more like a gimmick than a break through in gaming entertainment.

While I'd agree it's not perfect yet, it's reliable enough for the purposes of most games that use it - provided you're willing to practice and learn the new skills required. See the parallel I'm making?

I'd suggest that a key difference between the dance mat example and the motion control example is the fact that the *feedback* you get from failure when using a dance mat is clear; you stumble, you realise you can't lift the foot you're standing on, you plan around it in the future. Motion control can't offer tactile feedback like that, at least currently, so it's the responsibility of the game to inform you adequately about where you're failing, and I'd agree that many don't do that well enough - but I've played tons of other conventional games with inadequate feedback; on those I just experiment to try to learn things, so why shouldn't I apply exactly the same ideal to motion-control games?

I also think it's perhaps fair to suggest that the games in question don't make you *want* to practice and learn the skills in question - but the failing there lies with the *game*, not the control mechanism.

Top Bottom