• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm thinking about taking a break from gaming for the next week, until Starfield comes out

Drizzlehell

Banned
I think I may be getting a little burned out. I finished Immortals the other day, it was fun, but today Armored Core came out and I just couldn't bring myself to put it on yet, and it's like 9 PM right now for me. Idk why, with the amount of games that are coming out and me wanting to check them all out, it's starting to feel a little bit like work. I think I may have even avoided playing it subconsciously. Once I got off work, I went for a walk, then I came back home and did some weightlifting, listened to some music (which I haven't done in a while so I really enjoyed that), played some guitar, and now I'm thinking about maybe putting on a movie or something.

I'm kinda worried that once Starfield comes out, I will be so burned out by gaming, that it will simply not be exciting at all. That's why I think a week of gaming detox might help. My only worry is that I will start going nuts from boredom after 2 days, lol. I can't remember the last time I took a longer break from gaming that didn't involve me travelling somewhere. I can't imagine spending a week at home and just... not picking up a con at least once a day.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
PressFtoPayRespects.jpg

RagnarokIV

I'd do a short game or two. Stray is a recent one that's wonderful. Emily Is Away on PC is short and again very unique.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I can't blame you. Starfield release is once in a generation type of event. I'm taking a break myself. I haven't played anything in a week. All I can think about, gaming-wise is Starfield so there's no point in even starting another game.

Killer8

Is this like the No Fap equivalent support group but for gaming?

Soon we'll have people going 90 days without gaming to reboot their love of the hobby.

"Guys, I started playing COD after 90 days and I went 25-3 in my first game. The superpowers are real!"

Drizzlehell

Banned
Is this like the No Fap equivalent support group but for gaming?

Soon we'll have people going 90 days without gaming to reboot their love of the hobby.

"Guys, I started playing COD after 90 days and I went 25-3 in my first game. The superpowers are real!"
Nah, I'm not that delusional. But when shit starts to feel like work, that's kind of a signal that your brain needs a little reset, do something else.

TwiztidElf

I'm chilling just with non-narrative based games. A little bit of TotK post game, SF6, and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.
There is no way I could start something with narrative and commitment this week, despite workmates trying to hype me into Baldurs Gate.

One Piece live action and Wheel of Time season 2 both start this week too which helps.

John Bilbo

But for reals I think it is healthy to follow some other interests too. Even just pondering about life for an hour or two every once in a while can be helpful and orient you towards something you need or want to do.

I've personally been filming nature lately and have also played some guitar.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

It's good to take breaks once in a while. Gets your spirit up and gets you excited to play again. Gaming should be fun, not feel like work. Which it very much can these days, given how games are designed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
2023 where we are eating so good...this can happen.

Just take a break OP. Sounds like you've had some great gaming recently.

Watch some films. Or TV. Play something you can break off from.

I'm giving myself a week off but tempted to pick up armoured core for a blast as it looks awesome. 🤔

I'm just watching the expanse and managed to get to season 3 in a week. Don't think I'll be finished by end of next week but it's getting me so hyped for starfield.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
2023 where we are eating so good...this can happen.

Just take a break OP. Sounds like you've had some great gaming recently.

Watch some films. Or TV. Play something you can break off from.

I'm giving myself a week off but tempted to pick up armoured core for a blast as it looks awesome. 🤔

I'm just watching the expanse and managed to get to season 3 in a week. Don't think I'll be finished by end of next week but it's getting me so hyped for starfield.
Yeah, picking up a TV show may be a good idea too. I recently watched Peacemaker in one sitting and it was awesome but that was just one day away from gaming, lol.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I think I may be getting a little burned out. I finished Immortals the other day, it was fun, but today Armored Core came out and I just couldn't bring myself to put it on yet, and it's like 9 PM right now for me. Idk why, with the amount of games that are coming out and me wanting to check them all out, it's starting to feel a little bit like work. I think I may have even avoided playing it subconsciously. Once I got off work, I went for a walk, then I came back home and did some weightlifting, listened to some music (which I haven't done in a while so I really enjoyed that), played some guitar, and now I'm thinking about maybe putting on a movie or something.

I'm kinda worried that once Starfield comes out, I will be so burned out by gaming, that it will simply not be exciting at all. That's why I think a week of gaming detox might help. My only worry is that I will start going nuts from boredom after 2 days, lol. I can't remember the last time I took a longer break from gaming that didn't involve me travelling somewhere. I can't imagine spending a week at home and just... not picking up a con at least once a day.

Quit being a fucking pussy and play more videogames

Also jesus christ man you finished Immortals already? That's some autism level of speed son. Yeah maybe do take a pause.

OneDrop_

Neo Member

Is one week considered a break? A month is better. You remember/gain new hobbies and interests and when you decide to come back gaming feels better rather than another job.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I take "breaks" for weeks or even months sometimes when I play several games in a row, it's just a hobby, we all must probably have a bunch others 🤷‍♂️

Alebrije

When I feel.this way I just play some Rocket League matches, TLOU multiplayer or Division 2 missions.

I do this after finish a long game like FF16..

KungFucius

King Snowflake
OMG a whole week! I haven't been able to finish FFXVI for over a month and I have been telling myself I need to do that before I can touch anything else. That game after Zelda cooked my will to game to a dry well-done mess.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Can you also take a week long break (or longer ideally) from posting on neogaf too?
Now why you have to go around being a so awful for no reason? I don't even know who the hell you are.

If I ever offended you in the past to prompt this response - good. Kick rocks.

Top Bottom