• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.php

With those boxes, it would sell BILLIONS
Hahaha. You never know

MisterHero

Where's my Unova version? :mad:

Also, I'm pretty sure that the most popular version would be Sinnoh, since that's what most of the current target audience started on.
Back-compatibility would be safe with the DS games. I mainly just want them to stop making parallel region versions and stuff them into one game.

Or maybe all regions will be in the game, but the version could determine where and what you start with. That'd be the War & Peace of videogames.

Box

Eh, you guys worry too much about the minor details of balancing.

Sure, I think it has turned out better that they've smoothed some of the edges. It certainly works better for the power players on the competitive end. Generations 1, 2, and even 3 had some rough edges, but millions of people played and loved the old games despite that.

I don't think that the balance tweaks have made that much of a difference on how people enjoy the game. And I don't think that, when looking at the big picture, they change how you play the game very much. You have to be really into Pokemon and looking at things really closely for the balance tweaks to look like big changes.

Qurupeke

It seems there'll be some sort of tourney going on - whether there's any more remains to be seen.

Heh, every time I watch this something really crazy happens. I don't know if it's coincidence... The other time, I think there were some people on the back of some other people in Pokemon costumes and they were doing a race or something like that. Crazy stuff.

Diffense

Dragon attacks need high base power and few resistances to be worth it. Remember that Dragon attacks weren't that common competitively (even on Dragons!) before Gen IV when Outrage (bumped from 90-120 power) and Draco Meteor was given to almost all Dragon Pokemon. The reason for this is that Dragon hits almost nothing super-effectively so the moves and Pokemon need raw power to make up for it. I think Dragons are finally living up to the hype now without being impossible to manage.

But about the announcement...sounds like Gen VI to me...

Eh, you guys worry too much about the minor details of balancing.

Sure, I think it has turned out better that they've smoothed some of the edges. It certainly works better for the power players on the competitive end. Generations 1, 2, and even 3 had some rough edges, but millions of people played and loved the old games despite that.

I don't think that the balance tweaks have made that much of a difference on how people enjoy the game. And I don't think that, when looking at the big picture, they change how you play the game very much. You have to be really into Pokemon and looking at things really closely for the balance tweaks to look like big changes.
Well, all the in-depth changes behind the scenes serve to give people a reason to put more time into the game beyond the singleplayer - I don't think that the game would have such a competitive scene today if GF just kept the movesets/mechanics at G1/2 level.

Also, it has effects on how people who don't know about the changes play the game. The pool of usable team members widens, and everyone becomes more capable in different situations depending on what changes are made.

Box

Well, all the in-depth changes behind the scenes serve to give people a reason to put more time into the game beyond the singleplayer - I don't think that the game would have such a competitive scene today if GF just kept the movesets/mechanics at G1/2 level.

Also, it has effects on how people who don't know about the changes play the game. The pool of usable team members widens, and everyone becomes more capable in different situations depending on what changes are made.

It's a part of the game that deserves attention.

But it's not the main part of the game.

And as it stands, it's a part of the game that is still very difficult to approach.

The kind of tweaks that normally happen between generations have not and will not change that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dragon attacks need high base power and few resistances to be worth it. Remember that Dragon attacks weren't that common competitively (even on Dragons!) before Gen IV when Outrage (bumped from 90-120 power) and Draco Meteor was given to almost all Dragon Pokemon. The reason for this is that Dragon hits almost nothing super-effectively so the moves and Pokemon need raw power to make up for it. I think Dragons are finally living up to the hype now without being impossible to manage.

But about the announcement...sounds like Gen VI to me...

Pretty much. Everything needs to be 80+ in power or it just isn't worth it (unless it has a built in whirlwind like Dragontail).

Berordn

And as it stands, it's a part of the game that is still very difficult to approach.

The kind of tweaks that normally happen between generations have not and will not change that.

I'm pretty sure the battle system is still the primary thing they develop in the games. They've branched out massively since generation 1, but it's still the main draw.

Box

I'm pretty sure the battle system is still the primary thing they develop in the games. They've branched out massively since generation 1, but it's still the main draw.

But the battle system hasn't actually changed that much. It's been tweaked such that the differences are only a big deal if you're a high-level competitive player. And that competitive angle is not the main draw and is very difficult to get into because of the effort required.

Brickhunt

I'm not a competitive player, so I don't know what would be tge consequences of such action, but I think Gamefreak should remove the Dark-type immunity to psychic. It doesn't make any sense of why a creature that fight pragmatically is immune to invisible magical brainwave laser beams. And also because fuck, I want my fight/psychic/dark starter trio D:< (btw, shouldn't the Dark type be effective against Fighting? My impression is that a honorable and fair fighter is at disadvantage against a pragmatic and cheating one...unless we go by movie tropes where the good guy always wins without lowering it's standards)

Qurupeke

I'm not a competitive player, so I don't know what would be tge consequences of such action, but I think Gamefreak should remove the Dark-type immunity to psychic. It doesn't make any sense of why a creature that fight pragmatically is immune to invisible magical brainwave laser beams. And also because fuck, I want my fight/psychic/dark starter trio D:< (btw, shouldn't the Dark type be effective against Fighting? My impression is that a honorable and fair fighter is at disadvantage against a pragmatic and cheating one...unless we go by movie tropes where the good guy always wins without lowering it's standards)

Fighting is Light type in Japan, so I guess it's good guy always wins.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best

Yes!
Screw Fire/Water/Grass teaching about type advantages/disadvantages, that's obvious and common knowledge. Not many new fans will know Dark is good against Psychic, and it'll be a good way to teach 'em.

It's a primary concern of theirs - along with deciding which Pokemon will be included in X game, they decide its typing, its moveset, its abilities, whether it'll have exclusive moves and how powerful they'll be, and how they'll fit in with the rest of the cast. That's along with determining the moveset of pretty much every single Pokemon with regards to new/old moves, and determining which moves need buffs/debuffs and what impact that has on battling. And deciding which breed chains to alter, what the TM selection will be, etc. etc. It's a lot of work that goes behind one person spamming Hyper Beam again and again.

It's like... you could say that Street Fighter 4 is just the same as SF2 is the same as X other fighting game series, and that people don't buy it based on how many frames certain moves take, and that it's too hard to get into the competitive scene anyway because you'd have to spend time learning about frame links and prediction and all this stuff. But it doesn't mean the deep stuff doesn't matter, just that it's there. And if it's good, then people will know the basics from a fun top layer, and will be intrigued by what lies beneath.

Excuse the rambling, train of thought.

Berordn

But the battle system hasn't actually changed that much. It's been tweaked such that the differences are only a big deal if you're a high-level competitive player. And that competitive angle is not the main draw and is very difficult to get into because of the effort required.

But it really has changed, even if it's fundamentally the same because it's turn based. We can completely ignore EVs and IVs as those are farily obtuse and will mean nothing to someone just picking up the games, but things like natures, abilities, held items and the physical/special split are right there, in your face. A casual player would be well aware of these changes, and they've bled over into other parts of the game as well. Abilities affect various things in the overworld, characters in B2/W2 tell you about them, and you can always ask Cheren for a detailed explanation. Held items are all over the place, various characters will explain natures and even the status screen tells you what they increase and decrease now.

Roto13

Yes!
Screw Fire/Water/Grass teaching about type advantages/disadvantages, that's obvious and common knowledge. Not many new fans will know Dark is good against Psychic, and it'll be a good way to teach 'em.

I'm *still* not super sure about the type strengths and weaknesses of steel and dark.

ffdgh

steel is weak to fighting, Fire and ground....and resist everything else but water and electric.

dark....bug and fighting

Diffense

I'm *still* not super sure about the type strengths and weaknesses of steel and dark.

There's actually quite a bit to remember with a grid of 17x17 types that isn't symmetric (eg. fighting vs poison does 1/2 damage but poison vs fighting does normal damage). People who want the type chart to change each game really aren't thinking things through.

Qurupeke

That explains it, again thank you for making me understand. :)

Smash starts in 30 minutes?

You're welcome. Generally, PTCG has fewer types and this causes some really weird things. Like some Mewtwo being weak in psychic types. Fortunately, Dragon types have been separated so I guess other will follow some time.

So, is there a livestream for Smash?

There are several ways you can watch TVTokyo.

The one with the lowest "lag", and the lowest quality, is through KeyHoleTV:

http://www.oiseyer.com/index3-e.php

You'll have to make a random uname/pword, but once you get in, click the button on top, and scroll down to select &#12486;&#12524;&#12499;&#26481;&#20140;.

Second way, with medium quality and medium lag (1 min. or so behind KeyHole) is through this stream link (quote the post to see it):

Open that link up in VLC or something (under VLC, it'll be "Open Network Stream"), and it'll play.

Third way, high quality/high lag (4-5 minutes behind KeyHole) is at this site:

http://www.117yes.com/

On the list on the right, click on &#22269;&#22806;, and scroll down and click on &#26085;&#26412;&#19996;&#20140;&#30005;&#35270;&#21488;.

Box

But it really has changed, even if it's fundamentally the same because it's turn based. We can completely ignore EVs and IVs as those are farily obtuse and will mean nothing to someone just picking up the games, but things like natures, abilities, held items and the physical/special split are right there, in your face. A casual player would be well aware of these changes, and they've bled over into other parts of the game as well. Abilities affect various things in the overworld, characters in B2/W2 tell you about them, and you can always ask Cheren for a detailed explanation. Held items are all over the place, various characters will explain natures and even the status screen tells you what they increase and decrease now.

They're nice little features that add little things to the game. I generally like them. I don't think that they're unimportant. I just don't think they make such a huge difference to how you play the game. All you need to understand to beat the game what type matchups are and how to grind. And even then, adding new types doesn't change how type matchups fundamentally work.

As an example, what I'm getting at is that Pokemon Red isn't an awful game because, for instance, sleep is unbalanced. It's a very good game. It's just that, for that reason, it has difficulties being played at a very high competitive level. Fixing sleep didn't make the game way better. It made one part of the game way better, a part of the game that I feel is overemphasized.

Qurupeke

You'll have to make a random uname/pword, but once you get in, click the button on top, and scroll down to select &#12486;&#12524;&#12499;&#26481;&#20140;.

Second way, with medium quality and medium lag (1 min. or so behind KeyHole) is through this stream link (quote the post to see it):

Open that link up in VLC or something (under VLC, it'll be "Open Network Stream"), and it'll play.

On the list on the right, click on &#22269;&#22806;, and scroll down and click on &#26085;&#26412;&#19996;&#20140;&#30005;&#35270;&#21488;.

Thanks very much! I'll wait a 30-40 minutes thought because there's no way that they will announce something at the start.

Some may disagree with this but i think for the casual player those changes are bad and i dislike them as well. When you have won the game it's great and adds a whole new level of customization to your pokemon. When you are just running through the singleplayer i just get annoyed because i am playing with really subpar pokemon most of the time.

Even if you like that stuff it barely adds to the SP campaign anyway.

They're nice little features that add little things to the game. I generally like them. I don't think that they're unimportant. I just don't think they make such a huge difference to how you play the game. All you need to understand to beat the game what type matchups are and how to grind. And even then, adding new types doesn't change how type matchups fundamentally work.

As an example, what I'm getting at is that Pokemon Red isn't an awful game because, for instance, sleep is unbalanced. It's a very good game. It's just that, for that reason, it has difficulties being played at a very high competitive level. Fixing sleep didn't make the game way better. It made one part of the game way better, a part of the game that I feel is overemphasized.

If anything i wish they would put more emphasis on competitive play, there is so much potential there.

Do I download viewer or broadcaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom