• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

India declares a day of national mourning on Sunday for Mr Lee Kuan Yew - See more at

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW DELHI: Government has declared national mourning on Sunday as a mark of respect to the former Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew.

National flag will be flown at half-mast throughout the country and there will be no official entertainment on Sunday, Mr Lee's funeral day, an official statement said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be attending the funeral of Mr Lee.

91-year-old Mr Lee, Singapore's founding father who dominated the country's politics for more than half a century, died of severe pneumonia on March 23.
- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...ning-sunday-mr-lee-20150#sthash.HXJy6oi5.dpuf

I never heard of this type of things happening before :0

And i never expect the relationship of India and Singapore to be so deep.

Showing respect is pretty normal, but declaring a national day of mourning is rather strange.

Wonder what, if any, domestic issues they are trying to divert attention away from with this bizarre move.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
First post nails it, why?

I didnt know there was much of a relationship between these countries?
Showing respect is pretty normal, but declaring a national day of mourning is rather strange.

Wonder what, if any, domestic issues they are trying to divert attention away from with this bizarre move.

The current Indian government wants to drastically revamp and become less corrupt, more efficient, and more effective, with a stronger focus on economic development. Singapore is held up as a model to follow in that regard; and a more relevant one as compared to, say, Sweden or Canada. I expect this is to get a small boost in public support for any Singapore-style policies India might try to implement.

There's also a pretty substantial and significant Indian minority in Singapore, and the countries aren't very far from each other, so the countries have some built-in ties.

Window

Besides what Chairman Yang said, nearly 10% of Singapore's population is of Indian descent so that may also play a part.

The current Indian government wants to drastically revamp and become less corrupt, more efficient, and more effective, with a stronger focus on economic development. Singapore is held up as a model to follow in that regard; and a more relevant one as compared to, say, Sweden or Canada. I expect this is to get a small boost in public support for any Singapore-style policies India might try to implement.

There's also a pretty substantial and significant Indian minority in Singapore, and the countries aren't very far from each other, so the countries have some built-in ties.

Thank you, very interesting

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They both have ties being former British colonies.

More specifically, both were run by the East India Company and after the nationalization of the EIC Singapore was a subdivision of the Bengal Presidency and run from India. When the East India Company first purchased the right to Singapura Island, the population was about 1,000, so they shipped in Indian labourers to build their infrastructure there. Until some point around the mid-1830s, Singapore was majority Indian by population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom