• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singapore's 50-year relationship with US to be celebrated at White House state dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/01/sing...e-celebrated-at-white-house-state-dinner.html

When Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong joins U.S. President Barack Obama for a state dinner of American Wagyu beef at the White House on Tuesday, it will be a diplomatic coup for the small city-state.

Obama has thrown just 11 state dinners since he became president in 2009, in stark contrast compared to 1960s predecessor Lyndon Johnson, who held 54 state dinners in a single presidential term.

Singapore will be the first Southeast Asian country to have a political leader honored with a U.S. state dinner, and only the fifth Asian nation after India, China, Japan and South Korea.

And it is expected to be a lavish affair, with a preview of the menu showing it will include lime basil from first lady Michelle Obama's own garden, plus a dessert of peach sangria cake accented with coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves in celebration of Asia, and a performance by U.S. singer Chrisette Michelle.

"These state dinners are extremely rare ... The fact that Singapore has been invited for such a visit and the state dinner is a tremendous compliment," Judith Fergin, executive director of the American Chamber of Commerce in Singapore (AmCham Singapore), explained.

With anti-trade and protectionist rhetoric playing a prominent part in the U.S. presidential election, with both the GOP nominee Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton criticizing the TPP, there have been concerns that after seven years of negotiations, the deal would be scuppered.

In June, Singapore's Minister of Foreign Affairs Vivian Balakrishnan highlighted the importance of the TPP to U.S.-Asia relations, telling a forum in Washington that "many leaders in Asia have gone out on a limb to support the TPP" and that the trade deal would be a litmus test to America's commitment to Asia, The Straits Times reported.

Ahead of Prime Minister Lee's visit to the U.S., a White House press secretary said that discussions at the stake dinner would focus on how the two leaders could push for "rule-based order" in the Asia Pacific.

Singapore-US ties will remain steadfast, regardless of election outcome: PM Lee

In a short speech at the White House South Lawn, where US President Barack Obama welcomed the Prime Minister at an official arrival ceremony before their meeting in the Oval Office, Mr Lee said Singapore will maintain its bipartisan links with whichever party wins the elections in November.

“We will continue to build and deepen our economic and security relationships. We are partners in tackling the scourge of ISIS and other forms of violent extremism. Our armed forces take part in exercises together and interact regularly,” he said.

As the US rebalanced its foreign policy towards the Asia-Pacific, Mr Obama noted that "Singapore - and Prime Minister Lee in particular - have been solid-rock partners".

"Singapore is an anchor of our presence in the region – we stand together for a regional order where every nation large and small plays and trades by the same rules and we stand together to meet the threats of the 21st century from terrorism to the spread of disease to climate change," said Mr Obama. "In this work, we draw strength from our people – two societies built on multiculturalism and on merit."

The US President added: "In the US, we call ourselves a melting pot of different races and religions and creeds. In Singapore, it is ‘rojak’ – different parts united in a harmonious whole. We’re bound by the belief that no matter who you are, if you work hard and play by the rules you will make it. What Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew once said of his country can be said of us: Both are populations of triers, prepared to try anything to improve ourselves. We have only the future to go in quest of."

Prata me if old.

Zereta

Singaporean here. Proud to see this. I have many criticisms of our government and ultimately for what I want to do with my life, Singapore isn't the place for me (Incidentally, I'm studying in America now) but I cannot stress how underappreciated Singapore is sometimes.

I'm a minority here and as with any country, sometimes suffer from slight bouts of racism but Singapore is secure, safe, economically strong and while highly restrictive and limiting, I can't disagree that our political leaders for the most part are best in class.

They deserve this honor.

Part of me was also hoping the Prime Minister would be like, "Off the record, there's no way Donald Trump would win right? I mean, it doesn't make sense..."

Also I can't stress enough how much I want to hear Obama say the word rojak.

Real talk though, I'm glad to see they're pulling out the red carpets for us and you should see the YouTube video about the White House chef talking about Singapore/Asian cuisine, it's truly an honor, it's just unfortunate that it gets swept aside for all the Trump news.

Is the Prime Minister an asshole elsewhere? Just from the press conference I saw, he seemed like a level-headed amicable guy, but I don't know much about him to feel secure enough to say I like him.

I'd love to see Singapore, it looks like a pretty awesome place.

Jintor

Is the Prime Minister an asshole elsewhere? Just from the press conference I saw, he seemed like a level-headed amicable guy, but I don't know much about him to feel secure enough to say I like him.

It's like if Malaysia was more autocratic and slightly less corrupt, i think

Think we can get Obama to eat some durian?

My wife and I spent several days in Singapore and we were really impressed with just how clean, safe, and orderly everything was. For better or worse, it was as close as I've seen to a "utopian society", and yes this comes at the cost of some heavy censorship. City was gorgeous with some insanely awesome, upscale infrastructure and nightlife.

We almost ended up living there, but in the end that was probably for the best since the press is heavily censored/controlled; media and entertainment, like movies for example, is under constant scrutiny by the government and subject to the censors. The Wolf of Wall Street had MINUTES of footage cut from it before it was allowed to play in Singapore. That shit would have driven me nuts.

No, he's pretty vanilla lol. In a good way.

I get that recently we have a few Asian heads of state that have been saying some crazy stuff but for better or worse that isn't Singapore's style.

I don't think he can handle it ^^;

But mad respect if he does, I can't recall any westerners who could deal with it.

Renekton

Singapore is far less autocratic. With NSC bill and rapid replacement of officials with Najib loyalists, we are fast approaching dictatorship here in Malaysia.

SG not even 1% as corrupt as our country, corruption is insanely bad here. The public sector took cues from our corrupt PM, and the judges can be bought.

Edit: I think white house is showing Singapork more love because Malaysia is selling out to China (for helping bail out 1MDB).

Singapore to increase contribution to multinational counter-ISIS coalition: PM Lee

MINDEF added in its media release that SAF's upcoming deployment of a medical support team to Iraq will be similar to previous its medical deployments during Operation Blue Ridge in Afghanistan.

In his Facebook post, Dr Ng wrote: "The SAF medical team when deployed will take care of both soldiers and civilians injured, as they did in Afghanistan."

"The SAF’s medical team will augment the coalition’s capacity to provide medical services to members of the coalition forces as well as the local Iraqi population," stated MINDEF.

"The SAF will first send a needs assessment and survey team to ascertain specific needs, before determining the composition and size of the medical support team
."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/majulah-singapura/3008870.html

“Now, we all know how seriously Singaporeans take their food. In Singapore, even the street vendors – the hawker stalls – earn Michelin stars, which creates some pressure this evening. We have a lot to live up to. We were tempted to offer each of you a Singapore Sling or some chili crab.

“However, for those of you who know its unmistakable scent – which never seems to go away – you’ll understand why we are not serving a fruit known as durian here in the White House,” the US President said.

Well that answers that question

My wife and I spent several days in Singapore and we were really impressed with just how clean, safe, and orderly everything was. For better or worse, it was as close as I've seen to a "utopian society", and yes this comes at the cost of some heavy censorship. City was gorgeous with some insanely awesome, upscale infrastructure and nightlife.

We almost ended up living there, but in the end that was probably for the best since the press is heavily censored/controlled; media and entertainment, like movies for example, is under constant scrutiny by the government and subject to the censors. The Wolf of Wall Street had MINUTES of footage cut from it before it was allowed to play in Singapore. That shit would have driven me nuts.

Don't forget the threat of beatings, and death penalty.

Also I forgot, is it illegal to be gay in Singapore still?

By threat you mean enforcing the law, and by beating you mean caning.

I've checked recently and The anti-gay laws are complicated and honestly absurdly specific. Basically it's only illegal if two males have sex, lesbians are fine. It's rarely enforced and If you're concerned whether openly gay people are arrested in public then you don't have to worry cause we have our own big gay pride event called "pink dot" and nobody was arrested.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Gays are not illegal in Singapore. There is a yearly gay pride event.

If you are put off by the death penalty for some serious crimes and drug possession, I'll be honest, Singaporeans do not want you here.

By threat you mean enforcing the law, and by beating you mean caning.

I've checked recently and The anti-gay laws are complicated and honestly absurdly specific. Basically it's only illegal if two males have sex, lesbians are fine. It's rarely enforced and If you're concerned whether openly gay people are arrested in public then you don't have to worry cause we have our own big gay pride event called "pink dot" and nobody was arrested.

Gays are not illegal in Singapore. There is a yearly gay pride event.

If you are put off by the death penalty for some serious crimes and drug possession, I'll be honest, Singaporeans do not want you here.

2014 - Singapore maintains laws banning homosexuality among men
https://www.hrw.org/news/2014/10/29/singapore-court-ruling-major-setback-gay-rights

Atop of that there are no laws protecting gay people from discrimination.

As for 'serious crimes and drug possession' the death penalty include:

500 grammes of cannabis (§5 and §7, (6)(b));
1000 grammes of cannabis mixture (§5 and §7, (7)(b));
200 grammes of cannabis resin (§5 and §7, (8)(b));

Death, for having 1 pound of weed. Yeah, that's real serious. And I'm an individual who has never touched weed in my life and find nothing about it or those who use it appealing. But do they deserve death? Absolutely not. And caning by itself is appalling and should not be defended by any reasonable person.

Singapore is a country full of great people, but its laws and human rights status are nothing to be proud of.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
https://www.hrw.org/news/2014/10/29/singapore-court-ruling-major-setback-gay-rights

Death, for having 1 pound of weed. Yeah, that's real serious. And I'm an individual who has never touched weed in my life and find nothing about it or those who use it appealing. But do they deserve death? Absolutely not. And caning by itself is appalling and should not be defended by any reasonable person.

Singapore is a country full of great people, but its laws and human rights status are nothing to be proud of.

The ban is on "unnatural sex" of which sex between men is one but it has never been enforced since our independence. Also, gays are not banned, you can't seem to be able to tell the difference, so I will not argue the point any more.

As for death penalty for drug possession, we don't do things so that you can be proud of us. Let me assure you of that. If you think drugs are fine and drug pushers don't deserve the drug penalty, great, that's your point of view and there are such places for you. Strike Singapore from your list.

The ban is on "unnatural sex" of which sex between men is one but it has never been enforced since our independence. Also, gays are not banned, you can't seem to be able to tell the difference, so I will not argue the point any more.

The "unnatural sex" is the defining aspect of being gay. It does not matter wether or not it is enforced, because the option to harass and harm others using the law is still there. At a fundamental level, the law says that male gays are undesirable and criminal.

Branduil

As for death penalty for drug possession, we don't do things so that you can be proud of us. Let me assure you of that. If you think drugs are fine and drug pushers don't deserve the drug penalty, great, that's your point of view and there are such places for you. Strike Singapore from your list.

Impressive rhetorical feat to make the person who thinks people shouldn't be murdered for having weed or harassed for being gay is the immature one.

I won't argue with you about the homosexual laws because i agree that they are absurd and impractical. It especially stood out because of how much we talk about racial and religious harmony.

Drug Laws, canning and death penalty... You're entitled to your opinions I guess. From a western point of view it certainly seems that way, but for some of us those are important tools to maintain order.

duckroll

It's pointless to debate about the technicality of whether homosexuality is illegal in Singapore. No need to try and defend it. The law is wrong, and more than that the promoted social climate towards homosexuality is wrong. It doesn't matter that the law is pretty much never enforced. It remains there intentionally, not by accident. It goes hand in hand with the media guidelines where homosexuality should not be "promoted" in any way. this means that innocuous scenes of same-sex characters kissing is not allowed on television, homosexual scenes and storylines automatically bump a rating up to adult classification for films, and homosexual sex scenes are treated very differently from hetreosexual sex scenes (ie: not allowed). Obama's comments on homosexual equality were edited out of his interview broadcast here. That's how nonsensical it is. I feel that on a whole people here aren't homophobic, but how the government stays conservative on this issue is nothing to be proud of.

Polari

They still have caning, mandatory death penalty for offenses ranging from murder to minor drug possession, homosexuality is outlawed and repressive controls over the media.

Good to see Iran's relationship with the US celebrated with a White House state dinner.

Defuser

They still have caning, mandatory death penalty for offenses ranging from murder to minor drug possession, homosexuality is outlawed and repressive controls over the media.

Good to see Iran's relationship with the US celebrated with a White House state dinner.

Are seriously comparing Iran to Singapore?

Impressive rhetorical feat to make the person who thinks people shouldn't be murdered for having weed or harassed for being gay is the immature one.
Huh, it's fine if you like to smoke weed. No one is stopping you if you do it in a place that allows it. Singapore is well-known to be against illegal drug use, you don't knowing come over and smoke your weed and expect the law to change in your favour. An mature person will not and childishly criticize the country for doing something wrong, he of she will not do drug there and can easily do it somewhere where it is allowed.

About gays being harassed here, sure there are groups that are against LGBT like even in the US (not surprising they are also religious groups) . The law have never been in forced for years and what most agree is that with time it will be removed.

duckroll

I for one am happy to see my Prime Minister welcomed so warmly by the leader of a country which struggles to have a proper healthcare system, has a police force the people believe to be staffed with racist murderers, and showcases to the world a presidential candidate who wants to deport citizens based on their race and religion.

Don't know why he's wasting his time visiting a third world country though.

If Singapore was infallible, the number one hobby of its people wouldn't be complaining :p

Singapore is not perfect but let's not enter hyperbolic territory by claiming we are secretly a third world country.

In fairness to Singapore, Reporters Without Borders ranks them 15 places above Iran in the 2016 World Press Freedom index, at 154 out of 180, as opposed to 169.
I won't defend our media, the only good thing is there is limited censorship on the Internet and you can easily find good alternative media. Let not mention about click bait alternative media and dishonest alternative media that outright lies that only deserved to be shutdown. Too bad the mainstream media is bias and is transparent in how they defend and over praise the ruling government and exaggerate whenever the opposition make any mistakes.

Zereta

It's pointless to debate about the technicality of whether homosexuality is illegal in Singapore. No need to try and defend it. The law is wrong, and more than that the promoted social climate towards homosexuality is wrong. It doesn't matter that the law is pretty much never enforced. It remains there intentionally, not by accident. It goes hand in hand with the media guidelines where homosexuality should not be "promoted" in any way. this means that innocuous scenes of same-sex characters kissing is not allowed on television, homosexual scenes and storylines automatically bump a rating up to adult classification for films, and homosexual sex scenes are treated very differently from hetreosexual sex scenes (ie: not allowed). Obama's comments on homosexual equality were edited out of his interview broadcast here. That's how nonsensical it is. I feel that on a whole people here aren't homophobic, but how the government stays conservative on this issue is nothing to be proud of.

This, 100%.

Our government has done amazing things to ensure the country does well but it's crackdown on any dissent, any form of negativity towards the government (Look up Amos Yeo for a recent example), its strict laws and form of governance is outdated and disgusting.

Its like the society has progressed considerably more than the government dares to, and its upsetting. Which is half the reason I left the country to attend a US college and perhaps start a life there.

blackjaw

I've been to Singapore many times and the people are always so friendly. I always look forward to my trips there. Beautiful country.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

These are stuffs that I think other countries should learn and copy, honestly.

I also wouldn't have been able to handle the price of video games there. Worse than Canada, on par with Australia!

Singapore has crazy, indefensible laws. The government isn't gay-friendly, that's for damn sure. Homosexual activity is HIGHLY secretive for a reason.

They also have this random, weird law where you're not allowed to lounge around naked in your own home (seriously, look it up). I doubt it's enforced, but someone could easily call the police if they spotted you through your window.

I also wouldn't have been able to handle the price of video games there. Worse than Canada, on par with Australia!

Singapore has crazy, indefensible laws. The government isn't gay-friendly, that's for damn sure. Homosexual activity is HIGHLY secretive for a reason.

They also have this random, weird law where you're not allowed to lounge around naked in your own home (seriously, look it up). I doubt it's enforced, but someone could easily call the police if they spotted you through your window.
Games can be cheap or decently priced if you know where to look, if you are not local(as in a westerner tourists ) some will try to overcharge you.
The law is for those perverts who like to expose themselves to the neighbours. Since our public houseing are designed in a way to maximise free land, you can easily see into someone house if you're unlucky. Some perverts made used of this to flash themselves and claim that they are in the right since they are in their own house. Never heard of accidental exposure being charged.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's hyperbolic to compare Singapore to Iran. Though while i still admire LKY being able to turn Singapore into the state that it is today, quite a number of his values shouldn't be the one Singapore continue to hold now that it has reached this state.

Wanace

Been once, I'll never go back. Food is good, weather is nice, city is clean and beautiful, people are friendly, but it felt like a sterile version of Hong Kong.

duckroll

lol what does that even mean?

I kinda get it. Singapore is a much newer city state, and we have a much smaller cultural footprint. There's a good mix of different cultural influences on modern Singapore but it does feel like an artificial construct at times. Not in a bad way but comes off as very curated rather than naturally expressed.

Also I call bullshit on the game prices. Prices on NA and UK PSN are more expensive than in Singapore, Nvm Australia lol

I'll back this up; comparing prices with Australia is a massive exaggeration. Our prices are more in line with the US, and can be cheaper or more expensive depending on where you get it from, or where the shops get it from.

Duckroll is Singaporean? Mind blown.

ElyrionX

Caning and death penalties are fine by me. Don't do stupid shit and nothing happens to you.

Homosexuality is technically outlawed but never enforced. Homosexuals are open about their sexual orientation here and are increasingly public with their affections.

Our media is a complete joke, no arguments about that from me lol.

trembli0s

I've loved Singapore when I went. Glorious food, immaculate streets, great clubs, etc.

While the anti-gay laws are dumb and demeaning, I have zero issue wth the punishments for drug peddling.

John Blade

So many Singaporean here. Might want to ask you out if I ever go back there. Went there quite a few times there and it's a nice country to visit. Just that they isnt much to do once you get through all the tourist attraction. Very clean and nice place and don't have to worry too much of crime so, you can go out for a walk (or pictures taking for me) without any major fear.

All this laws stuff is funny to see here as we like to point out the negative issue of Singapore. The country have some issue and those issue you post isn't important right now. The cost of living and housing is something they need to worry right now as living there is getting expensive and harder now (why live there when I can own a home in Malaysia while drive to work to Singapore). I am always amazed how fast Singapore grow from where they were to now. Just wondering where the current PM will take it in the future.

Still, this stuff (the meeting with US president) is a good thing for the country and hope this will continue with their relationship.

Yeah, while I have no illusion that Singapore have many flaws worth criticizing, I was hoping We would focus on the issues brought up by this meeting of the two leaders.

Notably TPP and US' influence over Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom