• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

daydream

Banned
My votes for November, as always in no particular order, with a short description (rf. to previous posts of mine for more impressions). A lot of these are free, so don't hesitate give them a try:

Nuclear Throne: Really fun and frantic top-down rogue something-or-other shooter with splendid spritework and addictive gameplay.

Beyond Perception: Short proof of concept that works on almost every level. There's no excuse not to play this.

Fakteur: Story-driven experience with a lovely visual style and a clever way to influence the narrative.

Cave! Cave! Deus Videt: Visual novel with a striking look and over-the-top story involving Hieronymus Bosch.

Whispers of the Goddess: Really polished for a student game, solid puzzle mechanic and a great soundtrack.

The Stanley Parable: No need to introduce this. Indulge your inner deconstructivist and avoid getting your tongue stuck in your cheek.

Heavy Bullets: Fun roguelike time-waster with a groovy look and perfect controls (dat movement).

Specter: Mechanically reminiscent of Rogue Legacy (without the "Rogue), this is actually a 2d action platformer with a level structure. Looks great and plays reasonably well.

Paradis Perdus: Exploration game à la Dear Esther with a frightening twist and a trippy Darwinia-like aesthetic.

Null Divide+: NES-inspired top-down shooter that "gets" it. In case you need a break from today's videogames now and then (I know I do).

---------------
I gave Probably Archery a shot before writing this up, and frankly, it does nothing for me.

Voting is really small and gif-less this time around, have got psych essays and tests due :p

Fakteur
Monochroma
Heavy Bullets
Chrono Disfunglement
Actual Sunlight
Cave! Cave! Deus Videt
Luxuria Superbia
Beyond Perception

Didn't get time to try Cornerstone. Haven't gotten around to Stanley Parable yet, that's what next month will be for.

Voting is really small and gif-less this time around, have got psych essays and tests due :p

Fakteur
Monochroma
Heavy Bullets
Chrono Disfunglement
Actual Sunlight
Cave! Cave! Deus Videt
Luxuria Superbia

Didn't get time to try Cornerstone. Haven't gotten around to Stanley Parable yet, that's what next month will be for.
Off topic, but you're a psych major, too?

Cool, yeah I'm still an undergrad, finishing up senior year. Psychology is so fascinating.

And fitting to both psych and gaming,
The Psychology Behind Steam’s Summer Sale

Anyway, nice to see Daily's and Flash Sales on the front page again.

Cool read. I'm pretty sure I heard that there are psychologists at Valve, so all that kind of marketing techniques (artificial scarcity, psychological reactance, endowed progress effect, commitment, reward schedules) being employed makes sense. I see marketing as psychology used for evil :p

I think I bought only 1 game on this recent sale, I've stopped getting into this and have focused more on my backlog. Plus, sometimes I'd rather compensate developers with the original price.

Indie games has failed :/
Windforge ain't gonna be funded :/

Now I've only got Starbound.

Well, I guess that's that.

4479846+_e28c361512db83ad0354599cc2e5be1f.jpg

Ahh, saw this at a Belgian gaming event recently. Didn't try it out, but it looked alright. Not the same Grin as the Bionic Commando folks by the way.

Yeah, I was like, "didn't they disband?" lol

Just found this out, but other than Might and Delight (Pid, Shelter), former devs also became Overkill (Payday 1 and 2).

elyetis

Oh god am I addicted to One Way Heroics now. In a way there isn't that much content, yet there is sooo much replay value. I'm now proudly the 7th one to 'defeat the Demon Lord and saved Dimension SWRIRPS at 418km!' with my bard. A feat I can't repeat with another class at the moment but it should change ! ( thought not now, it's 2am and it's really time stop now... 'but just another run' is just too tempting, again and again )

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh god am I addicted to One Way Heroics now. In a way there isn't that much content, yet there is sooo much replay value. I'm now proudly the 7th one to 'defeat the Demon Lord and saved Dimension SWRIRPS at 418km!' with my bard. A feat I can't repeat with another class at the moment but it should change ! ( thought not now, it's 2am and it's really time stop now... 'but just another run' is just too tempting, again and again )

Could you write a bit more about why you like the game/what it does well?

I don't remember any of you posting impressions, so I got to ask:
Did you guys try the Aaru's Awakening demo? It's been out for about a month
You can download it here

I really enjoyed it. If I wasn't saving for Starbound, I'd probably pre-order

I really start to question the worth of events like BitSummit when at the end of the day you are still dealing with the current gaming media.

We(PLAYISM) supplied free interpreters for every media outlet during the event so they could go around talking to developers. And we still can't get a single bite on reviews or any sort of content for games like EF-12, One Way Heroics, and Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae. They just seem to ignore every email that is sent to them.

I think the only solution is to make sure we pull in more indie devs in from overseas as their help spreading word of mouth style would at least contribute in some way.

I can tell you one thing. They aren't getting jack-shit for free from us this next event. :mad:

Sorry for the rant but this seemed like the only place and I don't want to make a bitching thread...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If it makes you feel any better, I bought One Way Heroics the other night and will probably grab Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae in the bundle it's currently in so I can tell people about them! 99 Spirits also looks intriguing but I feel like the concept is one of the hardest to sell.

Sucks you're struggling with the more mainstream media though, you guys have done some pretty great work and i'm thankful for you bringing over some of the unique content from across the pond. We love you guys here in the indie thread <3

Thanks CheesecakeRecipe!

Yeah, it just especially hurts with One Way Heroics. I personally translated the first script which was 100,000 Characters in just about a month in order to have an alpha version ready for BitSummit. I seriously almost killed myself over the game. Never worked at such a furious pace and probably never will again!

We currently aren't worried about EF-12 and Mitsurugi at this point because their Greenlight projects are going really well. I have hope for One Way Heroics, but it would just be nice to get some coverage for at least one title.

Luckily we have a few other ideas. I might just start trying to call in favors as well ;p

rybrad

Thanks CheesecakeRecipe!

Yeah, it just especially hurts with One Way Heroics. I personally translated the first script which was 100,000 Characters in just about a month in order to have an alpha version ready for BitSummit. I seriously almost killed myself over the game. Never worked at such a furious pace and probably never will again!

We currently aren't worried about EF-12 and Mitsurugi at this point because their Greenlight projects are going really well. I have hope for One Way Heroics, but it would just be nice to get some coverage for at least one title.

Luckily we have a few other ideas. I might just start trying to call in favors as well ;p
Is One Way Heroics going to end up on Greenlight at some point? I picked it up last night but it would be nice if it could potentially make it to Steam one day for ease of library management.

elyetis

Could you write a bit more about why you like the game/what it does well?
Hmm why I like One Way Heroics. ( won't be nice I'm really bad at this kind of thing ! )

Well it's probably because it's kind of the strange mix between FTL ( you need to move forward, every game can be kind of different if you take a new Dimension, you can choose a different class ( + perk ) like you would choose a different ship ) and a a/jrpg.

It's hard, ( at least for me ), but really rewarding ( when you beat the boss of a dimension you know how many people did it before you, you get to see a message from each of them, what character they had with what level, gear, etc.. ).

In a way the content seems small ( there isn't tonnes of different kind of weapon, spells and all ), but procedural Dimensions ( map ), the different classes ( 7 of them ), being able to choose perk at the start, and special event ( for one day ( or week ? ) x world is cursed, no level up but better drop; or x world give more xp but with harder monster ( probably other events too, just saying what is up right now ) make me think you can actually spend hours and hours on it ( heck in one day I must have spend about 5 hours on it, and it only made me 'finish' one dimension with a single class ).

The way the online is handled is also very very good, it's still a single player game, but the game advertise a dimension each day, as to get many people to play the same dimension ( meaning even such a small community can easily compare their score on a same world ), it also do some small thing which give some kind of a Demon's souls online feeling ( you get to meet other player ghost who ask you to beat the boss in their stead, you see other player advance in the same dimension at the top left part of the screen ).

It's actually the first time I even think about maybe making a OT ( but like you can see with that post, I'm not very good when it come to make well organized post/thought ! ), hell I'm even thinking about doing some kind of giveaway because I think I could have spend more than those $1.99 ( but I couldn't be sure I would like the game before playing it, better safe than sorry ), and I want to do the best I can to get the community get bigger even if it's just by offering like 5 game to other people.

I really start to question the worth of events like BitSummit when at the end of the day you are still dealing with the current gaming media.

We(PLAYISM) supplied free interpreters for every media outlet during the event so they could go around talking to developers. And we still can't get a single bite on reviews or any sort of content for games like EF-12, One Way Heroics, and Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae. They just seem to ignore every email that is sent to them.

I think the only solution is to make sure we pull in more indie devs in from overseas as their help spreading word of mouth style would at least contribute in some way.

I can tell you one thing. They aren't getting jack-shit for free from us this next event. :mad:

i hope that your games get more media exposition, it's wonderful that finally some indie games from japan get translated. I'm really enjoing One Way Heroics and i can't wait for helen mysterious castle and artifact adventure :)

any hope that Princess Shade get picked for playism store ?

Prison Architect got updated with official mod support, staff rooms (staff will get tired now and need to rest), and better optimization

More Early Access games need to follow in PA's footsteps. The initial release was already quite playable and updates have been regular and substantial

I just got One Way Heroics, it seems right up my alley (roguelike-like with a twist and nice retro 2d art) and at 2 bucks it's definitely within impulse buy range. Will post my impressions when I get to play it, which might be today or five months down the line...

Hofmann

I haven't touched many games this time, so here's the voting list with the ones I managed to put my hands on last month.

• The Stanley Parable
  • Paradise
  • Paradis Perdus
  • Drei

Hope I'm not too late.

Is One Way Heroics going to end up on Greenlight at some point? I picked it up last night but it would be nice if it could potentially make it to Steam one day for ease of library management.

One Way Heroics is most definitely going to be up on Greenlight. Probably sooner than later. We are going to try to get as many of our devs released on Steam as possible.

elyetis said:
In a way the content seems small ( there isn't tonnes of different kind of weapon, spells and all ), but procedural Dimensions ( map ), the different classes ( 7 of them ), being able to choose perk at the start, and special event ( for one day ( or week ? ) x world is cursed, no level up but better drop; or x world give more xp but with harder monster ( probably other events too, just saying what is up right now ) make me think you can actually spend hours and hours on it ( heck in one day I must have spend about 5 hours on it, and it only made me 'finish' one dimension with a single class ).

You are going to love the secret boss in the game. ;)
The various party members and special weapons give a lot of variety in my opinion.
You even get randomly generated types of the party member NPCs which changes their dialogue.

Also, there is an 8th class you haven't seen yet. =)

Good luck finding it!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I wanted to throw my chips in for One Way Heroics.

I think what impresses me most about One Way Heroics compared to its closest contemporary Half Minute Hero is just how in depth every system is. While the interface trims a lot of the usual fat found in RPG UIs and menus, on the whole everything you would normally see from a full fledged RPG is represented here. Starting stats are important, properly equipping yourself will mean the difference between life and death, party positioning could cost you several minutes of progress or ensure your briefly enjoyed victory. You will know the weight of the world is on your shoulders, you will watch your party get disintegrated yet again by the mist, you will hit the ground running repeatedly with newfound knowledge of the map every single time until you’ve crafted the best possible run. Then you can dump your world and explore an entirely different place, listening to the cries of the NPCs as they fall victim to the impending darkness.

One Way Heroics is probably the greatest video game representation of Groundhogs Day I’ve ever played.

For $2 you really can't go wrong.

I wanted to throw my chips in for One Way Heroics.

I think what impresses me most about One Way Heroics compared to its closest contemporary Half Minute Hero is just how in depth every system is. While the interface trims a lot of the usual fat found in RPG UIs and menus, on the whole everything you would normally see from a full fledged RPG is represented here. Starting stats are important, properly equipping yourself will mean the difference between life and death, party positioning could cost you several minutes of progress or ensure your briefly enjoyed victory. You will know the weight of the world is on your shoulders, you will watch your party get disintegrated yet again by the mist, you will hit the ground running repeatedly with newfound knowledge of the map every single time until you’ve crafted the best possible run. Then you can dump your world and explore an entirely different place, listening to the cries of the NPCs as they fall victim to the impending darkness.

One Way Heroics is probably the greatest video game representation of Groundhogs Day I’ve ever played.

For $2 you really can't go wrong.
159869respek20knuckle90uof.jpg

Yes! It is always great seeing people figure out the charm and depth of the game.

I have been keeping an eye on the twitter log and not seeing anyone one who has figured out the secret boss and beat it yet.

I may have to record a vid myself now!

Spent some quality time with M&B Warband today. It officially qualifies as the game I've played the most but progressed the least. Almost 13 hours, maybe 1+ of that idling, but I've barely done anything or scratched the surface

Oh and I decided to get The Witcher 2 while it was on sale. It's...playable for me, lowest settings and lower resolution, some lag, but it was more of a long term purchase so I'd have it when I get a better computer. Surprisingly I find the KB/M controls much better than controller

Gazoinks

I have officially picked up a single game in this steam sale: Kairo. Liking it so far. It's got great atmosphere, and puzzles are pretty good. It's just now starting to reveal its story to me. I love weird explorationy games, so I like it.

I have officially picked up a single game in this steam sale: Kairo. Liking it so far. It's got great atmosphere, and puzzles are pretty good. It's just now starting to reveal its story to me. I love weird explorationy games, so I like it.
Really need to get Kairo. Heard nothing but good impressions and I enjoy abstract exploration games

Wok

• Cave! Cave! Deus Videt
  • Cubicity
  • Chrono Disfunglement
  • Temple of the Water God
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Whispers of the Goddess
By the way, I would have tried Secrets of Raetikon if I could, but even though I have paid $10 on indiegogo, I cannot find the alpha.
Edit: I could find the alpha build in the end. The game is okay.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

1.) 140
2.) Paradise
3.) Castle in the Sky
4.) Paradis Perdus
5.) Secrets of Raetikon
6.) The Stanley Parable

No descriptions unfortunately as things have been rather hectic towards the end of the month here. Haven't had the chance to play some of these but I feel like they're important enough to mention on concept and fellow impressions alone.

And thanks Panda for the vote for Lathe, it means a lot to see you enjoyed it enough to place it :)

elyetis

Also, there is an 8th class you haven't seen yet. =)
Found the 8th class yesterday yeah.

Still looking for that secret boss ( but my priority is still to be able to beat the main boss once with each class ). But that's not the only thing I am missing, I never found anyone to recruit except for the soldier charisma judge at the begining, or found the dark brotherhood.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sorry guys, thread not done yet. My PS4 sucked up my time. Working on it now, finished the entries from the november thread:

34 games / 36 future games

Adding some interesting Desura releases now. Still need a few hours.

Wok

I have 4 temporary votes, and I would like to try six other games. Maybe I could still have a bit of time. I am not totally satisfied with CAVE and Chrono.

By the way, Cubicity is sold for $3 on the Humble store and the game has good puzzle mechanics.

Toma

I have 4 temporary votes, and I would like to try six other games. Maybe I could still have a bit of time. I am not totally satisfied with CAVE and Chrono.

By the way, Cubicity is sold for $3 on the Humble store and the game has good puzzle mechanics.

I still need a few hours anyway. Just went through Desura and will add another 10 games or so. After that I still need to tally the votes etc.

Toma

Alright, 44 games for the new games section. Tallying votes next.

Toma

Bionic Dues (The current Arcen game, see OP) is 50% in the current sale in case someone else had his eyes on it. I grabbed it. Impressions in the next thread.

Toma

Edit: Nvm, wrong thread.

Top Bottom