• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Stop trying to convince me!
I'll buy it on Steam

On other news I decided to play Thomas Was Alone before I went to bed and I can say it's being an awesome experience, I can't belive how expressive rectangles can be only based in its abilities and the narration.

Its a... Panda!

Edit: Seriously though it seems rather intriguing, but I've got to play it more before I can recommend it or not. The Alundra comparison doesnt quite work so far after ~1 hour, but we'll see how that turns out.

allansm

I played Shelter this weekend and I was disappointed. The art is beautiful, thus the entire journey is a visual pleasure, but the game fails regarding gameplay. Shelter is extremely linear and the mechanics are simple, these two aspects combined killed any chance of immersion for me. I don't think Shelter should be an open world game, 3 or 4 alternate paths through a level, for example, would already greatly benefit the game and help with immersion. Similarly, the game should have a little more variety in the challenges you face, instead of the "one kind of challenge per level" structure the game uses.

Hows the basic combat feel in Two Brothers? The afterlife stuff all sounds good and novel but after Anodyne I'm a little wary of Zelda-like games that promise an interesting mechanic but mess up the basics.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hows the basic combat feel in Two Brothers? The afterlife stuff all sounds good and novel but after Anodyne I'm a little wary of Zelda-like games that promise an interesting mechanic but mess up the basics.

I'll get back to you guys about that in 1-2 days.

If anyone was interested in Typer:Rider, you get it for $5.25 from GMG ($6.99 + 25% voucher)
large-2-640x350.jpg
large-3-640x350.jpg

I played Shelter this weekend and I was disappointed. The art is beautiful, thus the entire journey is a visual pleasure, but the game fails regarding gameplay. Shelter is extremely linear and the mechanics are simple, these two aspects combined killed any chance of immersion for me. I don't think Shelter should be an open world game, 3 or 4 alternate paths through a level, for example, would already greatly benefit the game and help with immersion. Similarly, the game should have a little more variety in the challenges you face, instead of the "one kind of challenge per level" structure the game uses.

I, on the other hand, played through Shelter this weekend and it by far exceeded my expectations. (Granted, I knew very little about it other than "you play a mother badger" and "oooh, pretty graphics" so my expectations weren't exactly well-formed.) The linearity and simple mechanics are it's main strengths, imo. I abhor semi-linear and mechanically complex games.

You'd think I know by now but are browser games allowed here too?
This released a few days ago but I'm really enjoying it. Plays like a mix of SMB and Mark of the Ninja on speed.

Blade Rush - Free (Browser)
dora_bladerush_2.png
14494-b.png

http://jayisgames.com/games/blade-rush/

Blade Rush is a challenging platformer with "stealth" elements...
Where it starts to shine is once it takes the training wheels off, and you realize you can start triggering attacks in midair and quick succession, zipping around like a tiny murder-rocket, and using that velocity to carry you over otherwise insurmountable gaps and around obstacles. The trick is figuring out the best order to eliminate foes to do so.

Toma

You'd think I know by now but are browser games allowed here too?
This released a few days ago but I'm really enjoying it. Plays like a mix of SMB and Mark of the Ninja on speed.

Blade Rush - Free (Browser)

We had plenty of Browser games already ;)

Paper Sorcerer - $5 (PC, Mac, Linux)
DTLiZh.jpg
255186_orig.png

http://www.ultrarunaway.com/

Paper Sorcerer is a stylish single player turn based RPG focused on strategy, party-building, and environmental puzzles. Fight with the skills and spells you've learned in a battle system that emphasizes strategy over grinding. Assemble a party of monsters and dark creatures to fight alongside you. Explore and solve environmental puzzles to unlock secret paths and find extra loot! A double-sided adventure, an RPG with adventure game elements.

Anyone here playing Pixeljunk Shooter PC or did you all try it when it released on PS3?

It's my first time with the series and I'm really enjoying it. The fluid mechanics are obviously the highlight and just really fun to both watch and manipulate. Hope the second one is released on PC as well, because from what I've read and seen, it really expands and improves on the foundations of the first

flowsnake

Anyone here playing Pixeljunk Shooter PC or did you all try it when it released on PS3?

It's my first time with the series and I'm really enjoying it. The fluid mechanics are obviously the highlight and just really fun to both watch and manipulate. Hope the second one is released on PC as well, because from what I've read and seen, it really expands and improves on the foundations of the first

Yep, I'm enjoying it. I keep playing it "wrong" by trying to rush, which usually gets me killed. It's more methodical and puzzly than the name implies.

Never got into any of the other Pixeljunk games but I like this one.

allansm

I finished it yesterday, loved it. I played all the Pixeljunk games that came to PC, they are all great. Those guys are really talented, although based on established genres all their games (on PC at least) have unique aspects and are innovative.

I'm nearly finished with that now, on the final world I believe. Certainly enjoyable and I hope the sequel gets a steam release. The only critism I would throw against it is the levels can be a little long. That game would be improved by perhaps splitting the larger levels into two separate levels.

Look, another vehicle construction game

Game About Vehicles - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)

Another? Which others are like this? Unless you mean Scraps/Kerbal.

My dream game would be a Kerbal-style builder for racing vehicles... and as building mechanics go, this guy seems to be sharing my brain. Really, those screenshots are like 95% representative of dreams I've had. Crazy awesome. Thank you for posting this!

Another? Which others are like this? Unless you mean Scraps/Kerbal.

My dream game would be a Kerbal-style builder for racing vehicles... and as building mechanics go, this guy seems to be sharing my brain. Really, those screenshots are like 95% representative of dreams I've had. Crazy awesome. Thank you for posting this!
Yeah I meant Scraps, Kerbal, also Crashtastic

I tried the pre-alpha. IMO Scraps has the more user friendly building mechanic but this game offers more possibilities at the moment. It's more just build what you want, as opposed to those other games' more structured approaches. Still getting the hang of just building a simple car, but it's pretty cool and it's nice that you can get out and walk around.

Kind of wish your driver was impacted by physics like in Crashtastic, but maybe that'll be added down the road

daydream

Banned
Alright, OP impressions. Free games/demos only:

Drei: While I like the "toy" aesthetic and sound design, the gameplay didn't grab me. I'm kind of tired of ''balance games''.

Axyz: Apologies for being so reductionist, but this is basically Portal with a half-baked puzzle mechanic and terrible jumping controls. On top of that, it's rather buggy.

Beyond Perception: Amazing proof of concept. Mémorial is one of the most haunting levels I played in any game - really powerful, not only due to its historic meaning. I think this needs to be shared with the rest of Gaf.

Cave! Cave! Deus Videt: It's a visual novel and a very unique one. It deals with Bosch's Triptych of the Temptation of St. Anthony and .. that's all I can say about it. I'd love to talk about this game, so give it a shot. It could very well be out of Simogo's portfolio.

Chrono Disfunglement: Stylistcally impressive for a student game, otherwise a bit uninspired. You push blocks and manipulate time. Give it a shot if you're into that.

Demon Drum: I agree with Panda, the premise is interesting, but man is it ROUGH to look at. I would also add that they could do way more creative things with the laid out foundation.

Heavy Bullets: I had a feeling I would like this. The movement feels great, aesthetically it's very pleasing, and it's addictive on top of that. I think I'll never forget to load my gun in any game ever again.

Flicker: Welp, this created a virus on my laptop every time I started it up. I assume it's a false positive? Good times.

Monochroma: Limbo-esque in almost every aspect. I had a good time with the demo, even though the controls are very laggy (might be my laptop?). Seems neat, though I'd expect them to spruce up the character models a bit, they look unfinished.

Null Divide+: An innocent little 2D top down shooter going for (and nailing) an NES vibe. I have a blast playing it, GAFfers make the best games. I'll go back to it as soon as possible.

Oniro: You control a girl on her deathbed who's reliving (or "redreaming") the past. That means you revisit locations like your room in your child years, the circus, etc. It's a puzzle platformer that lets you resize objects by getting them near to other objects of a different size/shape. While I like certain (visual) aspects of it, it ultimately feels a bit too cliché and overall forgettable.

Whispers of the Goddess: Great little puzzle game and probably the best Digipen joint out of the bunch. The puzzle mechanics feel fresh, the level design is quite clever and it's rounded out by a lovely and somewhat understated chiptune soundtrack. I'm hoping it doesn't get overlooked.

Paradis Perdus: This game is like a nightmare simulator. Forget all the silly "something spooky is hunting you down" horror games, this is where it's at. Brilliant stuff.

Not from the OP, but I also tried..

Lumen: I'd much rather play Path of Shadows again than this. This team is obviously talented, but I wish they had done without the stealth mechanics (and that awful narration).

-------

tl;dr: You should try Cave! Cave!, Heavy Bullets, Whispers of the Goddess, Paradis Perdus, Beyond Perception and Null Divide+. Again, it's all free to download.

^^^
Talking about Path of Shadows, I was browsing the dev's twitter page and they're switching to Unity. That sound do a lot to fix those optimization/lag issues. Looks like it's coming along nicely too

And yes Beyond Perception is so good. It and SuperHOT were my 7DFPS favorites, with Probably Archery at #2

klinkcow

Neo Member
So I'm out of commission for like 3 weeks and now my backlog of indie games is 10x deep.

This is crazy - I feel stressed out.

Any ideas where to start, I left off with The Stanley Parable.

klinkcow

Neo Member
ALSO,

Maybe I missed this Toma, but are we going to have one giant end of the year thread, where we decide the NeoGaf top ten indies of the year?

:)

Toma

ALSO,

Maybe I missed this Toma, but are we going to have one giant end of the year thread, where we decide the NeoGaf top ten indies of the year?

:)

Yup, will prepare that in december and the thread should be up mid december with voting until mid january.

Same. Very browsing the dev's site. Stuff like this makes pre-ordering/getting the beta very tempting:

Yeah, underwater cityscapes and mechs

Same

You guys didnt play Terraria?

This game was on everyones radar who played Terraria :p

I own Terraria and played it but the menus kinda put me off it was kinda of confusing and sometimes frustrating to navigate through it. If this game "fix" that particular problem I'm going to enjoy it a lot.

Voting

• Paradise - It's a interactive experience about creating things, expanding worlds and exploring what others have made. It's not for everyone but having played without any expectation was an incredible.
  • Beyond Perception - First Person Puzzle where you're in an art gallery and can explore inside the paints and solve mainly based perspective puzzles. Paying attention to the pictures before going inside them is useful because they have some tips in how to solve the puzzles.
  • Candy Box 2 - Felt shorter than his predecessor but it's more well designed, has some expanded concepts from the previous game and a cooler ASCII art.
  • Collapse - Another short game by Terry Cavanagh and another one that successfully that made me feel dumb while playing. Like Maya's Quest the puzzles requires some trial and error but being able to solve them is very rewarding.
  • Fakteur - Charming artstyle, interesting NPC's with good backstories and the ability to change the fate of their lives. Game of The Month and likely to be in my list of best of the year.
  • Lathe de la Lune Somniis - Horror text adventure made by our fellow gaffer CheesecakeRecipe, the story was able caught me and during the various gameplay I had the feelings of "I don't know what expect" and "I'm going to die" were present during all the time. Very immersive.
  • The Stanley Parable - I still haven't bought the full game but just playing the demo was mind blowing.
  • Demon Drum - Cool art and mechanics, the scenery is a bit bland but the spirits
    with different abilities used to solve the puzzles is interesting as is the setting of the game.
  • Cornerstone - Colorful open world game inspired by Wind Waker, still needs some improvements regarding the controls but since it's an early alpha version I can disregard that little personal nitpick. Looking forward for the complete version.
  • Probably Archery - (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edit: Forgot Probably Archery

I found Terraria extremely grating to play so Starbound kinda fell off of my hype-train load. It sounds pretty great on paper but I'm not sure I want to dive in just yet.
Digging through the site:

So many guns:

And what I love, deeper combat:
shield-4.gif

I recently got Terraria on IOS and while it's fun and has a lot of depth, I felt the combat was boring and just attack-attack-attack. So seeing shield, and blocking, and dual wielding, make me very excited

starbound will be the best game of this generation, i know it :)

anyway, finally one way heroics will be available on playism store this friday!

We’ve been testing and editing One Way Heroics’ incredible database of items, spells, dialogue and monsters, making sure that every last detail is perfect. That can prove to be incredibly difficult, as much of the content is randomized and variable, and altogether the game text comes close to 60,000 words. You might only access 5% of the game’s content on your first playthrough.

After all is said and done, we’re absolutely ecstatic to finally release One Way Heroics for all our fans to enjoy.

One Way Heroics will release this Friday on Playism EN for $1.99, with a Pay What You Want option

How did I not know this game was so ambitious? I love the organic design philosophy with such high attention to detail. The randomized elements look promising and consistent, from the creation of solar systems down to the specific flora/fauna for each world, even weather/temperature/day-night cycles based on the planets' orbits and distance from their suns... not to mention the Borderlands-esque weapons. If they can pull this off... whoa. Staggering.

starbound will be the best game of this generation, i know it :)

anyway, finally one way heroics will be available on playism store this friday!

We’ve been testing and editing One Way Heroics’ incredible database of items, spells, dialogue and monsters, making sure that every last detail is perfect. That can prove to be incredibly difficult, as much of the content is randomized and variable, and altogether the game text comes close to 60,000 words. You might only access 5% of the game’s content on your first playthrough.

After all is said and done, we’re absolutely ecstatic to finally release One Way Heroics for all our fans to enjoy.

One Way Heroics will release this Friday on Playism EN for $1.99, with a Pay What You Want option

Playism does an amazing job in bringing doujin games to the west.

Remember Tribly: The Art of Theft or watch Zero Punctuation? Well, Yahtzee just released his new game

The Consuming Shadow - Free (PC)
screen6.png
screen8.png

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/conshadow/

The Consuming Shadow is a procedurally-generated horror adventure game with a Lovecraftian theme and gameplay inspired by such things as FTL: Faster Than Light, Eternal Darkness, and the board game Arkham Horror.

You must travel from town to town, exploring dungeons and exterminating the minions of the shadow, in order to gather the four components of the Banishment Ritual, a four-rune mantra which, when cast at Stonehenge, will stop the evil god from entering our realm.

But it's not as simple as that. As well as the ritual, you must also determine which god, out of three possible candidates, is the invader, as banishing the wrong one will result in failure. And even getting as far as the ritual will mean surviving countless trials with your body and mind intact.

Gazoinks

Remember Tribly: The Art of Theft or watch Zero Punctuation? Well, Yahtzee just released his new game

The Consuming Shadow - Free (PC)

Didn't know Yahtzee was working on something new, I never did play Poacher. This looks pretty cool, I'll check it out later.

Top Bottom