• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games:why do gamers disregard them when it comes to a system's library?

Triteon

It's admittedly not easy to define, but you could say the same about AAA. There is a good blog post on this from Wolfire:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/08/what-are-indie-games/

Budget definitely has nothing to do with it. The Witness is indie, but not cheap. Heck, Star Citizen is indie.

That is so broad as to be meaningless. You cant even use it like indie music as there is no overarching aesthetic similarity.

May as well just be a marketing term.

Arulan

I suspect an obsession with production values is one of the reasons. It's unfortunate because while there are exceptions, the very nature of an AAA game: large budgets necessitating catering to the largest possible audience and safe design choices; leads to some very shallow games. The smaller budget and indie space is where you find most of the design innovation, and more focused design direction. For instance, you'll never see a AAA RPG like The Age of Decadence.

Jetman

I don't think indie games are the problem for Switch. I think maybe it's that in a lot of cases it's getting indie games that have existed elsewhere on other platforms for awhile now, so it's hard to get excited about them. When devs include the Switch in the main console train for newer games they make, it'll get better.

border

I will disregard stuff like low-effort pixel-art nonsense that trades on a nostalgic look. (Which is like half the PSN Plus games). Anything that looks like an up-ported mobile game will be disregarded as well.

Stuff like Journey or The Witness or What Remains of Edith Finch are cool with me. Even pixel-art that with some artistry to it is fine (Braid, Hyperlight Drifter).

The funny thing about this topic is some of the same people who are calling others stupid or fools for writing off indies usually are the same people who write off Mobile games. It's the same phenomenon.

Personally I don't like the majority of indies.
I HATE pixel graphics
I HATE side scrollers
I HATE walking sims
I HATE puzzle games
I HATE twin stick shooters
I HATE any thing that could be described as "Retro"
I HATE short games
I HATED the snes and genesis except a few games on each so if it's inspired by those it's not for me.

I'm waiting for console indies on the PS4 to take inspiration from the 64/ps1 era. 3D fighters. Wrestlers. Boxing. Wave race. Smash. Star fox. Etc once those are the majority I'll no longer say " I don't like indies."

And no idc about an awesome indie on pc. I don't game on my laptop so it doesn't concern me. I wonder why if someone says
I don't like country music
I don't like smoking cigs
I don't like scary movies
I don't like fords
I don't like vegetables
I don't like children

Very few people ask " well have you tried all of them?!" They just accept it and move on. Do the same when others say they dislike indies plz.

Edit: So to reply to the original question maybe people write off indies as a plus to a console because they don't see indies as a plus or adding anything of value to a console. Shocking I know.

Never go into a PS Plus thread, it'll break your heart to see a bunch of dismissive posts in the same vein.

I find it incredibly dumb but eh, I love games, not the budgets. So it seems bizarre to me too.

It's not about them being indie games.

It's about that the PS4's PS+ value proposition is a fraction of what the PS3's was back in the day. Has there been a single PS+ on title on PS4 that's been over $30 MSRP at the time of being put on PS+?

I'm waiting for console indies on the PS4 to take inspiration from the 64/ps1 era. 3D fighters. Wrestlers. Boxing. Wave race. Smash. Star fox. Etc once those are the majority I'll no longer say " I don't like indies."

No love for the PS1's excellent 2D games? Well, for what little that Stolar and his lackeys allowed to be localized without being blackmailed by powerful 3rd Parties that Sony needed more than they needed Sony, that is.

Wozman23

There are a plethora of reasons:
  • The stigma of retro graphics
  • The misconception of price vs quality
  • Steam sales hurting their perceived value
  • Their often smaller scale and scope
  • The fact that they are more risky and innovative with their scope, mechanics, genre, art direction... making them a bit more nebulous
Most AAA releases are very safe, derivative experiences that favor a handful of long-existing genres. Every so often you get a Horizon Zero Dawn, but most of the time you're getting a yearly Call of Duty or one of the many other similar Third or First Person Shooters.

The average, dull human mind likes things that are comfortable. AAA extends a friendly hand and says "Don't I look like that other game you like?" The average person wants to feel like they are getting something for their money as well. So a 60 hour grind seems like a much better deal than a tight, 2 hour ride.

Indie games try to evoke comfort as well by favoring genres that have fallen out of favor, like platformers, which is important. But many of them try to do the exact opposite, creating unique experiences that are unlike anything ever seen in AAA. There's no AAA Thumper or 140. No Snake Pass. No Hohokum, TumbleSeed, or GNOG. No Inside or Little Nightmares. No What Remains of Edith Finch....

That feeling of playing something entirely new, that is unlike anything I've ever played is what drives me to indie games. The vast majority of the games I play these days are indie. This year, I've bought 1 AAA game, Horizon, and around a dozen indie games. Horizon was phenomenal, but it's still second to Snake Pass on my GOTY list.

The funny thing about this topic is some of the same people who are calling others stupid or fools for writing off indies usually are the same people who write off Mobile games. It's the same phenomenon.

Personally I don't like the majority of indies.
I HATE pixel graphics
I HATE side scrollers
I HATE walking sims
I HATE puzzle games
I HATE twin stick shooters
I HATE any thing that could be described as "Retro"
I HATE short games
I HATED the snes and genesis except a few games on each so if it's inspired by those it's not for me.

And no idc about an awesome indie on pc. I don't game on my laptop so it doesn't concern me. I wonder why if someone says
I don't like country music
I don't like smoking cigs
I don't like scary movies
I don't like fords
I don't like vegetables
I don't like children

Very few people ask " well have you tried all of them?!" They just accept it and move on. Do the same when others say they dislike indies plz.

Here's the thing: You don't dislike indies. You dislike the current slate of genres that most indies apparently work within. A whole heap of them, by the looks of it. That's fine. My problem is when people dismiss these games as somehow being less than games in the AAA space. Like what you like, but in no way are indies beneath mainstream fare. I'd argue the opposite in many cases.

Edit: Great post, Wozman.

Xe4

Banned
I'm fine considering indie games as being part of a platform's catalog or not. I don't think one should count them on one system but not another, however.

For example, I don't think it's ok to count indie games on the Switch or Vita because they're playable on the go. That doesn't change the scope or quality of the games, so if I count then I'll count indie games on the PS4, XB1, and PC as well.

LegendX48

wait, do some people really look at indie games as not real games? I mean, I can get a lot of them being real samey and kinda blending together but not counting as real games?

it's likely the graphics/visuals which is pretty much why I thought a game like Shovel Knight was the most generic looking thing I'd ever seen

oneils

I don't think of indie games as a lesser form of game. I've played a few but I find that I've never really clicked with one. Is warband an indie game? If so, I loved it. Played it a ton.

In general, though, I find indie games come from genres I don't really enjoy.

Here's the thing: You don't dislike indies. You dislike the current slate of genres that most indies apparently work within. A whole heap of them, by the looks of it. That's fine. My problem is when people dismiss these games as somehow being less than games in the AAA space. Like what you like, but in no way are indies beneath mainstream fare. I'd argue the opposite in many cases.
Which means I don't like indies in general. Not tryna say all that everytime the topic comes up. A simple " I don't like indies" is sufficient. Ill save us all time and I generalize because that's how most people talk and think. Also how can you have a problem with people thinking Indies are lesser when you your self would argue the opposite. It's the same thing. Don't have a problem with it unless you also have a problem with yourself when you do it.

WaterAstro

A lot of indie games do lack quality, but they will have hidden gems. It's up to the community to advertise it via worth of mouth so they won't be disregarded.

It's a reduction mechanism people use to keep themselves from needing to do critical thinking and case-by-case observation.

If you "don't like indie games," might as well say "I don't like games." Some of you wouldn't know the difference between an indie game and a non-indie game if someone slapped a known publisher's logo on the box. It's frankly really idiotic.

It's a reduction mechanism people use to keep themselves from needing to do critical thinking and case-by-case observation.

If you "don't like indie games," might as well say "I don't like games." Some of you wouldn't know the difference between an indie game and a non-indie game if someone slapped a known publisher's logo on the box.
Nah fam
Idc about publishers.
The majority of indies are in terrible boring genres. Fucking blizzard or naughty dog can put out some side scrolling/pixel art/twin stick shooting bs and I wouldn't like it either.

Wow I'm shocked that someone who can't think about the topic at hand for more than five seconds would respond with something with literally no value

The fact of the matter is, you're whole "I can generalize 'indie games' on the ones I dislike" song and dance doesn't hold up because, you know, indie games are just games. There is literally no distinction other than how they are published, which is something you cannot dispute. Though it seems you know that, which is why you gave your two word response.

Edit: The addendum is still wrong, because the "majority of indies" are not what you've described. Works if you ignore reality and engage in reduction though.

They can be hard to keep track of. With major retail releases they're easily tracked with retailers and lists.

Lots of lists leave off indie games or arent very comprehensive in that regard.

Wulfram

Indie games are pretty much defined as smaller games with less widespread appeal. If an Indie is expected to sell as much as a AAA game, then the odds are it'll get a publisher and financial backing and be a whole lot less indie.

Xilium

Bluntly put, indie is just an endearing name for shovel-ware. Most of them are just plain bad. Obviously, there are exceptions and the better ones are typically the ones that get recognition by the gaming media and gaming forums.

That said, even the good ones largely don't appeal to me for a multitude of reasons:
- I'm very specifically not a fan of retro/low-res graphics or overly artistic/abstract visuals.
- I don't care for the throwback genres (2D Metroidvania, point-and-click adventure, puzzle platformers, walking sim, ect.) that most of these games exist in.
- Even for RPGs (my favorite genre), they're largely of the CRPG/Infinity-Engine variety, which are not my favorite types of RPGs mechanically.
- They're usually very short. I like long games.
- Don't care for games being different (mechanically) for the sake of it.

There are a small handful of indie games I have liked over the years but I wouldn't put almost any of them over the traditional games that get released any given year. Tyranny is like the one exception for me and that's made by Obsidian so it barely counts. I'm simply not jaded by AAA, or even B tier, games. So indies are just, by and large, lesser games to me.

I don't consider them as part of the library because they're also on steam, and often heavily discounted. Plus these consoles come and go in a matter of years sometimes, steam, though it may die someday, has proven itself the superior platform. I've used the same account on multiple computers and laptops, simultaneously.

Now, if these indie games have physical releases on those consoles, that's an entirely different matter. No game has less value than a console digital download that is also on PC, in my eyes.

LordRaptor

Bluntly put, indie is just an enduring name for shovel-ware.

s0yfdWv.gif

Wow I'm shocked that someone who can't think about the topic at hand for more than five seconds would respond with something with literally no value

The fact of the matter is, you're whole "I can generalize 'indie games' on the ones I dislike" song and dance doesn't hold up because, you know, indie games are just games. There is literally no distinction other than how they are published, which is something you cannot dispute. Though it seems you know that, which is why you gave your two word response.
You sound like you didn't read my previous post in the thread. It absolutely took more than 5 secs....
You keep mentioning publishers.. that's your hang up/persecution complex/superiority complex/ whatever not mine. Idc who makes or publishes anything. I dislike the GENRES of MOST indies. Its not rocket surgery.

Valahart

Some of my most loved games of the past couple if year have been Enter the Gungeon, Steamworld Dig, Nuclear Throne and Spelunky.
So yeah, you can say indie games are a big deal to me.

Sure there's a bunch of crap being made as well and I'm quite certain that most people see those and think they all are shit.
But then again, just look at the AAA market. Look past the pretty graphics and you'll see truckload of pure garbage as well with a few diamonds in between.

I wanna be friends with you.

Answering OP, it's not that they are indie games but that they can usually be played on so many other platforms people can't usually justify buying a console for playing them. Plus they tend to be a lot cheaper on PC, so there's that.

El-Suave

Most indies come to every console eventually, that's why they're discounted easily. It makes sense for indies to avoid exclusivity and staggered releases if possible because you don't have the marketing muscle to sell your game on the second or third platform and make a sufficient splash there. You need to be on all platforms at once while people are hopefully still talking about you.

ZServ

It's more than hidden gems. And lots of bigger games lack quality too.

There's key differences between the indie scene and triple A scene.

A; Marketing. Indie games typically rely heavily on word of mouth vs a multi-million dollar marketing machine.

B; Roles that they fit. Indie games tend to not be "ambitious" in scope. Not saying that I agree with this, but to the average Joe, "another platformer" like Ori would be less "ambitious" than a lot of triple A titles. Again, not saying this is objectively true, nor am I saying that I agree with the thought.

Additionally, indie games tend to wear one hat, but wear it really well, where as other games will try to wear several hats at once.

C; There are a lot of bad indie games, there are a lot of bad triple A games. However, a lot of indie games can be seen with an attitude that would more or less come off as "this game isn't really fun." This issue is seen less with triple A games-- the biggest problem a lot of triple A games seem to have is their "design by committee" philosophy, where several people are trying to define what the vision of the game is. This ultimately leads to an experience where the high moments of it are far less high than any other game that focuses on those moments, but the low moments tend to be a bit higher than other games as well. Hence, them feeling "same-y." This boils down to "pacing is weird," though.

An example of the above would be that Ghost Recon Wildlands is not a game that particularly impresses me. I don't think the game is really a *good* game, nor do I feel it's worth anywhere near $60. But, if I had to choose between it and something like Papers, Please, I'd take GR any day.

D; There are indie games that blow up and become worthy of being "part of a systems catalog," it just isn't very frequent. Minecraft, Stardew Valley, the weird bird VN romance game, Rocket League, the list exists. It may not be long, but it does exist.

Anywho, long story short, there's a lot that goes into it, it can't be boiled down to any one thing, but effectively it's the fact that if you're an average consumer with little-to-no real exposure to video games, triple-A games are going to be (likely) a better value for you than an indie game. It's like comparing pop music to anything remotely obscure.

Kthulhu

I'm still trying to figure out what people mean when they say

"I don't like indie games" or "I don't like Japanese games"

Makes as much sense to me as saying "I don't like rap" or "I don't like country music". You end up ignoring a massive number of titles that may be doing something you never thought you'd enjoy.

Edit: jeez, so of the posts in this thread. Makes me glad I'm not an indie dev.

Makes as much sense to me as saying "I don't like rap" or "I don't like country music". You end up ignoring a massive number of titles that may be doing something you never thought you'd enjoy.

Edit: jeez, so of the posts in this thread. Makes me glad I'm not an indie dev.
In your opinion is the country music genre as varied as the rap genre or indie games?

Azriell

I would say part of it is because indies don't get the same spotlight as AAA releases. Many people have never even heard of these things, and then you go onto the digital store of your console of choice and find all these things you've never heard of. Many of the random games you find on PSN (for example) are shit, so if you don't k ow much about indies and you've played some random shovelware game, you might think it's all shit.

But if you look at No Man's Sky or The Witness, I think you can get an idea of how broad of an audience indies are capable of drawing when they are given proper promotion.

I would also say that many AAA games are largely about the spectacle. People who play mostly AAA come to expect all this glitz and glamour, and when some simple indie comes along, it just isn't good enough for them.

Never seen an indie game that would have had me buying a whole console for it so I don't think of them. Also, it seems for the most part a lot of them are multi-plat, or are at least on the PC.

Kthulhu

In your opinion is the country music genre as varied as the rap genre or indie games?

I'm not a big country person, but my point was that people will ignore an entire spectrum of something that's different and will refuse to broaden their horizons.

I understand where it comes from, being the desire to find something you enjoy based on what you know you like, but if you're​ a person that sees games as art and wants to see what all the medium can offer, I think it's very reductive and you end up limiting yourself.

Tigress

Sports games are a genre, indie games aren't. Also, they're often more complex instead of simplistic because they don't have to please your average Joe. What has more depth, Divinity Original Sin or Mass Effect Andromeda?

I think I covered your bitch about them not being a genre (I specifically called out that argument). Doesn't matter, in general I have seen very few indies that really catch my eye and make me want to be interested in them. And most I see tend to be platformers, 2d, side scrollers, games trying to play off nostalgia by having pixel art on purpose (I am really not interested in that. I only was ok with those graphics when that was all the computers can do. Sure, call me closed minded on that one but it takes a really good game to get me over the artwork. And I think that's fair as a game is something you are looking at all the time so it's fair to want to like the artwork), short, linear (I can enjoy some linear games but they aren't the type of games I get interested in and almost all to all I get bored of before I even finish despite people keeping claiming that the problem with open world games is you get bored of them. Well, I get bored of linear games before they're done and they aren't even long. At least when I get bored of a good open world I've played 100+ hours of it, usually more).

It's not like I see indie an immediately decide I don't like it. But most indies I see just don't interest me. And I'm really sick of people trying to guilt trip me because I don't care for most indies (Oh, you're just closed minded. You just care about the budget and stupid stuff like that. It couldn't possibly be because most indies don't fit into games you're interested in). I mean I do like No Man's Sky (it was what I expect), I thought State of Decay was excellent (does that count as indie, not sure?), I liked journey (it was a fun little game but not something I would have paid much for or considered something I'd buy a console over). But the indie that interests me is rare... and the indie that gets me excited enough I'd consider the console I buy cause of it is even rarer (I wouldn't be upset about not being able to play Journey if for some reason PS4 couldn't get it and I already have pretty much said while I love State of Decay it's not enough to get me to get an xbox one. Though maybe if xbox one had some other games that interested me it might be a consideration with them. I'm much more excited for Switch just for Zelda if nothing else <- and still not buying Switch just for one game but Zelda is way more likely to convince me to buy a console than an indie game. If Switch gets pokemon and monster hunter I'll be more tempted. ANd if it gets decent third party support I'll be even more tempted. I don't really care about the indie support. If an indie game comes on it that is interesting that's just a nice bonus. But what kind of indie support a platform gets is more of a nice extra than something I consider when buying the platform. Sorry, they are not my priority and I really am sick of this elitist attitude towards people who don't prioritize them).

(and btw, I do think indies have their place. I do think they are important if for nothing else introducing new ideas. And it's great other people like htem. But please stop guilt tripping me cause they're not my thing and I don't consider them when buying a gaming platform).

_Nemo

I haven't played many indies, but to me it feels like indies are just too short. I'll use Journey as an example - great visual game, but way too short and didn't really have much to do. Indies feel like these small morsels of food, they're not long and satisfying enough, and don't feel like they have the same scale of adventure as AAA.

I'm not a big country person, but my point was that people will ignore an entire spectrum of something that's different and will refuse to broaden their horizons.

I understand where it comes from, being the desire to find something you enjoy based on what you know you like, but if your a person that sees games as art and wants to see what all the medium can offer, I think it's very reductive and you end up limiting yourself.
I get all that. Was just pointing out that it isn't exactly a broad spectrum when it comes to country music. Like the other things you mentioned. That's all lol I'm just anti country music.

Also I don't think it's reductive at all. If a person can read a description or watch gameplay of dozens of games an go no those aren't for me. I'll come back when they start to produce things that are more up my alley. Why is that wrong? It's an informed decision. Not " oh it's not a big publisher so those casuals don't acknowledge it" like SOME indie fans seem to think.
I think games are art but that doesn't mean I have to keep trying to force myself on these games.
I think painting is art too doesn't mean I have to enjoy pieces from the Baroque period just because it's art.

Platy

Indie games just aren't the kind of experiences that the vast majority of enthusiast and core gamers tethered to an Xbox or PlayStation value or are looking for; they're mostly seen as fun, superfluous (sometimes clever) little distractions to tide you over until the next GTA or Witcher-esque game is released.

They should be seen as fun, clever throwback to retro gaming except new and evolved.

Because I usually already own an indie game I'm interested in on PC, or if I don't own it, the price is already low enough that it doesn't much sense to grab the console version.

I've had more fun playing Shovel Knight than 90% of AAA games from the past year or so.

People will buy expensive hardware specifically to play titles like TLOU, BoTW, and Halo. If someone suggested I spend 400 bucks to play Shovel Knight I would laugh in their face. I say this as someone who owns Shovel Knight.

So many Indies are digital-only, which means that I probably won't consider them. I got Shovel Knight, Minecraft and Hotline Miami when they got physical releases, but apart from that, I tend to stick to the big franchises.

1upsuper

It's funny how most of the posts in here that describe what they don't like about indie games only apply to a small amount of indie games. I can confidently say that there's seriously an indie game for everybody, no matter their personal tastes. There's a lot of everything in the indie scene. There are long-ass games, low-poly games, graphically-intensive games, action games, puzzle games, polished games, rough games, carefully-crafted games, procedurally-generated games, etc. etc. etc. I play more indie games than "traditional" games these days.

The fantastic thing about indie games, which is what's so sad when people don't see it, is that indie games have the luxury of appealing to very specific tastes. They aren't by and large focus-tested, safe experiences. You can find something that more intimately aligns with your tastes than the AAA flavor of the month.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I expected indies to be a much bigger factor this generation than they turned out to be. At the start of the gen, they seemed to be a major factor in the discussion. Over time, it has faded.

My own perception has paralleled that. In the beginning, there were a bunch of indies I was interested in. Now only a few stand out to me as worth playing. I expected indies to be this cauldron of creativity, but instead I see a lot of sameness and repetition. I often have the reaction, "Oh, another one of those."

I don't think they've delivered the way some people (including me) expected. It's hard to find the buried jewels. There's a lot of "stuff" I have to wade through to find them. Having no PR budget doesn't help, of course.

Tain

In general I find that I don't enjoy a lot of critically acclaimed games that are considered indie but the main reason is that they're pretty much never exclusive.

GamerJM

Banned
In a Switch thread it might be because they're almost never exclusives. Indies add very little value for a console for me when I can probably just get them on PC cheaper. Even portable consoles/platforms because I have a gaming laptop.

In general it is a stupid double standard, that being said there are a few things that make me less interested in indie games in general, or make them less special sometimes:

-Lack of physical copies. Collecting games is a big part of the hobby for me so this is a big deal to me. Because of this I tend to wait until indie games go down in price because of how much I value physical games, which has been a little difficult to do recently since Steam sales haven't been quite as great as they used to.

-A lot of the time the really, really good ones are short. Being short isn't necessarily a bad thing, but short games tend to stick out in my mind less than games I've poured dozens or even hundreds of hours into unless they're like Nintendo-tier game design.

-I'm not really too into a lot of the indie game "trends". Metroidvanias and roguelikes aren't really my jam. I don't inherently dislike "walking simulators," but I've felt like a lot of them didn't really make good use of the format. I know there's a lot in the indie scene beyond these trends but I can pretty much disregard a good chunk of the critically acclaimed games just because I know they won't be my thing. Also, I like the retro throwback trend but I often wish indie games were more faithful to actual retro games and had things like life/continue systems, grinding, etc.

That being said, I love a lot of indie games, and I'm glad for all of the creativity that's coming out of the scene.

I'll also say that the indie scene isn't as big of a deal for me as it is for some people because I actually don't really get tired of playing "the same game," over and over again. Like, Nintendo could just release Pokemon games following the exact same formula for the next 100 years and I'll probably still put them near the top of my GotY list every year. I know a big part of the appeal of indie games is the originality and passion that goes into making those games (in contrast with a lot of the rest of the gaming space which is largely derivative in some way), and that's just not why I play games.

Because they are available/can run on anything

If you buy a system you want the games that are made for the system. You can already play any indie on your non-gaming PC if you really want to

yyr

You don't see indies on most "console wars" or other library lists because so few of them are exclusive. Most release on multiple platforms or all of them.

It doesn't mean that owners aren't playing them; they're more popular than ever.

Edit: I think I basically said the same thing as several other people on this page lol

I have nothing against indie games, and often enjoy them. But if you want the answer to this question, just look at any given top XX list of games. How often do you find indie games near the top?

For whatever reason, they just don't seem to resonate on the same level. I'm sure there's a lot that could be unpacked from the way people respond differently to say a game with a similar budget published by a big company versus one that is more obviously "indie".

I don't think there's some simple dismissive answer like "fanboys" or "elitism".

Top Bottom