• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InFAMOUS [Mafia] [OT] No Good Karma...

*Splinter

I prefer Dusk v Absolut to Dusk v Flame. I'm not sure what to think of Flame yet but the 3 votes on him kind of feel like they came out of nowhere considering how little discussion there's been about him.

I prefer Dusk v Absolut to Dusk v Flame. I'm not sure what to think of Flame yet but the 3 votes on him kind of feel like they came out of nowhere considering how little discussion there's been about him.

If I had to choose between the former group. I think I'd go for AB only because I think that Dusk is just really unhelpful town. While AB is a lot more muddled to me. Optimally though, I'd still go with CCS since I haven't really seen anything else that has jumped out at me and my prod against Kalor has had no effect.

Agree about Flame though.

SkyOdin

Can you go over why you think AbsolutBro is scum real quick? I know that that some people were suspicious of how he defended CCS, but I would like to hear your present reasons for suspecting him.

cabot

I apologize guys. I'm guess I'm having issues with it loading on mobile.

Deepest Sorrys.

Hey doc, you need to clear the cache for RF's tool, which is harder to do on iOS at least. A tip you should know as a mod.

I would vote Dusk or Flame today. If Flame is going on a trip and has no means to defend himself, I do agree that is not optimal for anyone.

We have a few hours left to decide.

Why would you consider Dusk? you've not really said anything on him.

If I had to choose between the former group. I think I'd go for AB only because I think that Dusk is just really unhelpful town. While AB is a lot more muddled to me. Optimally though, I'd still go with CCS since I haven't really seen anything else that has jumped out at me and my prod against Kalor has had no effect.

Agree about Flame though.

What makes you discern Dusk as Unhelpful town vs crazy stirring scum?

Can you give me your CCS reasons again?

Timeaisis

Mentioned it earlier, but these two posts really rub me the wrong way.

---

This is the read list where he switches gears to Ri'Orius and CCS. Before this point in the game, his main suspects were AbsolutBro, and TheGoddamn.

Notice how he never calls what they're doing "bad play." But two times he uses the term "suspicious."

He follows that up with a vote on Ri'Orius, which I take to mean these reads were supposed to taken seriously.

---

This is the post of CCS that he included in his read. All CCS is saying here is that he doesn't think it's a good idea to try to deduce the PRs in play based on meta-knowledge of InFamous. This is Cabot's original point mind you, but for some reason it looks suspicious when CCS says it.

---

Here is the post of Ri'Orius that his read list included. Quite frankly Cabot never puts an argument forth about why this post in particular is scummy. Just describes it as hard to read.

---

voting for Ri'Orius is doubly suspicious because it's a sheep of my own vote on Ri'Orius. To me it comes across like he wanted someone to have 2 votes to their name and felt voting for Ri'Orius would cause the least amount of friction.

I have a suggestion for this voting phase that will promptly be dismissed, but I want to put it forth anyway.

Others have mentioned this already, but it's common in the final hours of votes for the voting phase to get hectic.

There are many players that will take a look at the voting totals, and then pick betweeen maybe the four or five players that are likely to get lynched.

I think instead we should look at the entire player base and only vote out someone that you genuinely think is scum.

And please don't vote someone out to save someone else that "think" is town. Even if that player is batsnacks, just let them be lynched.

It'll be much easier to hold players accountable to their voting patterns if we don't create senseless bandwagons that make it easy for scum to hide their votes.

If you're really not sure, or don't think anyone is scum yet. Just don't vote. Or vote "no lynch."

I'll unvote for now and comeback with my top suspect upon thinking about it.

vote: Ri'Orius

Bronx-Man

Banned
For what it's worth, my three biggest scum reads right now are Dusk, CCS, & AB. Though I will say that reading back a few posts, I would give CCS the benefit of the doubt. AbsolutBro on the other hand, I can't tell if he's scum trying to protect another scum or a scum trying to protect a townie for whatever reason.

Then again, they could always be lovers.

cabot

For what it's worth, my three biggest scum reads right now are Dusk, CCS, & AB. Though I will say that reading back a few posts, I would give CCS the benefit of the doubt. AbsolutBro on the other hand, I can't tell if he's scum trying to protect another scum or a scum trying to protect a townie for whatever reason.

Then again, they could always be lovers.

crap this is a post i follow the logic of, what are you doing to me Bronx.

Kyanrute

The AB loves CCS thing. I see CCS' reaction and it feels out of place. Aggressive defense with claim threats is rather much I feel. Odd. I'm not seeing the AB uses protect on CCS bit and that makes me worry about Splinter again. Then I see Zipped and Flame parrot Splinter's ideas and that makes me worried about them too.

Your perspective here is important. If you are town, you need to think about why someone who has not really interacted with you is backing you up.

All Town players right now should only fully trust batkawl, no one else. Hard stances therefore are noteworthy. Trust is earned around these parts in this early stage, and yet AB seemed to have trusted you a hell of a lot more than me.

Do you think you've been so Town that it warrants that trust right now?

I feel like I'm trustworthy. AB has played quite a few games with me, maybe he feels happier with my meta than you do?

Oh and this is such a weird answer. No :p.

Kawl_USC

The AB loves CCS thing. I see CCS' reaction and it feels out of place. Aggressive defense with claim threats is rather much I feel. Odd. I'm not seeing the AB uses protect on CCS bit and that makes me worry about Splinter again. Then I see Zipped and Flame parrot Splinter's ideas and that makes me worried about them too.

Oh and this is such a weird answer. No :p.
The protect part is a bit easy to miss on a reread because ab takes the roundabout method of calling it meta shit which doesn't apply to discredit the push against ccs rather than out right defending him.

At least is how those susp of him see it. I'm not as wholly convinced.

Kyanrute

Ohhhh so it went that far? I found the "defense" post but by the point I got to Splinter the bad cop I couldn't make any sense of the argument.

work work

cabot

Yeah, that answer wasn't great.

I admit however that this may be a difference between what I expect a mafia player to think/give and what CCS expects.

Like out of CCS, AB and Dusk. Id put CCS at the bottom of the that threesome of most scummy.

Afterthis morning's responses, I feel that I just expected more of CCS than what he has given, which makes me think he's the most likely to be town of the three.

Dusk is admittedly a blind read, he's being really scummy right now, but he was really fucking scummy in Anime, so that's all I can say on him. I just feel like everything he has given us so far isn't an alignment tell, it's just Dusk.

AB is more curious. Splinter pressed him and he continued to give no real answer. I am expecting him to turn up before day end, but so far yeah. He defended someone really strongly when he didn't need to and the posts before just seem like he's turning up but not really applying his skills. I'm only weary about this because it seems that the group disagree with me, and well group rule is something to take note of.

I'll vote Dusk if I have to, because he's done too much damage in previous games for me to give him a free pass. AB is still my top scum for the day phase.

What makes you discern Dusk as Unhelpful town vs crazy stirring scum?

Can you give me your CCS reasons again?
Gut mainly and spending too much time with other unhelpful town in previous games as compared to crazy stirring scum. Seen too many mislynches in other games with the same reasoning. Of course, doesn't mean it applies here but its how I feel.

Didn't care for the way he defended himself. Maybe he usually defends that way in other games but it felt harsher than it needed to wothin the first 24 hours or whatever of D1. But much like Dusk it is gut feelings.

*Splinter

Can you go over why you think AbsolutBro is scum real quick? I know that that some people were suspicious of how he defended CCS, but I would like to hear your present reasons for suspecting him.
Defended CCS using out of game arguments instead of in game reads. Had no interest in determining CCS' alignment despite a) claiming not to have a read on him and b) taking the time to defend him.

There might have been more stuff that came up during our argument but that's the crux of it. He seems to trust CCS by default, no town player should be doing that.

Kyanrute

ok this shit is fucking confusing still

OG accusation by Cabbie the Cabot: CCS IS BEING FLUFFY, POSTS MEANINGLESS THINGS AND DOES NOT EXPLAIN HIS VOTES. ALSO HE WANTS TO KILL POOR LP.

CCS: *assumes defensive yet aggressive stance* I'LL CLAIM.

Cabot wants AB to comment on CCS' reaction (= Cabot wants to know what AB thought of CCS' overall reaction to the original accusation?).
AB comments on the reaction post with the claim threat (but not on what caused the reaction, nor on the accusation overall?).
Splinter says that AB is wanting to shut the discussion down because he commented on a specific post and not on the overall matter.
AB says that he was talking about the overall reaction in his previous post critizised by Splinter. Implies (kinda? somewhat?) that the case against CCS was all about da #meta.

Am I even going the right way?

cabot

OG accusation by Cabbie the Cabot: CCS IS BEING FLUFFY, POSTS MEANINGLESS THINGS AND DOES NOT EXPLAIN HIS VOTES. ALSO HE WANTS TO KILL POOR LP.

Cabot wants AB to comment on CCS' reaction (= Cabot wants to know what AB thought of CCS' overall reaction to the original accusation?).
AB comments on the reaction post with the claim threat (but not on what caused the reaction, nor on the accusation overall?).
Splinter says that AB is wanting to shut the discussion down because he commented on a specific post and not on the overall matter.
AB says that he was talking about the overall reaction in his previous post critizised by Splinter. Implies (kinda? somewhat?) that the case against CCS was all about da #meta.

you've described the events, but what do you feel of the events personally?

Burbeting

Banned
blargonaut (1)
bronx-man 95 (296)
kawl_usc 292 (508)
zeusy 551

oceanicair (0)
batsnacks 135 (589)

ccs (0)
ri'orius 159 (407)
bronx-man 555 (679)

absolutbro (2)
cabot 194 (457)
*splinter 592
cabot 703
blargonaut 792 (818)

cabot (2)
acohrs 201
ccs 352
blargonaut 758 (792)

acohrs (0)
kawl_usc 210 (292)

kyanrute (0)
*splinter 234 (592)

ri'orius (1)
dusk soldier 349 (665)
cabot 457 (703)
dusk soldier 665 (808)
skyodin 834

thegoddamn (0)
ri'orius 407 (676)

zeusy (0)
blargonaut 429 (681)

timeaisis (0)
kawl_usc 508 (570)

flame_ac (3)
timeaisis 523
kyanrute 802
zippedpinhead 807 (825)
blargonaut 824

dusksoldier (0)
batsnacks 589 (590)

dusk soldier (5)
batsnacks 590
isaacnukem 671
ri'orius 676
bronx-man 679
kawl_usc 846

kalor (1)
oceanicair 614

zippedpinhead (0)
isaacnukem 666 (671)

dusk solider (0)
kawl_usc 668 (846)

lone_prodigy (0)
blargonaut 681 (692)

bronx-man (1)
flame_ac 683

no lynch (0)
blargonaut 692 (758)

skyodin (1)
dusk soldier 808

isaacnukem (0)
blargonaut 818 (823)

pin_1501797600.png

Kyanrute

you've described the events, but what do you feel of the events personally?

1. CCS' reaction was extreme.
2. There is a disconnection between what AB is saying and what he says he is saying.

Assuming I am getting the events correctly, had to read it over a few times to make sense if all the parties in the discussion were agreeing that they were talking about the same things.

*Splinter

AB complains about the accusation against CCS, insists it is meta. Cabot wants AB to comment on CCS' reaction (= Cabot wants to know what AB thought of CCS' overall reaction to the original accusation?).

I added the bolded line, because you ignored the most important part of the whole chain. There is also a post by AB that literally says "I just want to make it clear I don't have a point here and move on". Will fetch actual quotes....

Kyanrute

I added the bolded line, because you ignored the most important part of the whole chain.

I mean, it's Gafia. Don't take it personally and just play, is the best advice I can give.

That one? I can see it being read as "it is the meta and nothing but the meta" but it's not that strongly worded so I read it more as a encouragement, like "do not fight against that what cannot be defeated." It links to the rest, kinda, but I feel it only becomes part of the defense with the rest of the discussion. At the time of posting, I don't see it being much of a defense at all.

*Splinter

Ok let's make sure I have this right.

Cabot calls CCS fluffy.

CCS complains about being meta read for... some reason:
Player plays as usual = scumtell

Player doesn't play as usual = scumtell

Well I'm fucked then.

Looks like it's time for my D1 role claim.

AB consoles CCS:
I mean, it's Gafia. Don't take it personally and just play, is the best advice I can give.

Cabot asks for AB's read on CCS:
got some comments on that reaction other than some friendly advice?

AB doesn't want to know:
Not really? It's a common enough sentiment expressed by multiple players across multiple games with results ranging from "ef you guys I play like I want" to "fuck you guys, I'm out". I could say more, but it would stray into out of game meta stuff. Suffice to say "I don't think you're playing how you usually play" is not something I really consider alignment indicative.

I point out that CCS is overreacting to nothing, and accuse AB of not answering Cabot's question (there is a bit of confusion here because I can't tell what AB is talking about when he complains about meta):
It's not, which only makes CCS' panicked response all the more noteworthy imo

And now he's trying to play the whole thing off as sarcasm, but the tone is completely different.
Actually I really don't like this post. Cabot asked about CCS' reaction. Instead, you talk about the post he was reacting to and spin it into a whole "rah rah big bad meta out of game" to shut down the conversation.

AB claims he did answer cabot's question. It's still confusing to me, but I think he's defending CCS being frustrated about a meta read (that never happened):
No, the "panicked response" is the EXACT thing I'm talking about. The frustrated sentiment that no matter how someone plays they will get #scumread for not playing the exact same way every game. None of which has anything to do specifically with THIS game of Mafia, but rather the way GAF plays Mafia and trying to constantly tie behaviour in one game to behaviour in another game. THAT is the out of game metashit I'm talking about.

None of which says anything about whether CCS is scum or not, which is why I was trying to clarify my (lack of a) point and move on.
The bolding is mine. The last line is the "I don't know CCS alignment and I don't care, I don't want to talk about this let's move on."

*Splinter

That one? I can see it being read as "it is the meta and nothing but the meta" but it's not that strongly worded so I read it more as a encouragement, like "do not fight against that what cannot be defeated." It links to the rest, kinda, but I feel it only becomes part of the defense with the rest of the discussion. At the time of posting, I don't see it being much of a defense at all.
I had remembered it slightly out of order, clarified now.

cabot

fuck sake, we have just over an hour left and no extra votes from the rather large group who don't have a vote down

What the fuck?

Kyanrute

VOTE: AbsolutBro

For the sake of tomorrow's discussion, getting Dusk or AB feels like the best course of action right now.

Ri'Orius

Is it absolutely necessary to vote?

Rules-wise, no. You can not vote, or explicitly vote for No Lynch, and either is 100% legal.

Strategically, not voting is seen as a scummy thing to do (and voting No Lynch is beyond the pale). Looking at voting patterns that emerge over time is one of the most reliable ways to find scum. Abstaining from that process comes across as trying to hide by not committing to anything.

I understand we've got very little to go on here. We'll very likely lynch town. But seeing who voted to lynch town, who voted for someone else, the reasons people gave for their votes: this is how we'll eventually track down scum. Plus, you never know. We could get lucky this time.

Bottom line: you're allowed to abstain, but voting is your civic duty.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Hmmm I just feel as if there's not enough info yet. And that maybe day two will be easier. I don't simply want to dogpile someone on the off chance they might be innocent.

*Splinter

Hmmm I just feel as if there's not enough info yet. And that maybe day two will be easier. I don't simply want to dogpile someone on the off chance they might be innocent.
Suppose we lynch Dusk and he turns out to be town. That gives us more info to work with on day 2 as we can look back at today knowing for sure that he was town. There will likely be other stuff to look out from the night phase as well, but the more info we have to work with the better. It'll almost always feel we don't have quite enough info.

Kyanrute

What if it is worth to take the risk on brutally murdering an innocent on the off chance (n%) they are the avatar of the evil itself?

Because rolling that dice is the way to win. Death equals information. Life gives us nothing new to work with.

Please make note of the post minimum and your own perosnal post count before end of day.

blargonaut (1)
bronx-man 95 (296)
kawl_usc 292 (508)
zeusy 551

oceanicair (0)
batsnacks 135 (589)

ccs (0)
ri'orius 159 (407)
bronx-man 555 (679)

absolutbro (3)
cabot 194 (457)
*splinter 592
cabot 703
blargonaut 792 (818)
kyanrute 880

cabot (2)
acohrs 201
ccs 352
blargonaut 758 (792)

acohrs (0)
kawl_usc 210 (292)

kyanrute (0)
*splinter 234 (592)

ri'orius (1)
dusk soldier 349 (665)
cabot 457 (703)
dusk soldier 665 (808)
skyodin 834

thegoddamn (0)
ri'orius 407 (676)

zeusy (0)
blargonaut 429 (681)

timeaisis (0)
kawl_usc 508 (570)

flame_ac (2)
timeaisis 523
kyanrute 802 (880)
zippedpinhead 807 (825)
blargonaut 824

dusksoldier (0)
batsnacks 589 (590)

dusk soldier (5)
batsnacks 590
isaacnukem 671
ri'orius 676
bronx-man 679
kawl_usc 846

kalor (1)
oceanicair 614

zippedpinhead (0)
isaacnukem 666 (671)

dusk solider (0)
kawl_usc 668 (846)

lone_prodigy (0)
blargonaut 681 (692)

bronx-man (1)
flame_ac 683

no lynch (0)
blargonaut 692 (758)

skyodin (1)
dusk soldier 808

isaacnukem (0)
blargonaut 818 (823)

Yay or Nay?

I think scum Dusk would be quieter, as town Dusk tends to make non-traditional posts that get him lynched, but again, maybe he's trying something new.

As for AB, he may play under a slightly different style that involves less meta. He may have just chained his wagon to CCS as an example.

cabot

I think scum Dusk would be quieter, as town Dusk tends to make non-traditional posts that get him lynched, but again, maybe he's trying something new.

As for AB, he may play under a slightly different style that involves less meta. He may have just chained his wagon to CCS as an example.

so who are you to two scum?

SkyOdin

Vote: absolutbro
I don't really think Dusk is scum so much as wildly flailing about right now. AB has been too quiet in comparison.

Gonna put my vote on where I think it belongs

vote: CCS

Not gonna do any last minute push on AB. But I want my vote on record.

Top Bottom