• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insane Housing Market, y'all be fuked

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I honestly don't know how any young person can get themselves onto the property ladder these days with the price of houses, our current house is now outside our purchase realm having gone up double since we bought it 8yrs ago, that's fine for me as it's our forever home and we love the area but when I look at London, it's a whole different ballgame, hell it's playing by it's own rules..

Take that property, £1.2 mil for a property that's a third the size of mine yet is 3 times the price, how in the fuck are ordinary people meant to get on the ladder over there, even the ones who own these that bought them back in the day, their kids are fucked and will have to end up having to leave London or move to the outskirts, it's just bonkers.

Not everyone in London is making £200k/yr and married to someone making similar bank, there's millions of ordinary working men and women and young couples just starting out, how do they do it, how is there so many people living and buying there with those insane prices..

Many people in my city rent rooms of a house/apartment for $400 a month.

They only have access to one room and have to share the kitchen.

It's probably the cheapest option in my city apart from homeless shelters.

Speaking of that there are over 3500 homeless people in my city.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That’s actually pretty reasonable for that part of Fulham these days 😫

I wouldn’t even be trying to stay in London if I were a young person. Much better opportunities in all but a few industries elsewhere, and you don’t have to bankrupt yourself.

Mind you, the pathetic amount of housing that’s been built over the last 14 years doesn’t help anywhere.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Not everyone in London is making £200k/yr and married to someone making similar bank, there's millions of ordinary working men and women and young couples just starting out, how do they do it
Yeah, I wonder who the people are who're buying these properties and why they're paying it.

Part of my justification for being near london is in the way that the housing in and around London is going up and up at a faster rate. At some point we'll sell up and move a long way away to somewhere where prices are less crazy which should get us a nice place and good amount of cash too.

I don't see how this housing market can be fixed - there's neither the will nor the space for it to happen in the next 20 years and by then I'll be looking to get out.

Sybrix

I brought my house in 2020 when interest rates were low, if i had to buy now, i dont think i could afford it.

London is out of the question for me anyway, i live in the home counties, always have but even here the house prices are insane.

One of the problem's the western world has had for the last 15+ years is interest rates being so low, it's come as a shock to us all now that rates are at around 5%-7% for a mortgage/loans.

Going forward if inflation drops back to pre 2020 levels, i don't see the interest rates dropping to lower than 3%.

midnightAI

I honestly don't know how any young person can get themselves onto the property ladder these days with the price of houses, our current house is now outside our purchase realm having gone up double since we bought it 8yrs ago, that's fine for me as it's our forever home and we love the area but when I look at London, it's a whole different ballgame, hell it's playing by it's own rules..

Take that property, £1.2 mil for a property that's a third the size of mine yet is 3 times the price, how in the fuck are ordinary people meant to get on the ladder over there, even the ones who own these that bought them back in the day, their kids are fucked and will have to end up having to leave London or move to the outskirts, it's just bonkers.

Not everyone in London is making £200k/yr and married to someone making similar bank, there's millions of ordinary working men and women and young couples just starting out, how do they do it, how is there so many people living and buying there with those insane prices..
That's London for ya

I live in Lancashire and for roughly the same money (actually slightly cheaper):

This one is also very pretty:

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Come to Murrica, we got more space and better food 😬

But yeah, in most markets here it’s stupid too. Our house has almost doubled in value since we bought it about 6 years ago, which is just silly. And it’s still about 25% the cost of the house I grew up in, despite being the same size and built around the same year. And it means we’ll probably never sell, unless something unexpected happens. We’ve got a low fixed interest rate, I got snipped so no more kids on the way, and I’ve about tripled my income since buying. It’s nice not being house poor. It sucks for people just starting out, but hey I had to have roommates in my 20s too.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That's London for ya

I live in Lancashire and for roughly the same money (actually slightly cheaper):

This one is also very pretty:

Obviously lovely, but it might as well be on the moon if you want or need to be in or near London.

...I assumed Manchester might be getting up there for house prices and had a look on rightmove for places near the city center. Prices descending. 1.5m a detached house that didn't look that special.

Then I saw the tennis court! Haha

It does make you wonder what the hell is going on - £1m+ terraced houses in South London Vs a place with grounds, tennis court or swimming pool or cinema.

Confirmed: London house prices are total insanity. I think I've been boiling frog-ed.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Obviously lovely, but it might as well be on the moon if you want or need to be in or near London.

...I assumed Manchester might be getting up there for house prices and had a look on rightmove for places near the city center. Prices descending. 1.5m a detached house that didn't look that special.

It does make you wonder what the hell is going on - £1m+ terraced houses in South London Vs a place with grounds, tennis court or swimming pool or cinema.

Confirmed: London house prices are total insanity. I think I've been boiling frog-ed.
Yeh, it is very much an issue if you work in London, but you can get there reasonably quickly on the train if you are happy to commute from outside, even 100 miles away. But if you don't have to work in London then its silly to live there due to the house prices which are just nuts, its not a recent thing though, house prices there have been silly for a long time.

Mistake

That's how it seems to go, unfortunately. If you live in a developing area, costs will go up a lot. Any big business that decides to move in will out price the locals until it's strangled to death and people move out. That's what you see with NYC.

But if you're there when the beginning of this adjustment happens, and work for one of these businesses, you'll make a ton of money until the scales tip.

Vyse

Gold Member
Years ago when I first got married and got my first job in manhattan, I could only afford to get an apartment in Queens. My commute was insane. I could only imagine what prices are like now.

Cost of houses in Las Vegas, where we live now, is insane. People are selling their houses in California and dropping cash.

Our house is a new build and we have been here for 6 years. Sold our last house so we had a strong down payment. Got a 15 year fixed at 2.25%. Thankfully we have the ability to make an extra payment each month to principle. House has almost doubled in value. Should have it fully paid off in 6 years. Bad part is the increase in property taxes.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The protentional pool of buyers is smaller too with interest rates being so high you cannot afford the loan. I am in a house at %3.2, if I was at the current rate of %7, I would not be here.

Constantly increasing property taxes are a real zinger too.

I honestly dont know whats to come. It cant keep going like this. Just feels ominous and like an impending crash and yet it never happens.

It’s like boomers thought they were building wealth for their kids and then they learn that all this wealth they thought they worked hard accumulating, is just going into supporting/buying middle class living.

no grand improvements to their heirs lifestyles and living. Everything just staying the same, but for a hell of a lot “more”.

dorkimoe

Got my mini/starter home basically before all this nonsense, its gone up 50k in price. The real issue is banks are buying up all the houses and renting them for insane prices. They own like 35% of the houses now or something insane.

Cyberpunkd

One of the problem's the western world has had for the last 15+ years is interest rates being so low, it's come as a shock to us all now that rates are at around 5%-7% for a mortgage/loans.
That is not the main problem, as this "only" affects how much money you can borrow. The main issue is the fact property prices in e.g. Paris are 10k€/m2.

GeekyDad

...Not everyone in London is making £200k/yr and married to someone making similar bank, there's millions of ordinary working men and women and young couples just starting out, how do they do it, how is there so many people living and buying there with those insane prices..
Yeah...

There was a (very) short period where class distinctions balanced out a wee bit, but the disparity is probably now worse than it's been since the (American) Great Depression. It's pretty farking fuked up. I still get sticker shock just at the grocery store.

And like you, our house also has doubled in value, evidently. We get realtors bothering us regularly to sell. My wife refuses, though, so it's moot.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In the UK, the housing market is broken.

The housing market needs first time buyers. However, house prices have far exceeded wages, making it extremely hard for first time buyers to get on the housing market.

In my town there are houses being built, but they're being snapped up in bidding wars between developers and people from London.

I enquired about a house a few weeks ago. The estate agent was honest and said the place was currently being fought over between two developers who wanted to rent it out. There was no way I'd be able to financially compete with them.

Lunarorbit

Our house was also doubled in value in 8 years. We updated the oil burning furnace,put a new roof to, and replaced half the windows. That's all.

The land is worth close to a million (1.3 acres). The property is not worth that much. There's less land to build on but nothing else real has changed

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Constantly increasing property taxes are a real zinger too.

I honestly dont know whats to come. It cant keep going like this. Just feels ominous and like an impending crash and yet it never happens.

It’s like boomers thought they were building wealth for their kids and then they learn that all this wealth they thought they worked hard accumulating, is just going into supporting/buying middle class living.

no grand improvements to their heirs lifestyles and living. Everything just staying the same, but for a hell of a lot “more”.

My insurance is really going up too. When I moved into the house 3 years ago, annual was 3k. I have people offering 6k and 8k annually for insurance. Last year I paid 4k, this year my lowest was 5.2k.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Work remotely if your job allows it and become an expat.

I cant wait to get the fuck out of Canada. Shit weather, high cost of living.
That’s funny, Canada is at the top of my list of relocation places depending on how things keep going here. But really only because we could afford it.

I really liked New Zealand too…but that’s a ways away…

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yeh, it is very much an issue if you work in London, but you can get there reasonably quickly on the train if you are happy to commute from outside, even 100 miles away. But if you don't have to work in London then its silly to live there due to the house prices which are just nuts, its not a recent thing though, house prices there have been silly for a long time.

I don't know if you make those kind of journeys, but I would not commit to regularly commuting 100 miles each way on the train, it was bad enough when I used to do 25 miles - one blip or missed train and I could easily spend over 3 hours travelling/standing in a station waiting for the next train per day.

And let's be frank, season tickets from those sorts of distances cost £10k a year. How much closer to work can you get for an extra £1000 a month?

I think train costs are a big factor in the South East house prices. If you've got a couple who are looking at buying a house and need to commute to work you could be looking at over £20k a year easily. I don't travel in much now, but a peak ticket is getting on for £50 a day from the station I used to travel in from (25 miles to London).

Last edited:

midnightAI

I don't know if you make those kind of journeys, but I would not commit to regularly commuting 100 miles each way on the train, it was bad enough when I used to do 25 miles - one blip or missed train and I could easily spend over 3 hours travelling/standing in a station waiting for the next train per day.

And let's be frank, season tickets from those sorts of distances cost £10k a year. How much closer to work can you get for an extra £1000 a month?

I think train costs are a big factor in the South East house prices. If you've got a couple who are looking at buying a house and need to commute to work you could be looking at over £20k a year easily. I don't travel in much now, but a peak ticket is getting on for £50 a day from the station I used to travel in from (25 miles to London).
Never had to do 100 miles, but I did have to catch the train 30 miles + a 6 mile bus journey (the bus journey was three times longer as the train journey), did that for 10 years (and yes, many a time something happened with the train (usually not far from the station) and I'd be hours late, once even missing the last bus (so over 6 hours late)

But regarding the cost, thats the offset with getting nicer but cheaper housing, so its all offset. But you are right, it is a pain in the arse, I wouldnt do it, but many people do commute into London, maybe not many from that far away though.

Go_Ly_Dow

The housing market and high cost of living is a messed up issue in a lot of countries. I have friends in BC Canada who say they will have to save for another decade despite already having over $100k in savings just to really get their foot in the door. That's assuming no sharp increases in property prices. Just collosal failure all around from Governments not prioristing the needs of their citizens and up and coming generations.

The rental culture will drive up inequality between people, there'll be those that have assets and those that don't because they're struggling just to pay someone else just to borrow their home essentially. For that reason I am against renting and prefer living with family and pay my share.

Around where I live a starter home (2/3 bedrooms) will set you back about £300-400k, which is a lot higher than some parts of the country and a lot less than other parts, so somewhere in the middle I think. I am saving at the moment and hope to have my own place by the end of next year.

I think some of the best bets to make in terms of saving for a home are:

1. If you're single and have a good relationship with your parents and they have space in their home, then live with your parents for a few years and save save save.
2. If you're looking to get married, then find someone who wants to build a future such as owning property together. It's doable on a dual income even if starting from £0.
3. Keep looking to advance your career path or find alternative (but legal :messenger_winking:) ways of making money. Whether working a few more hours or a side hustle that isn't too demanding.
4. Take a serious look at your spending and how you can save more. Getting a takeout coffee/drinks each day etc really does add up. As do so many things. Cooking more at home, cancelling unecessary subscriptions/memberships etc.. helps and over the course of a year is a lot of money saved.
5. If you have parents/family that can give you cash towards a property and they are good for money, then take up the offer
6. If you have the skills to work abroad in a country where the housing market is more affordable then it's worth considering. But also you need to think about how long you'd really live in that country for... would you get homesick etc.
7. Remote work can help you cut a lot of expenses as it minimises commuting costs and work day expenses such as the temptation of buying lunch/coffee everyday.

Also the modern world and social media bullshit can make you feel like crap for not going on frequent holidays or driving a fancy car. All that stuff is noise and should be ignored, whether you have £1 or £1million in your bank account. Developing your character is better investment, as well as saving for your own home over those things.

No one asked for this advice but I hope it helps some of the younger crowd on GAF.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter how high rates are or how low supply is because if the homeowner doesn’t want to sell, or wants to sell at a high price there’s nothing you can do about it except hope and pray the guy is desperate to dump it to live in a retirement home asap, there’s a big crisis forcing people to dump, or your city amps up home building production in all types of homes way faster than the population growth. If you’re not getting these, then the home owners will just wait it out for a good price.

What doesn’t help keep prices down is ever since the internet got running and checking for listings became the norm in the 2000s, prices go up too because every guy in the city, country or overseas can see and bid on the same property. That’s why you got tons of bidding wars. It wasn’t like this before the net when people would only see a listing if your agent told you or you saw it in a weekly sales binder at a brokerage (like a used car classified ad booklet) or you saw it driving by by luck.

You can only build so many homes with two hands and cranes. But you can get a million eyeballs all seeing homes for sale.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Same problem here in Portugal.I think the solution has to go thru forbid room renting and rents should be made for no less then 1 year. Houses should not be a business, houses should be made for people to live in (except for those who build them).
I'm far from an expert, but something has to be done.
Well, forbib room renting is maybe too much...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Same problem here in Portugal.I think the solution has to go thru forbid room renting and rents should be made for no less then 1 year. Houses should not be a business, houses should be made for people to live in (except for those who build them).
I'm far from an expert, but something has to be done.
Well, forbib room renting is maybe too much...
The gov can free up more places for people to buy if they made laws saying people can only own one home at a time. Or a company in business to scoop up condos and townhouses for sake of renting can’t do that anymore.

Only problem is if that happens, can the renters suddenly be able to afford buying houses on their own?

It’s not like the price of homes will necessarily go down either. In Toronto, a brand new home has permit/development fees set by government ranging from $50,000 to $100,000+ right off the bat that goes right to the government coffers. That’s why a small condo is still at minimum probably around $500,000.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Everything you own in the future will be a subscription, even properties in convenient locations and they'll continue calling that a rent.

Last edited:

there is absolutely no point comparing London and Manchester.
London is one of the few "global cities" in the world and attracts a big part of all the very high earners in Europe. The UK is a very concentrated country economically and culturally with London being the center of everything. In other European countries, "tier 2" cities can have the benefit of being near the sea, the Alps, have a nice climate, etc but there is no such thing in the UK. London is the only attractive "large city" in the UK from a global money POV.

On a relative basis vs. the US (NYC, SF, etc.), other European cities (Paris, Milan, etc.) and Asian hubs (HK, Singapore, etc.) it now looks "cheap" as investors have been relatively bearish on the UK since 2016 (since Brexit). I believe it is due a massive rebound given its intrinsic qualities and the amount of money there is in London, which is frankly quite obscene when compared to other European capitals.

In prime central London, prices are still down (by 20% roughly) vs 2016. The growth is very different from the US, which IMO is overvalued at the moment (but the US economy looks unstoppable right now so what do I know?).

Last edited:

ahtlas7

you-will.gif

welcome to renters world…

I live in Vancouver, Canada and housing is through the roof here. Apartments selling for over $1m here. I consider myself lucky as I bought in a while back, but young people today are priced out of the market.
To me this is a failure of government. there has to be some kind of revolt happening soon. This can't continue. I mean people have a right to be able to afford to house themselves.

Homeless camp have exploded and it's hard to see people living like that. This can't become the new normal.

I bought my house in 2018, refinanced in 2020. Now the value is double what I paid. I also think the same, how can people afford houses today? Today I will not be able to afford the same house even though I am making more.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Wall Street Has Spent Billions Buying Homes. A Crackdown Is Looming.​

Lawmakers say investors that scooped up hundreds of thousands of houses to rent out are driving up home prices​

Democrats in the U.S. Senate and House have sponsored legislation that would force large owners of single-family homes to sell houses to family buyers. A Republican’s bill in the Ohio state legislature aims to drive out institutional owners through heavy taxation.

Lawmakers in Nebraska, California, New York, Minnesota and North Carolina are among those proposing similar laws.

While homeowner associations for years have sought to stop investors from buying and renting out houses in their neighborhoods, the legislative proposals represent a new effort by elected officials to regulate Wall Street’s appetite for single-family homes.

These lawmakers say that investors that have scooped up hundreds of thousands of houses to rent out are contributing to the dearth of homes for sale and driving up home prices. They argue that investor buying has made it harder for first-time buyers to compete with Wall Street-backed investment firms and their all-cash offers.

Investors of all sizes spent billions of dollars buying homes during the pandemic. At the 2022 peak, they bought more than one in every four single-family homes sold, though more recently their activity has slowed as interest rates rose and supply became tighter. Two of the largest home-buying firms, Invitation Homes and AMH, are publicly traded companies, while a number of other companies, backed by private equity, hold portfolios of tens of thousands of homes nationwide.

Companies that buy single-family homes say their businesses provide renters the opportunity to live in desirable neighborhoods where they otherwise couldn’t afford to buy.

With home prices and rents near record highs around the U.S., legislators and officials at all levels of government have become more active on housing issues. States have passed new measures to fund more affordable housing, to allow builders to bypass local zoning laws and to make the eviction process more favorable to tenants.

Most calls to block large companies from snapping up homes come from liberals, but some conservatives also show an inclination to crack down.

This “corporate large-scale buying of residential homes seems to be distorting the market and making it harder for the average Texan to purchase a home,” Republican Gov. Greg Abbott wrote on X last month. “This must be added to the legislative agenda to protect Texas families.”

Close to equal numbers of voting-age Republicans and Democrats said they would support a measure to block Wall Street firms from buying homes, according to a new study funded by the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank. The study gauged opinion from 5,000 renters and homeowners in urban and suburban ZIP Codes.

Proposals to curb investors might be popular with voters, but so far they haven’t gained much traction in legislatures. None of the bills in Congress or in any of the state houses has reached a floor vote.

Advocates for the single-family rental industry, such as the National Rental Home Council, oppose such legislation and blame rising prices on an undersupply of new-construction homes. They also point to the relatively low number of homes owned by institutional investors, defined as those companies with portfolios of 1,000 homes or more. Some research estimates these companies own 3% to 5% of American rental homes.

In some American cities, institutional investors hold a much larger share of homes than they hold nationally. In Atlanta, nearly 11% of all rental homes in the five-county area are now owned by three real-estate companies, a recent study by researchers at Georgia State University found. A 2022 analysis by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said 21% of Atlanta rental homes were owned by some large institution.

Rep. Nikema Williams (D., Ga.), from the Atlanta area, in December co-sponsored the End Hedge Fund Control of American Homes Act in the U.S. House. The act “won’t solve all of the problems, but it will definitely make an impact,” she said in an interview.

Critics of regulation note that many of the largest investors have bought very few or no homes in the past year. “The great trade is done,” said John Burns, founder of the eponymous housing research and consulting firm. “So what are you trying to stop?”

Smaller investors that own between 10 and 99 homes have stepped up their share of home buying this year, Burns said. Some of the proposed legislation would also target these smaller investors.

The bills in the House and Senate would cap rental-home ownership at no more than 50 homes for many companies, requiring them to sell off any more they already own. A bill in Minnesota, meanwhile, would limit ownership to 20 homes.

Bills to block landlords in the Ohio and Nebraska state legislatures were written in response to a small number of investors buying up hundreds of homes in a handful of Cincinnati and Omaha neighborhoods.

Louis Blessing III, a Republican representing suburbs of Cincinnati in the Ohio Senate, introduced a bill to tax large landlords so heavily that they would likely feel compelled to sell their properties. Blessing said he is concerned about real-estate companies developing monopoly power in some neighborhoods, while putting starter homes further out of reach for home buyers.

“It’s an antitrust in spirit bill,” he said.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Don't live in major cities. Move to smaller communities further away.

Congrats, I just cut your rent down by nearly 70%.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Don't live in major cities. Move to smaller communities further away.

Congrats, I just cut your rent down by nearly 70%.
I live in a city with less than 6,000 people. The cheapest houses here are still $450,000 and go up significantly from there.

Average rent on a 1-bedroom apartment is still $1,700 a month.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I live in a city with less than 6,000 people. The cheapest houses here are still $450,000 and go up significantly from there.

Average rent on a 1-bedroom apartment is still $1,700 a month.
Come move to the Midwest. We have plenty of room, large 5 bed, 2 to 2.5 baths homes for less than 300,000.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Come move to the Midwest. We have plenty of room, large 5 bed, 2 to 2.5 baths homes for less than 300,000.
I was born and raised in the Midwest, and moved here 15 years ago (before the housing market was fucked). Been seriously considering moving back lately.

Pejo

Gold Member
It's not gonna get better until governments around the world step in and regulate people buying up property to use as rentals or just park it empty and wait for the value to improve. Large scale for-profit housing is insane to me., despite it apparently being very lucrative.

Raven117

The housing market and high cost of living is a messed up issue in a lot of countries. I have friends in BC Canada who say they will have to save for another decade despite already having over $100k in savings just to really get their foot in the door. That's assuming no sharp increases in property prices. Just collosal failure all around from Governments not prioristing the needs of their citizens and up and coming generations.

The rental culture will drive up inequality between people, there'll be those that have assets and those that don't because they're struggling just to pay someone else just to borrow their home essentially. For that reason I am against renting and prefer living with family and pay my share.

Around where I live a starter home (2/3 bedrooms) will set you back about £300-400k, which is a lot higher than some parts of the country and a lot less than other parts, so somewhere in the middle I think. I am saving at the moment and hope to have my own place by the end of next year.

I think some of the best bets to make in terms of saving for a home are:

1. If you're single and have a good relationship with your parents and they have space in their home, then live with your parents for a few years and save save save.
2. If you're looking to get married, then find someone who wants to build a future such as owning property together. It's doable on a dual income even if starting from £0.
3. Keep looking to advance your career path or find alternative (but legal :messenger_winking:) ways of making money. Whether working a few more hours or a side hustle that isn't too demanding.
4. Take a serious look at your spending and how you can save more. Getting a takeout coffee/drinks each day etc really does add up. As do so many things. Cooking more at home, cancelling unecessary subscriptions/memberships etc.. helps and over the course of a year is a lot of money saved.
5. If you have parents/family that can give you cash towards a property and they are good for money, then take up the offer
6. If you have the skills to work abroad in a country where the housing market is more affordable then it's worth considering. But also you need to think about how long you'd really live in that country for... would you get homesick etc.
7. Remote work can help you cut a lot of expenses as it minimises commuting costs and work day expenses such as the temptation of buying lunch/coffee everyday.

Also the modern world and social media bullshit can make you feel like crap for not going on frequent holidays or driving a fancy car. All that stuff is noise and should be ignored, whether you have £1 or £1million in your bank account. Developing your character is better investment, as well as saving for your own home over those things.

No one asked for this advice but I hope it helps some of the younger crowd on GAF.
The advice isn’t wrong, but you are viewing renting the wrong way.

Y’all are so focused on “owning” a house, but really, if you look at long term renting v owning… it’s not the pathway to riches it’s been billed in every case.

Another viable way forward is to rent below your means, invest the difference. You I’ll be participating in the market and better diversified.

Point being, you can make a lot of money not owning a house and doing other things.

(People, for some reason, have no issue talking about house appreciation, but find it “rude” to talk about an investment account)

I do not share of the opinion that the govs should do something. You can’t place everyone in front of a beach anyway. It would help, however, if taxes were lower and construction permits easier to obtain so that housing offer increases to offset the demand.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I already own a house, not in the US though, in my home country, where I will plan on retiring, as I own the house, already paid the tax, and nothing else is owed, all i will be left with is the monthly utility bills, which is usually not even a $100. So while I am currently in the US, renting, I don't plan on staying here after I retire.

Cyberpunkd

if you look at long term renting v owning… it’s not the pathway to riches it’s been billed in every case.
It is not, but the current climate is making this a pure economical transaction - "you are better of renting than owning". It completely ignores the psychological benefits of being an owner, having "a place to call your own", especially if you live somewhere with no rent controls.
I cannot imagine since 2020 during Covid, recession, war in Ukraine to also worry if someone will want to kick me out and I will have to find a new place.

BlackTron

I'm just focused on being prepared to fire the trigger when things do change, even if it takes years -I missed the window last time. It's definitely a horrible period to buy but I'm a patient man and the longer it takes the more money I'll have ready. Luckily wasting time on games and forums is extremely cheap.

Raven117

It is not, but the current climate is making this a pure economical transaction - "you are better of renting than owning". It completely ignores the psychological benefits of being an owner, having "a place to call your own", especially if you live somewhere with no rent controls.
I cannot imagine since 2020 during Covid, recession, war in Ukraine to also worry if someone will want to kick me out and I will have to find a new place.
Sure, but this is a wild card and wont be the same for everyone. Better to FIRST view it purely transactionally, then start factoring in the soft factors you are describing. Point being, don't beat yourself up on the homeownership thing if it doesn't quite fit. There are other ways to see a return on investments that can be better suited for ones position. Everyone is a little different on this with different values.

I'm just focused on being prepared to fire the trigger when things do change, even if it takes years -I missed the window last time. It's definitely a horrible period to buy but I'm a patient man and the longer it takes the more money I'll have ready. Luckily wasting time on games and forums is extremely cheap.
They say that it is foolish to time the market...but I say...if you truly have the patience, the discipline, and are doing other smart things with your money in the interim, it will work out just fine.

Change is coming...If I could tell you when, I would be a billionaire.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yeah, I missed my opportunity to be a homeowner years ago and now I'm fucked. Getting in now is nearly impossible if you're not making six figures it seems.

Top Bottom