• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview with Dean Dodrill (Dust: An Elysian Tail); responds to furry accusations

Sciz

Rei_Toei said:
- Would love to work on Jazz Jackrabbit again if Epic's interested
Jazz is dead, unfortunately. Even if they wanted to do a new one, I don't think Epic as they exist today would be capable of it.
Prove me wrong, Cliffy.

Kaijima said:
I thought it was by some Japanese or Korean guy
I think it's come up in other interviews that he's half-Korean, or something to that effect.

Regarding the style, I wouldn't say there's anything inherently "furry" about it, just that that's the stigma associated with it these days. It can be as good or bad or creepy as anything else, depending on the artist.

obonicus

Of course there's nothing wrong with it, any more than there's something wrong with generic anime. It's not like animal-headed people by itself is more offensive than the huge-breasted teenagers (with creepy-ass breathy little girl voices) you see on every other PSP game released in Japan.

obonicus said:
It's not like animal-headed people by itself is more offensive than the huge-breasted teenagers you see on every other PSP game released in Japan.

I'm going to stop you right there. I prefer big ol' human tits to wolf faces. Combine them and thats why we're having this discussion!

obonicus

SecretBonusPoint said:
I'm going to stop you right there. I prefer big ol' human tits to wolf faces. Combine them and thats why we're having this discussion!

That's your own creepy-ass fetish, and you're entitled to it.

ShinNL

I'm just saying you're being a bit of a hypocrite SecretBonusPoint.

Here's a quote from you
SecretBonusPoint said:
Yeah thats when the line starts to blur, but the fact is shes still a short cartoon character in a very specific art style. Its when you take a humans proportions and directly apply them to an animal you get the creepy furry effect.
Might that "specific art style" be... furry? Because no matter how you look at it, it's not an animal. It's okay if you can answer the question "will I hit that?" with yes or no, but once you start having 2nd doubts then you call it creepy. Sounds like totally subjective to me and your ways of trying to "explain" the difference is the reason why I specifically replied to you.

No its the Sonic the Hedgehog/Felix the Cat art-style. Nice try, but you failed the second you started massively editing a picture to prove your point.

ShinNL

SecretBonusPoint said:
No its the Sonic the Hedgehog/Felix the Cat art-style. Nice try, but you failed the second you started massively editing a picture to prove your point.
I failed nothing here, SecretBonusPoint.

ShinNL

SecretBonusPoint said:
One of us spent the afternoon photoshopping Rouge the Bat to have more human proportions. I beg to differ.
Maybe you just don't know how foolish you sound.

Sonic the Hedgehog style?

Did you know this game has the Dust style?

Feep

Banned
I'm surprised he hasn't weighed in; Mr. Dodrill posts here as Noogy. He's super nice. I'm really excited for Elysian Tale, and it absolutely deserved first prize in DBP last year.

Banned
Ash McCool beat me to it. Damn you Ash!!!

The line with furries is so blurred you can honestly say it doesn't exist. Some people just like making divisions out of fucking everything.

Alain-Christian

Neo Member
Soneet said:
Rouge.png
She has boobs but that doesn't make her furry. It just looks silly. She reminds me of old WB characters than furry art. Also, she's short. Furry stuff it typically human proportions.

The closer to human they look the more "Furry" it is in my opinion. That bat just looks like another funny animal.

I get what the guy in the interview is saying about the Furry backlash but I can't help that it creeps us the fuck out. I remember when that art style was innocent and nice and perfectly okay. I had a classmate that drew that way in first grade. I knew her up to 8th grade graduation. She wasn't a sick fuck as far as I know. And her drawings were really nice!

The furry classification has been around longer than the last decade, I looked it up! It's really the negative connotations that have risen in the last decade. I wish I DIDN'T know about it to be honest. It's hard to look at this game and not think "furry." I KNOW there are people that aren't sick fucks that like the style but man...

It's like a new homophobia. I have to get over MY kneejerk reaction. Sometimes a person just likes to draw that way. No funny business, you know?

But uh, Sonic and pals look like animals, why drag them into the mud with all this?

2San

I can translate that interview tomorrow if anyone's interested. I doesn't happen much where something dutch needs to get translated. o_O

A quick point. If people didn't go poking around on the Internet in places where that kind of "furry" shit shows up it wouldn't be a problem for them. I've never "checked out" furry people or their "stuff" so I have no idea what the hate/backlash is all about and therefore it seems pretty damned stupid from my perspective as a person who has followed games and animation for nearly 35 years.

It's an humanoid animal. So the fuck what? As he stated, it's been a staple for years in popular culture. The only way to have a negative/sick connotation to it is if you've ruined it for yourself.

Big One

Banned
I always felt that furry just referred to the fanbase who is obsessed with anthropomorphic animals and not the creatures itself. I blame 4chan's rabid use of the term causing it to alter with time much like how "weeaboo" is being used nowadays.

Noogy

LOL, I never realized I'd be quoted in a Neogaf thread title :D I have no clue how I missed this thread, considering how often I check the forums.

To be honest, I don't want to stir up this old argument. I'm just making something I think is cool, and hopefully others will feel the same way.

Yes, I do read all the comments and criticism (I redid the run animation, for example), and will hopefully be able to share some very cool news soon. For you supporters, you have my deepest and most sincere thanks. Seriously, nothing makes a dev feel better than knowing he has somehow struck a chord with like-minded gamers.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the 'furry' elements of this thread quietly fade away. It's a tired argument.

Noogy

Lijik said:
Dean is absolutely fantastic and I can't wait for Dust, but if a Jazz Jackrabbit sequel were to occur I'd much rather have Nick Stadler be in charge of the art and animation.
As much as I'd love to be on another Jazz, I agree that it was Nick's baby. To be honest I'm not sure who initially designed the look (perhaps it was Cliff?), but when I joined the team Nick was definitely the the artistic lead on the project. I was only 20, so I was definitely trying to catch up :)

Being a part of that team was definitely a highlight in my early career. Cliff obviously took Epic in an awesome direction, and the programming team eventually became Guerrilla Games (Killzone). Lots of talent there.

Top Bottom