• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

So yeah, Downwell is really fun. Easily worth the $3. It's inspired by Spelunky and Vlambeer games (Rami at Vlambeer even called it one of the best games of PAX East) and it definitely captures the frenetic feel of those. The shooting is punchy and satisfying. But you can't just fire mindlessly because you only have X amount of charges for your boots, and they only recharge once you land

The upgrades have all been really cool so far, ranging from causing blocks to shoot bullets when destroyed to recharging your boots when you collect gems, or having your boosts have rocket boosters when you run out of charges in mid-air

There's a a few extra mechanics, like a Gem High that boosts your bullet damage when you collect enough gems or stomping on enemies Mario-style to kill them

Voidance

Tight and responsive

Surprised that I'm preferring to play this on iPad rather than iPhone. I thought it would be best for the small screen, but on iPhone, the buttons are cramped at the bottom of the screen
Gotta agree. Hard to play well in my 6s but it plays like a dream on my iPad mini.

RustyO

I just have to say, I hate that Apple bumped up the prices on the app store for Australian users. This blows.

Already done from what I can see... US$1 = AU$1.50; US$5 = AU$8

Last time it really curtailed my spending a bit, probably even more so now, good bit of psychological affect for me I'd say.

Doesn't help that I've got $66 on my account.

PittaGAF

Already done from what I can see... US$1 = AU$1.50; US$5 = AU$8

Last time it really curtailed my spending a bit, probably even more so now, good bit of psychological affect for me I'd say.

Doesn't help that I've got $66 on my account.

Your avatar just reminded me out last convo!!!
Darkest Dungeon has a final date, Jan 2016!!!

Let's hope the mobile version isn't far behind that!!!

PittaGAF

I just tried Badland with the 3D Touch.
I'm actually impressed, works surprisingly well...it's like having an analogue button.

At first I though 3D Touch in general was a gimmick but I'm using it more and more...and I wish every app had it.
Now I can see some game genres benefitting from this too.
Can't wait two years from now to see where it will go.

TD:DR if you have a 3D Touch device update Badland.

Matt Frost

Downwell is awesome, spent this morning playing it. Love the controls (why people say they are bad on iPhone? They work perfect for me), strange graphics, the caves with treasures, killing with boots and mario style... the upgrading to become better, and the music... love it. It goes into the same category as Ridiculous Fishing and Knighmare Tower, the "addictive genre". Is satisfying and fun.

PittaGAF

From the makers of the excellent Lunar Flowers, another great looking experience:

The Beautiful Dream, based apparently on a Chinese poem.

EDIT: Just tried 5 minutes. GORGEOUS.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1011086561&mt=8

screen1136x1136.jpeg

screen1136x1136.jpeg

Double D

From the makers of the excellent Lunar Flowers, another great looking experience:

The Beautiful Dream, based apparently on a Chinese poem.

EDIT: Just tried 5 minutes. GORGEOUS.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1011086561&mt=8

I want to like Lunar Flowers but didn't play a whole lot because I couldn't make out the patterns on my 6+. So, I guess I'm seeing if anyone experienced anything similar and if this new game has anything like that.

Double D

I'm cross-posting this from the Kero Blaster thread in hopes that you guys might have some input here. In case it isn't clear, this is about the Kero Blaster update.

Finished it this morning (iOS). I really love this game. It's just the right amount of difficult for me.

Anyways so after beating it, similar to the regular game,
the guy asks if you want more (or something) and you say yes, pick a save, and move on to 'extra mode'. Seems like it's just like the first game at first, but I went on to the secret area (beginning of third level I think?) where you originally get the Kuro Blaster.

Not sure if just am not remembering correctly, but this version sends you through a bizarre set of levels at this point where if you die you start back at the beginning of stage 3. I've gotten through about 3 or 4 'screens' so far. A lot of them are just pitch black and you're falling and have to float to the platform at the bottom or else you fall to your death.

I'm going to keep at it but wondering if anyone else has made it through these and what it entails.

Manik

Created a game called "Neogaf" let me know if you join.

Yup, I'm in! Don't know if I entirely understand the game, but will have a quick watch of the tutorial videos none the less. The tutorial was challenging enough, though :/

Haden

Banned
Yup, I'm in! Don't know if I entirely understand the game, but will have a quick watch of the tutorial videos none the less. The tutorial was challenging enough, though :/

You are right next to me,
best of friends?

Manik

Yeah, may as well wait for it to fill up - give people some time to go through the tutorials. Would be a shame to miss someone out if they've been looking forward it it. Especially as the games can go on for some time. And we'll have to account for people dropping out unexpectedly!

PittaGAF

Afraid so, I will start a new game straight after this one and advertise it a bit better.

Ah! No problem, I'll join next one!
I see they much improved the game all around since last I tried the beta, and there are more additional things to do I never saw before (like funding).

Manik

Having said that can two games be made at once?

Yep, I think so. But you can only participate in more than one at a time if you buy the "full" version (the level 2 security clearance IAP).

Comes out at 7.99 for me, in the UK store, so will probably wait to pick it up fully until I see how much staying power the game has.

Chuckpebble

Game is fun. A tad awkward to play on a 4" device. It feels cramped and I haven't settled on a good way to hold my phone yet.

You can unlock color palettes by playing and I'm kind of surprised by one of them.

Can you guys tell me what what color 1. Matcha is on your devices? If you unlocked palletes, you can pause the game and change them at any time by tapping the status bar to access the menu.

RustyO

Your avatar just reminded me out last convo!!!
Darkest Dungeon has a final date, Jan 2016!!!

Let's hope the mobile version isn't far behind that!!!

Excellent! Looking forward to it. I've been holding back on it because I can see how much I'd enjoy it on iPad, so don't want to burn out.

And it should be
glorious!

Absolutely loving Downwell. Even changed my opinion on the phone controls.

Easily mobile's best action roguelite yet, and one of the best shooters on the platform. This is Vlambeer level of satisfying firepower and tight controls

colinp

Banned
Game is fun. A tad awkward to play on a 4" device. It feels cramped and I haven't settled on a good way to hold my phone yet.

You can unlock color palettes by playing and I'm kind of surprised by one of them.

Can you guys tell me what what color 1. Matcha is on your devices? If you unlocked palletes, you can pause the game and change them at any time by tapping the status bar to access the menu.

I haven't unlocked the colors yet but presumably matcha is green, no? Matcha is Japanese powdered tea. It's this deep green color and is quite delicious!

Absolutely loving Downwell. Even changed my opinion on the phone controls.

Easily mobile's best action roguelite yet, and one of the best shooters on the platform. This is Vlambeer level of satisfying firepower and tight controls

I crumbled and picked it up for iOS since it seems like more of a quick session type of game and yep seems daaaaaamn fun!

FF_logo_reversed.png

Hi folks,

I’m the Production Coordinator at Six Foot Kid, a small studio based in Australia. We’re the developers behind Monster Dash and Band Stars.

We’re currently gearing up to release our first self published title, Forgotten Forest: Afterlife, a richly dark Match-3 puzzler set in an otherworldly forest between life and death.

I know what you’re thinking; not another Match-3 game!? Forgotten Forest: Afterlife is unique to the genre as players don’t simply clear tokens, they must guide the protagonist, Aster, through each puzzle.

First trailer:
https://youtu.be/v_LiOQzXL_c

Some other features;
  • Dark, atmospheric art
  • Strategic yet relaxing gameplay
  • No time limit
  • Unique core mechanic - guide character through the puzzle
  • 30 hand crafted levels
  • Over 85 memories to collect
  • Discover new strategies as you progress
    [*]Pay once, play forever
We’re aiming to have it out this month in time for Halloween. Given this is our first self published title we're pretty excited so if anybody has any questions or thoughts I’m happy to respond!

http://forgottenforestgame.com/

Saw this on touch arcade Eden, an upcoming mobile mmo with a full sandbox world, guilds, and world bosses in it.

The editor is right that this all sounds too good to be true and I doubt it will look like the pics by release or at least will have some features cut. Could see it ending up being a huge mess like Albion online.

Chuckpebble

I haven't unlocked the colors yet but presumably matcha is green, no? Matcha is Japanese powdered tea. It's this deep green color and is quite delicious!

Ah. I'm a goof ball. I have a green phone and I was like, "Yes, that matcha quite nicely." Silly uncultured American me.

colinp

Banned
Ah. I'm a goof ball. I have a green phone and I was like, "Yes, that matcha quite nicely." Silly uncultured American me.

Haha, no worries.

I'm American, too. Just live in Japan so I've got a bit of a leg up with these types of things. ;)

And I unlocked matcha and yep it looks nice, even on my white phone!

Chuckpebble

Yeah, I thought there was some way for the phone to know what color finish it had. You shoulda heard the conversation where I was trying to get siri to tell me if she knows the color of the phone she's housed in. Siri didn't quite get what I was saying so she answers like I was asking her favorite color, "it's green, but with more dimensions", which effed with my head even more.

Should have just googled "Matcha"

KingKong

Really enjoying Downwell but my thumb definitely starts hurting after a few tries. maybe i should have gotten it on steam instead

awp69

Oh , yeah this game is supposed to play better on a bigger screen. I played almost an hour of this game last night on my 6+ and didn't experience any cramping so steam version might be a better fit for you.

It controls well on my Mini 2 but even on it I think the directional buttons could have been a little further apart.

Voidance

Is Downwell controller compatible? That might resolve my woes. It definitely handles better on my Mini, but not quite ideal.

Top Bottom